What the crock is this?? 09/19/2016 09:56 PM CDT
I'm mad.

An Aether Sigilated Platinum ring auctioned to the public at a paid event. Those are special gifts to mark special occasions for the guild, not auction fodder for a paid event.

I hope to see this fixed in the future, and the rings made available to the guild, so everyone can attain one.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/19/2016 11:08 PM CDT
Sigilated rings have been auctioned at events before, raffled off at the High End Raffle and were available for 9 credits at the Ruins of Ulf'Hara.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/19/2016 11:32 PM CDT
Oh brother. Grow up.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/19/2016 11:42 PM CDT
This isn't anything to get in a twist over.

It'd be cool if we could get an alterer to visit the Guild sometime and retune the rings to different elements, though.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/19/2016 11:53 PM CDT

Does the element matter? (serious question)
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 12:10 AM CDT

>>Does the element matter? (serious question)

No, its just fluff messaging. Aether is simply an element that hasnt been used, and the ring was stated to be unique from Cesiro's warehouse, so I doubt there will be duplicates of it. Its just a nice fluff thing. They all do the same thing otherwise which is store 1 item.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 01:36 AM CDT
Simulated rings haven't commemorated anything in a decade. The ones that were commenorative are common as elemental dirt, too. Nothing to be irate about.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 08:07 AM CDT
>>Aether is simply an element that hasnt been used

I think there's one that was auctioned kinda-recently that was aether but otherwise yeah.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 11:26 AM CDT

All must bow before the call of the almighty dollar it seems. Items that were sacred to specific guilds prior are now up for cash grabs.

And apparently its alright with the moderators for a poster who is clearly in favor of micro transactions to insult the original poster simply because he disagree's with the trend.

<Oh brother. Grow up.

Dark days my text based RPG brethren, dark days.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 11:38 AM CDT

I think you misunderstood. Ranting about something as being sacred is laughable, thats all. They've sold these in the past at other events. They are not exclusive guild items and havent been for some time. I'm sorry you dont like the mt events, youve made it very clear, but you can stop being so argumentative about it against people who do. We've heard you, we get it. Move on please.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 11:57 AM CDT

> Items that were sacred to specific guilds prior are now up for cash grabs.

These rings have been on trader tables for years. Anyone could get them for a small amount of plat. In fact, there's a water one right now in the wicked witch if you want to go setup an altar around it. (PS: That was meant to be a joke, not an insult).
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 11:59 AM CDT

I'm not sure I would have doubled down on being insulting to the original poster. I didn't find his post wild or lengthy in the least.

<Ranting about something as being sacred is laughable, thats all

Passionate? Sure but I bet we are all passionate about the game in our own ways.

As for myself I only posted because I was genuinely surprised the item had been auctioned and your disrespect towards another had been allowed.

Inequity hurts us all wouldn't you agree?
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 12:01 PM CDT

>>As for myself I only posted because I was genuinely surprised the item had been auctioned and your disrespect towards another had been allowed.

Personally I think making a thread called "what the crock is this" was disrespectful enough that it warranted a simple message. Its ok to be dissatisfied, but that is clearly a message to the GM's and it comes off with an air of entitlement that is frankly rude. Maybe I misunderstood it but thats how I took it /shrug.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 12:10 PM CDT

> Inequity hurts us all wouldn't you agree?

Sure, but this is the very definition of equality. Other than thieves and maybe necros, which guild has ever had an item auctioned that was only allowed to be owned by a member of that guild?
Re: What the crock is this?? :NUDGE: 09/20/2016 12:43 PM CDT
Hey folks - Let's stick to debating the points, and less bashing the posters.

Additionally, let's focus on the debate about rings, and elements therein, and leave the Micro-Trans topic for its own home.

Kurdik
Dragonrealms Board Moderator
Any questions or comments, please contact me at DR-Kurdik@play.net, Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 01:26 PM CDT
>>Items that were sacred to specific guilds prior are now up for cash grabs.

