Prev_page Previous 1
Update 12/24/2004 07:44 AM CST
Greetings!

Just to update everyone on where I've been/what I have been up to.

To get the bad news out of the way -- the Great Spell Review work has stalled. But there are reasons, read further :D.

My project the past week or so (not including the week of vacation I just got back in town from), has been getting things in line for this cambrinth weapon auction. The selection is looking quite lovely :). So bring out your plats! Heeee.

Also Solomon asked me to create a unique auction-quality magical doo-dad, which is complete and almost through QC.

Next, whoever ordered the snow for the Mideast needs to be hung by their genitalia while each hair on their body is plucked by a pair of forceps wired to the hot-end of a glue gun. So there's been a couple days that I've spent digging myself out of the 16 or so inches of snow on the ground. Plus going in to work to help staffing out in the crazy weather, hee. (16 inches is a new record for us for snowfall in 24 hours, go Bucks.)

So where does that leave things now and what is the new timetable assuming nothing else comes up.

1.) Finish up QCs on anything I have left in it.

2.) Finish the cambrinth weapon stuff (this will probably take til around the 1st of the year).

3.) Resume The Great Spell Review. (Projecting this will take at least the month of January to complete).

4.) A Great Bug Hunt and the ensuing Whacking Days. (Month of February).

5.) Get on with the Fams and Enchanting (March).

The three big caveats to this timetable are as follows.

1.) Work. Winter, at least in Ohio, can be a busy time for Firefighters. Lovely things like weather recalls are prone to happen.

2.) School. Paramedic class starts up again in January. Depending on how much time that eats up -- it could affect my productivity in DR. It didn't seem to slow it too much this fall, but I've got a tougher quarter this time around. Cardiology, yum.

3.) Projects that my Bosses want me to jump on. This can always happen, such as Solomon wanting me to code up a new magic doo-dad. I gotta take these as they come :).

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, or if you celebrate something else -- have a Happy Holiday. I've got the best Guild to work with, and you guys rock.

Cheerios,

~Valdrik

<--- Warrior Mage Haiku --->
My pants are aflame
I did not learn water spells
so now I must ARGGHHHH

http://www.livejournal.com/users/valdrik/

http://www.naebunny.com/TopFrameSet.htm
Spell Review Update 03/08/2005 07:22 AM CST
Greetings,

I just thought I would update you as to what exactly is left in the Spell Review. There are, if I'm counting correctly 13 spells left to update. All of the contested spells will have to be rolled in all at once, due to the mechanics change involved (so those will be released last). The spells left are as follows:

Ring of Spears
Gar Zeng
Paeldryth's Wrath
Aether Cloak
Fireball
Ethereal Shield
Aether Lash
Ice Patch
Fist of Stone
Thunderclap
Magnetic Ballistae
MOF
Shockwave

Also being included in the Spell Review are the release of two new spells.

Mark of Arhat
(New 5th tier Lightning spell, tentatively named Lightning Storm)

~V

<--- Warrior Mage Haiku --->
My pants are aflame
I did not learn water spells
so now I must ARGGHHHH

http://www.livejournal.com/users/valdrik/

http://www.naebunny.com/TopFrameSet.htm
Mantle of Flame, Update 06/25/2005 02:44 AM CDT
Greetings,

A few changes have been made to the MOF spell.

- The spell's hiding penalty has been moved into the stealth core, MOF now penalizes -all- stealth actions, not just hiding.

- MOF now bonuses the Warrior Mages' brawling with fire damage

- The amount of mana you put into the spell now directly impacts the potential "additional" damage a brawling attack can dish out

- Brawling attacks enhanced by MOF can now ignite naphtha

/salute

-Ssra

The ultimate in reasoning is to come to the realization that there are still an infinite number of things that are unreasonable. -Blaise Pascal

This message was originally posted in The Warrior Mages, Magic Talk - Current Warrior Mage Magic. To discuss the above follow the link below.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=23&topic=11&message=5138
Update on MOF 06/26/2005 03:20 AM CDT
Heya folks, sorry about the issues with MOF, we're working to resolve them. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long. In the meantime keep a river handy in case you want to extinguish it. The deeper the better. =)

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"
Warrior Mage Spell Updates 07/08/2005 01:09 PM CDT
As part of the Warrior Mage spell review, in a few moments I will be rolling in some minor updates to two Warrior Mage spells: Ethereal Shield and Fist of Stone. These changes will be live in all instances of the game. Ethereal Shield's protection has been increased by 10%, while Fist of Stone can now be self-cast to place the stone fist in your hand, provided you have enough skill to do so (as well as an empty hand, of course).

The plain and simple truth is that the truth is rarely plain and never simple.
Guild Status Update 11/08/2005 04:21 AM CST
Hey everyone,

I suppose you want to know where development stands right now for the guild. What's being worked on? What's at the top of the list?Well, here's a quick rundown of the stuff that's happening.

1) Aethereal Pathway Quests 5-8

I've been plugging away at these, and have the actual quests about 30% coded at the moment. Once they get written they have to be tested and debugged, and then I get to integrate them into the existing quest structure. Whee! I'm still hoping to get the coding and debugging done by Christmas, so that they can go into QC shortly thereafter.

Also, I know the syntax fix to the quests for APs 1-4 is taking a little longer to release than I intended. It's still waiting to be QCd, and I don't have any idea how long it will take at this point, as it's considered by most to be a 'non-essential' fix. I'll keep plugging away to get it checked, because it's something I want to get out of the way, especially before I start combining the quests for APs 5-8 with the existing quest system.

2) Cantrips

When I first joined the guild team back in May, my first major project for the guild was to rewrite the cantrip code to make it easier to add new cantrips to the system. After I did this I reworked a few of our existing cantrips, fixed a lot of bugs, and created six new cantrips. This project is far enough along in QC to announce its existence, but I can't tell you what the new cantrips are, yet. They're fun to play around with though, that's for sure. :)

3) Spell Review

Because of the lack of members on Team Magic for a few months, my progress in obtaining magic clearance was basically nil. However, we're reorganizing even now and I finally feel that we're getting somewhere. As some of you may remember from one of Valdrik's old posts, anyone who wants to gain magic clearance has to code up and release a spell. I'm working on one for Warrior Mages, of course. So even if it has been taking awhile for me to get cracking on the spell review, at least you know you'll get a new spell out of it.

