Commodities 05/23/2004 07:45 AM CDT
Greetings.

Granted, I'm still fairly young at this Trading business however...

I've been trying to play with Commodities some and quite frankly I have absolutely no clue what is going on with this. I watch Crossing, for example, and the higher the level of the commodity [ie Surplus!] the higher the price.. the lower the stock level falls the lower the price goes and it just doesn't make any sense to me...

or I'm missing something obvious here.

Is there something somewhere online that I can look at to try to get a handle on this or is this, as I've I heard, something that is just not working quite right?

I've managed to make more then I've lost but only just barely at times.

Thanks!

Iledwyn
Re: Commodities 05/23/2004 08:02 AM CDT
It's not supposed to make sense. Supply and demand don't really interact with each other.
Re: Commodities 05/24/2004 01:01 AM CDT
<<Is there something somewhere online that I can look at to try to get a handle on this or is this, as

I would suggest www.mytwokronars.com. The have two guides(one is an updated version of the first) That is rather helpful.

<<I watch Crossing, for example, and the higher the level of the commodity [ie Surplus!] the higher the price.. the lower the stock level falls the lower the price goes and it just doesn't make any sense to me...

Personally, now that the war is over I have had no luck with the commods. Heres why. Think of the price and surplus like this.

Starting state:
Crossing - Pearls 800 GOING FAST!
Arthe Dale - Pearls 700 GOOD STORES!

You go to Arthe Dale, and there is a good supply of pearls for 700. So you buy 50 of em, and they sell out. Now you go to crossing. before you sell them they are at going fast and they are posting a price of 800. You sell your 50 pearls, make your 5 gold. Now the Crossing has a surplus of pearls. End result:
Crossing - Pearls 800 SURPLUS!
Arthe Dale - Pearls 700 SOLD OUT!

Its basically converse supply demand. Because we the traders are the buyers, there is a demand for cheap goods, and a supply of pricey ones.

The system builds up the supplies and decreaces them over time.(It seems rather slow) Then occasionaly the prices will shift drastically. Its these quick shifts that make you a quick plat or two, but you can easily get burned on em too.

So bottom line, the more traders runnin commods, the fewer good buys there will be. There are sublte tricks you can do to take advantage of the system and buy and sell at the close sells, like buying something in Arthe to sell in Cross when Cross has GOOD STORES! But those quick shifts can get you here too.

I think there has to be a better way to do this system, but until it gets changed, we are forced to deal with the idiosyncrasies or not trade commods.

Hope this helps.

Perot, working myself into an early grave
Re: Commodities 05/24/2004 04:23 PM CDT
the war is over, wha??!?!? theres a cease fire, I wouldnt call the war over though...
Re: Commodities 05/24/2004 08:21 PM CDT
<<the war is over, wha??!?!? theres a cease fire, I wouldnt call the war over though...

Sorry let me rephrase that.

Now that all the outposts in Zolluren have been liberated and many of the traders have resumed runnin commods.
Re: Commodities 05/26/2004 12:50 PM CDT
commods does not use the supply and demand model. it uses the production model. The higher the price goes, the more that is produced, causing a glut, causing the price to fall, causeing a shortage.

It is just a different economic theory

"Friends don't let their friends buy Micro$oft."
Been away a while - Status on Commodities system 12/01/2004 06:59 PM CST
Just curious, I have been away from the lands for a long time...and most recently returned with a couple of other characters. I am now getting back into using my trader again however and I am wondering is the Commodities rewrite still happening?

If so, do they know when the new system will be available?

Sylzar
Commodities Rule! 08/01/2005 01:03 AM CDT
Commodities rule!

"We flew fighter jets through school zones while they were keeping busy throwing bullets into homes in the name of methamphetamine."
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/01/2005 08:59 AM CDT
I'm kinda chicken to do commodities heh.

Life is a game and you were put here to entertain me.

It's in the Bag! http://skyela.cjb.cc
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/15/2005 12:08 AM CDT
Commodities are very risky, as last I heard that system is broke... else I'd have given it a go long ago.
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/15/2005 05:09 AM CDT
My brother, back in the day (year or two ago), traded commodities all the time and made a good sum of money.

Just need to know what you're doing and keep an eye out. It is buggy and does have issues, but you can catch a good deal here and there.