The rings are still guild-specific. Non Warrior Mages can only wear them and nothing more, similar to the first (and only?) ones that were given out as an event gift a decade+ ago when Galain (or whoever) hit 100th (or whatever).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 01:38 PM CDT
First was Galain's 100th, yup (Fire)
Second iirc was when the new guild opened in Muspar'i (Air)

Rehlyn

Well, see, there's the linchpin of why everything you're saying is wrong. There's the fulcrum. There's the centerpiece. There's the turkey on the Thanksgiving table.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 01:57 PM CDT
I second my request for an element swapper, then. You still keep the exterior appearance of the ring, but it would be a nice cosmetic RP nod if your character is affiliated with or focuses on a particular element.

Voyle, by the by, is water-aligned, uses the Jaal Getha title and has a water ring (from Ulf'Hara). I say this to preempt any grousing about how this suggestion is just meant to benefit myself, as is the usual go-to around the forums. I will admit that the aether messaging is super classy, though.

Were there ever any Earth- or Electricity-based rings?
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 02:18 PM CDT

>>Were there ever any Earth- or Electricity-based rings?

Nope
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 02:22 PM CDT
>Were there ever any Earth- or Electricity-based rings?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Wide_sigilated_ring_carved_with_several_mountain_ranges Earth

Electricity is the only elemental plane that has spatial dimensions. Who knows if that works for or against sigilated rings attuned to it. Every element but electricity has a sigilated ring now.

Vote:
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 02:23 PM CDT
Oh, and element X, I guess.

Vote:
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 03:17 PM CDT

>Oh, and element X, I guess.

I want an element X one really bad now.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 03:36 PM CDT
>>Were there ever any Earth- or Electricity-based rings?

My mistake, there is an electricity attuned sigilated ring. Forgot the high end raffle saw a sack with earth, aether and electricity sigilated rings.

Vote:
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 06:07 PM CDT
I'm hoping that plain sigilated platinum rings are eventually an enchantment, with nicer-looking rings reserved for quests and auctions. They've been such common items for so long that I don't see any sensible argument against them being player craftable (maybe a small time limitation on how many can get churned out)l.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 09:29 PM CDT

So, lots of hate. Apologies all around, nobody else seems to feel the same way I do, which is fine.

For me, these rings have always come with special events. Fire was at Galain 100, Air Muspari, Water was.. guild fest (which i disagree with but whatever it was open for everyone).

When the fire ring came out, I asked if there was going to be a ring for each element. I was very very excited to have a ring of each element. I've been patiently waiting for new guild events to grab another ring from some element I don't have, because the established pattern for these rings was "Open for everyone to grab so long as you attend the event".

Auctions break that pattern, they establish exclusivity. If there's some IG/RP reason for their being only one ring for a specific element, so be it, but at least incorporate the guild somehow into the reasoning and have some RP plot/adventure/quest that ends up with the guild owning the rings.

I did not know there were rings auctioned prior to this one. It does not change my opinion that sigiliated rings should have been an open for everyone item at some big event, and not auction fodder, especially not auction fodder at a non-Warrior Mage "thing" like Duskruin. (FYI, I don't care if it's microtrans or not, that's not the point so I apologize if there was emphasis placed there)

Also, it's really not fair to the rest of the people who aren't warrior mages to have an auction slot be taken up with something they can't even use.

TL:DR - sigilated rings are for Warrior Mages, so only make them available at warrior mage related events.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 10:39 PM CDT
>When the fire ring came out, I asked if there was going to be a ring for each element. I was very very excited to have a ring of each element. I've been patiently waiting for new guild events to grab another ring from some element I don't have, because the established pattern for these rings was "Open for everyone to grab so long as you attend the event".

It sounds like you have had a jarring experience, but for the players who have been playing Dragonrealms in the thirteen years since the events you remember, sigilated rings have been auction items.

After the air rings were distributed for the Mer'Kresh opening, they were not seen again for half a decade. The next time they appeared was as an auction item (I think in a sack of three) at what I vaguely recall as an early Hollow's Eve, but it might have been the plat-side guildfest. They have been occasional auction items since. The recent Ulf'hara event has been the only wide distribution of sigilated rings in over a decade, so you must understand us reacting with ... alarmed perplexity at someone coming in shouting with alarm about the Bush presidency.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/20/2016 11:33 PM CDT

I think it's a perspective issue. What might be considered a mundane item to you, is considered all together something much more to someone else.

For instance I witnessed two Warrior Mages lamenting the item being auctioned in the fashion it was and how it had personally pained them.

It might have just been a nuance of their role play, perhaps not.

<So, lots of hate. Apologies all around, nobody else seems to feel the same way I do, which is fine.

I for one cringe seeing someone post with such a disclaimer and am sorry you feel the need to do so.

Just because you feel your opinion is an unpopular one or you may get made fun of does not mean it isn't valid or due respect.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/25/2016 01:24 AM CDT
its not like the ring was auctioned to a barb. the purchaser is a warrior mage.

back then sigilated rings were top end for utility and are still pretty good, but it is now a post elemental weapon game.

the sacred stuff was sold at the opening of the havrol war mage shop, dragonscale ect ect like what? 10 years ago?

besides, sacred does not have to mean rare. to some people trees are sacred, and they are all over the joint.

-Munch-
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/25/2016 09:00 AM CDT

> the sacred stuff was sold at the opening of the havrol war mage shop, dragonscale ect ect like what? 10 years ago?

This is a good point. One man's sacred cow is another man's lunch. It doesn't mean either are or should be limited in viewing this thing the way they wish, but neither should ask the other to change to suit their needs.
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/25/2016 10:47 AM CDT

>>> the sacred stuff was sold at the opening of the havrol war mage shop, dragonscale ect ect like what? 10 years ago?

Oh you mean a warrior mage event?
Re: What the crock is this?? 09/26/2016 12:16 AM CDT
> I think it's a perspective issue. What might be considered a mundane item to you, is considered all together something much more to someone else.

That's the reason there's so much contention here (and name-calling). It's literally impossible to take into account the emotional resonance such an item might have to every person that plays the game.

Look, there are going to be some items that are rare. I think this is good for the game. But rarity means hard to get - there's no way around that. And I'm fine with this particular item being rare. As I've said before, I like events like Duskruin because it opens up the possibility of getting something rare for the people that aren't good at generating wealth in-game and don't want to encourage AFK plat farming by paying for plats with cash. And there are a number of people like that. Do a lot of the big plat-sellers still end up getting that stuff? Sure. But they were going to get that stuff anyway, and will continue to do so until the plat-based auctions are refined. But at least this offers a chance for others.

> back then sigilated rings were top end for utility and are still pretty good, but it is now a post elemental weapon game.

Munch is very right about this, and this is a large part of the reason why I think it's not a big deal. The elemental weapons may not be superior to the best crafted weapons, but they're available to everyone. I don't use them, but I like that they're there.

Finally, while these rings are rare, they're not THAT rare. Last time I checked, the fire ones were going for something like a few thousand plats? For a 100+ WM, that's an attainable goal, if you work towards it just from the money gained while hunting.

Full disclosure - I still have my fire ring from Galain's 100th circle celebration and am happy with it, so I felt no need to compete for this one.

- Saragos
Re: What the crock is this?? 10/03/2016 05:53 PM CDT

>exclusivity

There is not an exclusive ring...yet. Armifer is crafting that for my necromancer so he can turn all WMs who have a ring into zombies and control them with the uh.. single ring.
Re: What the crock is this?? 10/11/2016 03:42 AM CDT

I just want to get my hands on a fire one. I've got the air, but a "pop" just isnt dramatic enough for me conjuring up my favorite blade....

What I'd give for a fire one....