Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 01:30 PM CST

I recall a long time ago a discussion on our familiars learning to fight or new ones that would. Also, riding a familiar was discussed. So, I returned to the wonderful World three months ago after an eight year sleep. Yes, last time I played was in 2006. Any word on fighting familiars? My wife, an empath and also slept with me, can cast GS and it uses TM skill. A GS seems like a familiar to me.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 01:49 PM CST
The idea of familiars fighting was originally supposed to be the result of a spell, but I am not sure if that is still planned. Personally, I feel it is sort of unnecessary given the other things we have going for us and would prefer to get different spells (like one elemental transformation spell per element) over yet another TM spell that just happens to use a familiar as messaging.

As far back as I can remember (pre-2000 with no breaks), I don't recall riding familiars ever being on the table officially.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 01:50 PM CST
Further familiar work is waiting for some core system work to be done. To be perfectly honest, I've always considered it a really neat side thing but not a particular critical addition, so I haven't pushed the point too far.

Probably won't have fighting gerbils ("Go for the eyes, Boo!") but instead summon single-purpose elementals for the purpose.

Like GS, it's intended that Warmage pet-fighting will be based on a Cyclic TM spell.

Riding your gerbil is not on the current dev horizon.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 02:00 PM CST
>>Riding your gerbil is not on the current dev horizon.

Maybe not for SOME developers...

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 02:06 PM CST
Someone call PETA....

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 02:23 PM CST

Riding a gerbil seems silly, unless the gerbil is bearish in size. I see riding a bear feasible. I am not sure on the other animals.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 03:34 PM CST
I guess it depends on carrying capacity of the gerbil... I mean there's no real reason why you couldn't just stand on it with one foot. It's not like they get crushed anymore.

Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 05:06 PM CST
>> Probably won't have fighting gerbils ("Go for the eyes, Boo!") but instead summon single-purpose elementals for the purpose.

Boo and Minsc were awesome. But Boo was a miniature giant space hamster, not a gerbil.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Boo
Re: Fighting familiars 11/24/2014 11:35 PM CST
> I guess it depends on carrying capacity of the gerbil

African or European?
Re: Fighting familiars 11/28/2014 04:33 PM CST

Minsc and Boo were my favorites!! Best Game series ever, after playing all I could, went to modding and playing that way. Way fun!
And yes, miniature giant space hamster!
Re: Fighting familiars 01/21/2015 08:45 AM CST
Any information on how the core system updates are progressing?

I had a thought that the familiar, or elemental, would require etf and then we summon from the fissure we opened. Of Course, summon skill and how large the fissure is determines the size and strength of the elemental we are trying to summon. Just one of many thoughts as I continue to back train weapons and armor.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 02:07 AM CST
Some good progress has been made. I have an archetypal pet that can do a bunch of stuff so far, including going into combat and deciding what to smack and what not to smack.

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 08:14 AM CST
Nice! I suppose you could not share a estimated time of arrival, eta, or any other information about the pet? The standard 'soon' answer is expected for eta. :)

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 09:16 AM CST
Sounds awesome. Looking forward to breaking the system.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 10:46 AM CST

Wow first ive read of this. Sounds neat!
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 01:39 PM CST
>>I suppose you could not share a estimated time of arrival, eta

No eta yet, there's still a lot of stuff to get into the core pet stuff, primarily mounted support and storage since the system will also be encompassing horses. Then there's however long it would take to create the method to obtain an elemental, and other stuff like that.

>>or any other information about the pet?

The actual pet I'm working on is a borg. Not something that would ever actually be released, just a prototype pet that can do everything that any pet could ever do. Once he and the core is done, anyone can use his script as a template to create a pet type that can do some portion of what he does.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 02:41 PM CST
>No eta yet, there's still a lot of stuff to get into the core pet stuff, primarily mounted support and storage since the system will also be encompassing horses. Then there's however long it would take to create the method to obtain an elemental, and other stuff like that.