---
-Clemency
---
"We flew fighter jets through school zones while they were keeping busy throwing bullets into homes in the name of methamphetamine." -Emberghost
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/15/2005 08:49 AM CDT
Any suggs on commodities? I'm quite foggy on it

Such untamed mystery
Of which blows against the pines
It is the dance
With the grace of the stars
It is the sway
With the light of the moon
And it carries such delight

^ Mystery's Delight ^
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/28/2005 08:22 PM CDT
so to kinda sum up with all the commodities sugestions looks like what needs to happen is

1. there should be more commod pits
2. running contracts should supply commodities pits with a basic suply
3. some kind of usage system where so much of a commoditie is used each "time incrament" possibly some kind of fluxuation to depict the rise and fall of demand
4. need certan items that are only specific to one location and other locations need it
5. some kind of season/weather system to affect suply ex. drought, floud, winter, decent rain, perfect conditions
6. for the cost of a commod to go up when almost sold out and go down when in surplus
7. more storage warehouses to accomidate the additional pits
8. abilitie to have commods transferd from warehouse to warehouse for a fee obviously as well as a time delaye unless run my moonies in the case that you have 300 diamonds you have stored in shard purchased for 550 dok and are sold out and going for 1200 lir in aesry.

i think i got it all but if not add some more
starting to look like a rewrite to the whole commod system as well as some tweeks to the contract system not to mention need a local contract system in Qi and Forfedhdar if there not included already
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/28/2005 10:35 PM CDT
I liked the idea of going to the minister and him giving you a requisition to fill for x amount of y for z payment with a time limit to fill it.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." ~~ G.O.

Re: Commodities Rule! 08/29/2005 01:05 PM CDT
>>I liked the idea of going to the minister and him giving you a requisition to fill for x amount of y for z payment with a time limit to fill it.

that would almost be a contract except in reverce
Re: Commodities Rule! 08/29/2005 01:17 PM CDT
<<that would almost be a contract except in reverce

contracts are rather simple a lot like your real life truck driver. pick goods up, drop off, pick more goods up, drop off...... fall asleep at the wheel, pick up goods.....

Now with requisitions you have to make an investment. first you would have to find where to buy the commodity at the best price. You could try and speculate and buy ahead anticipating the needs of someplace else. If your late your stuck with a huge load of taffelberries in the hot summer sun that are going to spoil unless you can unload them.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." ~~ G.O.

Re: Commodities Rule! 08/29/2005 08:56 PM CDT
Actually, when I suggested requisistions years ago, I meant you get the requisition from the shop owner or their designee, not the minister. Perhaps the shop owner employees an inventory clerk to track their inventory of raw materials. Us Traders would go to that inventory clerk and ask for a requisition, on that requisition would be a list of commodities we need and how long we have to fill that requisition. So spoilage should be input into the complex commodities rewrite.

Note: Remember we have four in game days to one real life day. So spoilage could happen overnight. Hopefully, we'll get the almanacs that we need to help us calculate how long before a crop spoils? I know Godrich was talking about them, not sure if Arnimas will honor that. I leave it in their capable hands.

Regards,

Sortny
Re: Commodities 03/17/2006 11:12 AM CST
I've noticed that every time my trading rank goes up, I get to buy 2 more commodities.

Commodities again. 03/25/2006 02:56 PM CST
If you buy the same commodity at two pits, it seems to get confused as to which one you're trying to sell, and there's nothing I've found that you can do about it.

For example, buy 50 gold at Arthe Dale, then 50 gold at the Crossing. When you go to sell them at Arthe Dale for example there's a good chance it will just say "You bought that here not long ago" and not buy any.

Any chance a GM could have a quick look and make it so it checks for any gold you are carrying instead of giving up after seeing the first one?

Rick.
Re: Commodities again. 03/25/2006 07:06 PM CST
>>If you buy the same commodity at two pits, it seems to get confused as to which one you're trying to sell, and there's nothing I've found that you can do about it.<<

This always bugged me too. It seems to always default to the one at the top of the list on my summary page. I'd like to be able sell one further down the list of the same commod.

Re: Commodities again. 03/26/2006 01:16 PM CST
It always defaults to the first crate on your caravan you can however push your crate to shift its position on the caravan.

Events make the land live and breath over the normalcy of everyday hunting,foraging ect. It is the RP aspect that brings out people to live the game.

GM Shakahn on events in prime
Re: Commodities again. 03/26/2006 01:51 PM CST
Thanks for that WYATTB, I'll try it later. Good enough solution for me.

Spent ages with a GM yesterday fixing a problem with my ledger after losing a caravan of commodities. I've got to agree that the system is a little bit broken now, but not in any really bad way. Still teaches better than contracts for me.

Rick.
Commodities - Caution, Yak will bite! 04/03/2006 01:16 PM CDT
Hi everyone,

Wanted to add my two bits...
First, I love commodities! Almost as good as the stockmarket except bottom line is if you're patient enough it WILL show a profit.

What do I mean by patience? Well if amber is 175 at Leth Deriel, buy it...I can usually sell for around 210. Of course that doesn't mean I sold it the same day. :-)

Use the warehouse, learn to love those drovers that load and unload your crates and store them for you!

