Fir Familiar requirements 12/18/2016 09:54 PM CST

Now that mech lore will be going away, what will be the requirement for our fir familiar? I am working hard to get to 50, but I don't think that will happen before the changes. I have not picked up any crafting skills yet.

~player of Suruli
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/18/2016 10:43 PM CST
>Now that mech lore will be going away, what will be the requirement for our fir familiar? I am working hard to get to 50, but I don't think that will happen before the changes. I have not picked up any crafting skills yet.

Engineering ranks should take the place of mech for familiar carving. As far as I know this is already the case if your engineering ranks exceed your mech lore ranks.

quote below from: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Enchanting%20Skill/view/2074

''The current plan is to modify all systems currently using and/or teaching mech lore and replace them with the most-applicable skill. It will then be up to the players if they wish to dump Mech lore into that new skill, or to train it up and continue using it for circling.''

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/18/2016 11:12 PM CST
>>Consistency in a game environment is important. The plan was always to eliminate mech lore and move Guild-mechanics to Guild-skills, and other mechanics to crafting skills. - Kodius

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/18/2016 11:17 PM CST
I strongly advise you start doing crafting work orders, though don't pick any careers or tech yet.

After the initial investment (which if someone won't buy/give you tools a few Tasks will pay for), crafting work orders pay out more than you will be able to earn through combat for a hundred ranks.

Except alchemy. Blah alchemy.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/19/2016 01:58 PM CST
engineering is pretty easy to do if you have the woodworking and engineering tools, you can carve canes infront of the war mage guild like the old days, all you need is to forage from wood. collect limb works well.

and you can probably lock sub 50 just prepping foraged wood.

-Munch-
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/19/2016 10:06 PM CST
Thanks everyone!
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 01:25 PM CST
Kodius just mentioned in the unpleasant Mech Lore thread that talisman carving may (will?) move under Summoning! That's pretty good news.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 02:48 PM CST
That makes sense to me from a quest requirement standpoint, awesome.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 03:12 PM CST
Probably doesn't qualify as entirely good news. It feels like we're taking steps back if guild skills start doing things that existing crafting skills should be doing.

Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 03:42 PM CST
Sorry, false. The carving part is just simple wood carving, anyone can do it. Talismans, mundane wise, are nothing compared to a short bow. The big focus of a talisman is the connection to the Aethereal Plane, and how we're binding an entity to summon forth with our own mental prowess at will.

This should be summoning.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 03:49 PM CST
>Probably doesn't qualify as entirely good news. It feels like we're taking steps back if guild skills start doing things that existing crafting skills should be doing.

I felt this way at first, but on more reflection familiar talismans are unique objects in the game.

With the exception of the dark talisman, you don't make the talisman itself. Carving the talisman effectively consumes it, removing it from the economy and locking it to one character. There is no skill output: all familiar talismans are a random animal and animal appearances are intrinsic to the character. The skill to carve is itself a simple binary gate with no failure chance.

In the fiction, the carving is a subconscious ritual using the mage's extraplanar link. You don't even know what animal you're carving until halfway through the process.

It makes sense to govern creating simple and large [wood] talismans with engineering if players are going to be able to make them (even if they're useless to non-warrior mages, it'd be a nice thematic touch), and actually using the crafted item being a summoning check. The dark and fir quests would need to be completely re-written to allow them to even be craftable ... those quests are incredibly weird, totally incomprehensible, and due for a re-write anyway.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 04:06 PM CST
>Sorry, false. The carving part is just simple wood carving, anyone can do it.

Simple wood carving is shaping. 50 ranks in engineering takes very little time at all to gain. Anyone can do it. A talisman is at least as involved as carving a bead. The reason you want this to be governed by crafting rather than summoning is possible future development. It's easier and more cost effective to add expansions to a holistic crafting system that everyone can use with hooks built in for a guild skill rather than a unique single guild only widget governed by a single guild skill.

>It makes sense to govern creating simple and large [wood] talismans with engineering if players are going to be able to make them (even if they're useless to non-warrior mages, it'd be a nice thematic touch), and actually using the crafted item being a summoning check. The dark and fir quests would need to be completely re-written to allow them to even be craftable ... those quests are incredibly weird, totally incomprehensible, and due for a re-write anyway.

I agree with this and the building blocks for crafted shaped images are already there. You could add them to forging/outfitting/stonecarving for forged/sewn and stuffed/carved stone talismans as well.

Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 04:48 PM CST
People shouldn't be required to learn a skill to participate in a proprietary guild system that isn't already a hard requirement. GMs have already stated it's moving to the guild skill (same with beads I believe). This is the right move.

No other guild has a need to craft a talisman. This also limits vertical development. Armifer has stated he intends to open up dragon familiars to the guild. Do you think you're just going to need 50 ranks of Engineering for those?