4) New Spells

Aside from the above-mentioned new spell I'm working on, I've begun putting together a proposal for Lightning Storm (based on a few suggestions on the boards, and some devious ideas of my own). I'm also continuing to work on Mark of Arhat, though I won't be able to actually do any testing in it until I get magic clearance.

5) Familiars

I haven't heard from Rottcloar in awhile, so I really can't say what the status of the familiar rewrite is. Without knowing if he's still working on it, it's hard to jump in and know where to begin. I'm hoping I can get some help soon on this front, but it may be something I have to deal with myself after the AP quests are finished and the spell review is well underway again.

6) Arm-Worn Shields

Nope, I haven't forgotten about these. I tried talking to the people involved in making this happen, but I have a feeling that something got lost along the way. I have no control over that, so I've decided to try my hand at making a few of my own. I'm not sure if they'll ever see the light of day, but I certainly hope I can release a few in time for the holiday shopping season. We'll see.

7) Sentinels

As far as I know, these big boys are still in QC. As Chakram may have mentioned, there's quite a bit to them, and a lot of things that need checking. I'm helping where I can, but this is really his baby.

8) Odds and Ends

There are a few other, smaller projects that aren't necessarily related to WMs that I've been called to work on, but they aren't interfering with my work on the guild itself. In fact, I'm doing my best to ensure that there's a WM-specific twist in these side projects, just to keep it interesting. :)

- GM Wythor

Cantrip Update 12/13/2005 03:02 AM CST
I have some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is that the new cantrips are still in QC.

The good news is that the new cantrip system is ready for release pending a final check. The six existing cantrips are also ready for re-release. I decided that sitting on the updated system and the bug fixes to the existing cantrips for the sake of the new cantrips wasn't the right way to go.

As soon as the final checks have been made, it will be ready for release. I can't give an exact timeframe, but I'm crossing my fingers for some time this week. The changes to existing cantrips will also be live at that point.

The new cantrips will have to wait a bit longer, but with the bulk of the system already in place QCing will be somewhat smoother.

I want to stress some facts about the "new" cantrip system and the re-release of the existing cantrips.

1) No requirements were changed for any of the cantrips. You still need to know two spells from a particular elemental book in order to learn the existing first-tier cantrip of that element.

2) Most of the system changes were behind the scenes to remove hard-coded requirements and stuff that was making it difficult, if not impossible, to design new cantrips.

3) What's visible of the cantrip system changes will be geared towards making it more user-friendly:

3a) When asking your Guildleader about cantrips, you will see two lists. The first list will show what cantrips you have already learned. The second list will show you what cantrips you are able to learn but haven't yet. You will not be able to see cantrips you cannot learn. You can still ask about any cantrip, but the Guildleader will only tell you about a cantrip if it's one you are qualified to learn.

3b) When preparing a cantrip, you will be able to see the name of the cantrip.

3c) When gesturing to cast the cantrip, you may GESTURE without a target. In most cases, this will cause the cantrip to be self-cast with the same effect as if you had GESTUREd <self>.

3d) Some (several) typos and bugs were squashed.

3e) Burning Touch was upgraded. When you attempt to burn away your mustache and beard, it will now check to see if you have an Ethereal Shield around you. If you pass a skill check, you will successfully prevent damage by moving the shield to the surface of your skin. No more razor burn! :)

3f) Water Globe was upgraded:
-- It will check properly for stance settings and for shields worn on the arm or held in the hand.
-- You will be able to GESTURE <person> to use Targeted Magic skill instead of Light Thrown skill to determine your ability to hit a target.
-- I added a combat check that will prevent you from throwing/casting at someone when you are in combat. Likewise, you will not be able to throw or cast this on another person if he/she is in combat.
-- Mantle of Flame will protect against this cantrip.
-- You will be able drop water balls and snowballs so that others can pick them up and throw them; you can also give them away. Be warned that when you release these creations they will dissolve in a few minutes unless picked up by a Warrior Mage who knows this cantrip. Only those who have learned this cantrip can hold them indefinitely. :)
-- Finally, a new verb was added.

The aforementioned changes are not yet live. I will post again when the system is ready for release.

- GM Wythor

Update on Aethereal Pathways Quests 12/13/2005 03:36 AM CST
Greetings!

After examining the logistics of the quest system I developed for the APs 5-8, I've decided that waiting to release all four quests at the same time would not only be unfair to the guild (nobody wants to wait longer than necessary), it would also cause a lot of grief for the questers.

Therefore, to avoid excessive headaches and get these abilities out as soon as possible, I've decided to take the following steps:

1) Get the quest system finalized in such a way that all four quests can be built separately.

2) Develop each quest sequentially, releasing it as it is finished.

What this means is that instead of waiting six or more months for all four AP quests to be finished and released as a package, I'm going to release the individual quests as they come out of QC and are approved to go live.

The first quest in particular, for AP #5, is relatively simple and should be ready about the same time the quest system is finalized and ready to roll. While I can't provide a solid timeline for this, my conservative goal is a 1Q 2006 release for the first quest. The others will follow as they are completed.

- GM Wythor

Cantrip System Update 12/16/2005 09:33 PM CST
Hey guys,

On Saturday night I'll be releasing the updated cantrip system -- as well as the upgraded versions of all six existing cantrips -- into Platinum.

If nothing breaks or goes horribly awry, I'll be releasing them into Prime and The Fallen Sunday night or sometime Monday.

- GM Wythor

Update 01/31/2006 04:51 AM CST
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would post an update on a few things and let you know that I haven't disappeared.

- I've been fighting off a nasty cold/cough for the past week or so. With my health not at 100% and RL work getting crazy, it was all I could do to keep on top of Merelew II issues that kept cropping up. I wasn't able to do much in the way of guild development until a few days ago.

- I'm glad you guys enjoyed the grand opening of War and Craft. As with my first attempt at anything I had hoped for the best, but it certainly exceeded my grandest expectations. I hope to bring back this tent in the future (with a different variety of merchandise). I know there's at least one thing that I didn't get a chance to make for Merelew II that I'll be preparing for the next big celebration (whenever that happens to be). I've also been picking up some great ideas from your posts.

- The past few days I've been making extensive progress on the Aethereal Pathway quests. At this point I would say the coding for the quest mechanics, quest area, and first quest are 75%-80% finished. That isn't too bad, considering I was at around 40% a week ago. There are a few more things to finish, and a bit of text to write. I'll need to do some extensive testing once the coding is finished, but what is there so far looks very good.

