Prev_page Previous 1
BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 03:14 AM CDT
I have 750 shield and around 1k evasion. With the khri elusion buff, I have 1200 evasion.

You are under the influence of the Elusion meditation, which should last around 35 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Sagacity meditation, which should last around 3 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Serenity meditation, which should last around 35 roisaen.
You are under the influence of the Sight meditation, which should last around 35 roisaen.

Your shield ability is now set at 90%.
Your evasion ability is now set at 100%.

Erixx makes a sharp overhand slapping motion at you.
You suddenly sense that your defenses have been beaten, and move to minimize the damage.
Your small shield is jerked away by a sudden gale!
The ice-cold wind lands a good strike to your back!
>
You suddenly sense that your defenses have been beaten, and move to minimize the damage.
The ice-cold wind lands a glancing strike to your left arm and screams into the night!
>
The ice-cold wind lands a good hit to your right arm, sending a sharp chill through the area.
>
The ice-cold wind lands a good strike to your chest, sending a sharp chill through the area.

You cringe.
You say, "Wow."

>
The ice-cold wind lands a good hit to your left leg!
>
The ice-cold wind lands a hard hit to your abdomen!
>
The ice-cold wind lands a solid hit to your left leg!
The faint roar emanating from Erixx's forearms suddenly ceases.

Erixx says, "1650 tm."
You say, "I'm at 70 vit."
You say, "Wow."

Your body feels battered.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have some minor abrasions to the right arm, minor swelling and bruising around the left leg compounded by cuts and bruises about the left leg, some tiny scratches to the chest, minor swelling and bruising in the abdomen compounded by cuts and bruises about the abdomen, some tiny scratches to the back.

So... that's already disappointing. With more than 500 ranks of disparity between his TM and my general defenses, he was only able to reduce me by 30 vitality. BG should not be an "I win" button, I agree, but this nerf took it too far. At level, warmages were already unable to touch me with BG, and I had to go way out of my way to get what I would consider a trying fight. Erixx -should- be able to kill me with that much of a rank difference, no matter the spell. With general changes to combat in 3.1, I feel as though BG was never a big enough threat at even ranks to begin with. I only ever really feared it from opponents who I knew were already way stronger than me. We did another test to see if a more practical PVP situation would help. Erixx cast Ice Patch on me and then unleashed the BG barrage. I had the same khri up. These are the results:

You notice Erixx attempting to conceal his spell preparations.
With a few arcane words, Erixx's eyes darken unnaturally to a shade as black as a starless night!
>
Erixx gestures at you.
A sheet of slippery ice forms beneath you!
You slip and fall forward, slamming your face down on the ice.
You are stunned!
SP>
The ice-cold wind lands a good strike to your back and screams into the night!
SP>
The ice-cold wind lands a hard hit to your back and continues to barrel on some distance away!
SP>
A gale bursts harmlessly by you, kicking up dirt and ripping at your clothes.
SP>
The ice-cold wind lands a solid hit to your chest!
SP>
The ice-cold wind lands a solid hit to your right arm!
SP>
The ice-cold wind lands a good strike to your chest!
SP>
The ice-cold wind lands a solid hit to your right eye!
The faint roar emanating from Erixx's forearms suddenly ceases.

You are still stunned.
You say, "Fifty..."
Erixx says, "Yeap."

Your body feels very beat up.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have some tiny scratches to the right arm, minor swelling and bruising in the chest area compounded by cuts and bruises about the chest area, minor swelling and bruising in the back compounded by cuts and bruises about the back, some minor swelling and bruising around the right eye compounded by a black and blue right eye.

This is a little bit over an overkill in terms of a nerf. I was stunned and prone, adding to the already tremendous gap in our skills, and Erixx's BG barrage could only take me down to fifty percent vitality. I can't even imagine what this nerf did to WMs on an even playing field with their opponents, when, with such a difference in ranks, Erixx can come nowhere close to killing me now.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 07:35 AM CDT
Doesn't BG take (what amounts to) a power penalty because it's a 'prepare and wait' spell, which you trigger by doing the YMCA, rather than a traditional prep/tar/cast type damage spell?
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 07:41 AM CDT
>>Erixx can come nowhere close to killing me now.

Unless he casts... 3 spells?

I suppose before the change Erixx could kill you with one cast of BG. But can he kill you with one cast of any other spell? Is BG now better or worse than other spells under the same conditions?

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 10:44 AM CDT
>>Unless he casts... 3 spells?

