Ignite 09/18/2016 01:51 PM CDT

The Ignite spell adds a touch of fire to your weapon to help you strike down your enemies. Ignite's effects will even bolster weapons that already have a certain variety of fire damage, though not to the extent that it enhances the mundane sort. Of course, given the spell's nature, its effectiveness can be lost in water or if the weapon strays from your hand.

This is a non-battle spell that can be cast on a single target. Non-battle spells have significantly longer preparation times than battle spells. It can be cast on some objects. It requires a minimum of five mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a promising novice. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a genius in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Utility skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Fire Shards or Elementalism. It will also cost two spell slots.

How is this a non battle spell when the only practical use is in battle?
Re: Ignite 09/18/2016 01:53 PM CDT

Yet zephyr which has use in and out of combat is a battle spell?

The Zephyr spell raises a light refreshing breeze which helps improve fatigue recovery for all in the area. With enough power, it will also clear away some types of noxious clouds.

This is a battle spell, intended to be prepared quickly and cast on an area or group while in battle. It affects yourself. It requires a minimum of five mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a promising novice. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a genius in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Utility skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Elementalism or Air Lash. It will also cost two spell slots.

The spell requires at minimum 5 mana streams and you think you can reinforce it with 8 more, for a total of 13 streams.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
Re: Ignite 09/18/2016 02:06 PM CDT

> How is this a non battle spell when the only practical use is in battle?

Why would you ever want a set it and forget it augmentation spell as a battle spell? All it means is that you're going to have to spend more mana to keep it up.

> Yet zephyr which has use in and out of combat is a battle spell?

I'd argue that this doesn't need to be a battle spell, but I can only think of three ways to become fatigued. Swimming, combat, and debuffs.
Re: Ignite 09/18/2016 02:26 PM CDT

It trains utility not augmentation, it has a short life span 3 roisean when I started using. So its not a set it and forget it spell.
All I am saying is there is no use outside of battle and has a short duration. So how does it not fall under a battle spell, I could see if it has a long duration but it doesn't. at 13 mana (max at skill) I get 6 roisaen.

Es is a non battle as well yet a 10 mana (Max at skill) cast nets me 14 roisaen. seem a little skewed to me.
Re: Ignite 09/18/2016 03:38 PM CDT

> It trains utility not augmentation, it has a short life span 3 roisean when I started using. So its not a set it and forget it spell.

You mean 4 minutes, and that would have been 2 minutes as a battle spell. The point is that battle spells cap out at 10 minute durations. Ignite is still on the low end, but it caps at 20 minutes right now.

> at 13 mana (max at skill) I get 6 roisaen.

You would only get 3 minutes if it were a battle spell. Mana doesn't go down. It would still take up to 100 mana to cap, but the duration and prep time would.

> Es is a non battle as well yet a 10 mana (Max at skill) cast nets me 14 roisaen. seem a little skewed to me.

Some are shorter. Some are longer.

Click through the warding, utility, and augmentation spells here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Battle_spells

Ask yourself if shorter durations are really worth the shorter cast time. I don't think they are.
Re: Ignite 09/18/2016 05:01 PM CDT
Non battle in the sense of prep time and duration. Battle spells prep faster, but only last 2 to 10 minutes. Non-battle spells take longer to reach full prep, but last from 10 to 40 minutes. Ritual spells prep the slowest, but last from 40 to 90 minutes.
Re: Ignite 09/18/2016 05:11 PM CDT

my point exactly being a non battle spell the duration is wacked 4 minutes / 20 minutes compare to all others that are 10 to 40
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 01:24 AM CDT
~Guess Post~

Zephyr does have use out of combat, and doesn't directly impact your combat abilities, so is a non-combat spell.Swirling Winds/Sure Footing and the like do more than just buff combat skills, so they are non-combat.

Castable on others might also factor into designations. (See: Substratum)

The only spell that sort of breaks these ideas is Magnetic Ballista, which is a non-battle spell that has no other use.. but it's construct creation instead of stat manipulation, so maybe that's why?

So ignite is only castable on a weapon (yours), technically impacts your hands, allowing you to switch weapons and maintain the spell and preventing you from casting on other people's weapons, and is one of only a handful of spells that change an item's stats instead of a character's skills/stats.

I think bless is non-combat though. if so, a change should be considered.
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 09:54 AM CDT

> I think bless is non-combat though.

Bless is probably it's own beast since it's a utility clerics give out. The # of strikes / bless makes it innately limited. Reducing the duration to 10 minutes instead would neuter non-clerics trying to hunt undead.

> if so, a change should be considered.

Battle spells for something that you can pre-set and pre-plan seem like a very poor user experience. I don't really see a reason why anyone would want their abilities nerfed solely for ideology.
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 11:37 AM CDT

"Zephyr does have use out of combat, and doesn't directly impact your combat abilities, so is a non-combat spell."

The Zephyr spell raises a light refreshing breeze which helps improve fatigue recovery for all in the area. With enough power, it will also clear away some types of noxious clouds.
This is a battle spell, intended to be prepared quickly and cast on an area or group while in battle.