- I'll be getting around to the Pattern Hues color contest as soon as I am able. I have a feeling you may be surprised by the list of winners. :)

- GM Wythor

Chain Lightning Updates 03/01/2006 01:31 AM CST
Hey everyone,

In a few days Chain Lightning is going to be undergoing a few changes.

Okay, now that the groaning and muttered curses have abated, here are a few details on what's going to change with this spell -- from the Warrior Mage's perspective.

First, the default cast of the spell will no longer randomly hit everything in the room with you. It will only hit things engaged in combat with you. This should keep you from hitting innocent passers-by, while still allowing you to deal electrical death to those enemies who are threatening you directly.

There will be a new feature, CAST AREA. This will perform exactly like the current version of the spell, randomly selecting from all valid targets in the room.

Due to the above changes, hitting a PC with the CAST AREA version of the spell will grant victims consent on you. Yes, we will be able to tell the difference. If you strike someone with the default cast of the spell, it means an aggressive action was taken beforehand by either you or your victim, and the situation will be investigated if the victim cries foul. If you are found to have instigated the attack, your victim will have consent -- just as he normally would for any other aggressive action.

On the plus side, you won't have to worry about hitting people you don't want to hit, so you can hunt without fear of random horribly electrocuted corpses ruining your day. There are other benefits of this update, but I'll leave you find them out for yourself.

Before anyone calls me names for making changes without bothering to consider the ramifications for regular players, I would like to point out the following: I did hunt for over an hour in a real situation using the updated version of this spell, to see how it would affect you guys. No special GM powers, just my PCs normal stats and items, and normal genned creatures for my level. I was quite pleased with the changes, and found no problems hunting with it whatsoever. In fact, one of the things I was pleasantly surprised with was that the spell had more tactical uses since the default cast only struck enemies actually threatening me.

The power of the spell hasn't been tampered with in any way. I'll be taking a look at the nerve damage of the spell at some point, but that's not part of this update.

The spell will still hit things in hiding or invisible.

The spell will not hit things with a discharged Ethereal Shield.

The changes will be rolled into Prime and The Fallen first, and I'll post just prior to that to let you know it's live. A few days after that, if nothing breaks, Platinum will receive the update.

Any discussion/comments/complaints regarding these changes should be posted in the Warrior Mage folder.

- GM Wythor

Updates to the DR spell webpage 03/03/2006 05:22 PM CST
If you check the DR spell page for Warrior Mages, you may notice a couple of new things. I also remove the listed requirement of Ethereal Shield for Aether Lance, since that was wrong. Expect an update to the Chain Lightning spell in a few days when it's live in all instances.

If there are any other spells that have missing or incorrect prerequisites, or are missing some important information, please let me know.

- GM Wythor

Progress Update 03/19/2006 09:00 PM CST
Hey everyone,

The past few days I've been doing some heavy work on the AP quests. My plan is to get the quest for the 5th pathway into QC by the end of the week. There's still a lot of testing to do and holes to plug up, but it basically works. I'm in the process of trying to keep bad stuff from happening and giving GMs tools to fix anything that might break. :)

QC may take awhile because we've got to synch up the QC of the quest mechanics with the QC of the area itself. We also need to adjust the quest difficulty to make sure it's not too difficult for those who have just reached the circle requirement. This, of course, means plenty of test runs.

In other news, there are three spells from the spell review in QC at this time: Fire Ball, Gar Zeng, and Aether Lash. Gar Zeng and Fire Ball are part of the Pattern Hues project, but Aether Lash isn't. More information will be forthcoming as these spells progress through QC.

If things seem to be progressing slowly, please bear with me. As a brand new member of the Tech QC team I've been assigned several things that need to be looked at that aren't part of the Warrior Mage guild. On the bright side, I'm learning quite a bit from these other QC projects and I am using that knowledge to aid my guild-related endeavors.

- GM Wythor

Aether Lash Updates 04/12/2006 12:16 AM CDT
A few minutes ago I released the updated version of Aether Lash in all instances of the game as part of the Warrior Mage spell review. There are two main changes to this spell:

1) It is now functioning on the new TM model. The minimum prep has been lowered significantly, the mana cap has been increased very slightly, and the difficulty of the spell has been lowered quite a bit.

2) The spell does not require an empty hand to cast.

Enjoy!

- GM Wythor

Status Update 04/18/2006 03:32 AM CDT
Just a couple updates on where development is currently.

I'm pleased to announce that the quests for the Aethereal Pathway abilities 5, 6, 7, and 8 are (finally) in QC! A big thanks to GM Chakram and GM Reisten (go Team Warrior Mage!), who both put in countless hours of work designing, testing, and perfecting the quests. Without their dedication to making things happen, the quests would certainly be nowhere near finished.

In other news, I've made a few QC fixes to the new cantrips (nothing important changed, don't worry). At this point I'm trying to coordinate a release date for Platinum players. I'll post as soon as I know more.

- GM Wythor

Status Update 05/25/2006 03:18 AM CDT
Hello, ladies and gents. I'd just like to take a moment to post a quick 'where we are in development' message.

Aethereal Pathway Quests

The majority of the big stuff (quest mechanics and utilities, as well as the quest for the 5th pathway) has been through technical QC and is now up for creative QC. We're still waiting on some of the area QC to go through, but most of this is finished. I won't have an ETA until the project is through the first stages of creative QC, but the end is finally in sight.

Spells

Although the situation with the magic system has caused setbacks, there are a couple pieces of good news.

The rewritten version of Shockwave is being tested and should be ready for QC very soon. I'm very happy with it as it seems to be far more powerful than the original, with some lovely messaging thrown in for good measure.

Paeldryth's Wrath, due to the recent adjustments to contested spells, needed some serious emergency tweaking. The new version of this spell is now being tested. The new version uses an SvA attack to push back/knock down the victim, but won't cause damage by itself. A TM air attack will strike the victim a few seconds after the knockback to cause damage. This should benefit the caster since the victim can be knocked off balance before the TM attack is made. Oh, and the knockback part of the spell also has the potential to blow naphtha in your hands on the victim.