IF if were going to be put into a crafting system, makes more sense to throw it into binding. This is complicating things more than it needs to be. Stick with summoning, leave it alone.

Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 05:08 PM CST
I don't understand the desire to hold onto antiquated and limited systems but I'm conceding.

Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 05:42 PM CST
Talisman carving isn't talisman creation (except, like I said, Dark talismans which are the only "craftable" talismans in-game today). It's closer to the paladin Holy Sword ritual than anything else in that it takes an existing item and does horrible legacy system magic to it. It makes sense to govern the 'can you do the knife ritual' check with thana-I mean summoning.

In a future where we can actually craft blank talismans for the carving ritual, that part would make sense to be engineering. It would be a limited market item, but allow for some customization like having "an oak lynx talisman" or with Artistry "An oak lynx talisman but a good looking one," or whatever if you didn't want to just buy your blank talismans from the artificer (or that weird magic hobo is doling out fir talismans. What is UP with that guy?) But for the ritual carving itself, there's no hooks in the crafting system for familiars to take advantage of unless we're going to gain control over which animal we get.

If we did get the option of using a design codex to pick our familiar, I'm also okay with that option being engineering-gated (and retconning the fiction a bit). Leave the random selection a summoning-only check. You use your planar intution to feel out the familiar's preferred shape from the wood. If you want to tell your familiar 'no, be a shark' well then you can go learn to carve a decent shark. Even better if just a few of us can do that and sell shark talismans to Whiteburn's future Warrior Mage Inquest Cadets. I don't even like shark week.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/20/2016 06:06 PM CST
>>The reason you want this to be governed by crafting rather than summoning is possible future development. It's easier and more cost effective to add expansions to a holistic crafting system that everyone can use with hooks built in for a guild skill rather than a unique single guild only widget governed by a single guild skill.

IMO it would be neat if there was a default widget that could be purchased in game that Warrior Mages could use summoning skill to turn into a talisman, because this could also open the door for allowing items within the crafting system to also be convertible into talismans, which Warrior Mages wouldn't have to explicitly create themselves.

In other words, you can use your summoning skill to create a a familiar's talisman/anchor/whatever with a widget purchased at the Warrior Mage Guild, or hire someone to carve a wood talisman (or do it yourself), or hire someone to carve a bone talisman (or do it yourself), or hire someone to forge a metal talisman (or do it yourself).

No reason why the making of the item that is used for the summoning process has to be explicitly connected with the system that makes it into a familiar.

It's similar to how you don't need to make every tool you use when forging yourself, or how the weapons you enchant with the enchanting system don't have to be personally forged, etc. The "and now make it into a familiar" can still be totally summoning driven, which does seem a lot more reasonable than how it's driven by mech or engineering these days.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 09:44 AM CST
>>IMO it would be neat if there was a default widget that could be purchased in game that Warrior Mages

It's an interesting idea but I don't think everything needs to be farmed out to others. The dark and fir familiars aren't and shouldn't be talismans that can be purchased in a store. It's a quest that the mage undertakes to acquire the wood from a specific tree, shape it and make it theirs. It adds a personal connection that wouldn't be there if you just threw money at it.

As someone said, 50 ranks of engineering isn't that hard, especially for a lore secondary guild with pretty lax lore requirements to begin with. I picked up 200 ranks of forging so I could take advantage of everything the elemental weapon system had to offer, I don't think 50 or even 100 ranks of engineering is too much for familiars.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 10:09 AM CST
>>It's an interesting idea but I don't think everything needs to be farmed out to others. The dark and fir familiars aren't and shouldn't be talismans that can be purchased in a store. It's a quest that the mage undertakes to acquire the wood from a specific tree, shape it and make it theirs. It adds a personal connection that wouldn't be there if you just threw money at it.

If it helps any I am 100% for putting the mcguffin into a hole still and having people create their own talismans still.

Plus, the "getting talismans you didn't create yourself" horse was already let out of the barn at events where familiars were raffled/auctioned/quest prizes/etc. So it's not like this isn't already being done.

>>As someone said, 50 ranks of engineering isn't that hard, especially for a lore secondary guild with pretty lax lore requirements to begin with.

At the same time, if it's a negligible amount why even bother. It just seems kinda cool to have more customized/unique talismans by integrating it into the crafting system, and I get the idea of having the part that makes a talisman a talisman managed by summoning vs engineering.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 10:58 AM CST

Similar to what is being requested for clerical prayer beads, I believe it makes sense that WM talismans simply require summoning to carve. They are wholly summoning devices and being forced into woodworking to do your guild skill is silly anyway.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 11:57 AM CST
There's could be ways to integrate it still. Embellishments through artistry or leather straps that make them wearable with leatherworking.

The 50 ranks of engineering is a negligible amount, its true. But it could act as nice progression for larger talismans. 30 ranks for Large, 50 ranks for Dark and 100 ranks for Fir isn't unreasonable. Plus that would scale nicely out to 200 for dragon talismans.

