RPing consent 08/23/2003 02:32 PM CDT
So, as Traders we have pretty much no way to deal with someone from a guild that's not weapon-tert giving us consent, either by stealing from us (when the Thugs aren't working or we're not running contracts) or by physically harming us. From what I heard from a staff member today, our best bet is either to just let them get away with it or to report harrassment. I'd much rather RP such a situation out but there is no way.

Anyone have any suggestions? I think the best way would be to allow Traders to hire other players to strongarm people, but this would obviously get out of hand. I could always just say "screw policy" and probably not get caught if I don't do it very often. However, for some reason, i'm inclined to stick within the guidelines of the game, no matter how much I think they stink in this particular situation.

I don't like being told something to the effect of, "You're a Trader. Suck it up, because there's nothing else you can do."

~ Player of Ahkshan

Primary Magic: 5 31.91% clear

You say, "Sweet! Spell slots here I come!"
Re: RPing consent 08/23/2003 03:10 PM CDT
In the 3 years I have been a Trader, I have only been attacked twice. Once when fairly young by a snert trying to steal a shield out of my hand and later by a very dumb thief who was mad I thumped him.

Only the second one was handled by me poorly causing the person some hurt feelings (I suppose) which led to him escalating it.

From my experience in DR, random acts of unprovoked PvP are almost nonexistent. Something somewhere could of been handled better by your character, but recognizing your own fault in a situation is what keeps many from getting to that point.

I am not the most polite, sunshine person in DR; it takes too much discipline for me to try, yet I seem to live a healthy, attack free lifestyle. Living proof if a jerk like me can do it, a little effort on others can do the same.

Gidske
Re: RPing consent 08/23/2003 08:34 PM CDT
For me, I don't have much problem with the way things currently work. For theft, I just take precautions against theft, and when I do catch pickpockets I accuse them to the guards or guild as the case may be. For physical harm, I just follow the tactic of 'don't give anyone consent on you', and report any attacks as they will inevitably be unconsented (I still have never had to resort to reporting anyone, but you can bet that if someone did attack me I'd report them right away and laugh at all the idiots who will complain on the boards that there's something wrong with reporting people who break the rules and deserve to be locked out).

If those aren't good enough for you, there are certainly other ways to get revenge, if you are careful about it. Even though it would be very IC for a Trader, it's blatantly against policy to hire an assassin to take out people who mess with you (and I have to say I wouldn't like to see this change - how to stop people from creating their own Traders to "hire" themselves to kill whoever they want unconsented?). But you could still hire someone to steal from, halt/MB, rob treasure off the hunting ground, or otherwise antagonize your aggressor (and wipe the floor with them if they decide to pick a fight). Just make very sure that it doesn't get to the point where the person you hired is going over the line and starting to be the one harrassing, and you should be alright. Sure, alot of times you won't be able to goad the person into a fight or they'll just go crying to the GMs, but at the very least you ought to be able to get them to leave you alone if they don't want your hired help to go after them for more.

Apu
Re: RPing consent 08/27/2003 07:10 PM CDT
>and report any attacks as they will inevitably be unconsented

I haven't been around for very long, 3 or 4 years, I have yet to see the GMs help anyone whos reported. Including a young trader getting backstabbed (and killed) buy some novice thief (throw away character) not once but twice, the trader had no clue who this person was.

Sorry for the rant....

~A voice from the shadows

You have no chance at hiding from a ship's rat.
Fear the rat!
Re: RPing consent 09/02/2003 05:26 PM CDT
Every time I or someone i've seen nearby has reported unconsented PvP, a GM has showed up and helped. Usually it took a report and an assist, but eventually it got taken care of.

~ Ahk

Re: RPing consent 09/13/2003 05:47 PM CDT
You should either:

1) roleplay it out

2) get GM help

if the conflict is really unconsented. When a certain 'Broker' kept harassing me I asked for GM intervention and she eventually left me alone. However, if you choose to have a GM intervene, you cannot harass, taunt or some cases even talk to the other person, you are basically on a time out from each other.

Think really hard about what you might have said/done to the other person and what you might be able to do to smooth the situation. GM intervention isn't worthless, but it is a LAST resort measure IMHO.

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Re: RPing consent 09/14/2003 04:26 AM CDT
I think I started this thread. The problem wasn't unconsented PvP, it was an issue that I wanted to RP but couldn't because I'm a Trader. I wanted to hire someone to take care of the problem for me but that of course would have been against policy, even though that's how I see a rich but non-combative individual acting in such a situation.

Anyway, what happened next was pretty funny. I decided i'd just take it with good humor and next time I saw the person I sat around and talked to them for a bit. Someone else in the room (I forget who) suggested that we marry. It was pretty darn hilarious.

Unconsented PvP is something that i've had to deal with before and definitely was not what occurred in this case. I do appreciate the advice, just don't want the idea behind my post to be misunderstood.

~ Ahk