Newb 07/12/2008 07:24 PM CDT
Hello, I've recently rolled up a trader and was wondering if there was a site somebody could recommend a site with a guide of trading.

The mule is slow. But i've lead him around to tiger/wolf clan. However, what do you do with him when you want to stop the hauling? And how/what do i feed him?

Ledger, please explain how this can teach me scholarship, is it becuase i've only recorded two transactions?
Re: Newb 07/12/2008 07:28 PM CDT
you can return it or stable it feed it grass.

try http://www.geocities.com/homer3142/ its apu's site
Re: Newb 07/12/2008 07:34 PM CDT
what's the command to feed a mule grass?
Re: Newb 07/12/2008 07:42 PM CDT
Welcome aboard!

Yes, pack animals can be slow. The caravans can move much more quickly. To feed them, what you do is hold the grass in your right hand and Give <critter/caravan>. Incidentally, a well-fed animal will move more quickly than a hungry one. When you're ready to stop trading for the day, there are special stables for trader beasts. But it might be simpler for you to just stand before the clerk and Return <critter>, especially if you aren't sure when you will play again.

With the ledger, I wrote a quick-and-dirty script to turn the pages and study them. But it may not be worth your while to do that until you get a caravan that can lead while you read. Your ledger will also keep track of your transactions for you, and will record if you owe any fees at any especial outposts. My main trader doesn't use her ledger for scholarship training any more, but at early ranks she was locking scholarship quite easily.

There are a few trader sites with links from the Dragonrealms home page- but be aware that many are probably outdated.

I do have a few hints for you.

1)Pack a shield. Traders do have an armor req, and arm-worn shields make it fairly easy to train.
2)High-light the description of your beast of burden. That way if you lose him, it will be easier for you to find him again.
3)If you don't have a feed bag- and my trader doesn't because a canvas sack serves just fine- pick up a sack and load it with grass. The grass is free, and you will train foraging- which will count toward the survival reqs you will have.
4)I've never had to use this, but if you lose your beast of burden, Recall <critter> might help you find him.
5)Zoluren is just about the friendliest province there is for newbie traders now. If you want to trade in Therengia, train climbing. If in Ilithi, train escaping on account of the muck between Shard and Darkling Wood.
6)If you should get killed while out on your routes- and there are places where that could happen- ask your dragger to wait for your caravan. Caravans now will follow the corpses of their traders. Kudos to Adera for that!
7)Don't be too eager to start routes immediately: You can learn trading by selling fish and pelts, and won't have to pay rent for a critter.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Newb 07/12/2008 10:42 PM CDT
hold grass or feedbag
give caravan
give mule
Re: Newb 07/13/2008 12:03 AM CDT
thanks guys. yeah i noticed running contracts, between wolf/tiger/xing didn't move trading at all. However, selling branches to Mags had it locked, eventually. Do contracts eventually give bigger experience chunks?
Re: Newb 07/13/2008 06:13 AM CDT
yes. and selling mags will teach you your first ranks very nicely. one piece of advice, get ahold of raniks maps <there's a link on elanthepedia.> http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

get to Know where all your outposts are. using a donkey or a mule will save you money for now, but later on when your contracts are worth a bit more, you'll want to use a caravan. They hold more, and they will lead part of the way.

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Newb 07/13/2008 08:40 AM CDT
By the time you have a dozen or so circles under your belt, you may find it hard to NOT lock trading using contracts- if you run a circuit.

Let me give you an example:

I pick up a contract in Crossing to Dirge. So I set out to Dirge- But I stop in Arthe Dale and Kaerna on the way to pick up contracts there.

Here is another tip: Unless your contracts to Leth are due in a hurry, don't run down to Leth with just one contract: It will save you ferry fare.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy