Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/09/2014 06:47 PM CDT
Recently returned to the game and just made 50th circle. with the Mech split and all, I accidentally moved all my Mech lore into other skills. Is Mech lore still the guiding skill for making talisman, or has it been switched to carving or something else like summoning?

Thanks
Skazar
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/09/2014 09:48 PM CDT
Mech is still required, no other crafting has been tied into it yet (mostly because Kodius, the guy who would do it, works 500 hours a week and still codes 402 DR systems at the same time).

On the bright side, depending on how long you've been gone, braiding grass is an easy (if mind numbing) way to train mech.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 12:14 AM CDT
Wow, I really sympathize. It'll be nice when the transition to all the new creation systems is completed.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 12:57 AM CDT
Engineering is partially tied to talisman crafting. Carving a talisman will teach and contest Mech or Eng, which ever is higher. My warmie uses Engineering to carve all his talismans.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 02:40 AM CDT

really? I'm saving my crafting for when enchanting comes out, any particular reason you've already started something, or am i jumping the gun an its just incidental on your part?
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 03:18 AM CDT
>really? I'm saving my crafting for when enchanting comes out

Wish I'd done that. I was under the impression, coming back after a break, that you needed to have a career/hobby to learn techniques. Not the case!

>any particular reason you've already started something, or am i jumping the gun an its just incidental on your part?

You can learn crafting skills without picking it as a career/hobby so most likely just incidental. Or maybe they just like carving!
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 02:09 PM CDT
There's no reason not to earn the tdps! Heck, we're lore secondary.

Its also really nice to train up some basic competence in forging and/or outfitting for the field repair techs.

Remedies are neat but require several hundred more ranks for baseline usefulness (limb remedies) compared to unlocking repairs.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 05:39 PM CDT
>Remedies are neat but...

Completely useless. Avoid them like the plague.

Yes, that's hyperbole, but honestly, the time and cost to effect ratio is terrible. You'd be healed cheaper/faster at an autopath, just skip the remedies. Especially since they leave you with wounds you have to have a player fix.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 09:18 PM CDT

hmm.. we do get 2 hobies yes? one for blacksmithing might come in handy but ponders yes i just checked elanthipedia and we have 3 crafting we get a bonus at. (artifice, binding, invoking) there might be a reason is why im holding out. perhaps theres something that requires all 3. Am i thinking to much on this?
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 10:43 PM CDT
Enchanting isn't out yet. All of those fall under that umbrella.

Take a look at the planned and available crafting trees. If you want to do one, save a hobby or career for that.

Bear in mind you never need to pick a hobby or career. You can progress from 0-1750 ranks perfectly fine without one. It just gives you bonus techs, so it's best to make a H/C choice on something you really want to do a lot.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/10/2014 10:58 PM CDT
I strongly recommend NOT selecting a career or hobby until you've trained at least the first hundred ranks of the skill! Maybe more.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the lay of the enchanting bonus techs, since enchanting's design is still hovering slightly above ground, besides, 1 technique is nothing, you get your first technique just from leveling a craft lore to 25. You could do that on accident by listening to the wrong class.

You don't need the career/hobby bonuses to get a feel for the systems, which ones you like and which ones you don't. You'll have 4 techniques from ranks alone by 100 (and training a skill to 100 is easy), enough to get a sense of whether you like the system or not, and enough for basic functionality you might want like repairs, or arrange options.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/11/2014 09:58 AM CDT
>I strongly recommend NOT selecting a career or hobby until you've trained at least the first hundred ranks of the skill! Maybe more.

This. I would love it if they put in a system where you needed 50-100 ranks in order to career/hobby.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/11/2014 11:07 AM CDT
Back on the topic of fir familiars, is the chance that they drag you when you're stunned still modified by Charisma? I noticed it dropped off the Charisma page while another outdated reference was deleted and just wanted to confirm that it should have been taken off or if it was an accidental deletion.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/13/2014 08:59 PM CDT
>Back on the topic of fir familiars, is the chance that they drag you when you're stunned still modified by Charisma? I noticed it dropped off the Charisma page while another outdated reference was deleted and just wanted to confirm that it should have been taken off or if it was an accidental deletion.

I'd like to say that it does with some sort of authority, simply because I continue to dump tdp's into Charisma. But I can't say it with authority. Anecdotally, at 55 charisma I haven't seen an instance where they don't drag since -- I dunno -- 45? 40? Suffice to say that they always drag for me so far. But I also don't get stunned much.
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/13/2014 09:17 PM CDT
I'm at 45 charisma, and while it used to be helpful in 2.0 where stuns lead to near-guaranteed death, sometimes I regret it now. I get dragged most often during stupid small stuns when I actually don't want to be so often anymore.

It would be nice if it only kicked in on stuns above a certain level/duration, or once our health dropped below a certain limit. With 3.0 bringing a lot more smaller stuns during combat, and less large death-causing stuns, it could benefit from some re-working.

-Master Ndin
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ndin
Re: Recently Returned - Fir Familiar question 08/14/2014 01:27 AM CDT
>It would be nice if it only kicked in on stuns above a certain level/duration, or once our health dropped below a certain limit. With 3.0 bringing a lot more smaller stuns during combat, and less large death-causing stuns, it could benefit from some re-working.

I'd agree.