Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 07:26 PM CST
Hey again Javac. I noticed that this spell doesn't seem to affect lava drakes. They're immune to fire and (I think) Impact. They also have an ability that heals some of their damage periodically.

I do learn with the spell on them, but I never see any damage done to them, even right after it pulses. It's working fine on Cabalists.
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 08:41 PM CST
The spell does not seem to respect standard CAST CREATURE mechanics, making it extraordinarily hazardous to use in a group. I don't know if this is intended? A standard CAST or CAST CREATURE seems to hit everything in the room, even players, even if they're not engaged with you.

Here's a log. I snipped the unimportant stuff.

> prep ee 22
That will disrupt less than a quarter of your current attunement.
You trace a hasty sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Electrostatic Eddy spell.

You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.

> cast creature

You gesture.
Tapping into the Elemental Plane of Electricity, you begin charging the air around you to dangerous levels!

Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>
The strong smell of ozone accompanies a bolt discharging through Navesi.
The strong smell of ozone accompanies a bolt discharging through a rock troll.
The strong smell of ozone accompanies a bolt discharging through a rock troll.

> assess
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a rock troll (1) at melee range.
A rock troll (1: nimbly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A rock troll (2: solidly balanced) is facing Navesi at melee range.
Navesi (solidly balanced) is facing a rock troll (2) at melee range.

- Saragos
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 08:49 PM CST
>>CAST CREATURE

Is it possible that you need the 'S' on the end of CREATURES? I've always used the full word with my cyclic damage spell (Pyre), since it's in my script so I don't know if CREATURE works for it or not. Worth a shot as a test, though.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 08:50 PM CST
I'm investigating. I thought I fixed this when they found it in Plat...

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 08:56 PM CST
No, you don't need the S at the end.

Thanks for posting that Saragos, I was just on my way to post it myself.

Thanks for looking into it Javac.
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 09:11 PM CST
Thanks times infinity to Armifer for seeing my typo. I even looked directly at that line to ensure I didn't typo it...

This should be fixed in all instances...

Don't know about fire drakes. It's possible you're losing the contest, or just barely winning the contest. It's Magic vs Fortitude, someone asked at the event and I forgot to answer.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 10:39 PM CST
I think drakes are kind of weird about damage messaging. I was in there playing with the spell just now, and while the nerve damage doesn't show, they did seem to get easier to hit with some lower weapons. Maybe they're taking the damage but not messaging.

Mazrian
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 10:52 PM CST
Are Lava Drakes one of those constructs with custom wound text? I know some of that is weird/incomplete.

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/14/2016 11:14 PM CST
<<Are Lava Drakes one of those constructs with custom wound text? I know some of that is weird/incomplete.

Yes, they are.
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/20/2016 12:30 PM CST

was it intended to throw you in jail for using it in town? if so that kinda sucks.

You gesture.
Tapping into the Elemental Plane of Electricity, you begin charging the air around you to dangerous levels!
A sudden shout of "The man's dangerous!" heralds a nearby citizen to run for the guards. It won't be long before the Crossing authorities will try to bring you in for endangering the public.

Roundtime: 3 sec.
sR>
Re: Electrostatic Eddy 01/20/2016 12:31 PM CST
>>was it intended to throw you in jail for using it in town? if so that kinda sucks.

It's intended, just like any number of offensive AOE spells.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/20/2016 12:41 PM CST
Lightning Bolt is single-target and not dangerous to crowds, but generates a charge.

Arguably it's a bolt of lightning and that's pretty showy, but the same applies for lots of single-target TM spells that don't generate charges. Could LB maybe be changed in that respect?

Mazrian
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/20/2016 07:08 PM CST
think it was a throwback to when LB could wreck pc corpses

-Munch-
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/20/2016 07:11 PM CST
I'm kind of okay with the idea that there are certain spells that just look so awesome and dangerous the townspeople start screaming in abject fear of the display of raw power. Striking down your enemies with a bolt of lightning from the sky kind of qualifies.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/21/2016 02:18 PM CST
I just don't feel like a WM if the peasant's aren't running around screaming "mad mage!"

I'm not sure that's a good thing, though.

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/21/2016 04:11 PM CST
>>I just don't feel like a WM if the peasant's aren't running around screaming "mad mage!"

I understand that, but it's annoying that so many of our spells cause criminal charges.
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/21/2016 05:30 PM CST

It is annoying, but it's also true of all guilds. And honestly, it's only really annoying in Theren, where the Keep is a drag to get around/in/out, and Langenfirth's bin is still a justice zone.
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/21/2016 07:36 PM CST
So true. Both my offenses were coming out of the trail with EE still on. :(

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/21/2016 07:42 PM CST
<<It is annoying, but it's also true of all guilds.

I think this case is unique in that it is the only single target effect that does it, not counting necromancer stuff because destruction of the world as we know it and stuff. The idea behind justice triggering for spells is that they're dangerous to a random passer-by who can get hit with the effect. Lightning Bolt would need to be specifically targeted at a passer-by in order for it to affect them. I think LB has the potential for AoE damage if cast in water? Maybe that's what flags it as dangerous? Which still doesn't really make sense, since no settlements are located under several feet of water.

I can also see the argument for a spell being put on the no-no list because it's overtly flashy in it's damage potential. I.e. lightning bolts that strike down from the sky out of nowhere. This is a bit arbitrary, though, so if it's the case then I'm not sure why this spell was decided to be considered dangerous enough but no other single target spell was.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/22/2016 04:52 PM CST
>>Maybe that's what flags it as dangerous?

I could have sworn that at some point if a spell looked too kaboomy it would be flagged as dangerous even if it was pretty harmless. Think how Sorcerous magic works now, but [arbitrarily] applied to all types of magic with an unfair bias toward warrior mages who had a lot of "shock and awe"-style messaging.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/22/2016 08:00 PM CST
>>I could have sworn that at some point if a spell looked too kaboomy it would be flagged as dangerous even if it was pretty harmless. Think how Sorcerous magic works now, but [arbitrarily] applied to all types of magic with an unfair bias toward warrior mages who had a lot of "shock and awe"-style messaging.

Sounds about right. WM spells certainly LOOK dangerous. Far too many of them aren't anymore. Also, too many of them have environmental restrictions.
Re: Spells that trigger justice but possibly shouldn't. 01/22/2016 08:27 PM CST
<<WM spells certainly LOOK dangerous.

I'll repeat that is a completely arbitrary thing and it doesn't make sense why LB out of all the single target spells with flashy messaging across all guilds was singled out as the one that continues to trigger justice after the 3.0 conversion.

Bards shoot lightning and hailstorms out of their fingertips instead of the sky, Moon Mages straight up explode or slice off body parts, Clerics rip things to shreds with a black unicorn patronus, and Rangers trample stuff to death with magical herds of wild beasts just to name a few. They're all certainly flashy enough to be considered so dangerous as to result in charges of disturbing the peace.