Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 10:24 AM CDT

Warrior Mages dont appear to have anything in our repertoire to directly defend against stealth oriented guilds.

Rangers, Paladins, Necromancers and Thieves.

Everyone can use WATCH, for a bit of a perception bonus. And we have Rimefang, Shockwave and Ring of Spears.

But to me those are for you use up close, melee, pole range.

Do we have anything that will help mitigate for someone sicking a zombie on you, or sitting back at ranged and sniping all from hiding?

We do have Frost Bite and Thunder clap but neither of those knock the player from hiding or help you find them.

Also with the addition of items that mitigate stuns, Thunder Clap is rather useless.

Thanks!
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 10:44 AM CDT

Those sneaky Paladins, I knew that whole honor thing was a ruse.
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 12:20 PM CDT
Does fire rain/etc. have a 'cast area' option that hits hidden?

I think, on paper, it looks like 'vs. stealth' is a pretty big weakness for most guilds, isn't it? Especially if the stealth guilds have some form of pulsing invis?
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 01:27 PM CDT
WM's defense against stealth is nuke the area by design. All AoE TM spells that have an area/engaged option will pull people out of hiding if you can successfully hit them.
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 01:34 PM CDT
>>I think, on paper, it looks like 'vs. stealth' is a pretty big weakness for most guilds, isn't it? Especially if the stealth guilds have some form of pulsing invis?

Most guilds have ways to deal with stealth users, or Thieves/Rangers/Necros would still be on the top of the PvP food chain like they were pre-3.0. It takes some testing to figure out what works best, but if those do not work then you are just outmatched.
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 02:34 PM CDT

So it boils down to a contest of your TM versus their shield and evasion? Keep spamming AOE TM attacks until something lands, which will pop them from hding?
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 02:50 PM CDT
>>So it boils down to a contest of your TM versus their shield and evasion? Keep spamming AOE TM attacks until something lands, which will pop them from hding?

Pretty much. Be aware that casting an AoE as area will also hit everyone else in the room too though.
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 03:07 PM CDT
So been following some key tactics for myself that's been working really well PVPing against stealthers:

1. Unless you're forced to for some reason, don't stay in the same room. Move around and find some place to hide. Doesn't matter that your stealth is crap, since you're forcing them to come out into the open and search for you.

2. Use your strongest debilitation while they're in the open. Ice patch not working because they have crazy reflexes or using khri avoidance or something? Go back to step 1 and use thunderclap the next time they search you out.

3. Instant TM spells are your friends. Spells as in plural. Get both. I don't care that DB is single shot, that one shot on a stunned/downed person does lots of vitality and can give them significant leg wounds if it hits that spot to hinder any future stealth. If they can't hide then they probably can't beat you.
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 03:13 PM CDT
>can give them significant leg wounds

When fighting steal-people, is it worth the accuracy hit to simply do 'cast legs', assuming you're not using AOE?
Re: Versus stealthers 05/31/2015 03:22 PM CDT
You can't fine target DB or BG so it's more luck of the draw. If you don't have those yet and are PVPing I don't know if it's worth it to try to fine target. Generally you need to have a pretty significant advantage for that to work as far as I can tell so better just to hit anywhere for damage then retreat for another attempt later.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/04/2015 08:41 AM CDT

> Warrior Mages dont appear to have anything in our repertoire to directly defend against stealth oriented guilds.

Can't fire rain/chain lightning kick someone out of stealth at range? If so, is there a period of time where they can't re-stealth?

I wonder if that could be a feature of MoA. Invoke mark to make it flare up and reveal your target, assuming you can hit them with it to begin with.

> We do have Frost Bite and Thunder clap but neither of those knock the player from hiding or help you find them.

You know what would be nice? A utility spell that extends the function of ice patch to an entire area. Anyone advancing or retreating has to make a reflex save or fall down (and out of hiding). For fun, let it be strengthened with repeated casts of frostbite and weakened with casts of fire rain.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/04/2015 09:41 AM CDT
Yes, they are kicked from stealth if you hit them. No, nothing prevents an immediate rehide.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Versus stealthers 06/04/2015 10:51 AM CDT
Also they may be inviso rather than hiding, in which case good luck.

