Renown scrolls? 05/23/2014 09:55 AM CDT
I was looking at elanthipedia and noticed, do warrior mages only have one renown scroll?

It'd be nice if we could have a few more? Maybe one for tm, one for total weapon ranks, et cetera?

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/23/2014 02:02 PM CDT
Why we were just having a forum chat about that... last year. Okay, so not 'just having.'

It starts here,
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/Suggestions%20-%20Warrior%20Mages/view/1013

Promptly followed by this commendation from Melete.

>If you guys can compile a list of what renown scroll should go where, it's something that can be looked into.

>Things are super hectic right now with 3.1 and HE and all that goodness, so this would be more of an "eventually" thing than a "soon" thing, even if the bosses approve it. But we can definitely look into it!

>Melete

However, we never got around to deciding on a list! Everybody got distracted discussing sorcery. Let's start that again, though. Just not the sorceyr bit.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/23/2014 05:41 PM CDT
<<Why we were just having a forum chat about that... last year. Okay, so not 'just having.'

thank you! I forgot about that conversation.

taken From Powerhaus's post and modified for what, I'd like:

highest targeted magic - (Shard)
highest Circle (Crossing)
highest overall weapons - (Haven)
highest overall survival -(Forfeblahblah)
highest overall lore - (Muspar'i)
highest overall armor - (citadel)
highest summoning - (Ratha)
highest sorcery - (Mer'kresh)

--

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/23/2014 07:59 PM CDT
I like looking at these again. But rather than just overall of skill sets per guildhall, why not put like skills together for the different rosters. How about something like:

Shard- Attack magics (TM and Debil)
Crossing- Circle
Haven- Offensive combat (Top three weapons and Tactics)
Forf- Survival instincts (Average of Athletics, Stealth, Perception, Locks, and First Aid)
Muspari- Crafters (Highest two crafting skills and Scholarship)
Citadel- Defensive combat (Top two armors, Shield, Parry, and Evasion)
Ratha- Summoning master (Summoning and maybe Engineering for talisman crafting)
Merkresh- Dark arts (Sorcery)

Please feel free to suggest other groupings of skills.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/23/2014 11:31 PM CDT
I kinda like your list too.

the only one I don't like (and this is a personal bias) is top two crafting. We're Warrior Mages and I think all our lists should be focused around effective butt kicking or avoiding getting our butts kicked. Leave the scholarship and crafting to the stay-at-home mages in the other tower. ;)

--

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/23/2014 11:55 PM CDT
>>I think all our lists should be focused around effective butt kicking or avoiding getting our butts kicked.

This. Towards this end the lore related list on the previous suggestion should be replaced with number of deaths.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 01:18 AM CDT
Or maybe how intellectual the mage is? How about average of Wisdom, Intelligence, Discipline, Charisma?
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 02:39 AM CDT
Since the official guild policy is that sorcerers are quietly executed, it'd be kind of weird to have a sorcery register.

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 02:58 AM CDT
<<Since the official guild policy is that sorcerers are quietly executed, it'd be kind of weird to have a sorcery register.

Sorcerer != sorcery skill.

I highly doubt the guild is going to execute anyone for being proficient in casting Clear Vision.

Now if they started spouting fountains of blackfire at everything in range then that would likely get the executioner's attention.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 04:02 AM CDT
<<Sorcerer != sorcery skill.

We make that distinction. the general population does not. He has a point.

--

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 04:30 AM CDT
<<We make that distinction. the general population does not. He has a point.

No, depending on what you meant by 'we,' this is not an OOC-only distinction nor is it a distinction only the warrior mage guild does or does not make. There is a very clear IC difference for the general population between casting a spell from another guild's spell book (sorcery) and casting a spell that either utilizes multiple mana types simultaneously or is designed to (Sorcery.) The former doesn't cause a single batted eyelash. The latter has everyone and his dog running to call the guards on you for forbidden practices. They both happen to be governed by the same OOC skill.

