Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 12:55 PM CDT
Good Morning,

Today I finally unlocked the final spells left for elemental weapons. I have all the skills now, the forging skills and techniques for all my weapons etc. Essentially I can make Tier 4 weapons at will for the ones I normally utilize in combat.

So.. I decided to check damage of each elemental broadsword with IGNITE applied at my maximum cast...

So first... I summoned a stone broadsword and cast ignite on it...

You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Ignite spell.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
> cast broad

Tendrils of flame dart along your hand toward a stone broadsword, which suddenly bursts into flames!
The complementary nature of the spell empowers you.

>
Learned: Utility, Elemental Magic, Attunement

You feel fully rested.
> appraise broad careful

A stone broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A stone broadsword trains the large edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
poor (2/26) puncture damage
very heavy (10/26) slice damage
fair (5/26) impact damage
low (3/26) fire damage with affinity for random attacks
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The stone broadsword is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the broadsword is decently (6/17) balanced and is reasonably (7/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the stone broadsword is rather reinforced against damage (11/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You believe that the stone broadsword probably weighs a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the stone broadsword is worth exactly 230 Lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

This makes total sense, a total of 17 damage from the base weapon, and 3 more from the ignite spell for a total of 20.

Next I made an electric broadsword.

> shape broad to elec

You reach out with your will and reshape your broadsword into an electric broadsword.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
R>
Learned: Summoning

>
Your electric broadsword suddenly bursts into flames.
> appraise broad careful

An electric broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
An electric broadsword trains the large edged skill.

no (0/26) slice damage
no (0/26) cold damage
very heavy (10/26) electric damage with affinity for slice attacks

The electric broadsword is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the broadsword is decently (6/17) balanced and is reasonably (7/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the electric broadsword is rather reinforced against damage (11/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You are confident that the electric broadsword might weigh several tens of stones.
You are certain that the electric broadsword is worth exactly 230 Lirums.
R>

Also as expected. 7 Physical damage from the base weapon, the 10 from the electricity and 3 more for a total of 20 points of damage.

Next I summoned an ice weapon...

> shape broad to ice

You reach out with your will and reshape your broadsword into an icy broadsword.
R>

>
Your icy broadsword suddenly bursts into flames.
> appraise broad careful

An icy broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
An icy broadsword trains the large edged skill.

no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) cold damage with affinity for slice attacks

The icy broadsword is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the icy broadsword is rather reinforced against damage (11/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You are confident that the icy broadsword might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the icy broadsword is worth exactly 230 Lirums.

Same as electricity... 20 points total.

You may see where i'm going with this...

Next I shaped to fire...

shape broad to fire
You reach out with your will and reshape your broadsword into a fiery broadsword.
R>

Your fiery broadsword suddenly bursts into flames.
> appraise broad careful

A fiery broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.
A fiery broadsword trains the large edged skill.

no (0/26) slice damage
very heavy (10/26) fire damage with affinity for slice attacks
no (0/26) cold damage

The fiery broadsword is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the fiery broadsword is rather reinforced against damage (11/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

You are confident that the fiery broadsword weighs about 35 stones.
You are certain that the fiery broadsword is worth exactly 230 Lirums.
R>

7 from the base weapon and 10 in the elemental category, but only a total of 17? where did the 3 extra points of fire damage go???

Why would an icy broadsword on fire be more powerful than a fire sword on fire? shouldn't this be evened out so every weapon ends up at 20 points? Or rather the same points based on what your ignite can actually do with the same cast?

Just seems to be strange....

-Ligian
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 01:51 PM CDT

It has been discussed several times in the past that ignite has a lesser effect on weapons with elemental fire damage because... they are already on fire. It would be like adding a fire to an already burning fire. Less effect.

Also keep in mind it's using the broadswords secondary physical stat to measure for ignite. In the broadsword's case its using 5/26. So the 5/26 ignite on an already 10/26 fire isn't enough to push your sword's fire damage from 10/26 to 11/26.

If you want to do more testing, I'd try the same on:

marauder blade
periperiu sword

Both of these weapons have the highest secondary physical stat which ignite uses. It's possible you will see a movement of fire damage when using ignite on a fire sword.

http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Warrior%20Mages/Magic%20Talk%20-%20Current%20Warrior%20Mage%20Magic/thread/1695081

>Fiery weapon + ignition doesn't seem to provide any additional benefit.