You know that would make sense if 3.0 was an environment where you could get off 3 tm spells before being dead. This isn't even possible for me on a completely lopsided fight as this one was.

>>I suppose before the change Erixx could kill you with one cast of BG. But can he kill you with one cast of any other spell? Is BG now better or worse than other spells under the same conditions?

And right there is the problem.

1. You don't know.

2. Single target TM is 100% broken by stealth and invisibility, as of right now it does less than any other offensive skill rank for rank. Is this because it's a primary skill thus was hitting harder?

Where is the justification? Why is it that only targeted magic is the only skill in DR now that gains negative returns when training.

Whats great about all this is that a cleric with 200 ranks less tm than my defenses can do more damage to me than I can to him.

A Thief with 3-500 less skills can end the fight before I can get off multiple spells just because #balance.

Rangers fall under the same net as well. Stealth and invisibility completely void targeted magic.

Moon mage rend off all buffs within 20 seconds, lets not forget about SlS.

At level barbs resist the majority of magic as it is, will be even more so after their rewrite.

Clearly this was a PvP focused changed. The problem is you guys don't really care at all about pvp. While it is only a minority of us that do enjoy it, it's become pointless at this point. 3.+ is the most unbalanced and broken version of DR yet. Guild power is directly determined by what the gms deem over powered, not about skill, stats, or strategy anymore.

Why is it that the exact same skill, at the exact same ranks, does infinitely more or less for other guilds? This game has been around for over 20 years now. It's is completely ridiculous that these knee jerk reaction nerfs are still happening. Only since 3.0 have i felt that the more I train, the less useful my skills become. It's clear GM's have their favorite guilds. It's interesting that the 2 guilds Ricinus had a heavy hand in rewriting happen to be the 2 unstoppable guilds in pvp. Yet each WM release is just another slap in the face. Thanks for that. I suppose we all should be thankful about our 10 slot, forced to become a weapon forger, have to buy rare material, summoning skill still useless, neat summoning weapons ability! Yay!

Perhaps actually play the game and see what these changes do for people before you release them, then you can act like you are doing all of us a favor.

- Erixx
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 11:13 AM CDT
>>1. You don't know.

That would be an inaccurate presumption. Sometimes when I ask a question, it's my intention to see if someone is willing to answer it honesty.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 11:35 AM CDT
>>I suppose before the change Erixx could kill you with one cast of BG.

Before the change, it would take four or five slaps of BG to kill me. It felt like even then, it took too long with our disparity in skills because, like I said, I have almost nothing to fear from warmages at the same level as me.

>>But can he kill you with one cast of any other spell? Is BG now better or worse than other spells under the same conditions?

-That- is a very interesting question. His regular spells can take good chunks of my health out, but I still have quite the fighting chance against him, which doesn't make sense, again, given our rank differences. This was after testing with chain lightning and regular lightning, two of the strongest spells in the guild.

What's funny is that when you compare the same results with a cleric that is of an even fight, I can't afford to take any hits. When I fight Uritel, I have to dance a perfect stealth dance or AE will destroy me in three hits. Mind you, this is against someone who is, more or less comparable in skills. I think he has around 1100 TM? 1300 buffed? Not as much of a gap between our ranks, and yet I have more to fear from a spell that has to be targeted than what is, unfortunately, the WM's primary form of attack. WM's don't have a lot of PvP options because every other guild has some kind of fast gimmick that can take them out first before they can lift a finger. Stealth and invisibility guilds speak for themselves, paladins have HoW and Shatter, clerics... have... clerics... while warmages have instant attacks that they -need- to launch when they land their debilitater, or else the tables will never turn in their favor.

Here is a hypothetical PvP situation between two more or less equal parties: both parties have a spell ready, the WM hits first. Ice Patch lands and the opponent is down for... say... 5-7 seconds, not long enough to land a fully targeted TM spell. In that little window of opportunity, the WM can hit with BG, hit with DB, throw a weapon, aim a ranged weapon, yes, all viable and definite options, but, with this BG nerf, in an even fight, the WM may as well not do anything. By the time the TM spell that the WM -can- cast in the situation is ready, their opponent is on their feet. Bam. Counter-debilator. The WM is down for a comparably longer time, given the nature of opening debilitaters like SICK, Havoc, and Sleep.

The same situation doesn't even compare with stealth guilds. All I have to do is not be seen. My first backstab is almost always sure to stun, and I'm not dumb enough to stick around in close combat after that. Rangers can cast HB or BB to take the WM out of commission before they even see them coming. The same with MMs and necros and their respective cyclic TMs.

Is BG the warmie's only viable option? No, of course not. Is it a vital tool that is no longer so? Unfortunately yes. If Erixx only takes me down by 30% vitality with 500 ranks of a difference, it must be even worse against an opponent with equal ranks. I don't even have 100s in all my stats yet, and IP did not last long enough on me for him to cast a scarier targeted spell.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 11:58 AM CDT
>>I have to dance a perfect stealth dance or AE will destroy me in three hits.

And that is why AE is next on the chopping block already. The plan was to give it the same mechanics that BG has, but it didn't work out the way I expected during testing, so I'm holding off to do something a little different.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 12:01 PM CDT
I'm curious - what do you guys as the developers/balance people believe to be an acceptable amount of time for a fight that outmatched to last? And should it be possible for it to go either way?

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 12:14 PM CDT
>>I'm curious - what do you guys as the developers/balance people believe to be an acceptable amount of time for a fight that outmatched to last?

Personally, I'm less concerned with how long the entire fight lasts vs how various spells/abilities compare to each other with regard to costs and damage.

>> And should it be possible for it to go either way?

Possible? Well, depends on how overclassed the situation is, and how effective each participant is with using their ability set.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 12:31 PM CDT
>>And that is why AE is next on the chopping block already. The plan was to give it the same mechanics that BG has, but it didn't work out the way I expected during testing, so I'm holding off to do something a little different.

While that is good to hear, I'm a little worried that it will go the way of BG now, in that it is one of the primary offensive spells that clerics use in every fight. It doesn't always need to be a chopping block. Could it be a chipping block? A lot of spells and abilities could use more chipping than chopping. While that was fun to say, I'd like to know if the BG rewrite could be softened a little. The kind of damage that I received from Erixx is something that I would expect from someone with 100 more offensive ranks than I have defensive ones, not 500. Also, will the barrier rewrites correct some of these balance issues? A lot of WMs are already discouraged from PvPing because their toolset does not compare to other magic primaries, and this change just inhibits the few PvP active WMs even further. I think that, despite them carrying the torch for a while, in terms of PvP viability, they could use a little bit of attention again.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 12:50 PM CDT
AE and BG have slightly different problems. BG isn't targeted, so with the one cast you can direct it toward any target you choose, though without the targeting, the damage and tohit math can suffer. Because the spell is cast once and causes multiple hits, by all rights it should use the formulas of the multi-strike paradigm, because using the single strike numbers gives the caster 6 full powered spells for the price of 1, and that's way off the charts when we look at balance. In practice, without targeting to back it up, the spell ends up being a better tactical spell to use sporadically at the most opportune times to extend an advantage rather than to create one, especially since using it this way would incur no additional RT.

AE is a targeted spell, which I have already tried to scale back numerous times. I reduced the number of bolts. I made the bolts wildly inaccurate when the target leaves the caster's area, even more so if the target was moving quickly. Those changes have still left it as a spell that uses single strike mechanics, and still doing 3 times the damage per cast as any other single strike spell, when the target doesn't flee at least.

>>in that it is one of the primary offensive spells that clerics use in every fight.

By the way, this is generally how we know for certain that a spell is overpowered.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 01:02 PM CDT
>>By the way, this is generally how we know for certain that a spell is overpowered.

Serious question, what spells do we currently have that are working as intended, putting out damage that's acceptable?

What's the definition of acceptable damage at level from the perspective of game balance?

At what variance (very roughly), if ever, we be able to one shot something or someone with a snap cast min prep?

How much higher (very roughly) should something or someone be for us to consistently miss with our optimal setups?

Knowing these things might help clear up some of the concerns of the player-base.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 01:14 PM CDT
Is the aim to give players personal preference in the damaging spells they use?
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 01:27 PM CDT
The issue really comes down to two things - Time, and Standards.

The honest reason people like Erixx are frustrated with TM is because of the raw time required to use MOST spells. With the 3.x change, to get solid damage you need to pour in mana (not a problem by itself), which means using a larger % of prep time/Target time (not a problem by itself). This window of required time becomes an issue, in the case especially of the war mage, because there isn't a good way to create that window solo.