The reason why Sorcery is outlawed by the Warrior Mage guild is because of its history with Blackfire, which falls into the second category and thus is a subset of the whole 'capital S sorcery is bad' thing.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 04:37 AM CDT
>I highly doubt the guild is going to execute anyone for being proficient in casting Clear Vision.

I really wouldn't put this past the guild, lore and history considered. There's still that absurd proclamation from the Lord of the Void in the foyer of the crossing guild, and the extreme conservative guild theme that includes leaving three towers as burnt-out-husks as a warning to the result of inconstant vigilance.

I'm reasonably certain Warrior Mages are some of the most aware of the distinction between little-s and big-S sorcery, but also the most likely to see little-s sorcery as a slippery and inevitable slope.

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 04:46 AM CDT
<<I'm reasonably certain Warrior Mages are some of the most aware of the distinction between little-s and big-S sorcery, but also the most likely to see little-s sorcery as a slippery and inevitable slope.

This is doubtful to me because of the functional differences between one and the other. Also, the guild certainly lets you circle with it so why should their conservative senses be offended by having a list of those most proficient in casting other spells.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 05:02 AM CDT
Can we not have sorcery de-rail this thread. Again. thanks.

--

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 05:06 AM CDT
<<Can we not have sorcery de-rail this thread. Again. thanks.

In a thread about which renown scrolls the guild should have there is a discussion about whether sorcery skill should be included on a renown scroll or not. I see no derail, since this is perfectly on topic.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 05:10 AM CDT
Last post on it. this thread was attempted a year ago. I actually forgot about it and someone was kind enough to remind me. this exact same thing happened and the thread went nowhere because we bickered over sorcery.

One again, I'm asking that sorcery and warrior mages be argued elsewhere. Lets just stick to ideas for renown scrolls. Please.

--

Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 05:15 AM CDT
<<One again, I'm asking that sorcery and warrior mages be argued elsewhere. Lets just stick to ideas for renown scrolls. Please.

So we're not allowed to debate the merits of those suggestions then? Very well then, Mr. Moderator, Sir.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 05:17 AM CDT
Screw it. I'm done with the thread.

I hope we get renown scrolls.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 05:34 AM CDT
I went and looked at this other thread to see this epic derailing... only to find a small handful of posts describing the differences between the different applications of sorcery.

I think the reason why that thread didn't go anywhere has a lot more to do with apathy with the subject matter than any sort of thread derailing.

FWIW, I'm personlly fine with sorcery skill being included on a register, whether individually or as part of a package of skills. Mer'Kresh seems the most likely guild hall to have such a register placed because of its more progressive guild leader, or possibly Chyolvea Tayeu'a because of the nature of the guild hall.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 11:10 AM CDT
>>Also, the guild certainly lets you circle with it

I think sorcery is restricted from being used as an nth magic skill for War Mages. Only ones who can use it are Bards, Moon Mages, and Necros. Go fig.

That said, there's no reason why there wouldn't be some IC-yet-still-unsanctioned list that displays highest sorcery. Warrior Mage sorcery is going to be a thing, so there's no reason why there couldn't be a scroll for it in whatever location secretly embraces the ability.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Renown scrolls? 05/24/2014 02:48 PM CDT
Yeah the guild doesn't recognize the skill. Registers have allways been clothed in official sanction, so putting a skill the guild doesn't acknowledge seems weird.

How its presented is probably everything... its just incongruous with the guild lore.

So does anyone have any non sorcery comments on the list or should we send it in?

Re: Renown scrolls? 11/08/2020 09:17 PM CST
Old forum post bump.

I'd like WM renown scrolls to not be 3 of them circle based.

kthxbai
Re: Renown scrolls? 11/16/2020 02:16 PM CST

I've thought warrior mages having lackluster renown scrolls was strange for a long time. All the other guilds aside from the hidden ones have scrolls that show things other than circle. It's almost like they just forgot about us.