Wonky chain lightning 05/02/2015 09:02 AM CDT

You gesture.
A lurid green bolt of lightning strikes a baby forest gryphon! The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch its abdomen.
The baby forest gryphon is lightly stunned!
A lurid green bolt of lightning strikes a baby forest gryphon! The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch its back.
The baby forest gryphon is lightly stunned!
A lurid green bolt of lightning strikes a baby forest gryphon! The worst of the bolt misses, but tendrils of lightning lash out in passing to scorch its left hind leg.
A lurid green bolt of lightning strikes a fledgling forest gryphon! A fledgling forest gryphon flinches as the bolt grazes its abdomen and scorches the skin.
The forest gryphon is lightly stunned!

Roundtime: 2 sec.

This is pretty much a common thing for me to see , grazing hits on critters ect. a spell that costs me 34 mana seems like it should produce more effect. I have 477 tm and yet, I am grazing hits. Is it just me? I am getting frustrated with WM magic in general and this seems pretty much like the proverbial straw.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 05/02/2015 09:16 AM CDT
CL is one of the weaker spells we have currently, but 477 TM is very low in terms of being able to pump mana into it due to the difficulty of the spell as well.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Wonky chain lightning 05/03/2015 07:53 PM CDT
CL and LB both reserve descriptions of direct hits for limb-destruction levels of wounds, a grazing hit from a bolt of lightning is pretty damaging.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 05/21/2015 01:01 AM CDT

Any spell that is remotely effective is always nerfed. It's like they are trying to weed out this guild by making it useless in PVP. No defenses to speak of, blind as bats and average at best magic. Any spell that gives us a chance against players in the same circle range are nerfed down to useless yet other guilds have at least one thing that gives them at least some sort of advantage against other guilds. It's a shame when a well trained warmage doesn't have a chance against a circle chasing thief that can just hide and back stab him without any threat of being touched. Or for magic tert guilds to be able to out power a magic prime guild. It's time to either up the magic of warmages or nerf the other guilds abilities to even the field.
I find it ridiculous that our debilitation spells are this weak, even weaker than some magic tert guilds debilitation spells and all our damage spells are constantly nerfed down because some magic tert guild thinks it's unfair. What's unfair is we really don't have a prime skill anymore. No advantages. Just a skill we can get TDP's with faster. In PVP we need to rely on secondary and tert skills more than our primary.
If you are not ridiculously over trained you might as well not even bother with PVP.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 01:57 AM CDT
I gave up PVP on the WM, rolled a paladin. They are awesome, magic tert guild with an aoe that makes wm aoe look shameful (which it is at this point).
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 09:49 AM CDT
> I gave up PVP on the WM, rolled a paladin. They are awesome, magic tert guild with an aoe that makes wm aoe look shameful (which it is at this point).

You mean Smite Horde? Shouldn't it be on the same template as chain lightning? All things being equal, a multi-strike TM AOE spell is the same across guilds, except....

1. Warrior mages can learn TM skill at roughly 2x the rate of a paladin.

2. Warrior mages can stack a cyclic TM with a straight cast TM spell.

3. Warrior mages have far more ways to buff their TM/Magic skills than a paladin.

4. Warrior mages can cast far more often than a paladin at more mana due to mana regen.

5. Warrior mages have an easier time picking up feats to further assist casting.

I love paladins as much as the next guy, but claiming they're as good as or better than a warrior mage in AOE TM seems crazy.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 03:49 PM CDT

You mean Smite Horde? Shouldn't it be on the same template as chain lightning? All things being equal, a multi-strike TM AOE spell is the same across guilds, except....

1. Warrior mages can learn TM skill at roughly 2x the rate of a paladin.

TM learning was never in question, believe it or not I do understand the difference between magic prime and magic tert.

2. Warrior mages can stack a cyclic TM with a straight cast TM spell.
*Addressed at bottom

3. Warrior mages have far more ways to buff their TM/Magic skills than a paladin.
1 spell, substrat, which is also on scroll.
4. Warrior mages can cast far more often than a paladin at more mana due to mana regen.
What version of DR are you playing where magic prime and magic tert get different mana regens?
5. Warrior mages have an easier time picking up feats to further assist casting.
pretty sure they all cost the same amount of slots for every guild, warmages start with one free feat

I love paladins as much as the next guy, but claiming they're as good as or better than a warrior mage in AOE TM seems crazy.

*Our spells are nerfed to crap, see the post on Erixx casting on someone with 500 ranks of defenses lower than his TM, then please come back to me and explain how you believe warmage magic is superior.

SMite horde is a true multistrike aoe whereas we have this nerfed down craptastic version of chain lightning that's one hit per target and does crap damage unless the target is woefully outclassed.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 04:03 PM CDT

Pretty sure that attunement ranks are not equal among the tiers, so mana regen difference is there. Pathways are a way of boosting TM ability which Paladin do not have access to. If your paladin is so much better and more fun, hurray? WMs are so much more than just TM spells and combat buffs/debils. If you see no value in the other things that warmages provide, that's on you, but we can tell by your frequent posts that you are not a happy warmage.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 04:09 PM CDT
>>What version of DR are you playing where magic prime and magic tert get different mana regens?

