Black Fire 03/12/2015 07:01 PM CDT
This thread doesn't appear to have had any messages for years.

I'm a returning player - been gone for about ten years. I'm curious if there are any black fire spells available. If not, then what is the sorcery skill used for?
Re: Black Fire 03/12/2015 07:24 PM CDT
I don't believe there are any WM-specific sorcery spells right now.

Sorcery is used to casting cross-mana spells (So a WM (elemental) casting life, holy, or lunar). If I remember it takes the place of PM in a sorcerous setting. There's a ton of info on the wiki.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Sorcery
Re: Black Fire 03/12/2015 07:29 PM CDT
So no Black Fire spells then? I could have sworn they used to exist in scroll form somewhere...
Re: Black Fire 03/12/2015 08:07 PM CDT
>https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Blackfire

I don't remember blackfire ever being a real thing.

I think there was some type of WM scroll only spell (...besides air bubble, thanks), but can't remember what it was. It was not blackfire though.
Re: Black Fire 03/12/2015 08:14 PM CDT
Incinerate was a scroll. It was laughably rare and even more laughably imbalanced.

Development of Black Fire "for realsies" is... problematic, so you're likely to see it remain more of a lore thing and Warrior Mage sorcery for players go another direction.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Black Fire 03/13/2015 09:28 AM CDT
It used to make your target explode all over, then just made a body part explode, then the world exploded (or something) and the spell went away. Also it colored your flashpoint black-blue (you know flashpoint changes color if you prep an elelmental spell?)

45 mana to use? And you couldn't recast in a room for a few minutes. Also tended to backfire a lot. It was flashy at least.

There was an event with the adan'f learning it? I don't think they actually cast it. Also the fire cabalists and lava drakes have an area recall that mentions blackfire. Also sorcerous backlash when we mix holy is still blackfiery?
Re: Black Fire 03/13/2015 10:21 AM CDT
Blackfire got kaiboshed, there are proposals for WM sorcery but we have no idea what they are, or if we want to know.

WM non-sorcery is sort of a mixed bag of worthwile, questionable, and failed experiments with the recent magic system conversion so I'd hope we can get the regular spells shaken out (somebody delete YS already!) before we get more experemental spells.

Ehn but if developing WM sorcery floats some GMs boat... do what you love.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Black Fire 03/13/2015 10:56 AM CDT
Can you really question if Armifer and I love Sorcery? I mean, it's chock full of downsides and pain but players go for it every time.

It never stops being funny.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Black Fire 03/13/2015 11:03 AM CDT
Hylomorphic spirit dragons!!!
Re: Black Fire 03/13/2015 01:17 PM CDT
>Can you really question if Armifer and I love Sorcery? I mean, it's chock full of downsides and pain but players go for it every time.

It's not WM sorcery but I was heartbroken when the lumpy green runestones from Fate's Fortune could be invoked but not cast as a spell. WTB 4 frequency feral magic sorcery scrolls.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html