>>> Ignite will provide a very small bonus to weapons that do primarily fire damage. It's there, but it's small.

>>>> Jarvac
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 02:14 PM CDT
Damage values are (significantly) more granular than appraisal levels... Not that we know the scale of either (who knows if its even linear). This kind of comparison doesn't entirely work!

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 03:59 PM CDT
Ignite doesn't make weapons with fire damage much better.

That seems okay to me.

The problem, as I see it, is with elemental weapons you can do fire or cold or electrical with equal ease but one of those works significantly worse with the only weapon damage boosting spell you have (ignite), which in turn greatly devalues Fiery Infusions - which is doubly a problem since Warrior Mages are encouraged to dig into a specific spellbook.

Possible solutions:

1) Ignite buffs fire weapons the same as non-fire weapons. I'm slightly leery of this (Those who understand how DR damage works will understand that 10 slice + 10 fire =/= 20 fire in practice).

2) Ignite does something else when cast on a fire weapon. (What? I don't know.)

3) We add two new spells called something like "Frozen Weapon" and "Lightning Weapon". This makes sense to me but isn't exactly elegant and still doesn't help the dedicated fire/water/electrical mage.

4) We add opposition so ignite is less effective on cold weapons (This makes sense to me... but I struggle to make it make sense for electrical weapons).

Does anyone have some solid thoughts for a fix here?

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 08:41 PM CDT
I think Ignite metaspells for ice and electrical damage + maybe a name change to something else for the spell is a more elegant solution than two wholly new spells, but that's just me. Steelbinding or something as the name maybe. Binds an element into your weapon.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 08:57 PM CDT
This is a bit inelegant, but why not turn the base spell (Steelbinding or whatever) into its own single-slot spell (which, admittedly, wouldn't do anything on its own) and each type of elemental damage into their own metaspells that you can toggle between?

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 09:13 PM CDT

>> I think Ignite metaspells for ice and electrical damage + maybe a name change to something else for the spell is a more elegant solution than two wholly new spells, but that's just me. Steelbinding or something as the name maybe. Binds an element into your weapon.

I like this idea. But I would hate to add MORE spell slots towards elemental weapons and warmages in general.

What about a 0 slot metaspell akin to elementalism? "Have 5 ice spells and unlock ice based ignite?" Kind of like Will of Winter... except not a spell and doesn't change multiple spell damage types.

Or, how about attaching the metalspell changes to the various infusions. Shocking infusions could allow ignite to do lightning damage. Icy Infusions could allow ignite to do ice. So you could potentially have a lightning sword with ice damage from ignite if the person had ignite, shocking infusions, and icy infusions.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 10:48 PM CDT
>> I think Ignite metaspells for ice and electrical damage + maybe a name change to something else for the spell is a more elegant solution than two wholly new spells, but that's just me. Steelbinding or something as the name maybe. Binds an element into your weapon.

>>Or, how about attaching the metalspell changes to the various infusions. Shocking infusions could allow ignite to do lightning damage. Icy Infusions could allow ignite to do ice. So you could potentially have a lightning sword with ice damage from ignite if the person had ignite, shocking infusions, and icy infusions.

I think a combination of these would be cool, if slightly complicated. Replace Ignite with a 2 slot Aether Utility spell like Steelbinding or maybe Elemental Infusion that allows you to infuse any weapon with a matrix of Aether that you can then use to bind Fire, Ice, or Electricity to if you have the matching infusion metaspell from elemental weapons. Although now you've spent 3 slots to get what you once had for 2 and you've a useless Utility spell just to get there. Perhaps drop the new Elemental Infusion spell to 1 slot or give it an effect, maybe a durability bump to the weapon? And then let fire/fiery, ice/icy, and electricity/shocking infusions have a slightly lesser effect like ignite/fiery does now.

You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Elemental Infusion spell.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
> cast kuda

Streams of aether flow along your hand toward a serrated kudalata, overlaying it with an elemental matrix.

> rub kuda

You run your hand along a stone broadsword, infusing the elemental matrix, and it bursts into flames!

