Electric Charge 07/18/2003 09:46 AM CDT
How do you get electric charge to recharge the static buildup on an ethereal shield?
-Durnil-
Re: Electric Charge 07/18/2003 09:59 AM CDT
I was wondering that too. I can discharge it...and then if I cast it again, all it does it make my hair get frizzy...

Oh...okay, so we make our hair frizzy...can't that reflect in the character look? It always seemed an inconsistancy. Also, can burning touch please burn burnable things? Like paper, cloth, etc?

Myth's Player
Re: Electric Charge 07/18/2003 03:32 PM CDT
<<I was wondering that too. I can discharge it...and then if I cast it again, all it does it make my hair get frizzy...>>

Maybe if you cast SD, the cantrip will replace the charge. I don't have SD or i'd test it myself, just a guess.

-Accipam
Re: Electric Charge 07/18/2003 03:38 PM CDT
If you use the cantrip on yourself a third time it recharges it. So it's a loop of 3 things it does.

Beliel
Re: Electric Charge 07/18/2003 07:02 PM CDT
It's not three, I know that much. It seems like a time delay. I discharged it using my cantrip, and it took about ten seconds to be able to recharge it. However, after a static discharge, the recharge is instantaneous.
Re: Electric Charge 07/19/2003 10:39 PM CDT
Aye, it's a time delay.. not sure how long though. Interesting changes with the cantrips.. I was wondering what has been discovered so far. I like the fact that the spheres take into account their.. nothing weight and thus are easier to juggle.. but I kinda wish the delay wasn't so long before you could do it again, being that they teach next to nil anyway if your skill is high enough. Anyone discover anything else with those?

Warrior Mage Newtrini Pi'Gui

-Don't spawn your score of mortal progeny in MY footsteps!
Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/10/2005 01:59 PM CST
The behavior of the electric charge cantrip when used to discharge another person's ES is very erractic, sometimes discharging it and most of the time just making their hair stand on end... seems buggy. Wouldn't matter too much but we can't cast Static Discharge in a no-combat room.

Also, if it is possible the cantrip could be extended so you can discharge the shield of everyone in your group all at once... "gesture group" or something that would be even better <envisions hordes of people "joining up for es" ala courage>.

See what everyone's saying about you - http://www.freepgs.com/drsearch
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/10/2005 02:25 PM CST
<<The behavior of the electric charge cantrip when used to discharge another person's ES is very erractic, sometimes discharging it and most of the time just making their hair stand on end... seems buggy. Wouldn't matter too much but we can't cast Static Discharge in a no-combat room.

Not a bug, but a design feature. It doesn't matter whether it is on someone else or on yourself. There is a slight downtime (about 30 sec) between the effectiveness of casting the cantrip.

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/11/2005 01:26 AM CST
>Not a bug, but a design feature.

Ah. That's why I said seems... :(

See what everyone's saying about you - http://www.freepgs.com/drsearch
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/11/2005 05:45 AM CST
To build on what Trebber said, I believe that the purpose of this was so that somebody couldn't go into a room, spam the cantrip on everybody, and CL them to death.

-Durnil
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/12/2005 03:23 PM CST
To build on what Trebber said, I believe that the purpose of this was so that somebody couldn't go into a room, spam the cantrip on everybody, and CL them to death.

-Durnil <--

Since I dont do the electrical list I'm confused. Are you saying that when your ES is discharged my that cantrip that if someone casts CL that your going to get blasted? Where as if your ES isn't discharged you wont?

Jim, figures I should learn how the other elements work in the game.

Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/12/2005 04:11 PM CST
<<Since I dont do the electrical list I'm confused. Are you saying that when your ES is discharged my that cantrip that if someone casts CL that your going to get blasted? Where as if your ES isn't discharged you wont?

Hmmm, I believe the answer is this ...

To protect oneself from chain lightning, all they need is a discharged shield. To remedy this, you need them to have a charged shield. You can either a) recast ES on them or b) hit them with the electrical cantrip. If there was no timer/downtime in the cantrip, then you could walk in, rapid fire the cantrip on everyone to recharge their ES and then cast CL. With the downtime, you will now need to recast ES on everyone (a sly way of doing this is to walk in with a max ES already prepped, grab everyone's hands and then cast). Now, regardless of them having a discharged shield prior to you showing up, they now all have a charged one on. But you will need to overcome magic resistance for this.

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/12/2005 04:56 PM CST
To protect oneself from chain lightning, all they need is a discharged shield. To remedy this, you need them to have a charged shield. You can either a) recast ES on them or b) hit them with the electrical cantrip. If there was no timer/downtime in the cantrip, then you could walk in, rapid fire the cantrip on everyone to recharge their ES and then cast CL. With the downtime, you will now need to recast ES on everyone (a sly way of doing this is to walk in with a max ES already prepped, grab everyone's hands and then cast). Now, regardless of them having a discharged shield prior to you showing up, they now all have a charged one on. But you will need to overcome magic resistance for this.

Trebber <--

Wow, I had no idea. Wow. Hmm sounds like I should learn some electrical spells so I can discharge my own ES. Should be an ability of a Aether Manipulation spell or cantrip if you ask me. Since Ethereal Shield is a Aether spell.

Thanks for the heads up Trebber, since I don't do electrical spells and haven't been in many pvp situations with warrior mages, i had no idea.