CAUTION! This applies primarily to young traders and those who are into just a little speculation now and then...buying 10 apples at 30...and selling at 40....100 profit right? Wrong! Remember you are also paying the service fee..usually 40 or 50. This is charged EACH time you buy....so is it worthwhile to buy those two last bushels of apples? No, you will actually end up losing 30 on it, even if you sell for 10 above what you bought it at.

Remember commodities are about speculation, so if you want to turn a profit take the time to study the pit boards.

Moondaleur
Re: Commodities - Caution, Yak will bite! 04/03/2006 04:09 PM CDT
Since I play in plat the only problem I see at the moment with commodities is that the runners are too slow. It would be nice if they could increse from 1 every hour or so to 3 or 4 every hour or so.

S.C.
Re: Commodities - Caution, Yak will bite! 04/04/2006 12:28 AM CDT
>buying 10 apples at 30...and selling at 40....100 profit right?

I especially love stumbling across a surplus of (lets say) Wheat at a single digit price. Money money money! Even if I have to store it all for a month, it pays for itself when I can sell it; and since I don't trade commods very much compared to contracts the inability to buy more commods at that time doesn't bother me.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire

"Barbarians should not have a bonus to forging."
- DiminishedAngel
Commodities 09/16/2006 03:27 PM CDT
maybe this is too late to be considered for Commodities, but i was kinda hoping they could turn into more like origami rather than brass.

you buy 100 boxes, each with 100 envelopes of 100 count origami paper, you can sell them all back to the guild like a Commodity, or you could pull one at a time out to sell off individually.

this could work for all store bought items, moonies could stock the guilds Commodity pit with gweths even to supply the system for some items...

get the idea?
Commodities Markets 01/22/2009 08:50 AM CST
What are the cities that have commodities trade? I know Crossing and Leth Deriel do. I think Shard and Riverhaven do but not sure. Never traded there.
Re: Commodities Markets 01/22/2009 09:53 AM CST
Crossing, Leth, and Arthe Dale have fully functional commodities pits. Other cities that have areas so labeled are Haven, Lang, Therenborough, Shard, and Fayrin's Rest. The Trader GMs would like to make the other spots work too.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Commodities Markets 01/22/2009 11:32 AM CST
>The Trader GMs would like to make the other spots work too.

I don't know if you can call the original three "working".
Re: Commodities Markets 01/22/2009 01:02 PM CST
>>I don't know if you can call the original three "working".

:;chuckles:: Actually, I don't as such. But other traders have gotten wealthy off of them, so I'm not the one to ask.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Commodities Markets 01/23/2009 02:22 AM CST
We'll be doing a Convoy of the Commodities at this Sundays Social for those interested in attending. Meeting in the Crossings Trader lounge, normal time at 8pm. To save a bit of time, unless there's a request, we will be staying between Crossing and Arthe dale. Bring your caravan or just join us for the experience. :)

On a whim...: http://www.desiredestiny.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Commodities/Contracts 07/18/2009 12:21 PM CDT
Hi guys

What is involved in increasing the value of the contracts you get from the ministers? My trader is only circle 6 at the moment and I'm using commodities to learn trading. I'm a bit worried that the total number of contracts I've run is only about 15 and might be part of the reason I'm not earning much from them.

Thanks
Rick
Re: Commodities/Contracts 07/18/2009 01:06 PM CDT
It's a combination of circle and the total number of contracts you've run. The contracts do get quite profitable as you get to be a higher circle, though.

There will always be some variation, though. And I've noticed some outposts will never pay as well as some others, unless it's by a fluke.

Re: Commodities/Contracts 07/18/2009 02:01 PM CDT
>>It's a combination of circle and the total number of contracts you've run. The contracts do get quite profitable as you get to be a higher circle, though.

Out of curiosity, is the number of contracts run, based on area? IE Zoluren, Theren etc. Or overall? Was thinking how cool it would be, if as a trader, you run a thousand contracts or so in Zoluren, you start getting good contract values. However if you went down to Shard or to Theren, you wouldn't get the same amount of respect, as the ministers don't know you, the way they do in Zoluren. Yeah, I know its probably overall. Just thought it would be a fun addition.

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please reinstall Universe and reboot. +++
Re: Commodities/Contracts 07/18/2009 02:04 PM CDT
My information is only anecdotal- But I've noticed that it seems to be per province. My trader doesn't like trading in Shard because of the broken roads and eidelon steeds, so that may be why she doesn't get good contracts there- though she does get better now than she did as a circle 5 trader. On the other hand, Zoluren and Therengia pay very well indeed.

Re: Commodities/Contracts 07/19/2009 12:56 AM CDT
Per province. You can see your progress in your ledger.