Anther's Call, Aegis of Granite, and Mark of Arhat are still in development, and I do bits of work on each of them when I have the time. :)

Outside the Crossings Guild

Though not a high priority project, I've been discussing this problem with other members of the Warrior Mage team and we've narrowed down the possible solutions considerably. Now that we have a good idea of what we want to do, we can start coding solutions and testing them out. As Chakram said though, I'm the one doing most of the coding. Poor me. ;)

Titles

I've sent out a new batch of titles for consideration, but haven't received a response on them yet. Hopefully we'll be able to get the requirements for Battle Mage ironed out in this batch -- I forgot about it in the previous batch. I've also been in touch with the Barbarian GMs concerning the WM titles taken from the Barbarian-only list. We've reached a consensus on altering the four titles in question to preserve Barbarians' ownership of those titles while still maintaining the spirit of the original WM versions. As with the other titles, the requested changes are pending approval.

Cantrips

No new cantrips are planned at this time. The handful that were released will have to tide everyone over for now.

Familiars

No new news to report, aside from the possible familiar alterer visitation.

- GM Wythor

Status Update 07/09/2006 04:29 AM CDT
Just letting you guys know what the Warrior Mage team has been up to for the past few weeks. I expect to be doing a lot of spell tweaking when the magic changes go live, so the focus at the moment is getting the spells 'in development limbo' fixed and/or released. This includes Chain Lightning, Fire Ball, Shockwave, and Paeldryth's Wrath.

Okay, now the list of stuff.

- Identified and fixed the bug that was causing the buggy "screams in pain" messaging when lopping off critter arms with a spell. Waiting for QC on this one, should be released along with the fix to buggy stun messaging for Ball Lightning since they're both in the same part of the code.

- Squished a bug in Ethereal Shield that was causing some wonky bonusing.

- Identified the bug that's been preventing those lovely 'water-zap' electrical effects in deeper water. This is in part of the magic system that's already been overhauled, so it'll probably have to wait for the release of the magic updates before it can get fixed.

- Revitalized the Water Purification spell (looking into this was what prompted me to dig into the previous bug). I'm going to try to get this approved as a 3rd-tier water cantrip and have it prevent the electrical area zaps. I haven't sent anything in at this point. The funny part is that there appears to be two scripts for this old spell, one for Rangers and one for Warrior Mages. They are also very similar from a technical standpoint, resulting in much head-scratching on my part. Hopefully when the water zap 'feature' is fixed, you'll have a way to protect yourself by using this cantrip.

- Since GM Dartenian is the new official magic guy, I've been running the status of our spells and spell review by him. I need to get the official go-ahead to make some on-they-fly tweaks to Chain Lightning in Prime to bring its power up a bit, and do some testing on the numbers that Fire Ball is producing to see if its concussive damage is where it should be. Fire Ball is technically past QC, and into the 'needs final balancing and tweaking by SGMs and the magic guru' stage.

- Completed Shockwave rewrite and placed it in QC.

- Still waiting for QC of the Paeldryth's Wrath update.

- Coded up about 70% of Aegis of Granite.

- Sent in a new spell proposal for perusal.

- The WM team has been discussing the intent of the Lightning Storm spell, and we've come up with a plan that should make it the premier offensive spell in the game -- if we can get it approved, that is. :)

- Still waiting on creative QC for a few AP quest scripts (the environmental messaging is the only part left in QC). I've also added a premium preview toggle for the new AP quests. While intended as a benefit, the primary objective of this addition is to prevent a flood of people from trying to get into the quest area (which only one person can enter at a time) as well as give ourselves plenty of time to correct bugs (of which there will possibly be many). Consider yourself warned. :)

- Added more custom colors to Pattern Hues.

- Released some new titles.

- Completed a few QCs unrelated to WM stuff.

- Worked on a project that's peripherally pertinent to Warrior Mages, though its impact should be gamewide.

- GM Wythor

Re: Status Update 07/09/2006 11:30 AM CDT
Just so you get a better picture of where we stand, I've been playing around with the spells seeing if I can break them and check to ensure that they look okay.

I've also done a bit on the AP quests, almost all of the QC's that I have for that are done, I've got one QC left, although not the biggest of them it's still a fairly big one.

I had begun a rewrite of the TM ranges, so I could make sure that they were debugged for you all (the old code is getting a bit ripe around the edges), but that's on hold for a bit.

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" - Mae West
Paeldryth's Wrath Update 07/31/2006 10:29 PM CDT
In minute I'll be rolling in the new version of Paeldryth's Wrath to Prime for you to play with and (hopefully) enjoy.

The major difference is that the damage is now completely based on a TM attack, rather than being an SvA/TM hybrid calculation (which will become broken when the magic updates are done).

The original function of the spell, pushing enemies back and knocking them down, has not been changed.

If all goes well, I'll be releasing the update to Platinum and The Fallen in a few days.

- GM Wythor

Status Update 09/22/2006 06:47 AM CDT
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd post an update on where we are now seeing as the release of P5 has removed a lot of development barriers and things are moving forward quickly.

First of all, the top three things you'll see in the near future.

1) AP Quests.

If all goes as planned, we'll be releasing the quest for AP #5 next week in Platinum for preview and general debugging fun. About a week after that you can expect to see the quest for AP #6 in Platinum as well. Depending on how the release goes, we'll push both quests into Prime and TF simultaneously a week or two afterwards. The quests for APs #7 and #8 are in the final stages of development, so they should be coming along within a month and a half at the very latest. That's a good two to three months of fun right there.

2) New Spells.

The Mark of Arhat spell is now being QCd. In addition, and as a nice surprise (even to me), the Shockwave spell is nearing a completed QC. I'll be focusing on getting these two spells through QC as fast as possible, so look for them within the next month. I've also decided to run a trial of the Fire Ball concussive blast updates in Prime for feedback and testing, so be prepared this weekend for that.

I haven't heard any feedback yet on my two spell proposals, Asphyxiate and Lightning Storm. The proposal for the new TM water spell is being revised, but there may also be another TM water spell proposal coming along in the near future. We're placing these at 2nd and 3rd tier, so the Water book will be well-tended. I'm also sitting on a proposal for a new Aether TM spell (3rd tier), as well as two or three Air TM spells. As I mentioned recently, both Aegis of Granite and Anther's Call are more than 50% done, but each is waiting on some fairly complex core code that may take some time to finalize. Thus the focus on other "new" spells.

3) Familiar Stuff.

The updates to the dark talisman and fir talisman quests are being QCd. These are pretty minor updates from a technical perspective, so I don't expect them to take very long. They are, however, major from a player perspective, so I intend to release them as soon as possible.

Okay, now the long term projects.

1) Sentinels.

I'm pushing our team to get the things directly under our control finished within a few weeks. There's still a lot being worked on by other individuals not part of the WM team, but we'll have our portion done and ready to go.

2) Familiars.

GM Chakram is discussing the possibility of returning direct development of our familiars to the team. Since GM Reisten is more eager to work on enchanting, I've decided to dip my toes in the familiar system to see what's been updated and what still needs work. We've got a wish list a mile long for familiar development, and it's time we saw some of that in the game.

3) Enchanting.

As I mentioned above, GM Reisten is eager to begin work on enchanting. The problem right now is that we don't know what's happening or being decided about what the enchanting systems are going to entail. I hope to find out soon so we can start moving in the right direction. You guys have waited long enough for this; it's time to make some real progress.

4) Spell Review.

Yes, the spell review is still on. Upgrading Chain Lightning is the biggest concern at the moment. GM Dartenian found some rather interesting issues that are causing it to miss far more often than it should. Hopefully we can get this fixed quickly and bring the spell back up to the level we've come to love. Other spells will follow as the magic system fixes are made.

Quite a lot of fixes were stress-tested with excellent results during the P5 release, but some other problems have reared their ugly heads (Fire Rain, for example). These are design flaws in spells that become apparent when technical limitations are approached. Fixing them won't reduce spell effectiveness, but they should keep the game from crashing in the future. They're going high on my list of spells to update, but fortunately the fixes won't be too difficult.

As a small side note, I feel I should mention that I also made quite a few behind-the-scenes adjustments to existing spells for the release of P5. These weren't changes that affected players directly, but enabled critters to use spells more effectively (or in some cases, to use them at all). I've also got plans to improve how damaging spells work against critters of strange types, since I'm sick of watching arms and legs get blown off viney critters. :)

5) Something Else?

One of our top priorities for the coming year will be creating more WM-friendly hunting options here and there. While just a few are in the planning stages, it's safe to say that these creatures will be unlike anything you've encountered before. Blackfire development, elemental planar travel, and WM history will also be on our list of long-term projects.

That's all for now. Hope you're enjoying the P5 guild!

- GM Wythor

Talisman Quest Updates 09/24/2006 10:39 PM CDT
Yes, it's finally here!

I've just made some changes to the talisman quests in Prime, removing the monetary requirement from the dark and fir talisman quests. The quests function exactly the same as before, with these minor changes:

1) Dark talismans no longer require an offering of 5 plat. However, they do require an offering of some type for the final step. The quest riddle has been changed to reflect this. The other parts of the quest have not changed.

2) Fir talismans no longer require payment of 10 plat to obtain. They are given for free. However, there is now a reasonable limit on the number of bark pieces you can obtain within a certain timeframe, to prevent folks from stocking up (as this may cause a resource issue). The rest of the quest remains the same. If you obtained any pieces of bark and have them lying around, they will not work with the updated quest -- you'll have to get new pieces of bark.

If there are no issues with the release, I'll be updating the talisman quests in Platinum and The Fallen within a few days.

- GM Wythor

Talisman Quest Updates 09/28/2006 10:00 PM CDT
The talisman quest updates are now live in Platinum and The Fallen.

Dark talismans require a different (non-money) sort of offering to complete the puzzle. Fir talismans do not require payment to obtain, but there is a limit to the number of pieces of bark you can get within a certain time period.

- GM Wythor

MoA Update 01/05/2007 02:36 AM CST
Heyos,

for the past four days I've been putting in a few hours each night doing some updates to the spell, including a damage uptweak. Superficially it still works and looks like the MoA you're playing with now, but it's been enhanced in numerous ways and some bugs were fixed. However, because the updates are so extensive I'll have to put the new version through QC. Here are some of the updates to the spell you can look forward to:

- Damage increased significantly.

- Bug fixed that enabled you to harness less mana than the spell should require to function.

- The spell's power formula was corrected to provide the proper power scaling.

- Reduced the minimum prep from 10 to 5, and reduced the required mana per pulse from 10 to 5 as well. The mana cap wasn't changed.

- Added a difficulty check to the pulse, so you won't be able to harness more mana for a pulse than you would normally be allowed to cast the spell with.

- Increased the time between pulses slightly.

- Changed the harnessed mana input to 100%, so you know exactly how much mana is being channeled into each pulse.

- Added feature to allow the caster to hold a mark even without mana. There is a skill check for this, however, but holding mana up to the minimum required for damage will reduce the difficulty. The difficulty increases over time. If the mark is maintained without enough mana to cause damage, the mark is considered 'dormant' and will smolder but cause no discomfort to the victim.

- Altered some messaging to make it more clear what's happening during certain parts of the spell.

- Added a RELEASE MARK function that will enable you to release one mark, all marks you are currently holding, or the mark that will pulse next.

The changes above aren't yet live, but will be once the QC process is complete. In the meantime, I've released the current version for preview in The Fallen. The spell will continue on preview in all instances until the new version is released, and the new version will be on preview for another week or so.

- GM Wythor

Title Update 02/08/2007 10:21 PM CST
At the request of the SGMs, the Arcane Sniper title has been replaced by the Arcane Bullseye title. The old requirements for Arcane Bullseye will now provide you with the brand-new Arcane Dead-Eye title.

- GM Wythor

Spell Updates 02/10/2007 01:57 AM CST
Updates to two Warrior Mage spells will be live in all instances shortly.

1. Fire Shard is being moved to the new TM model numbers. The first major change is that the mana cap has been increased significantly. This means it will take more mana to achieve the most powerful effects; this also means that it may take more mana than you are used to in order to create extra shards. The second change is that the difficulty has been reduced.

2. The Earth Sense spell's messaging will be updated. If you successfully spot a hidden or invisible target, you will be able to see whether it is hidden or invisible, instead of just seeing its name.

- GM Wythor

Spell Update, Part 2 02/13/2007 04:03 AM CST
The Ice Patch, Chain Lightning, and Lightning Bolt spells have had a few bugs and features fixed. Since some of the updates involve core magic additions, these updates are live only in Prime and Platinum for the time being. If nothing breaks they will be released in The Fallen in a few days.

Ice Patch:

- Several typos and messaging problems were fixed.
- Players who have their legs broken will now properly be knocked down.
- The ability to cast on a corpse, reducing its drag difficulty, has been fixed.

Lightning Bolt:

- The flash messaging to adjacent rooms has been fixed.
- You can now give corpses a 'shocking experience'.

Chain Lightning:

- The flash messaging to adjacent rooms has been fixed.
- The first bolt of the spell will now hit what you are targeting or casting at, regardless of Ethereal Shield status. Please note that if you are attempting to cast on a victim who is not engaged in combat with you, you will still need to CAST AREA, meaning you must first TARGET <victim> to have the first bolt hit your target; CAST <victim> will not work unless the target is in combat with you.
- An experimental fix has been put in place in this spell to remedy the 'harness issue'. The spell should now properly recognize when additional mana has been used in casting the spell, either from cambrinth or harnessing.

- GM Wythor

Fire Ball Updates 02/17/2007 03:59 AM CST
The concussive blast update to the Fire Ball spell which has been in Plat for the past couple of weeks is now live in Prime as well. If all goes well over the next few days it will be rolled into The Fallen as well.

A concussive blast is triggered by large, huge, or massive fire balls. Large and huge blasts will cover an area including melee range of the original target; massive blasts cover an area including pole and melee range of the original target.

Avoiding the blast is an SvA calculation, with damage based on the damage inflicted by the original spell. An Ethereal Shield will make the protected individual immune to the blast.

To even have a chance of being affected by the concussive blast (and thus subject to the SvA check), a victim must be within the proper range of the original target of the spell. This includes the caster. Victims in combat with the caster have a chance of being caught in the blast as well. Chances of being in the blast area are determined by the area covered by the explosion, the range from the target to the caster, and the range from the caster to the potential victim.

- GM Wythor

Weekly Update 02/20/2007 04:46 AM CST
While I'm calling this a weekly update, I'm not sure if I'll be posting updates on my progress every week. Think of this instead as an update on what I've been up to the past week, to keep you in the loop concerning important matters.

The biggie right now is that I've taken a deep dive into the familiar system that GM Rottcloar began updating. Despite starting with zero clue about what changes were made and what wasn't updated, I've learned quite a few things about the updates that make me very happy.

I'll be digging deeper into the familiar system and tweaking stuff as I learn more. The overall impression I get is that it possesses far more potential than what's in place now, and should be much more interesting to play with. Many of the features that you've been wishing for for a long time are already in there, but I also see some room to add my own ideas on expanding familiar functions.

Note that this deals only with familiars, and has nothing to do with the changes to familiar-type creatures and any combat potential they may have; that aspect of familiars is being handled by a separate team, since those updates involve more than just familiars.

Now for the other fixes and stuff:

- Fixed Guildleader messaging for Karazhil, Margathe and Melear.

- Fixed some typos in the Ball Lightning spell.

- Fixed several bugs in Fortress of Ice, which are currently being evaluated in QC. I'll post when these are live. The fixes include:

a) The 'watch' bug allowing you to continue watching the room outside the fortress even after the fortress was gone.

b) The issue with Moongates allowing travel back inside a fortress even after it melted and expelled the 'other side' of the gate.

c) The issue with perceived duration. It will use the correct duration, and message this using in-game time measurements.

d) The gweth/range issue.

- GM Wythor

Magnetic Ballista Updates 04/06/2007 03:42 AM CDT
Magnetic Ballista has undergone some updates per the spell review. These updates are live in Prime and Plat.

1. The duration of a ballista is now a direct function of the mana invested in the spell. Ballistae will now remain in existence even if there are no valid targets, and collapse after a time even if valid targets remain. Precipitation will reduce duration by certain amounts, and a ballista will no longer automatically crumble if it fires a shot after reaching a certain state. The Reinforce Stone cantrip has been altered to affect this duration. A ballista will still crumble if the caster leaves the area.

2. The two empty hands requirement for rubbing a ballista to reduce its magnetic pulse has been removed; only one empty hand is now required.

3. The caster of a ballista is now able to break it, causing it to crumble prematurely (and allowing him to set up a new, fresh ballista in its place).

4. Any Warrior Mage is now able to point any ballista at a valid target to 'manually select' the target which the ballista will fire at. Valid targets include other PCs, but pointing a ballista at a PC is considered an offensive action regardless of whether the ballista fires or is even loaded.

- GM Wythor

Core Stealth Updates: Earth Sense 05/05/2007 03:40 AM CDT
Heyos,

Sometime Saturday evening an extensive rewrite of the Earth Sense spell will be rolled live in Prime and Platinum. The primary purpose of this update is to convert the search function of the spell to use core stealth mechanics to provide a fair and equitable contest for everyone.

The spell's initial contest pitting the caster's PM and Perception skill against the hider's skill remains unchanged and will still be used to determine if a hidden presence is detected or not. However, this calculation will be run through core stealth instead of using a custom check built into the spell, and therefore will take many additional factors into account.

If this first contest results in a win by the caster, the caster will identify who or what the hidden presence is. A second contest, also performed by core stealth, will automatically occur if this happens which pits the Perception of the caster against the hider's skill to see if the caster can point at or act on the hider. Since this contest disregards PM skill, this will most likely be the most apparent downtweak to the spell.

The 'near-miss' in the contest has also been altered to fall in line with core stealth results and will be a slightly smaller range than the one in the custom check used by the spell previously. Presences detected in this range will not be identified by race or critter type as before; rather, they will be identified only as an 'unknown presence'. Considering warrior mages have multiple methods to act upon hiders even if they cannot point at or identify them, I don't consider this to be a huge issue.

The Perception bonus to the checks above has been changed as well, from a straight rank bonus to a percentage bonus. This bonus is still based on the spell's power, but unless the caster has high Perception skill the bonus will typically be smaller. However, core stealth calculations may offset this by providing additional bonuses and modifiers depending on the circumstances. The 'phantom bonus' which stuck around for a few seconds after the spell was cast will no longer exist.

The spell's ability to search adjacent rooms remains in the updated version. The required mana and skill to enable this feature hasn't changed. The penalty to skills for checks in adjacent rooms has been halved, however, meaning it will be much easier for the caster to find and identify hiders in nearby rooms.

Both hiders and invisible presences will still be affected by this spell. I only use the term 'hider' in this post because that's the most convenient way to phrase a concealed individual.

Existing restrictions on what cannot be detected by this spell still apply.

The spell's ability to find certain hidden portals remains unchanged, and the spell still tells the player what is visible in the rooms it scans. The spell's messaging remains unchanged except for the new addition below.

