Prev_page Previous 1
spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:20 AM CDT

I don't know how this is disruptive. I think this is a legit complaint. All I asked is if you could remove certain spells as pre requisites because they are useless and a waste of spell slots. Why have a complaint folder if I'm not allowed to post a complaint?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:23 AM CDT
Complaints that are not directly insulting, inflamatory and distruptive are perfectly welcome.

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:32 AM CDT
Sorry if you were Insulted. Imagine how we feel after years of effort and much money spent to see what was once our decent PVP guild reduced to the laughing stock of the PVP circle.
But I regress.
How about my request? Can you give me any kind of answer on that?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:44 AM CDT
Oh, no worries, I wasn't insulted. I'm sorry to say, I don't have any plans to revamp the entire spellbook, and of course some of the title system again since it's tied into that, over a few spells that you personally don't find useful. Regarding YS specifically, at some point it will be better off or replaced entirely. Until then, it's 1 slot. But I think that's been covered a bit already.

For PvP, you may want to try out PW. I understand it has some very nice applications in that regard.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:57 AM CDT
Unless PW has undergone some kind of change recently, talking last 3 months here, I find it of no use. RT kills the pull effect in PVP and while it may still knock back or knock down it no longer does any damage. I don't even use it anymore. Waste of time in PVP and critters don't retreat if you are hunting in your combat range. PW used to be my favorite combat spell so I'm a bit biased on these changes. I really hate them ;). PW plus a good bow or XB was really what being a warmage was about. Magic and weapon combination. With the combat changes, being knocked down and stunned isn't what it used to be. Still haven't figured out how a guy on his back stunned can dodge an arrow. Hope you do something about that. Now it's mostly magic for PVP because of that. Hunting is still good. But critters can't compare to the adventures in the game in fighting skill. No complaints there.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 04:03 AM CDT
PW doesn't have RT last I checked. It also douses the target in naphtha if you are holding some. Combine that with pulling a target into something like a fully loaded Rimefang and Elemental weapon while preparing a Flame Shockwave... Like I said, you may want to get a better idea of the spells you have before unloading here.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 04:54 AM CDT

Just tested PW. RT is gone. Thanks for that. Had one before and like I said I don't use it anymore so never saw the change. Naptha is meh right now. Saw a thread on that a couple of months ago and tested using PW. Not much damage. I hear better naptha is on the list so maybe that will get better. Not a fan of spells like rimfang when it's so easy to insta retreat and duck out. I'm not as advanced in the guild like Erixx and Starlear. 23 mana is my max on that spell. Not very impressive yet. Maybe later when I can put more power in it. Plus when I cast a spell while it's up that spell uses my stored mana. Maybe I just miss the old ways where weapons played just as much a part as magic did in PVP. If I wanted to be all magic I would of been a moonie. With that aspect gone and no real boost in magic, a regression really, PVP just isn't as much fun. It's not always about winning and losing. Sometimes it's about doing different combinations of things. Now it's all magic now. Prep, cast, harness, prep.... As it is I just don't spar much anymore. To frustrating to tell the truth. Target a spell and they duck out. The debilitation spells are lacking to compensate a full prep and target or even a full aim from a ranged weapon. You guys made a lot of good changes in the game over the years. But some things shouldn't be changed. Just my opinion.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 06:29 AM CDT
PvP is very different in combat 3.x. I was frustrated with my WM too until I came to terms with that. You can still be good, but have to learn a different style.

Mazrian
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 06:42 AM CDT
The biggest issues with the PW naphtha combo are naphtha doing very little damage (I tested it about 2 months ago after not using it for a year or so and on a high level player they regenerate Vitality faster than it pulses) and the fact that naphtha is local area damage now - it hits a specific part of the body and you have only a relatively short time to ignite by hitting the same area again before it evaporates.

The main reason the combo is currently not more than a curiosity is that store bought naphtha is very low in damage (it was nerfed a year or two ago at least - I used this combo a ton before then). The idea was that it was too good and would leave no room for alchemy-made naphtha.

We have no idea when Alchemy naphtha will be added. If it is anywhere near as damaging as pre-nerf naphtha then I will definitely use it, even with the damage being local only instead of full body.

It's true that WM's are in a rough spot on the PvP totem pole at the moment, but there is so much being reviewed right now that could effect PvP balance that I have just stopped PvP altogether for now and am going to re-evaluate it after I can take in the coming changes as a whole - particularly that there are spells other guilds have that are on GM radar as being too good, and the barrier review.

In my Opinion the problem with WM's is that their "overpowered" stuff has already had its balance pass, whereas other guilds still have their overpowered abilities. Yes, it makes us underpowered at the moment, but there is no reason to think it is going to stay that way or that there is some GM conspiracy to make PvP unfun for WM's while they steeple their finger ls and cackle or something.

The best thing you can do is to keep testing out stuff and make constructive posts when you feel something needs a knob turned. I don't know how many GM's were into PvP in their player days so I just try and post about how different stuff feels as a player when something feels underpowered.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 06:51 AM CDT
nerf pulsing inviso, nerf backstab, nerf clerics (again).

Then burn it all down until only traders pvp.

Mazrian
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 12:27 PM CDT
I'm surprised that PW+naphtha isn't perceived as useful, even given that only store bought naphtha is available. I don't recommend it for a friendly fight since one of the main features of new naphtha is armor damage. And yes, if you buy 1 dose of naphtha and hit them with it, it might be hard to get it to ignite, and then do little damage (though the reason it does very little damage at first is because it's busy destroying armor). But if you combine a few doses into a bigger dose, then have a couple of those big doses fired off a couple of times, then start wailing fire, you have a better chance of getting ignition, and the effects last longer.

If your foe is wearing a single set armor, rather than pieces, more than likely you have at least one of those hits on a part covered by that armor, and if you get that lit up through any number of targeted attack types WM have at their disposal for generating fire, you will cause significant damage to the armor. And if the fight is at all even, then that armor damage coupled with the damage from the flames can make a huge difference. And once armor is damaged to a certain extent, naphtha starts doing a great deal of damage, so more burning is better.

Run and gun is another common complaint. Well, can't run from fire. And if your target darts off while burning, there's a chance they will stop to roll the flames out, which is an excellent opportunity to catch up to they and take a shot at them while prone.

Now, if you're PvPing someone that outclasses you, ok, naphtha is not going to help. Otherwise, just because it isn't an insta-death substance anymore doesn't mean you should toss it to the curb or give little value to TM driven spell that delivers it easily.

And just a heads up. High potency naphtha won't do more damage. It evaporates much slower and burns much faster, so less waste if you are working on doing some soaking, and more DoT - because less T. But each burn does the same damage to armor/health/body regardless of potency.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 12:44 PM CDT
I just have to complain that while the seeming lack of a WM perspective in development can be frustrating, the incredible negative of vocal warrior mages was an equal factor in just giving up on mine for awhile.

If I have to hear constantly about how terrible and unfun my character is supposed to be, it kind of detract from what enjoyment I still got out of running her.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 12:53 PM CDT
It was less that PW+Naphtha isn't useful as much as why prep and target a spell and use a consumable to get less damage than casting a damaging spell (and then still have to ignite it).

The person I tested on stayed lit on fire and just never took any damage - his vit would pulse down to 92 or 93 and then his vit regen would top him back off before the next pulse. Because his Vitality was always full, he never took any wound damage. He may have taken armor damage but if so it wasn't something either of us "felt" in combat.

I have heard others post in the past that body parts have an innate damage reduction amount. Would be interesting to see a part that's on fire lose this damage teduction or have it penalized due to being on fire (beyond the stuff damaged armor would do).

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 12:54 PM CDT

You all make good suggestion but the fact is we have to stand there and take it while doing these things. You didn't improve the defenses skill set for us to balance this. Glass cannons are now just glass pop guns. I didn't mind the lower than average defenses, all but parry are a tert skill so they lag behind, when we had better than average offensive power. But now we have average at best offense and our defenses are still lacking. I'm not saying warmages should be the end all be all of PVP but I'd like to see a little more balance between the magic power nerfed down and the defense skill set. If you make it so it takes us longer to do the same damage, up our defenses some so we can actually stand there and be able to defend against their attacks a little better. I know armor has a lot to do with this but if you don't have the tin can armor skills you're just starting all over from scratch really. I trained a stealthy mage, not easy to begin with. That went out the door with stealth changes and armor changes. You made that harder. Can't hide anymore and am left with the weakest armor as my top armor skill. I don't feel like spending a couple of months to change my armor skill set and just the thought of standing in rats and hogs all day bored as hell just to get started on it makes me want to log out and just say forget it. The game is to screwed up to bother with.
I hope in the future you finally figure out how to balance this guild. Constantly nerfing down our offense is not making the field more even. It just widens the gap for the other guilds unless you improve our defense to compensate. Until then that's a part of the game that as a mage I feel cheated on. I'll admit I have some ridiculously high tert skills that help in PVP (perception being the main one) but if I had what most do at my level I wouldn't stand a chance against a survival prime guild. The only thing I would be able to do is just stand there and get sniped or back stabbed to death. I don't see how you think that brings balance to the game.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 01:26 PM CDT
PvP is very different in combat 3.x. I was frustrated with my WM too until I came to terms with that. You can still be good, but have to learn a different style.

