discern 08/25/2014 11:53 PM CDT
I'm not sure if this has been posted before. I was messing around with Discern to see what my max prep on a few of my spells and found this.

sR> discern mof
Long employed in varying forms by many Warrior Mages, the Mantle of Flame spell is one of the rarefied patterns known as Elemental Transformations, carrying with it the limitations of such magic. By invoking a metaphysical manifestation of Fire energy in your body, it will augment your agility and melee accuracy, cause your unarmed blows to burn where they strike, and allow you to see in darkened areas.

This is a ritual spell, which means that it requires a high amount of mana to use. These mana costs can be alleviated somewhat by invoking the proper ritual focus while preparing the spell. It affects yourself. It requires a minimum of two hundred fifty mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of six hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a 50th degree adept. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a guru in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Augmentation skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Aether Cloak. Additionally, you must know one of Fire Ball or Ignite. It will also cost two spell slots.

You don't think you are able to cast this spell.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
sR> discern aeg
Discovered in an ancient cave by Dwarven Warrior Mages, the Aegis of Granite spell is one of the rarefied patterns known as Elemental Transformations, carrying with it the limitations of such magic. By invoking a metaphysical manifestation of Earth energy in your body, it will augment your strength, stamina, and shield usage.

This is a ritual spell, which means that it requires a high amount of mana to use. These mana costs can be alleviated somewhat by invoking the proper ritual focus while preparing the spell. It affects yourself. It requires a minimum of two hundred fifty mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of six hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of a 50th degree adept. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a guru in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Augmentation skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Magnetic Ballista and Aether Cloak. It will also cost two spell slots.

You don't think you are able to cast this spell.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

While I'm fairly certain its because yes I can't cast it without the help of the foci item, there still should be a number that tells me.. my second question I'm not sure is a bug but I discerned ETF 5 times and got 5 different results and they were all you think.. not certain. so is there a skill check that more accurately informs me on what my max prep is and if so what skill I would of assumed arcana, a follow up question to that is what kind of skill do I need for my discern to be certain? I have over 700 in all magics and find it funny that I can't accurately figure my max prep out.
Re: discern 08/26/2014 12:28 AM CDT
There's a few things going on here.

1. If your Arcana skill is lower than the spell's specific skill ((e.g. Augmentation) then discern is less accurate.
2. There's a built in randomness in the result even if Arcana is high enough so that the number you see will vary slightly each attempt.
3. Most importantly, you receive a bonus to cap from your primary magic skill (e.g. Elemantal Magic) but discern doesn't account for this. This means that the number you see is representative of what your cap would be taking only the specific skill into account.

Hopefully enough people keep posting about this that it moves up the priority list of things to adjust. There's usually at least one or two people a week asking about this.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: discern 08/26/2014 01:16 AM CDT
Discern is great except when it's wildly inaccurate.