The Trader Life 07/04/2004 08:32 PM CDT
I'm not exactly sure this is the right folder to post in, tried general discussions but no reply there so trying here, but I'm thinking about starting a trader just for something completely different from what i've done before. Was wondering if I could get advice on how to train him. Ya know, type of armor how to do stats. That sort of thing. Am leaning towards a Rakash or an Elf. Thinking leather armor and ME. shrugs Any advice would be appreciated.

Xavain
Re: The Trader Life 07/04/2004 09:09 PM CDT
Greetings,

Rolling up a new trader I would put emphasis on the mind stats and charisma. I think trading is one guild that almost any race can join and be effective. Of course don't totally neglect the physical stats but how much you put into them is really determined by how much you will be hunting...to get only what the guildleader wants or as a side thing you might want to advance in for your own fun. Of course agility and reflex are needed for the evasion, foraging and perception that is fundamental for any trader.

Armor is again a personal choice...I chose leather for my elf trader, to help with encumbrance and evasion, as hunting has always been an important side venture for her, but you can trade that for the added protection of a metal armor which might benefit a trader in the long run.

Weapons of course is a personal choice again...but I know I would not start out again with LE and definitely with ME.

Work your lore...across the board, as much as you can stand. Fish for foraging and I'm told it teaches trading when young. Sell branches to Mags, which will teach foraging and trading also. Try to get your coins this way so you can rent caravans when you first start out...the profits and learning will outweigh the waiting to go out and trade.

I hope that answers a little of your query.

Couri, et al
Re: The Trader Life 07/04/2004 09:19 PM CDT
Hello,

Id say the best thing for you to do is pop by the gem shop in the crossing and ask the traders in there. There really isnt a "rule of thumb" or "best pracitise" type principal. You will soon learn that traders are constructed and trained in very different ways.

Anyway, if you see me around Ill be happy to give you "my version". Just ask the questions, you will find most traders more than willing to share their experiences.

See ya around.

Muleskinner Elsulose
Re: The Trader Life 07/04/2004 11:58 PM CDT
I wouldnt worry aout charisma for at least 12 circles. It really wont help you that much untill you can handle gems. at the beginning intelligence and wisdom is much more important.

The guild leader says, "Not yet, not yet, things are not yet prepared for the challenge that you must pass in order to advance beyond this point. Come back another time."

Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 12:41 AM CDT
Thank you all for the info. I'll think on it some more, really don't like having to train survivals but if it's only the three then perhaps that wont be so bad.

Xavain
Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 08:14 AM CDT
and you'll only HAVE to train them to circle 30... and even then your highest one will be 55 which really isnt very much.
Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 09:32 AM CDT
This sounds really bad but I would recommend getting good physical stats to start with and before joining the guild go to riverhaven frogs or crossing ships rats and spend some time capping them for weapons and armor and evasion. maybe even get to where you can handle a goblin before you join. This will really help because once you join the guild the learning rates drop to tert on weapons.

Rupart
Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 09:42 AM CDT
Learning terts before joining the guild is excellent advice. I would also like to recomend training multi as far as you can also. you should as a commoner be able to move through rats/frogs to salt crabs/corpse grubs then on to silverfish and then the gobs north of haven. Also at this time you may want to sit in on some classes in magical devices. Mixing armor in frogs/rats is also a good idea may want to try and work 3 or four skills out of the armor skill set at once.

Even thou you only need evasion to 30th circle you will always need armor and the best way to learn that is to hunt with well rounded combat skills.

The guild leader says, "Not yet, not yet, things are not yet prepared for the challenge that you must pass in order to advance beyond this point. Come back another time."

Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 11:50 AM CDT
Would the learning gain of mixing armor be worth the multi armor hinderance?

Xavain
Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 03:58 PM CDT
<<Would the learning gain of mixing armor be worth the multi armor hinderance?>>

Yes, for a while. Until you get up to things that kill you if they hit you at all (black leucros leap to mind), you can live with hinderance. Particularly if you use a shield.

My personal recommendation is to pick shield as your primary armor, because it is the only one you learn best if you DON'T get hit. BIG advantage, particularly when hits start hurting (see above point). Plus you'll learn it much better than parry as a secondary defense.

Once you get to the point where you have trouble learning in mixed armor because you're getting hurt when you get hit, I would recommend chosing light chain or leather as your armor and, again, keeping shield as your primary for circling.
Re: The Trader Life 07/05/2004 04:01 PM CDT
in rats/frogs it wont matter a bit. it may slow down evasion but you will still learn it. All characters I have rolled up in the last 2 years I have trained all armor to at least 50 before joining a guild with the exception of my future paladin who is in training

Re: The Trader Life 07/10/2004 09:04 AM CDT
Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, was wondering why it's a good idea to do multi armor instead of focusing on one and get it built up rather well. Not arguing or anything I am taking all your advice to heart, just curious.

Xavain
Re: The Trader Life 07/10/2004 09:12 AM CDT
Also, I chose to be an Elf. Currently all stats are at 10 except charisma which is at 12 and I have 227 TDP's left to train with. Any suggestions on what I should train? Really not looking to be a combat trader more than I have to be, doing this for something different and have been a WM for quite a while now, though I plan on taking the suggestions and traning as a commoner for a while.

Xavain

P.S. Appologies for the double posting.
Re: The Trader Life 07/12/2004 03:33 AM CDT
Heyo Xavain,

To these posts you will get a series of answers. In short, my response:

1) Multi armor is good to train young because its easy, locks quick and will make you TPD's. Eventually you will spread into your own primary and secondary armors, but use the youth while you have it I think is the general point.

2) Training stats will depend on what race you are (pluses and minuses to each race), and how you plan to play your trader. For example, if you intend to trade only and merely listen to armor concentrate on mentals and a lil strength/stamina (burden) till 13th. Then up your charisma when you can sell pouches. If you plan to actually go into combat, passed say 25th circle, it would pay to be a little more rounded with your selection (mentals key ealier on though).

Anyways, this will be one of many responses you shall recieve. Just enjoy!

Muleskinner Elsulose