Flashpoint 03/10/2010 03:27 PM CST
Why I get 5 sec RT to be a janitor? Why you do this?
Re: Flashpoint 03/10/2010 03:31 PM CST
Prevent abuse

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Flashpoint 03/10/2010 03:54 PM CST
Explain..further details needed
Re: Flashpoint 03/10/2010 07:26 PM CST
Forage stick, FP
Forage stick, FP

Ie, a cantrip becomes the compost spell.

Also, it lets you get rid of things compost can't. Making it better than the compost spell.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
Re: Flashpoint 03/10/2010 07:27 PM CST
Which is somewhat moot considering we have shockwave.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
Re: Flashpoint 03/10/2010 11:52 PM CST
We also have familiars, which excepting Fir will eat everything you can forage.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 12:32 AM CST
I can see the need with flashpoint although the RT could be reduced to 2 or 3 seconds. However I do feel that the roundtime for dismantling boxes needs to drop down to 1-2 seconds. We're helping reduce the drain on system resources, give us a break!

By the way, does anyone else remember the days when there were piles of empty boxes lying around all over Crossing? I hated that so much. I would often pick them up and feed them to the gelapod.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 01:18 AM CST
I would like to see RT scale with skill on disarm and Flashpoint. I don't like tasks that take as long at 10 ranks as at 500 ranks.

Just curious about a compromise. In return for Flashpoint dropping in RT, would anyone mind a limit on casts per unit time? Say 2 seconds to cast and 1 cast per minute?
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 02:27 AM CST
I don't see any point in restricting it to 1 cast per minute.

Along the lines of reducing RT, I would also like to be able to harness mana in under 3 seconds and have it be a magic prime perk.

Oh and while I'm thinking about harnessing mana, why can everyone "see" us harness mana? I understand the basis for others noticing it, it's a mental exercise and so we do concentrate to do it. However, you would think that after gaining 1000 ranks in harness we could do it without others noticing the effort on our part. No I don't think 1000 harness should be when people stop noticing us. I also don't think it should be a perception check.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 07:49 AM CST
Care less about abuse,take it away from the abuser,like Snipe can be,its probably consent destroying someones goodie.2 second I can live with.At 5 seconds i dont bother anymore with the 10 mortars,8 junilar stems,the orange blue gamantang,4 lead slugs,3 lead ropes,5 grimy pestles and 3 bars of soap anymore,thats not even countign the stuff in the junk pile heh
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 07:50 AM CST
How would you abuse Flashpoint in a way a roundtime could prevent?

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 07:58 AM CST
I assume Flashpoint has a RT because stuff like that generally does.

I could see making it shorter though. 2 seconds instead of 5.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 08:23 AM CST
>> How would you abuse Flashpoint in a way a roundtime could prevent

Only thing i can think of is destroying someones items.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 08:26 AM CST
>>Only thing i can think of is destroying someones items.

A roundtime wouldn't prevent this though.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 09:48 AM CST
>>A roundtime wouldn't prevent this though.

It would slow them down i guess.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 09:49 AM CST
But i don't really think that's why they have the RT, it's just a drawback to having this ability.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 10:01 AM CST
>>It would slow them down i guess.

It would allow for instant retaliation but the item is destroyed instantly.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 11:03 AM CST
Valuable items can't be destroyed.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 11:07 AM CST
Oh yeah...

Isn't there a really low value cap on flashpoint?

I remember discovering this when I tried to get a warmie to flashpoint a bottle of naphtha and he said it was worth too much when he tried.

Rev. Reene

>poke eyes
You can't poke the Eyes of the Thirteen.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 11:12 AM CST
>Valuable items can't be destroyed.

Yes, but appraisal price isn't a good indicator of actual value.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 11:17 AM CST
Few gold cap and sometimes it doesn't work on magic stuff.
Vials can be flashpointed. They changed some things about nap fairly recently though.

You glance down to see a severed thumb in your right hand and a severed thumb in your left hand.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 11:19 AM CST
Vials can be, bottles can't.

I was hoping it would accidentally the whole warmage.

Rev. Reene

>poke eyes
You can't poke the Eyes of the Thirteen.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 11:45 AM CST
Avaya, remind me later and we'll see if you can Flashpoint a capped silverwood short bow, or a capped basilisk arrow. I'd consider both of those valuable. At least in prime where people charge for that sort of thing.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 05:12 PM CST
The only reason for the RT really is to stop you from trying to get rid of a bunch of one type of item and then you run into one you don't want to get rid of. Lets say bundles of bolts, arrows, and your mindlessly chaining through it until you get to your ultra rare kertig tipped arrows, coated in tiero's blood that you don't want to fry. Two seconds would be too short to stop that, three might be perfect.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 08:09 PM CST
Good thinking there Worrclan.
Re: Flashpoint 03/12/2010 10:53 PM CST
I miss my tiero blood coated arrows..

