Sure Footing slot cost 06/24/2017 12:18 PM CDT
Why is it 3 slots instead of 2? There aren't too many reference points for a parry/balance heal, but python form is 1 slot and Centering is also only 1 slot. It feels like SuF is overcost for the effects...
Re: Sure Footing slot cost 06/24/2017 12:51 PM CDT
Pretty sure magic spells are costed a minimum of 2 slots if they augment a primary defense (shield/parry/evasion). SuF is costed one more slot for the balance heal (which is why Centering is 1 slot). I vaguely remember reading this, i just can't remember the post.

Barbarian ability slots aren't necessarily equal or the same in terms of cost as magic spell slots.
Re: Sure Footing slot cost 06/24/2017 02:22 PM CDT
I seem to recall that each skill/ability added to a spell was supposed to cost one slot with the exception of evasion costing two. Just looking at epedia though it is clear that this is not the case. Spell slot costs are not uniform across the guilds, most likely thru spells slipping thru the cracks. Swirling Winds and Philosopher's Preservation both cost three slots each (two for the evasion and one for the reflex) yet Harmony also costs three slots (buffing evasion and reflex as well as parry). Instinct costs two slots and is only an evasion boost while Aggressive Stance also costs two slots and boosts evasion and brawling. I know that GM time is severely limited, but a review of slot costs on spells might be beneficial. Also, is an evasion buff still supposed to cost two slots now or was this more of a legacy thing from the sphere of influence phase when everyone had evasion in their sphere.
Re: Sure Footing slot cost 06/24/2017 04:35 PM CDT
>Swirling Winds and Philosopher's Preservation both cost three slots each (two for the evasion and one for the reflex) yet Harmony also costs three slots (buffing evasion and reflex as well as parry). Instinct costs two slots and is only an evasion boost while Aggressive Stance also costs two slots and boosts evasion and brawling. I know that GM time is severely limited, but a review of slot costs on spells might be beneficial. Also, is an evasion buff still supposed to cost two slots now or was this more of a legacy thing from the sphere of influence phase when everyone had evasion in their sphere.

The only one of those I think that is actually miss cost might be philosophers preservation, all of the ones you listed as undercost are self only buffs which normally reduces their cost. Swirling winds and Instinct and other evasion buffs that can be cast on others follow the expected 2 slot for evasion rule.
Re: Sure Footing slot cost 06/24/2017 09:39 PM CDT
I seem to recall that aggressive stance has brawling *thrown in* since for a long time, that was all empaths could train in combat without shock (before tactics was a thing and circle, bob, weave trained brawling). Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many +shield or +parry boosters out there, hence having to pick on the barb form (the only other parry booster is Harmony and....yeah). +Shield has a couple more. SR for paladins is 2 slots for +defending, +shield. SoL for clerics really can't be used to compare. Barbs get tornado with is +Shield and +Stamina for 2 slots.

So with the only exception being Sure Footing, best I can tell +Parry and +Shield are valued as 1 slot. And if that's the case, SuF should only be 2 as Centering is 1 slot for a balance heal (also hard to find to compare).