Mazrian
Re: Versus stealthers 06/04/2015 06:37 PM CDT

So if they rehide just keep spamming spells and hope for a leg wound?

Also inviso, ive not heard of this term. Whats the difference between simply hiding and being inviso?

Thanks everyone
Re: Versus stealthers 06/04/2015 06:50 PM CDT
>>Whats the difference between simply hiding and being inviso?

Invisibility is reforming, so even if you hit them and even stun them, they can be put back into a hiding state without any actions on their part. It also allows them to move in and out of the room without RT. The reforming can be anywhere between instantly and I think 20 seconds.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/04/2015 09:03 PM CDT
Sounds like WMs need a leg-damage specific spell, and some version of Anther's call which works on hidden.

Heck, I'd say give WMs some type of spell which deals critical damage to players hiding or invisible. Put it in the earth book, since everyone has to touch the ground, make it some advanced version of Anther's call combined with frostbite, fire shard, or gar zeng. Only effects things the WM can't see (but can sense through his connection to the earth); Anther's call reaches out and grasps the enemy legs, then does an effect or damage based on the secondary cast type; straight damage via fire, nerve damage via electrical, or fatigue damage via frostbite (with some skin rash regardless).
Re: Versus stealthers 06/05/2015 12:56 PM CDT

Okay so you knock them from hiding and give them a leg wound and manage to stun them but they slip back into hiding due to inviso ability in effect.

Just keep spamming spells? Or leg it?
Re: Versus stealthers 06/05/2015 01:30 PM CDT

> Okay so you knock them from hiding and give them a leg wound and manage to stun them but they slip back into hiding due to inviso ability in effect.

In an even contest, wouldn't the leg wound hinder their ability to hide on you again? I'm assuming you use watch when you knock them out of hiding. Invis is probably a unique case though.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/05/2015 02:09 PM CDT

I guess I dont understand the inviiso thing. Is it a certain guilds only ability or is it item induced?
Re: Versus stealthers 06/05/2015 02:22 PM CDT
>I guess I dont understand the inviiso thing. Is it a certain guilds only ability or is it item induced?

Both.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Invisibility

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Item:Azure-scaled_poloh%27izh_hide_cloak

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Astoshe%27s_Eclipse
Re: Versus stealthers 06/05/2015 02:33 PM CDT
I have a ring that invokes invisibility. Casting a spell releases invisibility.

-Dartellum Waddle
Re: Versus stealthers 06/05/2015 07:17 PM CDT
First I'm not picking on what you posted, but just using it to answer the questions.

>>In an even contest, wouldn't the leg wound hinder their ability to hide on you again?

In a real world situation it wouldn't be an even contest on the stealth side. If we are talking inviso, and PvP stealth user, then they are going to outrank a WM if combats are close to even. If the stealth contest is even then the WM is going to have more combat ranks.

A leg wound will help your side of the contest, but it won't take stealth off the table by it's self.

>>I'm assuming you use watch when you knock them out of hiding.

If you aren't using WATCH from the start against a survival primary/MM in PvP as a WM, then you are doing it wrong. WATCH has been nerfed, but it's still enough to ruin my day during PvP.

>>Invis is probably a unique case though.

Ehh, not really. It's more annoying really. If you can knock them out of inviso repeatedly then after a reform or two it takes forever to reform, and they have to go back to using HIDE. You can do a lot of damage in 20 seconds, especially as a WM. AoE till they are out and then unload DB/BG/a Debil.

To answer the OP though, yes just keep pounding away with the AoEs if you have a PvP opponent who wants to stay in hiding. AoE doesn't care if they are using inviso or just plain hiding. All this is disregarding moving rooms, that's a different conversation.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/22/2015 11:17 PM CDT

Okay, why is it a different conversation entirely if your opponent is moving rooms? Im guessing because they just stalk away, wait for you to blow your AOE then stalk in and attack? Or does it reset the inviso timer?
Re: Versus stealthers 06/22/2015 11:36 PM CDT
>>Im guessing because they just stalk away, wait for you to blow your AOE then stalk in and attack?