Mazrian

I've come and gone a lot lately so I have not had time to get used to all these changes. So far I see nothing positive.
What would you suggest for a mage that spent his entire life training to be a stealthy mage and has that skill set? That option is gone with the stealth and armor changes.
Standing there in light armor getting beat to death while my spells fail because of stuns isn't very fun to tell the truth.
I'm sure there is some way I can use what skills I have over trained to an advantage but so far I can't find one.
Any suggestions would be helpful and tested. I'm not just here to complain. I relayy loved PVP and really don't want to give up that part of the game. But so far it's just me being a target dummy for the other guilds and there isn't much fun in that.
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 01:29 PM CDT
Yeah, lets not jump from one thing to a dozen things while you're still getting used to how things work currently. And plenty of folks are very successful in Light and Chain armors, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I mean if you really want to throw away all your stealth ranks to train Heavy Plate all of a sudden, that's fine. But, you certainly don't have to be in rats to do it.

You're also getting dangerously close to being rude, and complaint folder or not, I'm not that inclined to let the voice of misunderstanding and ire set the tone for guild direction.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 01:49 PM CDT
> But, you certainly don't have to be in rats to do it.

This.

I switched to chain from being plate only my whole career after the YS changes and hindrance differences became too much for me.

I didn't even step down a hunting area, just kept it up only wearing a new armor. Had no issues.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 02:04 PM CDT
>> why prep and target a spell

Because with TM spells you can just type "target <person/critter>". The "prep" command is not needed.

I

"Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade." ~ Samsaren
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 02:09 PM CDT
Depending on what you're hunting you can probably back train every armor without changing hunting grounds. Use appraise focus to help speed up the experience absorption rate on whatever armor you're backtraining.

Weave right before you cast (or attack).

>when I cast a spell while it's up that spell uses my stored mana

Have you learned any magic feats? https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Magical_Feat

Look at the attunement feats and spell preparation feats specifically.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 02:11 PM CDT
Yes, I am aware.

The question would be better worded as "why cast two spells and add a small damage over time component when you can cast one and do more damage without the wait?"

It doesn't change anything though - you will still do more damage casting a spell that does damage by design than you will casting a spell to apply naphtha as a secondary effect and then casting a second spell or landing a fire damage weapon hit on the body part it hit. You are going to be better served doing a chunk of damage all at once and adding wounds than you are at mildly damaging vitality for a short period and damaging armor.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 02:13 PM CDT
I don't see how I'm being rude. I'm not insulting anyone. If you take this personally that's more on you than be trying to be rude. Just because you don't have answers or solutions doesn't mean I'm attacking you directly. I'm just trying to adapt to a lot of new things. I am told this is the place to ask these questions and for advice. Some things I just don't know like the armor thing. Never changed armors before and starlear just gave me very valuable information on this. Now I know I don't have to start from scratch. Thank you for that. I know there are a lot of full time players. I'm just not one of them. I don't have hours and hours to spend all day on elanthipedia to learn it all. I have very little free time and would much rather spend it playing the game. Sorry if I offended you, that isn't my intention. Maybe I'm just in the wrong place to get the help I'm looking for. Either way I'll take the hint and just stop coming here for them.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 02:13 PM CDT
>>What would you suggest for a mage that spent his entire life training to be a stealthy mage and has that skill set? That option is gone with the stealth and armor changes.

Just curious, but why are you abandoning stealth out of hand? Erixx took rather ruthless advantage of having trained it when he and I used to go 'round.

