Commodoties 03/17/2006 07:14 AM CST
What decides how many commodoties you can buy/own at a time?

Also while I'm posting, what makes contracts pay better? I'm guessing trading skill plays a big part but does circle too? What about stats? Is there something similar to the forging factor too? (The more contracts you run, the higher they pay?).

Rick
Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 07:31 AM CST
Don't quote me on this but I believe contracts pay better due to Trading skill, Charisma and how quickly you've gotten contracts to outposts in the past. For example if you hold on to your Leth contracts till you have 3 or 4 then the Leth Clerk will not like you much. This is just what I believe not sure how much basis in code there is there.

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 10:07 AM CST
Trading ranks seems to determine how many commodities you can buy. Keep in mind that you really don't want to get into commodities unless you are prepared to lose money, though. Although you can gain too, depending in large part on your luck.

A wee plat trader

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 10:22 AM CST
What makes you say it's down to luck? Have commodoties changed? Been a couple of years since I was playing a trader, back then it was a pretty good way of learning/making money, and was also alot more fun than scripting contracts.
Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 10:24 AM CST
<<Trading ranks seems to determine how many commodities you can buy. Keep in mind that you really don't want to get into commodities unless you are prepared to lose money, though. Although you can gain too, depending in large part on your luck.>>

Circle is the biggest factor with Trader ranks the other. However, commodities follow strict rules and once you know the rules you won't lose money and can make loads of it. As to luck the factor that is luck is how many other people are currently trading the commodities

Events make the land live and breath over the normalcy of everyday hunting,foraging ect. It is the RP aspect that brings out people to live the game.

GM Shakahn on events in prime
Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 08:07 PM CST
<Also while I'm posting, what makes contracts pay better? I'm guessing trading skill plays a big part but does circle too? What about stats? Is there something similar to the forging factor too? (The more contracts you run, the higher they pay?).>

Circle is by far the largest impact on contract value/profit. There is likely a min and cap value of contracts within each circle which is effected only by trading skill and charisma. But they are very easy to cap and you will only notice the difference by circling.

<...and how quickly you've gotten contracts to outposts in the past. For example if you hold on to your Leth contracts till you have 3 or 4 then the Leth Clerk will not like you much. This is just what I believe not sure how much basis in code there is there.>

Wrong. So very wrong. To everyone reading this. Please dont perpetuate this rumor. There is no active reputation system. The only problems you can ever run into is when the contract actually expires before its delivered and its effects are minimal.

-V.V.
Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 08:25 PM CST
Just curious V.V. if you actually read the last line in my post

Re: Commodoties 03/17/2006 09:01 PM CST
Not sure on this, but looks like your max commodoties could be = (2*Trading) + Charisma

Backed up with no proof, just seems convienient that I can have 42 while I have 12 charsima and 15 trading. Will see if it works when my trading goes up.

Only a guess.

Anyone else got some numbers they can share?
Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 05:22 AM CST
>Just curious V.V. if you actually read the last line in my post<

My statement about 'If you are reading this.." was directed at everyone reading it. I am continually running into young traders who have this false belief that there is some sort of 'rep system'.

Also - The Trading skill is an almost completely dead skill. It is effectively, nothing more than a circle barrier. Taken outside of its correlation to min trading ranks at a given circle, Trading only truly effects max commodities and titles! Yay.

-V.V.
Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 07:32 AM CST
>>My statement about 'If you are reading this.." was directed at everyone reading it. I am continually running into young traders who have this false belief that there is some sort of 'rep system'.

Your statement sounded rude. At any rate, do you have any evidence that reputation does not play a part in this? Any GMs stated as such? Just seems wierd that they would go through the effort of having the Clerks say different things to you depending on how long you take if it means nothing.

Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 10:03 AM CST
Sigh..

V.V.

Vazaelle Valleren.
Legendary Trader Vazaelle Valleren.

Nuff said?

Should be.

But anyhow. Yes. I have been a member of this guild since the Beforetime and I have heard all of our Guru's speak on this particular matter. I even listened to the deafening silence of the Beforetime when we didnt even have a guru for two years. Godrich said as much and there should be a record of it. Before GM Godrich (Kertigen bless him) the Trader guild was not considered an actual guild. Not quite as incomplete as the Bard guild at the time, but almost every single system that was initially planned for the Trader guild was never started or was only semi-implemented (the wording you speak of) and there is no code behind it.

Here's an example. You trade commodities? Did you know that that particular system is considered broken? Or, more accurately never actually went live. It was originally an ambitious project that was barely made usuable. This means it technically works. You can indeed buy goods high and sell them low. Based on nothing more than luck or comparing the price from place to place and then running off and hoping you get there in time. Listen to all the information you get when you stand in the pit. Does any of it mean anything in game? No.

As far as the wording about being late on your contracts. Have you ever heard the clerk mention Luigi? Did you know he is an actual trader? Bet not. Now find someone in the game who actually met him. Or ask our GM's if they know who he is. I in fact met him. About 9 years ago. Three or four times. A very mysterious individual. Very helpful as well. But guess what? Not long after that or perhaps while he was still around, the wording you speak of went in the game. Thats how long the reputation system has been planned, but as I stated once and for some reason have to state again for you was never implemented.

