Random Fam Lore Question 10/30/2015 09:47 PM CDT
Ignoring game mechanics for a moment and considering this hypothetical scenario: Would a Warrior Mage be able to summon a familiar from a talisman that was created by someone else and would the familiar have its original personality, or is the familiar's life basically turned off permanently?

I know this has no real value to gameplay but I got curious.
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 12:49 AM CDT

> Ignoring game mechanics for a moment and considering this hypothetical scenario: Would a Warrior Mage be able to summon a familiar from a talisman that was created by someone else and would the familiar have its original personality, or is the familiar's life basically turned off permanently?

I thought a familiar could only bond with one mage, which is what they do when they start to carve it out.
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 05:30 AM CDT
>would the familiar have its original personality, or is the familiar's life basically turned off permanently?

I thought that familiars were actually just empty shells, which you fill with an elemental spirit from the appropriate plane. And that the talisman controls the form of the shell, but nothing else. My assumption is that you just pull in a different spirit every time, which is why they sometimes behave differently.
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 06:30 AM CDT
>>I thought that familiars were actually just empty shells, which you fill with an elemental spirit from the appropriate plane. And that the talisman controls the form of the shell, but nothing else. My assumption is that you just pull in a different spirit every time, which is why they sometimes behave differently.

I think it was stated that over time the essence/spirit/whatever that you harness through the talisman develops a personality over time. Not sure if that's been changed or not.

It's possible VOLCANUS is right though and that would answer my curiosity.
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 06:40 AM CDT
>https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Familiar

>Aether spirits in the form of familiars are sentient creatures, though the power and personality of the mage may override it; the true relationship between the summoner and the summoned is not entirely clear.

The wiki seems to point to all of us being right/wrong. The 'may over ride' it is huge weasel words for 'but this isn't really accurate so I can still do whatever I want'.

I'd love to see some hard lore on it.
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 09:58 AM CDT
>>The 'may over ride' it is huge weasel words for 'but this isn't really accurate so I can still do whatever I want'.

I read that more as "the spirit has a personality but the WM might compel it to act otherwise," not that it's a different spirit each time.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 01:27 PM CDT
The current ruling is: it develops a personality with time but the WM can override it (make it say whatever the summoner wants to say, for example). If you're a Star Trek fan, think The Doctor. An artificial tool-like sentience left on-line for too long accruing a personality.

All of this is subject to change and is meant to be a loose as possible to let WMs roleplay different relationships with their spirits as they wish, within reason. Unlike shadowlings or zombies or guardians spirits, the fam is supposed to be a big RP feature and I don't want to set too many boundaries on how it can be portrayed.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Random Fam Lore Question 10/31/2015 01:54 PM CDT
>All of this is subject to change and is meant to be a loose as possible to let WMs roleplay different relationships with their spirits as they wish, within reason. Unlike shadowlings or zombies or guardians spirits, the fam is supposed to be a big RP feature and I don't want to set too many boundaries on how it can be portrayed.

That's really all I meant by weasel words. I realized that has a negative connotation, but just 'room to interpret' is what I meant.