Can't lose what you never had? 03/22/2010 04:31 PM CDT
So I'm irrationally venting but: Is 'unrealized promises' one of the defining statements for the WM guild in DR's design bible?

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=26&topic=8&message=1454

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Can't lose what you never had? 03/22/2010 05:29 PM CDT
The current management frowns on game situations that require permanently maiming PCs. The options are to either soften up Blackfire into some mockery of the concept ("Blackfire is a +5 damage mod!"), or keep it pure but largely out of PC hands.

I have killed Blackfire to save Blackfire.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Can't lose what you never had? 03/22/2010 08:57 PM CDT
I'd like to second ROBERTDH's disappointment.

Armifer, do you think you could share, briefly, how nasty the blackfire system would have been for us?

I'm not sure what WM sorcery would consist of in the absence of blackfire, but I was knocking around in Muspar'i today completing my quest to level with every guild leader and I played with some of the relics up there. Pretty frickin sweet.

I wonder if non-cannonical use of elemental magic would fall under the heading of sorcery. There are a lot of wonderfully strange things in that guild that just scream with untapped potential, the Staff-Sword of Uursoth among others.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Can't lose what you never had? 03/22/2010 09:10 PM CDT
>Armifer, do you think you could share, briefly, how nasty the blackfire system would have been for us?<

If you were seen using it you would lose the spell, and the spell slot, permanently. There was more, too.

However, Blackfire is one of those things that quite simply cannot live up to the hype it was made out to be. It's much better to make a sorcery book that isn't going to just leave a bitter taste in the mouth of everyone involved.

-Z