The biggest problem children for the caster in the above situation is of course, survival prime. Prime vs Tert hiding is ALWAYS going to be a major factor in these 'windows of opportunity' situations. Pulsing invso, despite being slowed, is STILL a big factor. Simply, you cannot get that fully targeted spell off with any kind of degree of reliability. In the case of Clerics, as a oft used comparison (due to identical skillsets), the Cleric has the ability to AIM and DEBIL at the same time (via Halo, etc), which is why you see a such success in the use of AE. The Warrior Mage doesn't have a tool for this.

The other area that causes some contention is Standards. Lets be honest, folks always look at the top of the heap and say "Thats the bar". For better or worse, right now, the bar is Eliminate Boosted Backstab (ESPECIALLY w/Alpha Strike). Simply put, the potential damage, especially on a survival tert, is nothing short of amazing. Speaking personally, when I look at the pre-nerf damage of BG, in light of my POV as a caster (meaning, yay stacking barrier nonsense) I'm far far less intimidated by BG then Backstab. BG was less likely to open with a stun, so I'd have a better chance to escape, and with the arms race of DR many folks have tools to avoid one or two debils so even the debil-BG combo wasn't an auto-win.

While I'll be the first to admit BG was rather over the top prior, I'm not sure the current model is right either. In fact, the old damage with a time limiter on attacks (5-6 seconds between pulses) would have gone a long way to giving the BG-ee a chance to respond/react/play the game. I'm also of the mind that this change would have been better served post Barrier Review, as I fear it will have to be re-touched once that ones done.

Samsaren
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 01:36 PM CDT
If the aim is to give all spells 'balance', wouldn't you have to make every spell essentially identical, with the only variance being the type of damage (read slice vs puncture, etc, and fire vs. holy, etc) and the cosmetic appearance of the spell? It seems that every time a guild gets a spell that is even remotely better than what is available to guild X or guild Y, the nerf-sledge gets brought out and the spell goes from being fun to useless, thus leaving a sour taste in the mouths of those who PvP.
Part of the appeal of each guild is their individual strengths and weaknesses, not just the cosmetic aspect. Figuring out how to work within and against those limitations is what makes the game fun, at least for me. Most guilds have something that makes them 'OP' when viewed from the outside, but in my estimation that is mostly just a 'grass is always greener' situation. In my opinion, less time should be devoted to trying to whitewash every guild so they're all equally unimpressive, and more time devoted to the things that players have been asking for for years, i.e. more/different critters, crafting halls, new areas, etc.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 01:52 PM CDT
>>Knowing these things might help clear up some of the concerns of the player-base.

I've posted about as much as I care to say about the subject already. I'm not a fan of spell reviews when they are required, and the idea of doing one on a player's request seems a bit much to me.

>>Is the aim to give players personal preference in the damaging spells they use?

The aim is to not have a couple of spells be so good that everyone feels like they have to have it to compete.

>Backstab backstab backstab backstab

Kindly take backstab complaints to the Thief folders.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:10 PM CDT
>The aim is to not have a couple of spells be so good that everyone feels like they have to have it to compete.

It seems the perception is less that this was the case and more that there was only one viable tool, and now it is unviable.

Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:11 PM CDT
>>The honest reason people like Erixx are frustrated with TM is because of the raw time required to use MOST spells. With the 3.x change, to get solid damage you need to pour in mana (not a problem by itself), which means using a larger % of prep time/Target time (not a problem by itself). This window of required time becomes an issue, in the case especially of the war mage, because there isn't a good way to create that window solo.<<

FWIW I think this is pretty much right. In PvP things happen fast and targets don't stand still - they hide, they change rooms, they disable you, etc. The DPS you can realize, at least with Warmage spells, in PvP, is a less than just looking at the numbers would suggest because it's pretty hard to get anyone to stand still and not kill you long enough to apply them.

I don't think that's a problem you can solve within the TM system, though. Maybe if starting a Target attempt on something guaranteed you could cast that spell whether they hid, ran, etc. Mostly I think the WM spell suite needs some kind of instant lockdown ability, like a BG for debilitation.

Mazrian
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:12 PM CDT
>>I'm not a fan of spell reviews when they are required, and the idea of doing one on a player's request seems a bit much to me.

Then yeah, I gotta agree with Erixx. Without already knowing and being able to speak to the numbers and ranges, why are you nerfing our spells when it appears you're taking away the only decent pvp damage we have?

Please roll back the changes to BG until we have a WM centric GM who knows our spells and can tweak to current game balances.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:13 PM CDT
>>It seems the perception is less that this was the case and more that there was only one viable tool, and now it is unviable.

Yeah.