Jim
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip + Discharging ES on other people 12/12/2005 05:45 PM CST
Static discharge, the effect of which the cantrip mimics on a minor level, is electricity.

Orpheus: "You've been powering this machine with a forsaken child?"
Venture: "What? It's not like I used the whole thing."
Electric Charge 07/20/2006 09:18 PM CDT
Can the timer for discharging an ES with this cantrip be removed? For the people who don't know what I'm talking about, cast ES on yourself and someone else. Discharge yourself using the cantrip and immediately afterwards try discharging the other person's ES. You will not discharge their ES from that attempt. Instead you will just shock them.
Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/05/2010 02:58 PM CDT
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I haven't seen anything posted in the folder, so I thought I'd bring it up.

I recently learned Static Discharge so I've been playing around with the Electric Charge cantrip more, since it is advertised to quickly recharge a discharged Ethereal Shield. However, what I've noticed is that the EC cantrip does not always successfully recharge my ES on the first try. Sometimes after casting SD, it takes me three, four, sometimes fives times of using Electric Charge before it restores the charge on my ES. At that rate, its faster for me to just "Prep ES 1" and snap cast it, rather than deal with the hassle of EC not recharging the shield consistently.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it intentional or a bug?

On a side note, I've also noticed that EC does not always remove the charge on an ES on the first try either, which resulted in some adventurers being electrocuted (myself included) by a high level WM's Chain lightning, who thought they were safe.
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/05/2010 03:12 PM CDT
Yes I've noticed the E C cantrip doesn't always discharge an ES, both on myself and other players. I haven't tried using the cantrip to recharge ES.
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/05/2010 03:44 PM CDT
There is a reuse timer on the electric charge cantrip. I'm not sure what it is exactly since I don't really use it anymore. From what I recall though, it's around 30 seconds.
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/05/2010 03:51 PM CDT
Might be a PM contest, there. A few of the cantrips scale like that.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/06/2010 12:35 AM CDT
It has a timer between uses. It is not possible to chain use EC to keep recharging your shield. Since it's a cantrip it was decided it should have that limitation since it's a no cost ability. You can always just use static discharge or cast another ES while the timer is in effect.
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/06/2010 02:48 PM CDT
>>It has a timer between uses. It is not possible to chain use EC to keep recharging your shield. Since it's a cantrip it was decided it should have that limitation since it's a no cost ability. You can always just use static discharge or cast another ES while the timer is in effect.

If this is true, then that takes the EC cantrip from 'somewhat useful' to 'too unreliable to use' in my eyes. If I'm in combat or PvP, I can't rely on an ability that only works once in a while because a second or two can be the difference between me stunning my foe or them stunning (and killing) me.

Could the GM's take a look at removing this timer or perhaps adding a short (one or two second) roundtime in exchange for the EC cantrip being successful everytime? SD is the Warrior Mages' only pure Stun spell, and IIRC, of all the guilds with stun spells, we are the only one who has to use another spell or ability everytime just to be able to use that stun spell.

In my mind, one of the spells that frustrates me the most is the Paladin's 'Stun Foe' spell. I think it outclasses SD in almost every way, especially in PvP. It can be cast from missile or pole, and it has no reuse timer or additional spell or ability that must be activated each time like SD has. (What I mean is that ES or EC must be used every time SD is used, but EC doesn't seem to work most of the time.) Paladins are ridiculous at PVP because they can just Chain Stun you over and over with Stun Foe (and Halt) since there is no reuse timer while you helplessly watch them pummel you to death. I think it would be great if WM's could use SD more successively in conjunction with EC cantrip (or do something to 'Stun Foe' to bring it down to a more even playing field.)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? (Please, no tomatoes, I'm just venting a little!)

Thanks for listening!
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/06/2010 05:53 PM CDT
Cantrips are a combination of fluff,atmosphere,& some minor uses like lighting a cigar,poofing stuff,drying off etc etc,they'll never have a real use in any kinda of combat.
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/06/2010 09:43 PM CDT
>> they'll never have a real use in any kinda of combat.

Well, they do have SOME use in combat. Water Globes can stun people. Crystalize Ice and Reinforce Stone both allow you to make long lasting elemental weapons.

Would be nice if EC could turn on or turn off the charge on your shield at will, without having to worry about the timer. A one second RT would be about the same as Preping ES 1, waiting one second, then casting.
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/06/2010 10:36 PM CDT
You probably don't want to look for ways to rely on chain stuns to do anything. The eyes of development are narrowing upon them.

Also:

>SD is the Warrior Mages' only pure Stun spell

It is?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/06/2010 10:43 PM CDT
i can type pre es, cas faster than i can type pre c e c, ges
it's more of a useful bonus effect, than a game enhancing ability

water globe stuns about as long as it takes to throw/gesture it. Also I'm pretty sure you can't use it on an engaged target, and i think they might be immune to certain things while under that stun.

Sd, TC, shockwave(not really a stun, but lasts long enough)... I also like to use arrows and TM to stun things.

Tekemi exclaims, "It's practically a smorgasbord out here!"
Tekemi says to Tokomi, "You're the prime rib, of course."
Re: Electric Charge Cantrip not always recharging ES (possible bug?) 05/07/2010 12:45 AM CDT
Yep, thunderclap is an area stun. It has a per room timer between uses though.

The stun water globe gives is equal to the roundtime you get so it has no combat application. I also think it's a special stun in that it doesn't affect the target's balance.