V.V.
Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 10:24 AM CST
>I in fact met him. About 9 years ago.

Oh gosh, you win DR now.

I think the whole point was that the original poster, said "this is what i believe" and your post was pretty hostile in acting like he said "THIS IS THE TRUTH ABIDE BY IT." which was, of course, not the case.

I still haven't seen any real "proof" from you that his opinion is false anyway, other than telling us you've been around for 80 million years and therefore have been privy to information others may not. Nor have I seen any of your own opinions either.

Also.

Vazaelle Valleren.
Legendary Trader Vazaelle Valleren.
Nuff said?
Should be.

Is pretty pompous. Not everyone who is high or Legendary in a guild is automatically worthy of respect. That has to be earned. Telling me your name and typing in that you are LEGENDARY does nothing for me, save think that you are bragging for the sole intention of being deemed "correct" in the conversation.

Huldah: I heard the new Ferdahl was fat. Me: How fat? Huldah: So fat, her coronation has to take two days. One so her stomach can show up and the other two days later so the rest of her is there too! HAR HAR!
AIM: Huldahs Pal
Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 10:50 AM CST
What Huldah's-Pal said and in addition the is a code to everything in the game. If there wasn't it wouldn't be in the game, that is how coding works.

Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 01:35 PM CST
Hey, folks, getting a little heated about here. Glad you moved the conflict to the conflicts folder but while there are some valid points here, albit a little incorrect, I wanted to get in and just clear some of the air a little. I am by no means calling anyone out.

Our systems were not born broken. Commodities went into the system pretty functional and accurate. Unfortunately, it was too accurate and, within the system, allowed a few traders to seriously skew the economy in a bad way. So things had to be adjusted. I don't want to say we broke it but we did have to do things to it that make it appear broken.

That said, Arnimas is working on a much bigger and better commodity system and it will cover all the provinces, not just Zoluren. It will be a wonder to behold. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And of course the Trader's guild was an actual guild. I have to assume you mean that in the sense we felt behind the other guilds that were getting a lot of action. Kaikyu was, to his credit, too damn good and he was involved in a lot of projects outside the Trader's guild. He made the game incredible in many ways, ways that we still rely on today. And Traders are such a unique group that we've always had lower numbers than other guilds and the GM situation was a reflection of that. Now, I'm happy to say, you guys are the only guild with a complete GM team with a Liaison, Guru and Assistant.

Quite frankly, our systems are massive because of what they have to accomplish. They're like really big ships that are hard to build and move around once going. Your team here is working on doing just that, as well as bringing you things in the meantime. I hope we don't disappoint.

Because Trading is an art, baby.
Re: Commodoties 03/18/2006 04:18 PM CST
Commodities don't seem that bad. They're far from broken. Then again I could just be extremely lucky. Right now I'm 8th circle (yea yea not so high) just using Mags and Commodoties. I'm also about 5 plat better off.

All that with a few hours playing around. Any loses were when I took a risk on purpose.

I guess people don't use them more because they believe the rumours, can't be bothered trying them, or just want to script much less efficiently running contracts.

Rick.

P.S> My guess at how many commodities you can take was way out lol. Ahh well.
Re: Commodoties 03/19/2006 04:39 PM CST
Personally I like the way commodities are working except for the fact that they are only in Zoluren. I make quite a bit of coin running commods. Granted sometimes it seems to take forever before a commod is no longer at a surplus and I can sell it, but the stable storage has really helped with that. I just wonder if anyone still uses the wearhouse storage. Commods work if you keep a tally of the general low price and general high price of the commods, once in great a while the price will raise or lower to an unusually low or high price but if you keep your eyes open, you can tell what the general low price for buying is and the general high price for selling.

The way I do my commods is I try to buy at the general low price and if I can find a place to sell it at 5 more copper per commod than what I paid for it, then I sell, but that's just my method, and it seems to work for me.

Re: Commodoties 03/20/2006 11:14 AM CST

<<Taken outside of its correlation to min trading ranks at a given circle, Trading only truly effects max commodities and titles! Yay.>>

i know for a fact that that statement is false.

It also affects pawn value of stolen goods. I've done quite a bit of "research" in this area.

Bagsodoks Platsgonif

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Commodoties 03/20/2006 06:10 PM CST
I cant wait! How soon?
Re: Commodoties 03/29/2006 08:34 AM CST
Greetings,

Time frame? You know I won't use that word that is used for time frames sometimes and it would be decidedly unfair to either you all or Arnimas to give any sort of time frame. It's on the goal list though and that makes it his priority. At this point, I can't answer on tidbits, except that it will be all outposts. And who let my secret out...yes, the Trader guild is being disbanded and we all have to sell off everything and become town guards.

Adera

Life is the journey, not the destination.
Re: Commodoties 03/29/2006 08:57 AM CST
'I know for a fact that that statement is false.

It also affects pawn value of stolen goods. I've done quite a bit of "research" in this area.'