This use to be true, it hasn't been true since around 3.1... sorta. Mana regen is a function of pool size, and magic primes will have larger mana pools than mana terts (Which is why the regen rate was equalized, otherwise terts were being penalized twice), however I recently found a bug that was preventing mana pools from scaling with skill. It'll be fixed once we address some other issues with mana.

Also, the amount of mana you can sense and the efficiency at which you use it is also based on skill set placement.

Long story short - Yes, there's a difference between magic tert and prime, but it's intended to be smaller than 2.1 and due to a bug is currently smaller still.

>>SMite horde is a true multistrike aoe whereas we have this nerfed down craptastic version of chain lightning that's one hit per target and does crap damage unless the target is woefully outclassed.

Chain Lightning is single strike AoE. Warrior Mages do have multiple multistrike AoE spells (As pointed out the last time this thread came round comparing CL to SMH).

I also can't throw a stone around here without someone screaming about how multistrike spells are useless compared to single strike.

They're different. Not strictly better.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 06:01 PM CDT
Please enlighten me to the "many multistrike aoes" we have. I know of RoS, also an underwhelming spell. Not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm just nonplussed with the current state of war mage magic vs pre 3.0. I am looking forward to mana shield,
as this will shore up some of war mage defense issues.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 06:10 PM CDT
Ring of Spears.
Rain of Fire.

I remember there being a third one last time I went through the list but I don't have code access at the moment to confirm which one it is. Shockwave?

Either way, both of the above spells use the same damage template as smite horde.

IIRC you're the only guild aside from Paladins with AoE multistrike right now (TKS aside which I think is bugged again). That's not really intentional, but a quirk of where we're at right now.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/14/2015 06:41 PM CDT
Shockwave would be awesome if it didnt fling things out of the room or if this was optional, i don't like losing future exp or loot to some flavoring of the spell. Which is why I dropped it within a few days of getting it.
Maybe pull the blowing out of the room effect out of the main cast, metaspell it or make it "cast dispurse" or something so you can choose to have it do that effect.

RoS and FR also require (for me anyways) 18+ mana per pulse to get multistrikes on a single target/multiple targets. I currently hunt with it up when training tm. I will play with FR more when I'm hunting in an area i can cast it in.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 12:01 AM CDT
So just did some toying around with Fire Rain in silver leucros, 22 mana cast and it takes 2 pulses to kill them on average.
That's 44 mana for a critter i can just as easily kill with 3 casts of min prep ala. I get that single target single strikes are meant to be stronger i do but c'mon man, the damage is waaaaaaaaaaaay underwhelming.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 05:15 AM CDT
>Ring of Spears.
>Rain of Fire.

>I remember there being a third one last time I went through the list but I don't have code access at the moment to confirm which one it is. Shockwave?

We may need to get a list together of what all the spells are intended to be doing by the GMs and what they're actually doing. For instance, Fire Rain isn't multi-strike. It's hitting with multi-strike damage but it's only ever doing one hit on a target per pulse. Shockwave(4 slot spell) does single strike like CL(2 slot spell) but has the added knockback/knock out of the room.

So RoS is the only functioning multi-strike aoe that WMs have. It sounds like that's not supposed to be intentional.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 07:46 AM CDT

> TM learning was never in question, believe it or not I do understand the difference between magic prime and magic tert.

The higher your TM skill = the more mana you can push into the spell = the more damage you do. Therefore, warrior mages and paladins of equal time in combat will have different damage potentials.

> 3. Warrior mages have far more ways to buff their TM/Magic skills than a paladin.

You're forgetting about pathways. They can buff the damage output, accuracy, power, ease, cast time, and other features.

There are two scrolls they can pick up. Will of the Winter and Substratum which are temporarily or permanently learnable. Paladins require sorcery to make those scrolls work and have no native TM buffs. They have no native TM buff in either their own or the cleric toolkit.

> What version of DR are you playing where magic prime and magic tert get different mana regens?

You're kidding, right?

1. WM have way more attunement than the paladin with equal investment,
2. They have more slots to spend on things like efficient harnessing,
3. And (the most important), magic primes recover attunement more quickly than magic secondaries which recover more quickly than magic terts.

See here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Attunement

> *Our spells are nerfed to crap, see the post on Erixx casting on someone with 500 ranks of defenses lower than his TM, then please come back to me and explain how you believe warmage magic is superior.

My understanding is that buffs are buffs. It's the same across everyone within your SOI.

> pretty sure they all cost the same amount of slots for every guild, warmages start with one free feat

Warrior mages get the TM feat for free. Spell slot progression is based on magic tert/secondary/primary allotments.