Earth Sense will also have a new feature -- a Multi Opponent bonus for the caster. This bonus is based on the spell's power, and decays over time. Moving to a new area will remove the bonus, while re-casting the spell replaces the bonus. The basis of this bonus is that the spell gives the caster a lingering connection with the earth in the local area that fades over time, enhancing his ability to determine his position relative to other opponents. The caster will be able to perceive to determine the strength of this connection.

Assuming the spell doesn't go kaput, I expect to roll it live in TF around the middle of next week.

Big kudos to GM Zeyurn for providing the core stealth hooks and QCing the updates in record time.

- GM Wythor

Spell Updates and Fixes 07/18/2007 03:31 AM CDT
The fixes and updates mentioned below are currently live in Prime and Platinum, with The Fallen to follow if things don't go wrong.

Sure Footing:

I finally squished the bug that was capping the stat bonus at its minimum possible amount. The spell should now correctly scale that bonus upward based on mana.

Fire Rain:

This spell has been brought in line with the current TM model numbers. The minimum mana has been dropped significantly, and while it is still high for a 4th tier TM spell, it is much more reasonable compared to where it used to be. The mana cap has also been brought down quite a bit as well. Conversely, the difficulty of the spell has been slightly increased and will scale up more sharply as more mana is invested in the spell.

Ball Lightning:

This spell has seen several modifications.

1. The minimum mana cost, while a bit more than what I'd consider reasonable, had crazy environmental modifiers that would really help the spell -- but only in very rare circumstances. I've reduced the base minimum prep and decreased the environmental modifiers. You'll still get the same lowest possible minimum prep if all modifiers are in play, but the mana required in most circumstances will be much more reasonable.

2. The mana cap of this spell was, to put it bluntly, insanely high (it took nearly double the mana of most existing TM spells to generate a comparable high-end effect). This has been cut nearly in half.

3. The difficulty of the spell has increased to put it nearer to the level a 4th tier TM spell should be. However, because the effects of this spell are limited and infrequent, the difficulty is somewhat less than other 4th tier TM spells. It should be noted that it will be extremely difficult to cast the spell if you learn it immediately after its prerequsite, Lightning Bolt. If you are having problems casting this spell, let me know.

4. The bug that was causing some re-casts of the spell to reduce the number of pulses has been fixed.

5. The number of times the spell will pulse has been updated to use the power of the spell instead of PM skill. In addition, the maximum number of possible pulses has been increased by about 50%.

6. I rearranged the pulse messaging a little, so the messages are now random rather than fixed. Additionally, the final pulse of the spell will perform an attack and then vanish rather than just poofing without effect.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Spell Update: Static Discharge 01/26/2008 04:01 AM CST
Greetings,

The Static Discharge spell has been updated to comply with the Lethal Damage Directive. The following updates are live in Prime only, until such time as the spell's stability is ensured.

The ability to inflict vitality damage and cause wounds has been removed.

In exchange, the stun duration has been increased by a modest amount.

The nerve damage aspect of this spell was not affected.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Spell Update: Fire Ball 01/26/2008 04:28 AM CST
Greetings,

The Fire Ball spell has been updated to comply with the Lethal Damage Directive. The following updates are live in Prime only, yadda yadda yadda. :)

Both the concussive blast and the secondary flame backwash against the original target of the spell have been moved to TM calculations.

The calculation to choose victims for the concussive blast has been rewritten. The ability to hit engaged individuals at range from the target or the caster with the concussive blast has been removed, but it is now much easier to strike those at melee or pole ranges. Note that even if an individual is determined to be a valid target, a TM contest must still take place, rather than the SvA contest previously.

The concussive blast can still be blocked by an Ethereal Shield. In addition, due to the update to TM mechs, you can also hide behind a shield to avoid it.

What does this change mean? In simple terms, it should now teach TM skill a bit better than previously, since you will be getting multiple strikes from each cast. You should also see an increase in the overall effectiveness of the concussive blast at lower levels. Try tossing up an ES and detonating a big one with a bunch of critters at melee. :)

There is one known issue with the messaging of this spell. The original target of the spell, if killed by the initial cast (not the flame backwash), will not be messaged until the rest of the spell has resolved (this includes the concussive blast). This will not be able to be remedied until all spells have been brought in line with the Lethal Damage Directive.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Spell Update 03/01/2008 12:51 AM CST
Heyos,

I know that a lot of you are getting antsy about the contested spell updates, and that you have questions about what will happen to the guild's spells.

I'll give it to you straight: there are a few proposals still in the works, so I can't give you information about all of the spells. I can tell you that I'm working on them. What follows is a list of spells, what we're doing to them (if applicable) and where they are in the development process.

Static Discharge & Fire Ball: the updates have already been released.

Ethereal Fissure: the damage for casting opposing-element fissures is going away, rendering the spell damage-free. This update is currently in QC.

Magnetic Ballista: the initial attack is being moved to TM, rather than SvA. The knockdown potential of this attack will still be SvA. The excellent messaging for the SvA attack will be ported to all TM attacks. This update is currently in QC.

Shockwave: the elemental damage will remain, but use TM mechanics similar to how Fire Ball's collateral damage is handled. This update is currently in QC.

Frostbite: the skin bleeders will be going away. This update is currently in development.

Incinerate: this spell will be converted to a full TM spell. Its effects will also be quite different from its current incarnation. If the spell misses, it will no longer affect the target at all (instead of inflicting bad wounds). If the spell hits it will destroy the body area struck, rather than completely destroying the body. This update is currently in development.

Ice Patch & Ring of Spears: proposals for each of these spells are currently being reviewed. I'll let you know when I know for sure how we'll proceed with them.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Warrior Mage Contested Spell Updates 04/11/2008 03:38 AM CDT
Greetings,

The Magnetic Ballista, Ethereal Fissure, and Shockwave spells have been updated to comply with the lethal damage directive. The following updates have been live in Platinum for a couple of weeks, and are now live in Prime as well. The Fallen will follow shortly assuming nothing goes hideously wrong.

Ethereal Fissure

When casting the spell with an element opposing a fissure currently in the room, the resulting explosion will no longer cause damage.

Shockwave

A default cast of the spell will no longer cause damage; the caster must have Veil of Ice and/or Mantle of Flame active to cause damage. The damage is now calculated with a single TM attack, and applied to the skin (much like the concussive blast of Fire Ball). The spell now also correctly calculates bonus power from a consumed Zephyr spell. No other aspect of the spell has been changed.