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Flashpoint 04/11/2010 04:16 AM CDT
>>Only thing i can think of is destroying someones items.

>>A roundtime wouldn't prevent this though.

You're on the right track.

Whenever Flashpoint destroys an non-junk item (someone else's equipment, for example), the cantrip takes a 'picture' of what the item is so that, if someone cries abuse, we can (at our option) restore the destroyed item to the rightful owner (and, incidentally, remove cantrip casting ability from the transgressor).

Taking the snapshot of the item can be very resource intensive, so I wanted to make sure someone couldn't just do it over and over and crash the game.

After playing around with different roundtimes (including some as high as 10 seconds), I settled on 5 seconds as a decent balance between playability and resource friendliness.

Hope that clears things up a bit!

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Flashpoint 04/11/2010 02:11 PM CDT
Would it be possible to have the cantrip give lower roundtime for junk items and 5 or even more for the non-junk items that it needs to take a snapshot of?
Re: Flashpoint 04/11/2010 03:04 PM CDT
One persons junk could be anothers treasure..who knows!
Re: Flashpoint 04/11/2010 08:29 PM CDT
>>Would it be possible to have the cantrip give lower roundtime for junk items and 5 or even more for the non-junk items that it needs to take a snapshot of?

That's a possibility.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Flashpoint 04/11/2010 11:10 PM CDT
How about something like a white list for items?

Suggestions:
Grass
Ropes
Anything else made by braiding grass
Re: Flashpoint 04/11/2010 11:32 PM CDT
If the roundtime can be lower than dismantling (which I also think needs lowered roundtime), boxes would be great.
Re: Flashpoint 04/12/2010 07:38 AM CDT
How about just deal with the 5 sec rt or use a bucket?
Re: Flashpoint 04/12/2010 08:01 PM CDT
>>How about just deal with the 5 sec rt or use a bucket?

1) Because all those 5 second RTs give me a lot of time to post about shortening the RT.
2) Please see previous threads for discussions about a new bucket SE of the Crossings War Mage Guild. It would take an increase to a 10 second RT for me to want to slam my head against that wall again.

(Here is a fun data mining project, how many times a day was Flashpoint cast before the Mana Storm vs after the Mana Storm?)
Re: Flashpoint 04/12/2010 09:36 PM CDT
<<How about just deal with the 5 sec rt or use a bucket?

Buckets aren't everywhere. Wythor specifically said that the roundtime is 5 seconds to prevent people from abusing the cantrip to destroy other people's stuff. He also said that every time someone uses the cantrip, it will take a snapshot of the item destroyed if it's not a junk item.

Obviously, if it already tracks what is junk and what isn't, the higher roundtime can be applied to those items and a lower roundtime to junk. In the end, the main function of the cantrip is to help keep the realms clean to reduce lag. Why not make it more friendly for this purpose?

Lately I find myself just dropping stuff and doing a "dump junk" before I walk away because I don't feel like dealing with the roundtime of flashpoint.
Re: Flashpoint 04/21/2010 07:29 PM CDT
>>Please see previous threads for discussions about a new bucket SE of the Crossings War Mage Guild. It would take an increase to a 10 second RT for me to want to slam my head against that wall again.

There is a really simple solution to this. I propose that the GM's simply swap the Elemental mana in the room one south of the WM Guild with the bucketed room outside the WM Guild. That way the overall all balance of mana in elanthia is not affected, plus system resources are saved by drastically reducing the number of flashpoints currently being cast due to the absence of a bucket. Also, everyone can return to their favorite bucketed room outside the WM Guild, which hasn't been used since the mana storm.
Re: Flashpoint 04/21/2010 10:22 PM CDT
>>>>Please see previous threads for discussions about a new bucket SE of the Crossings War Mage Guild. It would take an increase to a 10 second RT for me to want to slam my head against that wall again.

>>There is a really simple solution to this. I propose that the GM's simply swap the Elemental mana in the room one south of the WM Guild with the bucketed room outside the WM Guild. That way the overall all balance of mana in elanthia is not affected, plus system resources are saved by drastically reducing the number of flashpoints currently being cast due to the absence of a bucket. Also, everyone can return to their favorite bucketed room outside the WM Guild, which hasn't been used since the mana storm.

I could go into this, rehashing the old arguments, relating the empty silence from the GM's on this topic, referring to GM posts of how they aren't going to change anything, perhaps add in some of the safe room stuff that inevitably follows this line of discussion (NOTE: I DON'T WANT A SAFE ROOM, I WANT A BUCKET+MANA+WARMAGES!).... Instead I think I'll just ::facepalm::
Re: Flashpoint *nudge* 04/22/2010 06:09 AM CDT
Please keep this a constructive discussion of flashpoint or take it to the equine cemetery.

Wordan
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Wordan@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net