I was thinking about asking about Horses, but since that seems like you get sent toward the dead horse society for asking about horses, I refrained. I'm so glad you answered so thoroughly, and that's part of the plan!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 06:13 PM CST
When pet core is done, will non-combat familiars become (non-combat) pets? It'd be nice if their system was update-friendly.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 08:39 PM CST
>>When pet core is done, will non-combat familiars become (non-combat) pets? It'd be nice if their system was update-friendly.

Yep.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 09:22 PM CST
How wide is the definition of pet in this case? E.g. are shadowlings pets? What about Shadow Servants? Starlight sphere? I would speculate maybe, yes, and no respectively.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 09:51 PM CST
Probably all yes at some point. Also - Sanyu Lyba, Guardian Spirit, Spectral Reaper, Zombies, Mudmen, Risen, Igors, Companions, Horses, and whatever else I can't recall that would benefit from some part of being part of Pet Core.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Fighting familiars 01/22/2015 10:45 PM CST
>>Some good progress has been made. I have an archetypal pet that can do a bunch of stuff so far, including going into combat and deciding what to smack and what not to smack.

My only Real hOpe is that the prior list is larger than the latter.
Re: Fighting familiars 01/23/2015 07:51 AM CST
>>The actual pet I'm working on is a borg.

Resistance is futile! (could not resist)

I look forward to the updates! Perhaps then Frank, my black dog, will understand what I was trying to teach him... (even if he becomes a 'pet' and non-combative, he can watch how it is done).

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Fighting familiars 01/23/2015 10:18 AM CST
Hrm.. I'd love to see Ranger companions in this system as well if it were possible :)
Re: Fighting familiars 01/23/2015 10:40 AM CST
<<Hrm.. I'd love to see Ranger companions in this system as well if it were possible :)

<<Probably all yes at some point. Also - Sanyu Lyba, Guardian Spirit, Spectral Reaper, Zombies, Mudmen, Risen, Igors, Companions, Horses, and whatever else I can't recall that would benefit from some part of being part of Pet Core.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Fighting familiars 01/23/2015 10:46 AM CST
Heh. I did miss it. Guess I need more coffee ::Wanders over to the coffee pot for a refill::
Re: Fighting familiars 10/30/2015 01:02 PM CDT
Any updates to share with the class? The last update was in a while ago. F2P and SIMUCON are behind us, Hollow Eve in front of us, and no fighting familiar beside us.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Fighting familiars 05/20/2018 03:20 PM CDT
With all of the updates to other guild "pets" what about our fighting familiars? My lynx has been bugging me for years to let her fight.
Re: Fighting familiars 05/22/2018 12:02 AM CDT
Adding my own voice here. I'd love to see some sort of elemental or pseudo-elemental summoning (like storm bulls or seordmaors or something) via talisman plus spell as an alternative to the other cyclics. Since mechanics have been equalized for this sort of thing and it being a cyclic wouldn't be adding to our action economy, is there any chance we might see something like that coming down the pipe for WM's?

- Saragos
Re: Fighting familiars 05/22/2018 12:29 AM CDT
Warrior Mages are slated to get spellcasting combat familiars in the form of a cyclic.

GM Grejuva
Re: Fighting familiars 05/22/2018 07:51 AM CDT

> Warrior Mages are slated to get spellcasting combat familiars in the form of a cyclic.

That's nice. Will there be different levels, such as the small to fir fams now? WIll the spells they cast vary, such as utility or debilitation, or will it all be damage focused?
Re: Fighting familiars 05/22/2018 10:38 AM CDT

>Warrior Mages are slated to get spellcasting combat familiars in the form of a cyclic.

Super excited for these! If it's possible, can you also please remove the held talisman restriction for issuing commands to an already summoned familiar?
Re: Fighting familiars 01/16/2020 05:58 PM CST

This even still a pip dream?