thanks 12/26/2005 04:14 PM CST
Thanks, I did accuse him (no it wasn't Ragran) to the guards, but I thought both could be done. Oh well, can't have it all ;)

Oh and btw, Happy holidays to Ragran too :p I'm always unable to return the whispers because you hide everytime before I get to do anything
Trader social, thanks 03/17/2009 05:41 PM CDT
Thanks for the head's up with the trader socials. Could be able to pick up a few pointers, as well as show off my copious poverty.

Thanks!

Baulkinar, dwarf trader
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/17/2009 06:44 PM CDT
i had located you but by the time i read your post you were evidently out of your difficulty, as you were up near dirge.

1. carry coppers, lots of them.
2. always hit the bank. there's 3 of 'em in zoluren - in leth, in dirge, and in crossing - make sure you hit all of 'em in turn.
3. train up your combats so if in dire need, you can hit bonewolves <skinnable> south of leth, or nyads/dryads <about halfway north of leth - see ranik's maps link on elanthepedia> for some cash. You can take the caravan with you, and as long as you have sufficient time on the contract, you can still make your trades.
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/17/2009 11:17 PM CDT
<<2. always hit the bank. there's 3 of 'em in zoluren - in leth, in dirge, and in crossing - make sure you hit all of 'em in turn.>>

So, when you turn in a oontract, do you go to the bank and "color down" to coppers? I saw Apu's site and recommends pay plat, then pay gold, but in my case I'm paying silvers first. However, I did get first gold from a contract today:

You get a Leth Deriel contract from inside your miner's backpack.
>give clerk
The shipment clerk accepts your contract and peruses it. "Ah, yes," he smiles. "We did order this, didn't we?" With a quick snap of his fingers, he calls for an assistant to help you unload your merchandise for his inspection.
The shipment clerk carefully looks through the inventory which his assistant has placed on a counter.
The shipment clerk finds everything in order with your merchandise. "Not bad!" he says, handing you your payment of 1250 Kronars.

Was for a shipment of 500 pounds of bone dust from Dirge, go figure.

I also just turned 4th circle, so I am working combats; 20 in MB, ME, 12 sling 10 shortbow, 10 brawl, 16 shield and 19 leather...I think I need to move to hogs or something but rats still teach evasion great at 28 ranks.

Thanks again for pointers!

Balkinar, dwarf trader

Kalkomar Axebiter
Grimis Stok
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/18/2009 06:54 AM CDT
since traders are weapon tert and armor secondary, natural critters are the way to go. i recommend rats-badgers and pots out the north gate in the brambles, then hogs, then up to riverhaven and hit boars. then cougars, eels. etc.

natural critters are better for defenses. plus when you skin em and turn in your bundles, you learn trading that way too. as for hitting the banks, if you don't have a money belt turn in the coins in the largest denomination first to pay dues, get a new contract ... don't just "pay clerk". "pay clerk" may be easier to script, but its also easier to be stolen from if you do it that way. leave yourself with enough coppers for ferry fare, even if you end up owing dues. You can either pay down the dues next time you go to that outpost, or run around sans caravan with kraeylysts travel script and pay off outposts after you're done trading for the day and turn in your caravan.

just a few tricks i picked up playing both sides of the equation. :-)
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/18/2009 09:13 AM CDT
On the other hand, since Traders do have a survival req, you might find box-dropping critters to be useful for disarm and picking. But yes, use natural critters to get some skill under your belt first. With what you have, you should be able to take louts easily, or perhaps even the lowest tier of goblins.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/18/2009 10:21 AM CDT
>i recommend rats-badgers and pots out the north gate in the brambles, then hogs, then up to riverhaven and hit boars. then cougars, eels. etc.

Hogs are easier than badgers and pothanits. But otherwise the advice is good.
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/18/2009 10:23 AM CDT
On the other hand, since Traders do have a survival req, you might find box-dropping critters to be useful for disarm and picking.

Opening boxes teaches perception as well plus if yer getting the boxes yer self then you should be able to defend yourself if a critter gets to melee on you while running contracts.

Re: Trader social, thanks 03/20/2009 03:17 AM CDT
Suppose I can chime in here.

My script I wrote from scratch from beginning to end. So that makes me do things that publically available scripts don't.

1. I dodge places known for Thieves cough NE Gate cough
2. When I'm in Dirge, Leth, and Crossing, the script runs me to the bank, deposits everything, and withdraws 1000 bronze (sorry, I'm not dealing in 10000 copper, I'm a weakling unbalanced mid-20s Trader. If I get Str/Sta up eventually I'll probably change it to copper, perhaps in the 30s.) Actually, these are rather long runs from where I have them scripted (to/from Caravansery for Dirge, to/from west of Oxenwaithe Bridge). Dealing with 1000 bronze is a lot to steal.
3. Become a Zoluren citizen. Your ferry fare becomes free, got to pay for the caravan though. You'll never get stranded then, and the 3150 kronar/30 days is pretty negligible, and as much as you'll cross the Segoltha, if not worthwhile, is merely a small loss. Only need to cross it 100 times (50 roundtrips) per month to more than pay for itself.

I haven't noticed all that much theft, oddly enough. Could be that for the most part, I carry 20-30 non-bronze before they get deposited.
Re: Trader social, thanks 03/20/2009 04:30 AM CDT
...and ride a horse. Prevents you from being stalked and makes it harder to steal from you while on one. And all you have to do is add a mount horse and dismount horse at each outpost in your script.

Gidske