Diverging Paths 08/31/2002 09:49 PM CDT
I talked to a neophyte trader last night.
Any traders out there that don't do contracts at all?
Re: Diverging Paths 08/31/2002 10:20 PM CDT
>I talked to a neophyte trader last night. Any traders out there that don't do contracts at all?

I rarely do contracts, I mostly just sell gems

Apu
Re: Diverging Paths 09/01/2002 01:11 AM CDT
'If you spend most your time on the islands like I do, you can't do contracts at all. I might do one or 2 when I visit the mainland to sell wares but most my coin I earn from selling junk at the pawnshop or tips from selling gem pouches. I only skim from pouches when I know it's someone who doesn't tip.
Re: Diverging Paths 09/01/2002 08:45 AM CDT
>>I earn from selling junk at the pawnshop or tips from selling gem pouches.<<

Well, as far as roleplaying a Trader, I find pawning junk equivalent to the average guy at the Flea Market making a profit (anyone can do this) and a truly unique person who worked their way up from nothing and now is worth millions running a successful business trying to make a living at that same flea market. Why would they?

I don't see a Trader being successful by pawning alone, unless they are Role Playing a poor, man-of-the-people type who thinks profit for profit sake is evil. Altruistic motivation for this poor unstable Trader may be laudable but is not what they teach at The Havard School of Business, aka The Crossing Trader Guild.

Just thinking about it makes me a bit light headed....oooo...I need to sit down for a moment...ugh. Just another reason for not living on the islands as a Trader.

Trader Gidske
Re: Diverging Paths 09/01/2002 11:33 AM CDT
Indigoe hasn't done a contract in at least a year. I've only done contracts on 2 days in the last 3-4 years and the sessions were only about 1-2 hours each time. I did rent a caravan about 6 months back but it was only to drag a deader. I went on strike from contract trading before pouches were implemented. I only did contracts on those 2 days to see if I would find it profitable to do them again OR if I would find it fun to trade on the routes again. It wasn't fun. So a total of 4 hours of contracts in the last 3 or 4 years and no contracts in at least a year. Yeah, I'm no longer doing them. And for the record, I didn't circle at all for about a year during that time. :(

~Indigoe~
Re: Diverging Paths 09/01/2002 10:32 PM CDT
As an exception to all the rules...I must say something.

I originally joined the Trader Guild for purely selfish reasons, having had a Warrior Mage that I was very happy with at the time. I tried my hand at a few contracts and was very unimpressed. However, not being one to give up easily I soon found out on my own that you could pawn items for cash and experience. So began the career of Nirveli the Bag Lady.
I scavenged from Zoluren to Shard and back again, picking up a lot of neat nifty things along the way.
I managed to make it to 10th circle and started gem-selling. Due largely to my investing every stray iota into charisma I did very well at gem selling making an average of 4 plat a day in tips.
When Nirveli hit 17th circle the trader tents came out and I worked like mad to make 20th where I stayed until 30th. A combination of selling, contracts and auctioning got me to 40th. Now I am well on my way to 50th and wondering what turn my trading path will take.

Youngsters in the Trader Guild have many ways of earning coin and experience:
Fishing

Pawning

Herb and Branch Collection

Contracts

Commodities

Older Traders get more ways also

Auctioning

Horse Trading

Gem Financing

Selling At the "Flea Market"

And of course all Traders can simply choose to hunt.

In the fullness of time I am sure that Godrich will deliever more nifty systems that will keep us going along such as walking vault pack animals and caravans, and privately own shops. We truly have the most diverse guild for finding your own path.

P.S
Did I mention I made over 1000 plat before I hit 30th circle? 400 of it was before 10th circle.
Re: Diverging Paths 09/08/2002 03:01 PM CDT
pouches, bundles and pawn shop. i've clientile in all these, so keep my trading happily moving when wanted. aswell as the table that occasionally moves trading.

my advice if you dont want to be stuck doing either of these, get the contacts of various guilds, and you can do your own thing and then pop out and lock your trading whenever you need.

~Opulent