Bagsodoks Platsgonif'

I will pass on any specific knowledge of this particular use of the trading skill. I don't do it much myself. But I still lean towards my view that taken outside of correalation between circle and trading ranks..trading ranks are not very important. I could be swayed if you could answer a question I have. Did your research include taking a first circle trader and seeing if you could cap return value? And if so, did you then take a second or more circle trader and see if you could cap the return value and if it was equal or greater than at equal trading ranks?

My view, based on experience, is that trading ranks can have some very small influence on returns. Im sure there is some sort of variance based solely on the trading skill within a given circle. But I feel it caps each circle. Let me know please.

I know in trading contracts, i have gotten around 200 ranks of trading since i last circled, and there has been not noticable advancement in my profits/hour.

V.V.
Re: Commodoties 03/29/2006 04:16 PM CST
Think what they are discussing is gem/bundle/pawn selling all fall under the same combination of skills/circle.

The three factors for this are Circle(biggest), Charisma being next, Appraisal ranks having the least influence...

I don't remember Trading playing any role in that bonus. For contracts, I perceive Trading ranks to play no roll in profit. It is Circle by far, with a smidgeon of Charisma (in regards to the amount of dues you pay back to the guild per contract).

I really don't know what factor Trading ranks has in anything we do, other than something that allows us to circle.

I've always found it sort of funny that we get so few official guidance on how we should approach using TDPs and skill focus from our GMs. I don't know if they enjoy reading our misinformation or they think it would take away from the enjoyment of the game - I don't enjoy wasting TDPs and/or time doing 'something' based on heresay and conjecture. I can't imagine anything being less fun than to find out after a few years of playing you were doing the wrong thing.

It would be nice to know for sure, aye.

Gidske
Re: Commodoties 03/30/2006 06:42 AM CST
>I've always found it sort of funny that we get so few official guidance on how we should approach using TDPs and skill focus from our GMs. I don't know if they enjoy reading our misinformation or they think it would take away from the enjoyment of the game - I don't enjoy wasting TDPs and/or time doing 'something' based on heresay and conjecture. I can't imagine anything being less fun than to find out after a few years of playing you were doing the wrong thing.

Actually, it isn't just us, the Trader GMs. Any GM is not going to tell you how to spend your TDPs because how you decide to develope your character is entirely up to you (well, unless you're having some sort of personal pow-wow or something, I can't speak for that). That said, this is a mental drive guild and mentals are good for it. In addition to that, I know we've said before not to ignore your Charisma because that is big in this guild and I don't think I'll get in too much trouble for saying that we're always considering developing things which include Charisma checks.

So, there you have it, guidance.

Because Trading is an art, baby.
Re: Commodoties 03/30/2006 09:30 PM CST
How about a way to sneak in a lower bid on ordered items during negotiation? A successful check would result in another offer by the shopkeeper, rather than the guffaw and termination of the negotiations that happens now.

What about tax evasion? Maybe every month, a Charisma check would occur in addition to the citizenship tax application. Likewise when the thugs meet you at the teller window. Simple failure would mean that you have to pay like normal, while success would waive the action entirely (ie, Vito goes home empty-handed). Critical failure might mean you either pay more or something else happens in addition to you losing the money (ie, arrested for tax evasion, or thugging by the bank thugs with a possible banishment from the bank or the freezing of your assets there). With the inclusion of Letters of Denomination (loans that work like a combination of contracts and market certificates), perhaps you could also report PCs for tax evasion or fiscal delinquency.

To further the criminal trader aspect, perhaps in the CTS (Critter Trading System) or even as an entirely new system (the crime system?) you could include something like pyramid schemes. Success--and payout--would be determined by how long you could keep everyone convinced that it was a great idea. I'd say include PCs, but the scamming policy would currently prevent that (or does it merely grant consent?).

Maybe finance-able shops could be robbable by thieves/everyone. Traders of a certain bent could pad their profits by offering protection; regardless of the details, Charisma would play a huge role in that sort of thing.

And, hey, how about item forgery? Fake antiques, similar-but-different-in-a-key-way lookalikes, perhaps even fake "originals" (ie, some white linen sheets with peculiar burn marks on it could conceivably be passed off as the very sheets that some Jesus-Equivalent was swaddled in after his execution). Without a way to determine the origins (facricated or otherwise), would probably be a means of museum supply or something related to pawn shops.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Commodoties 03/31/2006 05:56 AM CST
>Actually, it isn't just us, the Trader GMs. Any GM is not going to tell you how to spend your TDPs...

My statement was meant for all the GMs.

I'm sure this is purely rhetorical, but what would be so bad to just say Trading, Appraisal and this trait help do this? I've seen other GMs be kind enough to clarify skills that way in the past (example is Ssra for listing what stats and/or combination thereof effect what defenses) without the world falling apart. I'm not asking for the exact formula, yet to just say mentals and Charisma help, ok. Yes, speaking purely for myself, I figured that part out before I joined the guild; along with a bunch of misinformation that went with such general guidance. That was the meat of my earlier post though.

Speculate coin, what stats/skills combinations help this, Contracts same thing, etc.

I don't mean to sound harsh. I've learned to live with DR's policy(?) that GMs keep such information under lock and key and it just seems to 'ME' odd.

Thanks for listening though.

Gidske