Mazrian
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:17 PM CDT
>>I'm not a fan of spell reviews when they are required, and the idea of doing one on a player's request seems a bit much to me.

Why? Who better to listen to than players who have been actively struggling with these issues for a while, players who experience the problems firsthand and see what is wrong in the context of regular gameplay? We are customers using your products and offering feedback on what we like and what we don't like and why. The spell review does not necessarily need to take place immediately. Through this thread, I never intended to suggest the impossible. I understand that there are priorities and other concerns and there are many, many players voicing many, many things, but this is something that relates to a common theme when any ability changes occur: PvP is, more often than not, negatively impacted. I understand that changes will always occur at their own pace when GMs are ready to dedicate their attention to the issue, but I want to draw attention to the fact that there -is- an issue, and that it -should- be acknowledged.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:17 PM CDT
>>Then yeah, I gotta agree with Erixx. Without already knowing and being able to speak to the numbers and ranges, why are you nerfing our spells when it appears you're taking away the only decent pvp damage we have?<<

That's too harsh, man. Within the balance framework established BG was out of line. Like...I think we can all take a step back and appreciate that while we all enjoyed it it was pretty OP and on its own merits it needed to change. Nobody did anything wrong in nerfing BG.

However, now that it's gone there is the reality that WMs are kind of meh right now in PvP because some tools are lacking and TM is not a great tool against targets that don't behave like mobs. Hopefully after chewing this over awhile the devs can come up with some creative solutions to help that out.

Mazrian
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:25 PM CDT
>Samsaren
That pretty much sums it all up.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 02:25 PM CDT
>>That's too harsh, man. Within the balance framework established BG was out of line. Like...I think we can all take a step back and appreciate that while we all enjoyed it it was pretty OP and on its own merits it needed to change. Nobody did anything wrong in nerfing BG.

>>However, now that it's gone there is the reality that WMs are kind of meh right now in PvP because some tools are lacking and TM is not a great tool against targets that don't behave like mobs. Hopefully after chewing this over awhile the devs can come up with some creative solutions to help that out.

Yeah looking back that did come out harsher than I intended. Apologies all around. Maybe this change should be in tandem with fixing some of the less than spectacular spells so as to create more of a balance and less of a balancing imbalance?

Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/04/2015 04:40 PM CDT
I don't know if it was overly harsh when that's what we're told we're supposed to work with. BG was extremely strong but it was almost well tuned with how the rest of our TM toolkit mostly doesn't work in PVP situations. Can't snap cast at high amounts or backfire. Take damage and to hit reductions if we do cast early. Stun from any source(damage or debil) can make us completely lose the spell. Any type of line of sight issue(stealth, leaving the room, inviso) makes us lose our target pattern. Mana constraints when working with both keeping a target still and casting damage spells high enough to do reasonable damage. The time(usually lost) in a PVP situation when all these things are factored in. Harshness simply comes from the frustration when we're further penalized under a system that feels as if it's actively working against us at every turn.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 07:28 AM CDT

Wouldn't BG fall into the same type of category as thrown? You are not actively targeting and thus you do not get the added benefit of the target bonus, which is similar to thrown vs bow/crossbow.

Furthermore, are you not able to actively prep (and target) another spell while you have BG going on?
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 04:40 PM CDT
>>Wouldn't BG fall into the same type of category as thrown? You are not actively targeting and thus you do not get the added benefit of the target bonus, which is similar to thrown vs bow/crossbow.

This, unfortunately, is something that had already existed before this nerf. A lot of people are misremembering the situation because their thinking is based on how 3.0 combat existed. At -that- time, yes, BG was kind of a crazy good spell that did equate to 6 fully prepared damaging spell charges. However, since the release of 3.1, where combat changes were overhauled and ranks were tightened, BG became much, much, much less powerful. I'm not sure if it was something changed within the spell's framework at the time, or whether it was just a byproduct from the general combat changes, but BG was, for all intents and purposes, working as intended. The mage had several charges of a spell that hit about as hard as, well, a thrown weapon for TM, if you wanna use that comparison.

Much like how thrown weapons are not as powerful in combat 3.1, BG too suffered that same fate. During even fights with mages who were around my level at that time, such as Artarashai, BG did practically nothing. In fact, I would go so far as to say that an even thief fighting an even warmage at the same level is... likely one of the most one sided fights that could occur. If anything, it feels as though this recent BG change was influenced by what people saw in much higher warmages unleashing havoc on much lower characters. Of course an Erixx or Venistrualis level mage is going to kill people in 4 hits, that's just the rank disparity. I feel as though GMs were not looking at enough data based on equal footing, and were instead focusing on how the situation looked from a lower player's perspective. I would be more than happy to offer my time to help test BG on several levels of adjustment if it could mean bringing some balance back to, what I think, is one of the most interesting spells that a WM has at their disposal.

