Warrior Mage Fellowship - Pt 1 (Very Long) 03/20/2006 07:55 PM CST
>>"For no matter what our Guild has sunk to in these recent years, the Elemental Mages of that time, the time of the Empire's fall, were brave men and women, filled with determination and spirit."

Some of you may read those words and recognize their author. Some of you may not, but at least remember that you'd heard them before. But out there, somewhere in the lands of Elanthia, very likely close to your homes, there will be plenty of young mages who do not. Mages who have never even thought of who came before them, who toiled and worked the elements in order to grasp only a hint of what we now learn with ease -- our forefathers, our mentors.

Those mages will likely not be reading this missive. They may not even know where to look for it even if they had the curiosity. They have no one to ask what to read or how to implement what they learn effectively in their lives. In most cases, it will likely be a matter of the blind leading the blind. But, those of us who do know could tell them, could share with them and help them to improve not just as fighters, but as scholars in the tradition of what it means to be a Mage. As to that particular quote, I would be remiss as a writer to not state that it was Melear Kadriash'nar'a who stated the words above, in the tome "The History of Dertalriosh Endaertheal'a, Volume One".

>>"Firulf knew that the study of Elemental Magic would never progress far if the Mages did not come together to share knowledge and techniques, so contrived a way to bring them together."
-- "The History of the Warrior Mage Guild, Volume I" by Maegwynel Nel'far.

Those days have come and gone, where we felt the grace of a god guiding us with inspiration towards a common goal. The history that progressed after that fateful time was full of learning, but continued on towards a dark time where knowledge was squandered and hoarded with destruction left in its wake. History is bound to repeat itself in some form or another.

We have a tendency in our guild of being independent, of not communicating with each other, of allowing our search for power to consume us in unfortunate ways. Seek out the guild history I mentioned if you believe me not, for our struggles, successes and failures are all written there. And in this day, many of our brethren spend all their efforts gaining greater power, rather than greater wisdom. We slaughter and kill in the hopes that it will teach us all we need to know, and our guild recognizes that as sufficient to progress as a Warrior Mage.

There was once a time where Warrior Mages acted as the Protectors of the Realms, a time that has not been altogether forgotten by all. It was a responsibility we took upon ourselves, maybe even that was put upon us by those who felt that with such great power came great responsibility. It granted us a purpose and a place in society, where we were respected for the bravery and skill which it took to be a Warrior Mage.

In these modern times, our guild is often regarded with envy or distaste, believing that we as a whole are aloof or uncaring to what transpires around us and that we become so consumed with power that we use it recklessly and discourteously. It goes largely unnoticed how many of our individual fellows act with honor, aiding and defending the realms, of how many give up their time and their lives to help out their common man in hours of need. Why might that be? Is it because those that act honorably are remembered as an individual, good and brave, and not for the guild they belong to? Whereas the ones who abuse with reckless intent, those are the ones who leave the lasting impressions of our guild?

How many more of you have made this same observation? How many of you feel that you are wrongly branded by the misdeeds of a few? Or that you have more to contribute to this land and to your fellows than what you are currently doing? Each individual should choose for themselves the level of responsibility they take with the power they have, when to defend and when not to. But I think the guild could stand to benefit from a unification of efforts. If we all realized our common purpose, shared with one another our knowledge and wisdom, and banded together when current events call for action, then it may be possible to rise above the bitter comments of other citizens and restore the reputation our guild once had for being great mages, and great defenders.

For those ~interested~ individuals, the ones who share my thoughts on this matter, what group is there for them to band together? Where might they go to contribute as Warrior Mages, not just as fighters? Something that has a greater purpose than just to be the militaristic strong-arm of a political organization? Something that will do good in the name of the guild, for those in the guild as well as the realms? I do not know of such a group yet, but I know of several like-minded people who are inclined to form one, for those with an interest.

These are the thoughts and observations which have led some of us to the conclusion that we wish to form a collective... a fellowship, in the name of Firulf, that strives to live up to the best of His example by coming together in unity with our fellow mages, sharing our knowledge, teaching our young, and fighting for the realms when the times call upon us to help. There are rumors rippling across the realms that times may indeed get dark in the near future, but that is for another discussion altogether. It only puts me in firmer mind that now is a time for any who wish it to seek out their fellows and band together to prepare for whatever is to come.

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." -- Kahlil Gibran