* At 20th circle, the WM will have 9 more slots than the paladin.
* By 50th circle, the WM will have 24 more slots than the paladin.

This is where they even out, but the WM will always have more slots than the paladin. That makes it easier to get feats as they have less spells to give up, and they can get them earlier.

> SMite horde is a true multistrike aoe whereas we have this nerfed down craptastic version of chain lightning that's one hit per target and does crap damage unless the target is woefully outclassed.

Fire Rain + CL > SH for AOE TM.

Gar Zeng + Tingle > Smite Foe for single target TM against plate classes.

Either way, damage output is based on many factors.... the spell in question is not one of them. Attributes of the spell are.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 07:51 AM CDT
I have hit a single target multiple times with Fire Rain (I think up to 3 per target). I am ptetty sure our only multi-strike AoE TM spells are FR and RoS. CL and Shockwave are single strike AoE.

Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 07:53 AM CDT
Double post, but I would love it if shockwave did knockdown rather than knock back/out of room. The fact that it removes critters from an area make it pretty crap for hunting.

Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 08:47 AM CDT
Oooh, so it is. I typically had it at 20 for mana reasons but yeah above that I am getting the multi-strike. Huh, learn something new.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 09:55 AM CDT
I have a friend with a 151st circle paladin, he has all the worthwhile feats and all paladin spells and still had slots left over iirc.

Fire Rain at 22 mana was doing 2 strikes per target , taking two pulses to kill something that's i think close to 400 ranks below my tm skill cap. Basically Silver leucros were way outclassed imo by my tm, yet still wasnt getting any spectacular hits.
RoS was doing about the same, killing with two pulses of the spell at 20 mana as this is my cap for it.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 10:25 AM CDT
The spell slot issue was kinda plaguing me for a bit until I sat down and looked at what spells I really didn't want/were underwhelming. Kicking nearly the entire electric line to the curb(save for arc light over tingle for aegis requirements) saved me quite a bit of spell slots. RoS? I already have fire rain for one TM cyclic and use fire ball for TM training. Two elemental transformations seems unnecessary when aegis is so good. If I really need help hitting something I'll just frostbite or something.

I dunno, there's a lot of places to trim the fat when it comes to spell slots simply out of redundancy or those spells just aren't very good. Spell slot management can be a hassle but a WM really doesn't need all those spells.

Coming from 128th WM with more feats than I really need(lol alternate prep) and can still free up five more slots by getting rid of elemental weapons(they're more novelty than anything, just get steel stuff).
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 10:32 AM CDT
Yeah it really is down to preference. I prefer MoF to Aegis myself (+agility and +weapon skill with all weapons fits my playstyle more). The electricity book is really underwhelming (LB is too inaccurate for too little damage even though it is DFA, CL is also underwhelming. Arc Light rules though). Earth book I find underwhelming as well but it has its uses (Stone Shards would be a lot better if the lodged things pulsed appreciable amounts of damage again, even if it capped at a light bleeder or something. RoS is sort of good but I feel Rimefang is more effective even though it isn't multistrike). Water book is good but there just isn't a lot there. Ultimately I say pick one or two single shot spells, one multishot spell, and then just go after spells you want or that are useful. There is enough redundancy in our books that there is no need to get all the spells.

Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 11:06 AM CDT
Speaking of damage, I know TM spells are supposed to really shine in terms of damage output when people are able to cap spells and as Raesh pointed out there's an issue with mana that's supposed to be addressed but I think a real QoL change that would benefit all MUs would be reformatting mana caps for spells.

100 mana cap is incredibly staggering in pretty much all situations. Putting 100 mana into a single TM spell isn't really supported with the current magic system. 2.0 DR that would've been fine for probably one shotting someone but with 3.x cyclics and damage/vitality caps it's not really feasible anymore to expect players to put in that kind of mana investment.

From a non-combat standpoint it's a hassle as well. Since it's hidden at what mana levels I actually cap skill buffs I pretty much always shoot for mana cap just to make sure I have it. Given that the number of buffs have also increased since 2.0 this ends up being a massive amount of time/mana spent spelling up(depending on the situation and not counting ritual this can be anywhere from ~500-800 mana just on buffs).

I'm not sure how much mana/attunement will be changed after the fixes but under current settings I think caps should be adjusted to about half that. 50 mana is still a sizeable investment for a single capped spell but I think it's much more manageable for both pve and pvp situations whether in combat or not.
Re: Wonky chain lightning 06/15/2015 01:50 PM CDT
A couple things on RoS, I took it and Fire Rain as well because you won't always be in situations where you can cast fire rain or it's acceptable by local township. Which is a whole nother can of worms right there. RoS can be used prettymuch everywhere as far as I know.

Now the mana issue, i agree completely. If CL is not going to be tweaked for damage it should be turned down on cost. 32 mana for a min prep when i can do better with an intro spell at min prep as far as kill ratio/time.

solutions. Turn up the damage or turn down the mana cost pretty sensible to me, same with FR and RoS.