Unlike Bless.. Ignite has a slight chance of doing additional fire damage... out of 40 hits there was only one strike that did visible fire damage, and I have not noticed any real damage difference with or without the spell up.
My appraisal is only at 57 so I am unable to accurately appraise a weapon's damage before and after use of spell. I will have to try and find someone with a high appraisal skill and get some more info.
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 01:47 PM CDT
huh I read your earlier post about zephyr incorrectly. I thought you were saying it's only use is in combat, but is a non-combat spell. It still has uses out of combat. People do stuff that take fatigue hits that aren't combat related(clerics/empaths). Noxious clouds come from box traps.

I'm saying make ignite like bless (I'm agreeing with you, stop arguing)

with 400-ish relevant ranks, I get somewhat fair fire damage, random strikes with ignite.
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 02:15 PM CDT

> I'm saying make ignite like bless (I'm agreeing with you, stop arguing)

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying leave well enough alone. Ignite isn't broken.
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 03:47 PM CDT
>>Ignite isn't broken.

I don't think anyone is saying it's broken as much as offering a way to improve upon it.

I can see value in wanting the effects of ignite to be strike-based vs duration-based.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Ignite 09/19/2016 03:53 PM CDT
It doesn't necessarily have to be strike based, because random attacks (plus we can summon weapons that do elemental damage anyway)

But having a longer duration and being castable on a weapon for someone else instead of just ourselves would be nifty.

It's a fine line that dips toes into summoning and enchanting, so I'm a bit leery of buffing the spell other than to tweak the options.
Re: Ignite 09/25/2016 11:56 PM CDT
It's hard to compare Ignite to other spells, since so few of them buff weapons. We do have a couple to compare it to, though.

Ignite - 2 slots, 20 minute max duration, not a battle spell.
Resonance - 2 slots, 40 minute max duration, not a battle spell.
Rutilor's Edge - 2 slots, 40 minute max duration, battle spell.

The discrepancy may be that the elemental damage of Ignite is considered superior to the other spells, or it may just be that Ignite is out of whack compared to the other two. Personally, if I had to pick between a 40 minute max duration and having it be a battle spell, I'd choose the first. I'd rather know that it's going to last as long as my other buffs than have it be a battle spell. Because, honestly, if things have gone south and I'm caught unprepared, Ignite is far from the first thing I'm going to want to throw up anyway.

- Saragos
Re: Ignite 09/26/2016 07:27 AM CDT
>>I'd rather know that it's going to last as long as my other buffs than have it be a battle spell. Because, honestly, if things have gone south and I'm caught unprepared, Ignite is far from the first thing I'm going to want to throw up anyway.

Battle Spell buffs are in a rough spot. The Durations are SOO short that you HAVE to dump a ton of mana into them, and that generally means you're spending more time then the abreviated prep to efficiently gather the mana. I'd just as soon see all 'buff' spells be standard/ritual spells personally, save the 'battle' class for debilitation/anti-ward utility/dispelling.

Samsaren
Re: Ignite 09/26/2016 08:21 AM CDT

> Battle Spell buffs are in a rough spot. The Durations are SOO short that you HAVE to dump a ton of mana into them, and that generally means you're spending more time then the abreviated prep to efficiently gather the mana. I'd just as soon see all 'buff' spells be standard/ritual spells personally, save the 'battle' class for debilitation/anti-ward utility/dispelling

I agree with this. I don't think buffs should be battle spells due to the way DR handles buffs. It's not something you want to be casting a lot, and if it falls off in combat (and you're relying on it) then you're already dead.

I think debilitation spells and spells without a duration should be the benchmark for battle spells (ie: TM in general, Ward break, Elyhaar's feast)
Re: Ignite 09/29/2016 09:37 PM CDT
> Battle Spell buffs are in a rough spot. The Durations are SOO short that you HAVE to dump a ton of mana into them, and that generally means you're spending more time then the abreviated prep to efficiently gather the mana. I'd just as soon see all 'buff' spells be standard/ritual spells personally, save the 'battle' class for debilitation/anti-ward utility/dispelling.

I agree with you. Although, I have to say, Paladins are in a rougher spot with their battle spells, IMO, than a magic prime guild like WM's (Anti-Stun, I'm looking at you). I'm ok with there being some room for variation in spells, but again, Ignite is neither a battle spell nor does it have the standard buff duration.

- Saragos
Re: Chained Lightning 03/25/2017 12:46 PM CDT
Is there a reason why the targeted version, that only casts on those who are engaged with you, results in a fine while in justice zones? I could understand why the CAST AREA version would do so, because it's reckless but having the same effect with the targeted version is a major annoyance. Especially during auto-invasions when the justice isn't dropped.
Re: Chained Lightning 03/25/2017 09:13 PM CDT
>Is there a reason why the targeted version, that only casts on those who are engaged with you, results in a fine while in justice zones?

The oft (Monthly, at least) stated reason is that Elanthian justice isn't run by wizards who know the difference.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history