I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 10:59 AM CST
Howcome new AC can't do what old AC did? Why not protect us from magical scrying? Keep us from being located? Keep other mages from percieving familiars? Keep people from joining our group via STALK?

Was held mana that much more powerful over cyclic that the new version has to be so.....less?
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 11:23 AM CST
New AC is way better than old AC at its intended function. The anti scrying and anti percieve were removed intentionally. Old AC never did anything to stop stalking. Finally, they also fixed AC to change your eyes again, as it had been broken for some time.

IMO, reflected full power spells > anonymity.

- Starlear -
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 11:58 AM CST
Anonymity is such a bizarre and niche use compared to actual spell reflection. What are you doing that you need it?

Pants.
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 01:24 PM CST
Under the new spell design paradigm, roughly each effect that a spell can achieve has a spell slot cost associated with it. Likely, the cost of such a spell (current AC with anti-scrying added) would be prohibitive. It would make more sense at this point to request an anti-scrying spell on its own.

GENT
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 02:21 PM CST
i believe they mentioned at one point anti-scrything might be a feat or spell.

Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 02:28 PM CST
New AC is better than pants with pockets.

>>reflected full power spells > anonymity.

A shadowy black death spirit says, "Give us the annoying one, and the rest of you shall live."
* Mudge was just struck down!
The cackling continues. "The Darkness is pleased with your sacrifice."
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 04:02 PM CST

I miss the functionality as well, especially for CvC conflicts and spars vs MM's (prevented locates and riftal summons).

A meta spell might be neat to add it to AC, or rewrite static discharge as a anti-scry/teleport/locate/hide familiars utility spell?
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 04:29 PM CST

>>reflected full power spells > anonymity.

Except, you can't cast spells on someone you can't find. I'd much prefer anti-scry over cyclic TM spell reflection.

1) You have to give up your cyclic TM slot
2) There is other ways to combat TM spells, e.g., veil of ice, sorcery spells, etc.
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 05:09 PM CST
>>Except, you can't cast spells on someone you can't find.

Some of us don't want to run and hide. New AC > old IMO; I've reflected a lot more TM spells since 3.0 came out than I've upset moon mages.
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 05:36 PM CST
All of the "instead" stuff you listed can also be stacked on top of AC.

As for cyclic TM, I usually find it unnecessary (and honestly I find WM cyclic TM sort of lackluster). Being essentially immune to spells, even if you get disabled in some way is a sweeter deal IMO.

- Starlear -
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 06:02 PM CST
>> All of the "instead" stuff you listed can also be stacked on top of AC.

I said two things.

1) You have to give up your cyclic TM slot
2) There is other ways to combat TM spells, e.g., veil of ice, sorcery spells, etc.

#1 cannot stack with AC.

And yes, clearly #2 can stack on top of AC, but that is silly. If you have AC, why would you stack a TM spell blocker?

>> As for cyclic TM, I usually find it unnecessary (and honestly I find WM cyclic TM sort of lackluster).

... What? How much PvP do you do? Anything that can be used to reduce vitality is amazing when combined with other attacks.

You can disable/dispel/targeted TM while cyclic TM spells are chipping away at your opponents life.
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/20/2013 06:12 PM CST
I pvp a good amount.

I've found more effective things to do than to whittle away at vitality with fire rain. I'm not saying it's totally worthless, I'm saying that against someone else who is a caster, I find AC infinitely more valuable. FR and RoS obviously have their place, but for my playstyle and general strategy, they don't really have much of a place in my anti-caster arsenal.

I find that, with DB and AC up, disabler -> full target PW with a bottle of naphtha -> release AC + cast + spit macro -> AC back up is more effective by a large margin than anything else I've tried against other casters in an actual combat situation.

Naphtha. The way of the future! Embrace it. Love it.

- Starlear -
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/24/2013 09:51 AM CST
>>Old AC never did anything to stop stalking.

Hi, here's where you're wrong. If someone had AC up, stalking them would work like this...

"You work your way towards XYZ to follow them silently..."

6 seconds or so pass.

"You have lost your mark"

You could not stalk join someone's group if they had AC up. Doesn't matter if they stayed in the room, or moved away, your stalk would always fail.
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/24/2013 10:07 AM CST
Weird...I had been stalk joined plenty with AC up in 2.0. Maybe a bug that was eventually fixed?

- Starlear -
Re: I miss old aether cloak. 02/26/2013 08:52 AM CST
Bug or not, I myself thought it fit the 'slightly out of phase with reality since covered in aether and unable to be located magically' theme the spell seemed to have for a while. I'd say 'maybe it covered your tracks somehow' but hilariously, I remember that even if you couldn't be located via locate or a familiar, a ranger companion could locate you, and a ranger could then track down the companion even with it up, so maybe it wasn't intended to be anti-physical-stalking, just magic stuff.

....then again, -I- remember when the spell used to drain 15% of your spirit upon casting. I even had much fun revolving around that particular aspect of the spell, until it vanished, along the same time it stopped coloring your eyes (which also left, came back, left, came back, then left again. Perhaps this stalking thing was also one of those on off on off on off features)

~T