> rub kuda

You run your hand along a serrated kudalata, infusing the elemental matrix, and a layer of frost forms across its surface!

> rub kuda

You run your hand along a serrated kudalata, infusing the elemental matrix, and wave of electricity crackle along its length!

> rub kuda

You run your hand along a serrated kudalata, infusing the elemental matrix, and it lapses back to its mundane appearance.

Now that I type it out, it seems overly complicated... But I dunno. Like the idea of infusing a mundane weapon with a matrix of aether that can then hold or channel other elemental energy other than just fire.

Tepi Pokeke'izzu'hhr, Windcaster
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/11/2015 11:10 PM CDT
I like the idea of a spell to choose what type of elemental damage to add to a weapon. Maybe an Aether spell, like suggested, and add three new cantrips that set the damage type for the spell when cast. Need two spells in the book with the damage type you want to add. Kind of like how Pattern Hues works. Would this even be technically possible?
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/12/2015 12:02 AM CDT
A base spell that adds elemental damage bases on the weather (warm fire, cold cold, stormy electric), and metaspells to choose the damage you want? As soon as I reread this it sounds complicated and inelegant..

Is it okay for ignight to have a secondary effect (like a small fire DOT)? I don't want our weapon boost to end up too fiddly when it should be relatively straightforward?

Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/12/2015 03:00 AM CDT

>> You trace a careful sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Elemental Infusion spell.

I like this idea a lot. Esp. the hand rubbing on the weapons!

You could always just drop ignite altogether, and turn it into a 1 slot metaspell called Elemental Infusion that can add the ignite effect in all 3 elements. Perhaps the prereq for an element would be each infusion.

But then again we don't want to lose ignite as a scroll....
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/12/2015 07:17 AM CDT
While metaspells do help this to fit... Please keep in mind there are those of us who have chosen to not pursue elemental weapons. The crafting cost was just too high. My WM trains outfitting, Empath trains forging and Trader is Engineer. He was way too invested with forging techs when elemental weapons were released. He uses proper tool care to assist with crafting and mining. Also makes use of Armor Maintainance and almost to the point of utilizing Proper Weapon Care.

The point here is that for someone who has chosen a path that elemental weapons is not included in, should they loose the damage boost from ignite. I for one hope not.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/12/2015 11:58 AM CDT
It can be a metaspell in the same sense that Flame Shockwave is rather than one in the sense the elemental weapon stuff is, and only modify ignite. That was my suggestion's intent.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/14/2015 06:50 PM CDT

I didn't bother with elemental weapons because eats too many slots to be worth it to me. I love ignite personally and being I play in plat I have pretty much all tier 5+ weapons so between that and spell slots never bothered. I played with them when on preview but wasn't sold.

Now if you auctioned off special templates or added some HIGH level abilities to it I might rethink them. But when I make the same weapon as someone with a some techs and weapons and summoning only counts to reduce chance loss of rare mats it just doesn't entice me.

I get the give the low level people stuff because of short attention spans and f2p, but let's see something for the long term 100+ players besides a spell slot every 3 circles til 150.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/15/2015 12:58 AM CDT
>> I didn't bother with elemental weapons because eats too many slots to be worth it to me. I love ignite personally and being I play in plat I have pretty much all tier 5+ weapons so between that and spell slots never bothered. I played with them when on preview but wasn't sold.

>> Now if you auctioned off special templates or added some HIGH level abilities to it I might rethink them. But when I make the same weapon as someone with a some techs and weapons and summoning only counts to reduce chance loss of rare mats it just doesn't entice me.

>> I get the give the low level people stuff because of short attention spans and f2p, but let's see something for the long term 100+ players besides a spell slot every 3 circles til 150.

... Please go make a lightning Periperiu sword, cast ignite on it, and then tell me how its the same as your other t5 weapons. Turning 17 slicing damage into 17 lightning is amazing. No other ability exits like that in the game right now.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/16/2015 01:12 AM CDT

Didn't take the techs to do it. Won't have the techs to do it. Only get 9 spell slots left to get.

But here's a little comparison....

Peri-whatever sword 03- low 17- mighty 11- great 06- decently 03- poorly 10- v.well 11- r.reinforced 90 stones. So 3/0/11 17 electricity right when made?

vs my 2HE with ignite on it.