Pretty much this, and you are guessing where they are at, or have to wait for them to attack you first to get a shot. Fire Rain is notoriously easy to avoid if you know what you are doing.

They can also run off to wait out the Watch timer which leaves you with one less tool since the timer to use Watch again is super long. Leaving the room will also break a targeting matrix (I think, it breaks aim).

Spars that are limited to one room and a free for all PvP conflict with no bounds are two entirely different fights. Spars usually favor the mages while the free for all will favor the stealth users using guerilla tactics.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 03:12 AM CDT
Cast nuke all
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 07:44 AM CDT
I want a spell that counters stealth by saying "Trying to hide while you're brightly aflame seems pointless". Without all the irritating hoops of Naphtha use.

Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 09:37 AM CDT

Is the only other option to somehow trap them in the room? And if so how would you hypothetically go about doing that with our current arsenal of spells and abilities if we even can?
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 10:14 AM CDT
You can't.

Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 10:17 AM CDT
>>Is the only other option to somehow trap them in the room?

Have more ranks than them.

The honest answer is that you are not going to be able to do this against a stealth user who knows what they are doing and REALLY does not want to be caught/killed.

As a PvP Thief I'll freely admit that every fight I've lost I lost because I chose to stick around.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 01:44 PM CDT

Im all for lighting things on fire, but it seems like there should be some sort of common ground where each guild could have an equal chance of winning or losing in a rank for rank all things equal kind of way.

I sure dont want to take away someones ability to hide and stalk but on the same note there should be some sort of common ground to bring the warrior mage advantage, magic, to bear.

Without them handicapping themselves with a promise to fight in one room or not hide at all.

Who wants to fight in a handicap all the time?
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 02:11 PM CDT
>>Im all for lighting things on fire, but it seems like there should be some sort of common ground where each guild could have an equal chance of winning or losing in a rank for rank all things equal kind of way.

The real issue is that when you are talking Survival tert vs. primary it's not going to be equal ranks if other combat skills are close to each other. This is why you use your TM in place of your perception. But for the most part most guilds have some way to deal with other guild's strengths. WM's way is just a bit more crude than others.

>>I sure dont want to take away someones ability to hide and stalk but on the same note there should be some sort of common ground to bring the warrior mage advantage, magic, to bear.

There are plenty of ways if both parties are willing to fight. I've been rocked hard by several WMs, and I've rocked of few of them myself. Moving around is more of a problem when the stealth target does not want to fight and is avoiding/drawing out the fight. Survival prime guilds (especially Thieves) have tools to escape fights, so they are much better than other guilds when it comes to hit and run, or just plain running.

At this point it comes down to player knowledge and tactics. It is not impossible for a WM to catch and kill a fleeing stealth user, it's just not easy to do and it shouldn't be easy to do.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 05:03 PM CDT

Im just saying I dont think it should be an automatic increase chance of loss because you chose to stick around against a warrior mage.

Nor do I think it should be an automatic loss because a warrior mage wanted to fight a survival prime who didnt want to "fight fair", and not do their utmost to kill the mage by moving rooms and using guerrilla tactics.

If im understanding the posts, the mage is at a disadvantage against a survival prime which skews more readily in the survival oriented guilds favor when you apply stun gear, and inviso abilities.

The mage needs to cast AOE spells, and hope to get a leg wound, or some sort of wound to knock the opponent from hiding multiple times espeacially in the case of the inviso ability which will negate the effect or slow its cycle time.

That line of thinking goes out the window though if you assume the survival prime will just stealth away and wait for the mages harness to be exhausted. Or im assuming they can wait their inviso ability to refresh?

If thats accurate, im wondering how you were clobbered by a warrior mage at all if you were infact not kinda throwing them a bone? And if they did catch you on the flee and dont mind saying, how did they?
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 06:47 PM CDT
>>If thats accurate, im wondering how you were clobbered by a warrior mage at all if you were infact not kinda throwing them a bone?