Samsaren
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 02:22 PM CDT
Stealth really isn't any LESS viable as a WM than it always was, to be fair. We didn't really lose anythjng in 3.0 that would effect it.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:27 PM CDT

The armor changes Starlear. Mainly stealth hindrance. In cloth I went from insignificantly hindered to fairly hindered overnight. That's a pretty big jump. Before, 5 ranks per circle was enough to hide even on survival prime guilds. Now I struggle to hide on warmages lol. RM helps a lot. I'll give them that. Very impressed with it even though it always helps them hide too. My perception skills are unreal due to RP reason and juggling so that isn't really a problem for me. Old friend and I had a contest who could get to the 50 stone jugglies first. Not only was if fun it paid off for sparring too. Now all you need to do is collect rocks and your set with perception. It's insanely easy to train even for survival terts. That's another thing that hurt stealth. Much harder to train hiding than perception now because face it, most people spend more time out of combat than in. Training stealth out of comabt is nearly impossible without a class and perception can be locked easy in both combat (hunt) and non combat (collecting things) situations.

I use RM when I can but running from room to room in spars limits this a bit. It has a pretty long prep time so it's great to set up a room before the spar starts but is severely time consuming to do it during the actual fight itself.

A big thank you to all of you for taking the time to give suggestion and help where you can. I'll try these in the next spar session. Like I said before. To me it's not all about winning. It's doing different things too. Now, thanks to you guys I have some different ways to play with that could be helpful.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:37 PM CDT
>In cloth I went from insignificantly hindered to fairly hindered overnight.

My understanding with that change was that the scale was given more ranges, but the actual numbers didn't change. I don't train stealth though (I was in lolplate before) so I don't know for sure.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:38 PM CDT

@flint-tipped

I have some feats. Just looked at the link. Are you talking about raw channeling? Not 100% sure what it really means. I'm thinking I won't have to harness mana to feed the spell. Am I correct on this assumption? If not could you be kind enough to explain this to me or point me in the direction of the feat you are referring to?

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 03:41 PM CDT
Raw channeling means you don't have to harness, that's correct - it just pulls it directly out of your attunement.

Oh, also from your other post:

>Before, 5 ranks per circle was enough to hide even on survival prime guilds.

I don't think this no longer being the case is as much a product of armor changes as it is that you can now VERY easily keep Perception training in combat without having to juggle or hunt stealth-using creatures. Everyone's got a lot more perception than they used to.

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 04:46 PM CDT
Thanks again Starlear. I'll get that feat.

I agree that the ease of training perception is a big part of it and most likely the biggest factor. As a primary tert guild keeping stealth up pace with it isn't really a viable option anymore. I'll still train it of course. Not going to abandon a skill I put so much time into. It's just not an "edge" in combats like it used to be. It's still a life saver when hunting critters. It's saved my stunned arse more than once ;).

Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 07:22 PM CDT
Dedicated cambrinth feat is also a good one if you haven't learned that. With that feat you can set whether your cambrinth powers cyclic spells or straight cast spells. Between Dedicated Cambrinth and Raw Channeling it's easier to keep your cyclics from stealing your spellcasting mana.

Another option for mage stealth is sorcery (assuming your character doesn't have a problem with sorcery). Shadows + rising mists works fantastically and shadows travels with you.

Meganlique makes some pretty great thin titanese armor if you need to update your cloth armor to eke out a little more stealthiness. I think you should be able to shave your overall stealth hinderance lower.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 08:11 PM CDT
Hey, man.

Find me IG and we'll work for as long as it takes. =)

Mazrian
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 08:27 PM CDT
>>Naptha chat.

Hey, Ricinus! Wanted to share some thoughts on this.

I think the main reason people (ie: I) don't like naptha is it requires a lot of setup. In an even match your opponent is using that time to hurt you. By the time you're ready to ignite you may be disabled, badly injured, they may have pulsed back into inviso, the RNG may not pop in your favor and ignite the naptha, etc. It's too much effort invested in a play that only - maybe - pays off at the end. Maybe if the model were more forgiving and the naptha ignited on just the area it hit, but the burn proc'd without a fire attack having to hit the specific area.

Mazrian
Re: spell slots. 05/21/2015 09:20 PM CDT
I'm not claiming it's a goto method for every PvP encounter or anything. The OP wanted synergy between spells and weapons, and the signature of the posts made this feel like a good thing to suggest. It's not much setup if you're using fiery doom anyways, any Ignited weapon, or any fire damage spell triggers things.