A viciously-sharpened glaes war axe with a verdant moonsilver-embedded blackwood haft is a two-handed edged pole-ranged weapon.
A viciously-sharpened glaes war axe with a verdant moonsilver-embedded blackwood haft trains the two-handed edged skill.

low (3/27) puncture damage
very bone-crushing (20/27) slice damage
severe (13/27) impact damage
dismal (moderate (7/27) fire damage with affinity for random attacks
no (0/27) cold damage
no (0/27) electric damage

The war axe is decently (6/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the axe is inadequately (4/17) balanced and is very well (10/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the war axe is quite guarded against damage (12/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The war axe is made with metal.
You are certain that the war axe weighs exactly 99 stones.
The war axe looks to be custom-made.
You wonder if the war axe could be worth about a small mint in Dokoras.
The war axe looks to bear your familiar marks of registration.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/16/2015 12:57 PM CDT

>> Peri-whatever sword 03- low 17- mighty 11- great 06- decently 03- poorly 10- v.well 11- r.reinforced 90 stones. So 3/0/11 17 electricity right when made?

Tier 4 was 3/0/11/17 (lightning)
Tier 4 with ignite is probably 3/0/11/17/6 lightning/fire
90 stone

Your tier 5 war axe is 3/20/13/7.
99 stone.

Peri sword 37 total damage (23 elemental)
war axe is 43 total damge (7 elemental)

Assuming the tier 5 Peri sword has better stats, it probably comes quite close to your war axe and 9 stones lighter. You also can't underestimate the difference between 23 elemental vs 7 elemental.

I'd personally pick a tier 4 Peri sword over your tier 5 war axe. The damage is better when you consider the 23 elemental and.... you don't have to buy the tier 5 war axe. That means it can never be disarmed or lost. Pretty nice perk.

I do think the elemental weapons were a bit limited by not having every sword template but this was probably by design. (Do i really want to wield a sword I can't pronounce? Periepeiri something something.)
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/16/2015 04:55 PM CDT
An electric periperiu sword is a two-handed edged pole-ranged weapon.
An electric periperiu sword trains the two-handed edged skill.

low puncture damage
no slice damage
great impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
mighty electric damage with affinity for slice attacks

The periperiu sword is decently designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is very well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the periperiu sword is rather reinforced against damage, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the periperiu sword weighs exactly 90 stones.
You are certain that the periperiu sword is worth exactly 560 Lirums.

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/16/2015 06:34 PM CDT

>> An electric periperiu sword is a two-handed edged pole-ranged weapon.
>> An electric periperiu sword trains the two-handed edged skill.

Do you know what tier? Can you cast ignite on it? Very curious to see final numbers.
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/16/2015 07:20 PM CDT
That's tier 4 construction.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/16/2015 10:16 PM CDT
When you amass some nice toys and get toward where your spell slots trail off, those elemental weapons become less awesome and more ok I can have these spells or make weapons. 7 or whatever slots it takes to make them eats too far into spell slots for my taste.

Remember they were put in to help LOW LEVEL people with summoning. They aren't end game. There's nothing except slots after pathways and familiars are learned.

Again IF there was something to tempt me to use some of my last few spell slots I would...

BUT Spells and Feats > Elemental Weapons (IMO)
Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/17/2015 02:12 PM CDT
I don't really want to live in a DR where every single warmage uses only summoned weapons their entire career. It's a cool sometimes ability and it doesn't need a reductive conversation dedicated to weather or not they're a old and broken or new hotness, especially not when we're supposed to be talking about how ignite could be a cooler ability for dedicated pyromancers.

Re: Elemental Fire Weapons and Ignite don't make logical sense... 08/21/2015 11:21 AM CDT
>>I don't really want to live in a DR where every single warmage uses only summoned weapons their entire career.

I think the point of making certain systems, not just weapon summoning, as a proactive investment is explicitly to avoid having all people of a specific guild having the same build.

Like doing heavy amounts of elemental weapon damage? The investment for summoned weapons might be for you. Prefer doing cyclic DoT? There are now feats to support that. Maybe there will be a familiar combat system that requires notable slot investment, too. Or something else.

IMO, it's the same as crafting. You're not meant to have the same crafting techs as everyone else, even when you're both blacksmiths/tailors/etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.