Kort Potion 05/23/2012 09:16 PM CDT
So you people who say you don't need Kort Potions to do the dark familiar quest...at what point could you summon your talisman? I've dipped it in the holy water and carved it and attempted to summon it and have gotten this messaging.

>>Nothing happens. Your falcon talisman doesn't seem to be finished.

The talisman is finished and further carving has weakened the talisman, so it's definitely done.

I have a Kort Potion, which I was lucky enough to find and hold onto. But I am trying to do it without the Kort Potion, do I still need to offer the talisman to the mound (somehow) without the potion? Or was I supposed to be able to summon it at this point, which is what I thought.

If I was supposed to be able to summon it after carving and the holy water, I'm thinking that somehow the code's reverted back to requiring the Kort Potion, I'm not sure how this would be possible, but anything can happen. At least in the case of the first familiar subsequent ones should be fine, since they were for my friend.
Re: Kort Potion 05/23/2012 09:20 PM CDT

P.S. This has likely gone through the cracks since people looking up the quest on elanthipedia see it as required, since the quest page has never been updated to reflect that it is not necessary anymore.
Re: Kort Potion 05/23/2012 09:35 PM CDT
Sorry for the triple post, but I've done the Kort Potion part of the quest and can now successfully summon my raven, and can not summon the falcon, so it seems I will need another Kort Potion if I want to get more dark familiars. Again, since this was supposed to be updated, what am I doing wrong? Or has it accidentally reverted back to being needed?
Re: Kort Potion 05/23/2012 11:16 PM CDT
I thought the need to use Kort Potions to keep the talisman usable expired but the tradeoff was that it was needed in the creation. Or is that outdated, too.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Kort Potion 05/24/2012 12:27 AM CDT
I think that was true at some point? Maybe? But last year it was supposedly changed to not need Kort Potions anymore at all. I'm definitely finding that to not be true, though.
Re: Kort Potion 05/24/2012 12:58 AM CDT
>But last year it was supposedly changed to not need Kort Potions anymore at all.

This was my recollection, but I can't find any announcement about this in the forums. Do you happen to have a post, cause otherwise this was all I could find:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/Familiars/view/356

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Kort Potion 05/24/2012 07:17 AM CDT
Well, no. I just have word of mouth from many people saying they didn't need a Kort Potion when they did the quest, I guess. Especially since when my friend did the quest and she needed a Kort Potion, everybody kind of insisted that they weren't necessary anymore without actually providing feedback where one could be found. I thought I remember a post about it in the past, but I didn't play a WM at the time, so I didn't think about it. I guess I'll assist in game and see if needing Kort Potions was intended all along and there was a possible time where it wasn't needed by accident and it's just recently been turned back on. Do people even give these to the elementals anymore? I haven't found one drop in combat in ages.
Re: Kort Potion 05/24/2012 01:31 PM CDT
>>XXXXXX says, "And the answer is, no Kort potions are no longer necessary."

Took out the GMs name for privacy because I think that's policy or something, but I assisted in game and got that answer. It definitely was NOT working without the Kort Potion prior to this afternoon, but now it is.

Just glad to finally get some confirmation that Kort Potions are not necessary.

After finishing with the assist I did a little more testing by carving one last talisman, it seems logging out and back in is what fixes the problem and allows you to summon the talisman without problem. So if anyone else is having trouble summoning their talisman after finishing the carving process, don't fret, you don't need a Kort Potion and all you have to do is exit the game and log back in. Hooray mystery solved.