Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: When do I use barrage? 10/08/2016 01:08 PM CDT

The more I think about it the more I like a symbiosis option for TM. It icreases Learning by making the spell more difficult. The symbiosis effect could give a variety of secondary effects. This answers two questions. How to make warrior Mage TM be something more than highly niche options, and how to give the warrior Mage, as masters of TM, something that would make them truly stand out in this area. Not al enhancement would be equal.

Examples of secondary effects ( each would be short lived with strength based on success)
- dispel mechanic
- burn effect (% over some few seconds)
- weakens armor
- negative to offensive or defensive power
- negative to stats
- knockdown
- immobilize
- drain effect
- delayed, second attack
- charge effect
- guaranteed price from random effects, like ignite.
Re: When do I use barrage? 10/10/2016 10:07 AM CDT
>>There's just not much we can do to a TM spell to make it better. Faster targeting, more damage, more accuracy... These are also not equally powerful buffs.

I think this is partially why I like the /idea/ of Barrage so much, even though the ability falls short in execution. Even though we have the same skillset as Clerics, and Moon Mages are another magic prime guild, we are the /Warrior/ Mage guild; and as Gauthus even points out in his welcome speech, that means skill at arms as well as skill at combative magics. In addition to the mechanical variance limitations you mentioned above on targeted magic, they are all covered more than enough by Pathways. Barrage is an ability that is as much, or more, about the physical weapon attack, as it is about the targeted spell going along with it. That is also the direction it can and should be improved upon, versus trying to use the tried and limited TM improvement options.

>>I want to make a WM spell battery of some type since both other Magic prime guilds have one, but determining what that would look like has been a major block for me. I don't want it to be a copy of either existing ability, but not sure how else to do it.

I guess I hadn't really thought that the WM were lacking something that the other magic prime guilds had until you mentioned it. I don't really know enough about those other guilds and their batteries to comment; however when you mentioned what it would look like, my first thought was to have it tied with familiars somehow. Familiars, after all, are a physical manifestation of our link to the elemental planes, thus our confound. In addition to the idea of a spell battery, I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of elemental charge battery. Although, right now I don't find it really necessary, but if a high cost ability like Barrage were made better, and/or there were more ways to spend charge during regular combat, it could be useful.

>>I have no intention of adding more functionality on top of Elemental Weapons, for this exact reason. Some people find it useful and some don't. To me, that is the mark of a well balanced ability so I don't want to tweak it too much.

I support this.
Re: When do I use barrage? 10/10/2016 10:27 AM CDT

A few more random ideas:

* TM split ability that turns any regular TM spell into an AOE spell. Maybe marking your first target, and then any damage you do to your second target is replicated on the first.

* TM redirect that doesn't block our own spells.

* TM barrier that infuses us when it deflects a TM spell. Granting charge and/or mana.

* TM burning type effect similar to a

* Creating wounds that can't be healed through normal means.

* TM oriented pet, similar to naga, but as an elemental. Make it do things not damage.

* More spell synergies. Think avatar (cartoon) where you can combine elemental spells to do new things.

On the spell synergies, here are a few thoughts:

- Rising mists + Rimefang = +1 blade restored per pulse.
- YS + sure footing = climbing boost.
- Ice patch + YS + sure footing = athletic boosts (YS + SF cast together on land, knowledge of IP requireid if cast in water). (literally, walk on water)
- Air bubble + SW = ranged defense bonus.
- EE refreshes tingle duration.
- Chain lightning has an additional pulse on targets affected by tingle.
- ES + AL = old static discharge
- ROS + MAB = free reloading + shooting spears.
- VoS + AC = people can't see you sneak in or out of rooms.
- FOI + IP (Tremor?) = sliding your fortress of ice in a direction, creating a mobile safe room.
- Fireball + MOA = spreading MOA to targets affected by the cinders.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page