>>Furthermore, are you not able to actively prep (and target) another spell while you have BG going on?

A WM can have BG up and cast whatever spells they want. That kind of limitation would definitely be too harsh against the WM.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 05:09 PM CDT

>>A WM can have BG up and cast whatever spells they want. That kind of limitation would definitely be too harsh against the WM.

I think that is where both BG and DB excel. Instead of only IP and BG, they can use IP and LB (or any other TM spell) while being able to wave BG whenever they have combat advantage and still be able to throw weapons, melee, or shoot.

Hopefully you can find a competent PVP war mage that's around your skill level to be able to adequately test this.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 05:28 PM CDT
Stupid question: can a WM stack up db/bg/mb/etc. and just point/spit/laugh to victory? Obviously I assume not because this discussion wouldn't be happening. Is the damage too low?
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 07:13 PM CDT

Can a War Mage with 1500+ TM, stack those things up and not kill a thief, just sitting there with defenses in a 1000? Is the question.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 07:36 PM CDT
This thread answered both of those questions. Yes, every combination is too low, on every level of combat now. Stacking BG with DB is a good strategy, but DB also does little damage. It can be combined and supplemented, but the fact is that locking and targeting a TM is the WM's only option of damage at level, and it just can't be done. Their debilitaters lack the same level of power as other guilds, so they can't hold their opponents in the same room long enough, none of their immediate spells pull stealthy fighters out of hiding, and, well, their immediate attack options don't do enough.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 10:28 PM CDT
You can combo all that stuff. With BG feeling underwhelming now though, DB doing an okay amount of damage but being single shot only, and the loading maintenence of MAB, it is definitely a case of "on paper (or let's be honest - against a monster, who won't flee or do anything specific to stop any of that) this is probably super effective but any player with half a brain can shut it down before it is dangerous".

This may be a bit off topic but are there any abilities in DR that work differently in PvP situations than otherwise?

I think a great way to handle some of these wacky balance issues would be to simply have ranks cap somewhere relatively low against other players (like, 200-400) but I am sure lots of the outlying high level folks would be very angry about that and it probably isn't something that will happen or be considered anyway.

Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/05/2015 10:54 PM CDT

Will someone with higher magic than mine do an at level-ish test for me?

find a buddy, buff yourself out, and perform the following sequence.

0) Have DB|BG already "on"

1) fire off a good debilitator - should be successful

2) prep your "best single shot tm spell" capped out to the gills

3) burn your db/bg

4) cast that spell

And share the results please?

Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 06:12 AM CDT
>And share the results please?

What is the buddy supposed to be doing in this scenario?

We already had thief vs. WM in the first few posts (indeed, they started it), and most of the WMs say that the problem is, due to hiding, invisibility, etc., they can't get off a full power TM spell since you have to full prep it.

And they don't have debilitators which can lock down a target for 10 seconds, apparently.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 12:09 PM CDT
>>And share the results please?

Is the target supposed to be simulating an AFK opponent, or is that unintentional?
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 12:11 PM CDT
I'm just curious to the total damage output of the magic sequence

Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 12:36 PM CDT
It's going to depend on a lot of factors, some of which are hidden from the testers. You're not going to get much out of that other than "this seems like, to my subjective interpretation, not much/about right/a lot".

Mazrian
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 12:44 PM CDT

you're right, nevermind.

Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 02:16 PM CDT
Not sure if it's up for discussion, but I thought the ideal BG nerf was just upping the per-strike RT to HT-level seconds rather than reducing the damage. Practically speaking, once cast it's just a TM-based elemental HT in my mind anyway. My fear with BG nerf was that it'd become the throwing blades of TM. It doesn't look like it's that bad, but it really doesn't look all that scary if its current damage is well represented by the OP, in which the target is the squishiest guild in the game.

BG's a really cool, unique spell I'd hate to see WMs stop using in PvP. Bear in mind this is my opinion based on the OP. I haven't done any first hand testing.
Re: BG Nerf Overkill 04/06/2015 02:36 PM CDT
The OP showed a single cast of one spell doing plenty of damage to a overclassed willing target with a damage barrier up. It's not a very interesting scenario.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Prev_page Previous 1