If the person you're fighting is trying to hang back for ranged, RoS at pole is pretty good for getting a free shot on the pull, DB + a weapon hit maybe before they retreat, plus another RoS hit when they retreat. If the target is wanting melee and you can handle toe-to-toe for enough time to fire off another PW or Shockwave to push away, then Rimefang + weapons would be good to get some hits in for the melee time between engagement spells. Otherwise if you're trying to avoid melee entirely, Alternating PW+naphtha pushes, FS, and retreating may work out.

You don't have to use naphtha with a sole intention of immediately getting it to ignite. Using PW in conjunction with other spells to control the engagement with the added bonus of coating someone in enough naphtha to ruin their day if they are hit can work out quite well.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/22/2015 04:38 AM CDT
>>Meganlique makes some pretty great thin titanese armor if you need to update your cloth armor to eke out a little more stealthiness. I think you should be able to shave your overall stealth hinderance lower.

That's not how stealth hinderance works. As long as he is in Light Armor (cloth/bone/leather) then he has the lowest stealth hinderance possible. It doesn't matter if it's Crossing Armor, Titanese, or Diamondhide, it's all the same stealth hinderance.
Re: spell slots. 05/22/2015 02:13 PM CDT

Glad to see im not the only one still noting the problems with Warrior Mage pvp.

All those tactics while unique are ultimately useless if you cannot see your target.

I was wondering why after a spell is tweaked we dont get offered a refund on the slot in case we wanted to get rid of it.

Many more main stream MMO's reset your skill tree's for free after a major reset and adjustment of the game.

Hang in there Saxxin, glad you posted if for nothing other than the info.

Thanks!!
Re: spell slots. 05/22/2015 02:46 PM CDT
>>All those tactics while unique are ultimately useless if you cannot see your target.

Those tactics were specifically mentioned for non-stealth application, because the OP had an abundance of Perception and wasn't mentioning problems vs stealth specifically.

>>I was wondering why after a spell is tweaked we dont get offered a refund on the slot in case we wanted to get rid of it.

Because we already have a refund mechanic in the game that you can use.

>>Many more main stream MMO's reset your skill tree's for free after a major reset and adjustment of the game.

We did this for X3, along with having an entire Testing instance for people to use to get to know the system for months prior to release. And a preview perior that lasted.... for a long time. Since the preview ended, there have been few major changes.

But seriously, this is all way off topic. If you'd like to beat the "I hate stealth" drum, feel free to start a new topic.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/22/2015 03:40 PM CDT
>I cant seem to find any information regarding spell slot refunds and what I have found is from 2007 and 2009.

Throne city has been free for... maybe years. I think we need another old warrior mage teaching night.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: spell slots. 05/22/2015 04:07 PM CDT
>>I cant seem to find any information regarding spell slot refunds and what I have found is from 2007 and 2009.

Go to the Throne City spell library during the daytime and speak to Fleintoore. It's been a while since I've been, but I believe it is currently free to forget as many spells as you like.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Spell_Library
Re: spell slots. 05/31/2015 12:01 AM CDT
I know you're a GM but you are trying to hard to sell PW as a good spell. It's not. Since my last post I have tried in every way to find a real use for this spell. The time it takes to set up is not worth what little damage it does. No matter how you spin it it just isn't risk/reward friendly. I'm not the only one to point this out. If it wasn't a requirement spell I doubt many WM's would even bother to waste the spell slot on it. Not a knock on you personally. Whoever came up with this change just didn't put enough into it to justify the damage that the spell itself inflicted being taken away. It's a targeted spell. It should do some type of damage on it's own IMHO.

Re: spell slots. 05/31/2015 12:24 AM CDT
I'm sorry you haven't had any success. Glancing through your logs for the last few weeks I see you haven't cast the spell at all in a PvP situation, which is what my recommendations were geared toward. I did see that you purchased the one vial of naphtha, so I assume it was useful for your testing. If you want to discuss the matter in more detail, you can email me, since I'm not sure this matter will be of much help to other people reading the forums.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: spell slots. 05/31/2015 05:14 AM CDT
Oh I'm sorry. I failed to mention I used another character. I don't play this one much anymore. I started a new one when I came back and saw all the changes. My mistake. I thought it would be easier to learn the new things with a fresh character starting from scratch. I'll keep using this one for a couple more months and then most likely retire him in favor of the character that is better suited for these changes. I like your moxy though. Never give up.

Prev_page Previous 1