If you want to be able to buy widgets for the creation of a talisman, I think a large scale collection quest would be pretty cool. What I would really like to see for dragon talismans (if that really becomes a questable thing) is a huge quest that could take weeks to accomplish and possibly even a small group or community involvement. Something that requires gathering many different types of parts from different facets of the game. Very rare or greater wood from lumberjacking, special tools from blacksmithing, something akin to a belradi potion from alchemy. At the center of it you can add a core that maybe you can only get from completion of a paid quest or from guild fest (so that if you don't want to spend the money for a quest there's still a venue through which you can acquire the component in a less expedited fashion). And then after all your components are collected, maybe you still have to kill x amount of creatures with an elemental weapon or magic to attune everything to a specific plane before you can carve the talisman.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 12:07 PM CST
Nobody makes their own Fir talisman. You fetch what Might be the raw materials then you literally hand them off to a man behind the curtain and immedialy get back a completed talisman ready to carve.

That's always bothered me.

It's probably the weirdest quest in DR. I do not look forward to redoing it if aether/wolf for familiars ever come out.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 04:15 PM CST
meh, its like whatevers because when you finish making your talis...do you ever use the system again? i havent thought about making a fam in a goodly long while.

-Munch-
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/21/2016 11:38 PM CST
>meh, its like whatevers because when you finish making your talis...do you ever use the system again? i havent thought about making a fam in a goodly long while.

Another great reason for massively increasing the ranks required for greater talismans and hopefully expanding the role that talismans/familiars play once pets are rewritten. Crafted talismans would open up any talisman to the codex system (choose your animal familiar from the codex) and would allow unlocks for festival/quest/rank talisman templates. Don't have the skill? or care to train engineering? for a dragon (for example) talisman? - find someone who can carve one for you - Summoning and Craft enchanting via Binding give you access.

A dragon (again for example) could be added to a codex to craft in ANY craft for artisan details to craftee items but only available for WM's for familiars under enchanting.

Instead of asking for a crafter for a mistwood stick bow, you're looking for a mistwood dragon talisman enchahnting base item (or carve it yourself if you know the template). You as the WM take it from there and enchant it under the enchanting skill/summoning.

Of course lore retcon is required but WM familiars are well overdue for this anyway. (and a pet system rewrite)

Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/22/2016 05:54 AM CST
I know some people enjoy crafting, but I find it boring. I would prefer it if our guild abilities were gated behind Summoning rather than Engineering.

Mazrian
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/22/2016 06:24 AM CST
>>I would prefer it if our guild abilities were gated behind Summoning rather than Engineering.

I agree with this. I have to be honest, I didn't even read the majority of this thread because it just seems to glaringly point at the obvious: The Familiar system is Old and probably needs a lot of work.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/22/2016 09:11 AM CST
>> I know some people enjoy crafting, but I find it boring. I would prefer it if our guild abilities were gated behind Summoning rather than Engineering.

Agreed - im not sure how its even a debate. A familiar is something you summon.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/22/2016 01:07 PM CST
>I didn't even read the majority of this thread

You probably read more than the other posters herein.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/23/2016 02:45 PM CST
>Another great reason for massively increasing the ranks required for greater talismans

greater talismans maybe. summoning makes sense as the skill, but we do have lore secondary,to necessitate crafting for a fighty type guild is odd to say the least,

on the other hand it rounds out the "wizard" archetype, but then again "wizards" do all sorts of magic, not just elemental stuff.

familiars are a system i don't use overly much, even tho they give some sort of bonuses (that i don't require or use to train).

basically I send it out to look for someone and that is it.

you want to drop the animal bit and start having us summon elemental constructs of various natures (like weapons, armors, shields, different types of weapons, mixed elemental weapons, mixed elemental armors, different siege equipment like a fire ballista, more weapons, armors, weapons, elemental golems with elemental weapons and armor, elemental transportation, more damage spells) im all for it.

-Munch-
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/23/2016 02:47 PM CST
I would indeed love to summon an ice monster to fight some misguided necros monster, while I deal with the necro. thats the sort of summoning of familiars I can get behind

-Munch-
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/23/2016 05:30 PM CST
>>greater talismans maybe. summoning makes sense as the skill, but we do have lore secondary,to necessitate crafting for a fighty type guild is odd to say the least,

Thats true, but we've already got some abilities that lean towards forging and I'm fairly certain that a hefty amount of people put their lore into that due to those abilities. I think its best to leave Summoning extraplanar beings to using the summoning skill and not on your ability to carve a piece of yew or whatever.
Re: Fir Familiar requirements 12/23/2016 07:32 PM CST
agreed. only to say that any pet or abilities in the future hinge on summoning rather than crafting.

-Munch-