A few cantrip ideas 02/29/2008 04:31 PM CST
I thought I'd give a shot at filling in some of the holes in our cantrips. The biggest one seems to be for a second tier fire cantrip.

Dance of Flames
The dance of flames cantrip 'emboldens' a fire in an attempt to attract the gaze of those around it. With this cantrip, a normal fire/torch will crackle and 'dance' (with messaging indicating its captivating nature). This cantrip will additionally transfer to the fire the glow of any pattern hues color on the casting mage (in a similar outlining nature as it does for fire spells, and not actually changing its color). Looking into the fire may also yield interesting messaging.

Finally, as this cantrip deals with the enhancement of fire (in a similar way that reinforce stone and crystallize ice affect their books), any fire this is cast upon will have added duration (and if cast in the forge, will increase the fire strength and duration a bit without needing to resort to using the bellows).

For a third tier earth cantrip:
Craftsman*'*s Sight
This cantrip allows a mage to see properties of matter otherwise unavailable. While the cantrip will be limited by the mage's own appraisal skill, it will allow him/her to determine at a glance the density and volume of a forged product. With sufficient appraisal skill, the mage may additionally be able to determine the chemical composition of a product (from a vague 'this is made of metal' to potentially the exact mix of a forged item).

[As an aside, this could potentially be a very powerful ability, but I'm banking on the new creation system's concept of not everyone can master everything even if you know the mixes without having your character specialize in that area anyway, thus the individual mixes will be of less value and thus capable of being given within this cantrip]. This cantrip may also have additional benefits in other creation systems with regards to determining quality otherwise unseen (for example, being able to see the hidden faults in your material as you try to carve an arrow shaft thus being able to tell more precisely how you are progressing in the craft).

For the most part, this cantrip isn't intended to give a whole lot of additional information to the mage other than what could be determined already from something like MAMA's and the appropriate volume containers. Occasionally it will give some additional useful information, but it would mainly be to help along in a process rather than reveal all the secrets of a given craftsperson (however that may end up manifesting).

Another third tier earth cantrip:
Craftsman*'*s Mind
This cantrip allows the mage to use their mind/magic as a tool for any given craft. No more lugging around shapers, carving knives, or whatever other crafting tool may be needed. Instead, with the insight of an elementalist, the mage is capable of directly shaping the material with his/her mind in the fashion that the tool would. Mechanically speaking, this cantrip could just create an invisible object in the mage's hand (thus requires hands to be free). This object would not be seen by the mage because for in game terms, the mage is really using their mind as the tool.

However, this object would be capable of performing the task of any crafting tool (whether it be a shaper, carving knife, or if a hammer is required for the new forging). This only extends to relatively common crafting tools (for example if enchanting required some rare ingredients, this would not replace those, but may replace a common enchanting tool one could otherwise purchase in the store).

Third tier air cantrip:
Levitate
This cantrip would cause any object gestured at to lift off the ground, giving it the wording after its name of 'which is floating slightly off the ground'. So if you cast this on a carving knife, everyone would then see 'You also see: a carving knife which is floating slightly off the ground, etc'. The item in question would then be eligible for a few additional verbs (with regards to making it bob around in the air by messing with it with whatever verb would cause that, and potentially tapping it to have it slide into the next room).

This would work on dead bodies as well to assist in dragging. However, the weight of the object that the mage can lift is directly tied to that mage's PM skill. With sufficient PM skill or sufficiently light an object, the mage will succeed in levitating that object. This levitation is almost entirely cosmetic and would not interfere with any other normal operations (the movement of the air is such that it mimics solid ground for most activities and no changes to any messaging are required except for those special cases directly related to the cantrip). Casting the cantrip again cancels the effect.

If a mage is sufficiently skilled to lift himself/herself and all of his/her items, then they are granted the flying carpet effect of traveling multiple rooms at a time. Any movement from room to room by the mage will come with added entrance/exit messaging. Attempting to go DOWN cancels the multi-room travel effect but still leaves the mage floating until the cantrip wears off (or is cast again). This may allow for more precision in movement when the mage just wants to show off with some added entrance/exit messaging without having to travel multiple rooms.

Third tier water cantrip:
I'm not really sure where to go with this one. I thought about having it saturate the ground such that spells that reacted with wet rooms would be affected, but I can't see that being all that desirable. Something like water purification that would cancel the effects of water in a room perhaps? I thought perhaps a spring of water could burst forth doing something, but I couldn't think of anything it could do that would warrant it being a third tier cantrip (at most it'd probably just be messaging). The only other thing I could think of would be to possibly switch rainfall to snowfall and create a snowdrift so people could have a snowball fight (although the water globe cantrip can now be dropped and have a similar effect if people want to have a water fight). Hopefully someone can come up with something a little better than this, cause I'm currently drawing a blank.

Third tier electricity cantrip:
Again, I'm not coming up with too many ideas for this element. I do know that I'd prefer it to not be yet another annoyance based cantrip. The first two electricity cantrips are basically just there to annoy/play a prank on people. While they can occasionally be fun, I'd prefer this book not be 100% just going around shocking people.

Hopefully this will get some people brainstorming.

-Gandoloth