Heh, mainly because I don't shy away from taking a death. To answer your question though, it was good player tactics that usually got me. They would have a debil prepped and waiting with BG loaded up, or land a nice stun that allowed them to go to town since I don't wear stun hiders (I honestly think these are cheap, but they are part of the game). When I PvP I try to keep the other player's enjoyment in mind so I try not to make fights needlessly hard and frustrating (as long as the other player is acting in the same manner).

>> And if they did catch you on the flee and dont mind saying, how did they?

The only time I've ever been caught when I was trying to not be killed was on the rope bridge between Rossman's and Theren or when I am hunting, otherwise I'm not going to let someone kill me when I don't want to be killed. There is just too many tools at my disposal to let that happen.

I think you are getting wrapped up in the details though. Most players who are open to PvP these days realize that this is a game to be enjoyed and don't tend to make fights frustrating. Is it possible to run into a situation where a target gets away from you? Yes. That's PvP though.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 10:06 PM CDT

High level rogues are one of the most powerful pvp classes in the game right now, its why A.) they go for so much and B.) are hardly ever for sale. As stated if the rogue doesn't wanna be killed they can easily flee, run off to get healed.. Truthfully the best way to beat a high level rogue, be much higher than them. I've done some testing with our Debilitation spells and none of them brought the rogue I was casting on out, all of them landed but they stayed hidden. The only spell that did was Fire Rain, and ring of spears.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/23/2015 10:55 PM CDT
I mean if you want the simple answer of whether PVP is weighted unfairly towards survival people(mostly thieves) then the answer is yes. There are ways to mitigate this and plenty of attention has been drawn to it but yeah, factoring in inviso weirdness, stun hiders, primary vs tertiary skillset, a good number of our spells not revealing people in hiding(hearing a thud and not seeing where the person is when rimefang hits is just silly)...if the thief is good you're fighting a steep uphill battle.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/24/2015 10:01 PM CDT
What about a fortress of ice like effect that traps an attacker in the room with the mage after an attack for a short while? Or a ring of spears type effect that causes retreat to have a 5 second RT?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Versus stealthers 06/25/2015 07:37 AM CDT
If ring of spears had a meta where a person had to do an evasion vs TM check to get out of melee I'd pick it up so fast.
Re: Versus stealthers 06/25/2015 01:20 PM CDT
Bring back old ROS imo. The engagement block owned.

Mazrian
Re: Versus stealthers 07/08/2015 06:14 AM CDT
I don't think putting TM vs Stealth is a fair enough matchup. Although they are primary skills to their respective classes, in my experience with Survival primaries (albeit pre 3.x) it is easier to train Stealth than TM. Therefore relying on TM vs Stealth or even Debilitation vs Evasion isn't as much an equalizer as I think we would like it to be. I think utilizing Augmentation and Utility skills in contests as a means to enable a TM attack might be more creative, fun and fair than just buffing TM and TM spells to negate the advantage of stealth.

I like the Fortress of Ice idea mentioned above. Additionally, shouldn't something like elemental earth magic permit us to sense seismic activity? So perhaps a high enough cast of Sure Footing acts as a "radar" for a short duration permitting us the chance to cast on a hidden target, or will detect them advancing or loading arrows? Follow up attacks would require an additional SUF casts (if still hidden), but with a high enough mana requirement (as well as the time to prep it) for this effect it wouldn't be so cheap as to completely negate the benefit of hiding.

I think across the board War Mage spells should be adjusted to include a combat utility type quirk. This would compensate for the overlapping and redundant options that exist across the books.

Some ideas:
-Shockwave knocks down unless Pathway Potency which will make it push things out of the room
-SUF to assist in short term hidden/invis detection (could/should make it harder to hit the person with a follow-up TM spell perhaps?)
-Tremor pulsing effect causes a contest resulting in either staying hidden, RT to stay hidden, fall out of hiding, and fall out of hiding with RT.
-Zephyr boosts potency of other Air spells when active in a room
-PW could be used with any thrown type weapon rather than just naptha, or hey, could be used to knock people from hiding
-CL could do more damage/more hits based upon the number of targets that are available. Perhaps also a small chance to make them drop their held items. Makes it a good choice for clearing rooms full of creatures but not always for hunting?
etc

Aradar