Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/21/2016 11:36 PM CDT

This has been a thing requested since 1996 or slightly before. Along with wearable talismans, battle familiars and the enchanting system.

So yea, better be seeing it in game as part of a long quest or something and using all those ranks of summoning and arcana.

Sorry, but something only for one person who can afford to throw much much money at the game. Yeah that don't even begin to sit well.
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 12:47 AM CDT
>This has been a thing requested since 1996 or slightly before

Another NostalgiaRealms suggestion? I eagerly await the coming thread on Bloodlust.

This is why we can't have nice things.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 12:50 AM CDT
That doesn't make any sense. His point was there should not be a 300k bloodscrip dragon talisman, it should be an in game quest or similar (because it's been asked for since 1996)

but there is, and that's sad.
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 08:25 AM CDT

> This is why we can't have nice things.

We can apparently have nice things. They just go to a single person, and you have to spend the equivalent of a used car to buy them.

> it should be an in game quest or similar (because it's been asked for since 1996)

Absolutely this. In my opinion, this should have been a reward that anyone could earn, even if they had to earn it on the character itself. Think hallow's eve gifts. Everyone gets one.
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 10:02 AM CDT
Everyone needs to settle down. Lots of times this goes out in one release like this, and like six months later 100 people have little dragon talismans because there is a slightly different version available or whatever.

End of the day who cares about a stupid talisman anyway, its not like this person is being given a win button. To be honest the amount spent to secure said dragon talisman seems more like a fail button to me.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 11:29 AM CDT
> End of the day who cares about a stupid talisman anyway, its not like this person is being given a win button.

I do. This game is as much about fluff as it is about PvP, and I want a dragon for a reasonable price.

> Lots of times this goes out in one release like this, and like six months later 100 people have little dragon talismans because there is a slightly different version available or whatever.

You don't know that, but I hope you're right. So in the spirit of collaboration, here's an idea for future dragons.

- A small blue and white dragon with interlocking hexagonal scales covered in icy fractals. [Water]
---look: An evaporating fog drifts off the dragon scales as it rests calmly on the ground.
---Touch dragon (peons): The dragon seems unconcerned with your hand, but the freezing scales leave their mark (Short stun, hand injury)
---Touch dragon (summoner): Standing close to your dragon you gesture. The icy fog around the dragon briefly coalesces into a fearsome beast before shattering into a thousand pieces (fear effect on what's at melee to you - moderate CD)

- A medium brown dragon with bits of rock protruding from it's scaly hide. [Earth]
---Look: The dragon lumbers slowly around the room looking more like a rockslide than a creature.
---Touch dragon (peons): The dragon seems unconcerned with your hand, but the freezing scales leave their mark (Short stun, hand injury)
---Touch dragon (summoner): Standing close to your dragon you. With powerful legs, your dragon leaps into the air and lands with a thud, shaking the ground. (instant cast tremor as if it was a full prep - long CD).

- A tiny black dragon. [Aether]
---look: It's hard to get a good luck as the dragon itself seems to absorb the nearby light. Just when you think you can make out the features, it dissipates in a shimmering cloud before reforming in another part of the room.
---Touch dragon (peons): The dragon hisses wildly as it nips at your hand. (Short stun, hand injury).
---Touch dragon (summoner): The dragon shimmers briefly and appears on your shoulder where it curls up into a soft slumber. (Surge of attunement, long CD). [It disappears from the room and is a worn item until the CD is off when it'll pop back down to the ground]

- A medium dark-red dragon with glowing scales. [Fire]
---look: Upon closer inspection, you notice the scales are flowing across it's body like interlocking chunks of magma.
---touch dragon (peons): The dragon almost looks like it smiling as you discover that fire is hot. (Short stun, hand injury)
---Touch dragon (Summoner): You lean closer to your dragon, warming your hands above it's smoldering scales. (Light effect, always on, no cd)

- A small white dragon covered in feather-shaped scales. [Air]
---look: The dragon darts rapidly around the room.
---touch dragon (peons): You try to catch the dragon as it darts by only to snag your hands upon it's scaly hide. (hand injury, small stun)
---Touch dragon (Summoner): With your signal, the small dragon spins around you until it has created a vortex that lifts you high into the air. [sometime later, assuming you're still in the sky] The vortex slowly abates as gracefully land with a soft thump. (can't move while lifted up, considered "flying" with regards to combat, moderate CD)

- A small yellow dragon with sparks rolling across the scales. [Electricity]
---look: The dragon's scales act as electrical conduits, rolling sparks from head to tail.
---touch dragon (peons): You reach out to the dragon only to find a painful shock waiting in return. (Short stun, hand injury)
---Touch dragon (Summoner): In a flash, the yellow dragon darts to yours side and erupts into a flashy show of sparks and bolts. [If you don't have ES up, you're stunned even further, bad mage]

- A medium silver dragon with metallic scales. [Steel]
---look: The dragon's scales interlock as if hand-crafted by a master smith, reaching a sharp point.
---touch dragon (peons): The dragon non-nonchalantly flicks its tail in your direction leaving a deep cut in your outstretched hand. (Short stun, hand injury)
---Touch dragon (Summoner): You nod to your dragon as it stands between you and your foe. Minor damage barrier. [+defense modifier while the dragon is at your side, long CD]

Duskruin can be unique as... a small red and gold dragon with vibrant scales. Let it still act as if it was the element you're aligned to. Maybe make it super special by allowing you to shift the element without changing your alignment. The hand injuries are all light wounds, free bleeders.

If the touch is too much then make it simple. Such as replicating an elemental flare when you cast a TM spell. It could spit a ball at your enemy/enemies at half/power of the TM spell it self, or "aid" your TM spell by randomly adding a point or two of damage. Maybe aether damage or elemental damage of the alignment (physical for steel - special summon or talisman or shaping). AOE (non cyclic) = AOE strikes, power capped at something reasonable. Internal CD. Maybe modified (capped?) by summoning skill.
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 11:29 AM CDT

We as MUD players have a tendency to consume vast amounts of words and not really aborb it.

Like the operator in the Matrix, we don't even see the Matrix anymore we just see blonde, brunette and red head.

Lost in the tank treads of an argument there was a post earlier in another thread that really gets to the crux of the matter.

<I think the depressing thing for me is that while these items are amazing, I remember a time when really neat items were given as rewards for accomplishments (like reaching 100) and for RP. Now it is all money upon money and RP is a background that leads to nowhere other than RPAs which lead to skills.
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/22/2016 03:39 PM CDT
While your various ideas for dragons are awesome, I don't think (in terms of game balance) a dragon familiar being more than a familiar that looks like a dragon is acceptable.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/25/2016 10:54 AM CDT

> a dragon familiar being more than a familiar that looks like a dragon is acceptable.

I've been thinking about this, and I had another idea. Fir familiars already make spells easier to cast, so what if the dragon just extended that functionality by offsetting elemental efficacy and periodically charging you up with an element? Each dragon would give the caster a +1 in the efficacy for that dragon. You could also touch the dragon to be charged (Internal CD). The one from duskruin can always grant a charge. Every other dragon could grant a charge in the element you're aligned to, or do nothing/impede if the element is contrary. The strength of the charge, or the CD are effected by your summoning skill.

That's not OP. It's useful functionality, and I would hope it would be easy to code.
Re: Dragon Familiar, best not be just for the one. 09/28/2016 07:12 AM CDT
oh man bloodlust sounded like such a cool idea.

-Munch-