Magnetic Ballista

This spell has undergone some big changes. The spell's mana requirements, difficulty, and effectiveness scaling have all been altered to comply with its status as a 3rd tier TM spell. The initial SvA attack has been altered to TM, although it retains the knockdown effect (as a secondary SvA effect) and increased damage. The damage messaging for the initial strike now applies to all attacks. The magnetic pulse no longer affects shields created or affected by the Aegis of Granite spell. The ability to POINT the ballista at yourself (and kill you) has been fixed up to message correctly.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Incinerate Spell Update 06/18/2008 12:18 AM CDT
Greetings,

The Incinerate spell has been converted from lethal SvA to lethal TM. While it remains very similar to its original incarnation, there is one significant change. As it is a TM spell, it will no longer cause any damage if it misses the target. If it hits the target, the body part struck is incinerated, rather than the victim's entire body. This update is live in all instances.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Aethereal Pathway and Cantrip Updates 06/18/2008 03:52 AM CDT
Greetings,

The updates to Aethereal Pathways and WM cantrips that have been live in Platinum for a few weeks are now live in Prime and The Fallen as well.

What are these updates? Most of it is a technical update behind the scenes to expand the information available to GMs. The updates also make the two systems easier to work with and manipulate via enhanced GM tools. We have the ability to ban the cantrip and pathway usage of abusive players (though we hope never to use this particular feature) and the FAQ list for solving various WM-related issues has been brought up to date.

From a player perspective, there should be only a few apparent changes.

1. Manipulative Resolve cost for using aethereal pathway abilities has been tweaked, significantly. It was never intended that players be able to start and stop the pathways willy-nilly, but due to the speed of the MR drain that was the most efficient way to use them. To solve both problems, the initial cost of activating a pathway has been tripled while the cost to maintain them has been halved.

2. Aethereal pathways now contain brief descriptions of what they do when you list them out.

3. Cantrips are displayed differently when you list them with SPELLS. They are organized by element and tier.

4. Both aethereal pathways and cantrips will offer helpful syntax when you learn them.

5. Guildleaders will now tell you when you qualify for the Barrage quest. You will still have to ask about BARRAGE specifically to learn more, but there is at least some prompt so that new players will know it exists.

6. Assorted bugs and typos were fixed, including the strange duration of Crystallize Ice and the issue with Focus Ease reducing the difficulty of non-TM spells. In addition, the Focus Damage quest was tweaked to make the skins required by the Guildleader a bit more reasonable to obtain at circle 4.

7. Last, but certainly not least, two new aethereal pathways are live. The first, Perceive Pathway, is a token pathway offered to anyone at or above the required circle. It is an introductory pathway that will play a key role in future pathways. The second new pathway, Focus Conserve, reduces the minimum prep of TM spells by a small amount (though never below 1). Note that the spell will be considered at minimum power until its mana level reaches its normal minimum prep, and from that point on increase in power appropriately. This pathway requires the completion of a short quest.

Please direct comments, criticism, etc. to the Warrior Mage folders.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Ethereal Fissure Update 04/19/2009 11:47 PM CDT
Heyos,

I've added two words to Ethereal Fissure's cast options: 'flame' and 'stone'. They are simply alternatives to 'fire' and 'earth', in case there are any conflicts with the parser that prevent you from casting the spell normally.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Ethereal Shield Updates 06/27/2009 11:39 PM CDT
Greetings,

In a few moments I'll be pushing a new version of Ethereal Shield into Prime.

The spell you know and love hasn't changed at its heart; it still provides the same benefits and the same duration that it always has. What has changed slightly is the messaging, especially involving groups.

To fix the group cast messaging, the spell needed some back-end work. While in there I tweaked the code to make it easier on the eyes and system resources. The following enhancements were made, in no particular order:

- Fixed that buggy messaging for group casts.

- Enhanced the Pattern Hues-related messaging. Casting ES directly on another will not overwrite that individual's Pattern Hues color. Group casts and self-casts will overwrite the color, so team events are now more viable than before.

- Separated the group cast messaging into individual lines to improve readability, but added a cutoff for general room messaging to prevent scroll. Casters will see everyone they shield, and the recipients will see their ES form, but everyone else gets a generic message past a certain number of shields.

- The cross-mana compatibility rating is now correctly set in the spell. This shouldn't impact anything, since the change was already enforced by core magic. If you do notice anything has changed in casting with non-elemental mana though, it is intentional.

- Tweaked some critter group cast mechs. If you see critters casting on each other, this is intentional.

Obviously, if there are any obvious problems please post in the responses folder, as I'll be monitoring for a few hours.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Warrior Mage Spell Updates 04/11/2010 12:14 AM CDT
Greetings,

I've just introduced some changes to a few Warrior Mage spells.

First off, I've fixed a minor messaging bug in Anther's Call when cast on hidden targets.

Second, Mark of Arhat now allows the caster one damage-dealing pulse if the target isn't in the same room; the mark then goes dormant as normal. This extra damage pulse occurs once per cast of the spell, to keep things balanced.

Third, the complete rewrite of Ring of Spears is now live. I realize not many of you may have this spell, and I am trying to get it on general preview so all warrior mages can take a look. Regardless, this spell is a dramatic improvement over its original incarnation.

Rather than functioning like a weak Shockwave, RoS puts an actual barrier at melee range between you and advancing foes. The default cast causes stone spears to spring from the ground around the caster at melee range. Every time foes try to get through the spears they'll have to a) win a spell contest to make it through, and b) dodge a TM attack to avoid damage. Enemies standing on the spears must make checks to avoid being pushed back and damaged, as will foes that linger among the spears for too long (the spears themselves shift and flex, making it difficult to stay in one place).

Ring of Spears also has a few other tricks up its sleeve. It can be cast on others (yes, it's true--it works!) to protect them (the only option here is melee range). If self-cast, the caster can use a "pole" option (CAST POLE) to cause the spears to spring out at pole range. Enemies at melee range will not be affected, but those advancing from missile to pole must get through the spears. The pole range spears have an additional feature: enemies attempting to retreat must contest the spell to get away. A second retreat is an automatic success (both contests), but there is a Roundtime for failing to retreat through the spears so the target can't spam the command to escape.

This spell requires a lot of hooks into the combat code, and there are a few engagement-skipping abilities that can get through. I'm trying to fix as many of them as possible, so if you encounter any issues with a non-flying target making it through the spears without any checks feel free to submit a bug report.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Prev_page Previous 1