Commodity Suggestion 06/08/2009 12:09 PM CDT
This may have been suggested before, but it seems like the commodities are mostly small things that a strong person could stick in a box and carry themselves. Why would I want to put 100 pearls on a caravan? That fits in two gem pouches, unless they're gigantic pearls.

I think this would help the system get used more, because people could buy low and then continue their business as usual while waiting for prices to go up.

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I blame Bubba:
http://the-emu.mybrute.com
Re: Commodity Suggestion 06/09/2009 08:57 AM CDT
<< This may have been suggested before, but it seems like the commodities are mostly small things that a strong person could stick in a box and carry themselves.

I comment on this with the understanding that commodities are being rewritten. While the items may be small, allowing a person to carry the box around really isn't feasible because most non-combat methods involving profit require a certain amount of time/effort. Your trip from Dirge to Leth earns you more coins on average because the trip is longer and more time consuming than the trip from Dirge to Stone Clan.

The second we allow players to carry crates on their person, every Trader will hire a moon mage and things will quickly get ridiculous on profits -or- Traders will be running at speeds that caravans could never achieve for deliveries. The only way to adjust this would be to decrease commodity profits drastically and that would only hurt new guild members that aren't familiar with routes. I would also have to then allow for special situations where a caravan would be needed (heavier items) and a new set of rules for those as well. While I agree with the concept, it just isn't likely to happen.

Best Regards,
~GM Arnimas

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his who enjoys it."
-Benjamin Franklin
Re: Commodity Suggestion 06/09/2009 09:40 AM CDT
Hmm... If you're mid-rewrite, I'm not sure how useful suggestions are at this point, but I'm gonna do it anyway just in case it's do-able.

Instead of getting the actual crate full of stuff, what if you got papers from that pit that entitles you to that many. So you have a few options. You can wait for the price to go up at that pit, and sell your rights to the goods back (like the stock market), or you can give the papers to a shipping clerk and have them load the goods onto your caravan/animal for transport to another pit.

Another thing that would be good to see are the current prices of the other pits. It would only take two people at each pit with an albredine ring for them to keep an accurate chart for each pit. This would help give Traders an idea of what is needed in which pit.

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I blame Bubba:
http://the-emu.mybrute.com
Re: Commodity Suggestion 06/12/2009 06:38 PM CDT
>(like the stock market)

Actually what you're describing is more like commodities futures than stocks. As somebody whose bachelor's was in Financial Engineering, I would love it if a decently realistic system was put into place.

-Azhag
Re: Commodity Suggestion 06/12/2009 08:52 PM CDT
>>I would love it if a decently realistic system was put into place.

I'd be happy to just see the new commodity system that works decently over extended periods of time. Oh who am I kidding, I'd be happy to just see the commodity system.