Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/02/2002 03:14 AM CDT
So, in the name of research and learning more about the guild itself... I'm going to ask:

what kind of trader are you?

Please be very generic, yet specific about your professional Trader persona.

Please (copy&paste) answer the following questions...

start

Describe yourself (briefly):

List up to 4 adjectives that describe your Trader:

Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild:

List what trader-related activities you:

1. Like to do:

2. Dislike to do:

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic)

Considering the following choices, pick one that:

Teamster
Lapidary/Jeweler
Gem Seller/Fur Seller
Broker
Moneylender
Auctioneer
Financier
Merchant
Craftsman

Pick one that most closely represents what you want your Trader to be (or roleplay as)
...first :
...second :
...third :

If there's one I didn't mention, list here:

Additional comments:

end

Oh, keep in mind, I don't know how to make up questionnaires.. be gentle.

-Veii Xanoir
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/02/2002 04:29 AM CDT
LOL, after talking about this in the gemshop with you, I was planning to post something similar, and was planning on using the exact same subject line :)

I would break the types of Traders up into the following 7 categories, although keep in mind that few Traders fall strictly into one of these categories (and that there are likely other categories that I haven't thought of at the moment)

1 - Teamster - Delivering contracts (local or interprovincial), and buying and selling commodities

2 - Peddler - Buying and selling of items to other players, including both market tables and auctions

3 - Craftsman - Right now the only thing we really have to put here is embroidery or maybe even tanning, although there really should be more, and I'm sure there will be eventually. (Veii wants to put gem-cutting here, but I disagree)

4 - Jeweler - Dealing in selling gem pouches, and I think that gem-cutting goes here.

5 - Financier - There aren't many abilities for this type of Trader yet, but this can include lending of money and financing the gemshop outposts. This is another type of Trader which will probably eventually get much more support

6 - Hunter - Self explanatory. Like I said, no Trader would exclusively be a hunter, but this is definitely one of the categories that Traders often dabble in or avoid completely

7 - Smuggler - Trader dealing in illegal type stuff. Right now you can't really do this yet (does pawning boatloads of stolen crap count?), but I'm sure this would be a popular RP choice if given abilities to back it up.

Now the most obvious omission is where do you put selling bundles. Veii wanted to lump selling bundles and gems together as Wholesaler, and include gem-cutting with being a craftsman. I don't think you can separate gem-cutting and gem selling, they are both part of being a jeweler, and selling bundles really has nothing to do with gems. So I'm leaving bundles out, someone else figure out where to put them :)

As far as my Trader goes, here is how much of each category I would consider myself, on a scale of 0 to 10:

Jeweler - 10
Craftsman - 10
Hunter - 7
Teamster - 5
Financier - 3
Peddler - 0
Smuggler - ?

How would everyone else rank themselves? And can anyone think of other categories that aren't covered by those 7?

Apu
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/02/2002 05:02 AM CDT
start

Describe yourself (briefly): Moo.

List up to 4 adjectives that describe your Trader: Moo. Myak. Meh. Tubedacious.

Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild: Can I say "tedious" nicely?

1. Like to do: Appraise, trade, teach, and mechanicalize.

2. Dislike to do: Appraise, trade, teach, and mechanicalize.

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic) Cut gems. More crafty stuff. Smuggle :). Drink samatak. Master commodities (because they rule). Become the next Merchant Prince.

Considering the following choices, pick one that: Teamster/Peddler/Jeweler/Hunter

Pick one that most closely represents what you want your Trader to be (or roleplay as)
...first : Teamster
...second : Hunter
...third : Peddler

Fly, fly, fly away to a place that's far, far, far, away, away away away...

Um.

Additional comments:

I am a money loving, cow/yak loving, loner.
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/02/2002 05:03 AM CDT
In regards to the previous post. That guy is crazy! What an idiot...

Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/02/2002 08:19 AM CDT
<<Describe yourself (briefly):

dedicated to becoming rich but happy--whistles "if i were a rich s'kra....doobie, doobie, doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doooooo..."

>>List up to 4 adjectives that describe your Trader:

proud--of his ru'at,his profession and his friends

helpful--to others--newbie traders giving guidance to,deaders he's dragged with the caravan, others

acquisitive--wants to garner wealth and power

>>Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild:

organization dedicated to the proposition that greed is good...

>>List what trader-related activities you:

>>1. Like to do:

sell gems for people. like to see them Oooh and Ahhh when they see how much I can get for them. specially in Theren when I sell pouch for empaths.

go out on the road and travel, see the "world"

watch the numbers in my bank book go up

>>2. Dislike to do:

appraise my stuff. I KNOW what it looks like already!
commodities
gambling--not that much of a risk-taker. I prefer the blue-chip stocks to the futures market, too...

>>3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic)

gem-cutting
finance gemshops <i'm not up to that circle yet>
smuggle for fun and profit. LOTS of profit... did I say... Profit? Profit! Profit! <chirr>

>>Considering the following choices, pick one that:

Teamster
Lapidary/Jeweler
Gem Seller/Fur Seller
Broker
Moneylender
Auctioneer
Financier
Merchant
Craftsman

...first : Broker <including smuggling>
...second : Teamster <with more possibilities here than only driving the yak around--I like being "in the know" on new shops being built a la when deliveries are made to new places.
...third : Lapidary <including gem-cutting>

>>If there's one I didn't mention, list here:

hunting for sport--in the manner in which the ooc english gentry chase the foxes...

Additional comments:

Greed is good!

bagsodoks

end
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/02/2002 12:55 PM CDT
Hello, Veii.

>A description of myself:

I guess most people would think I live a boring Trader life. I hunt some, browse the trader tables, do some training of swimming and climbing and such, but mostly I just haul crates around Zoluren. I try to be nice to everyone. I am the opposite of a pack rat so I only have a few items in my vault....that doesn't seem right for a Trader somehow. I'm more of a blue-collar Trader (as in I'd probably not be the loan officer at a bank, but the guy who drove the Brinks truck).

>Adjectives that describe my Trader:

reliable, polite, kind-hearted, and boring.

>My perception of the Trader guild:

I like the guild and the people in it. Generally speaking, we seem to be an older guild, a smaller guild, more mellow, etc. We've got some really nice people in our guild. I used to always hear that we, along with the Bards, were on the back burner. I didn't believe so then and I certainly don't believe so now with all of our improvements and upgrades.

>Trader activities I like to do:

Trade (as in haul crates), appraise

>Trader activities I hate to do:

Teach

>What I'd like to do in the future as a Trader:

I'd like to drive my own caravan, and perhaps one day own my own caravan. I'd also like to be able to have a companion (like a dog or cat) to travel with me on my hauling runs. They could walk beside you or ride on the caravan.

If there were two things I'd like to see done for me and the guild, it's 1) updated titles and 2) privately owned caravans.

>Titles that describe me:

1) Teamster
2) Teamster
3) Teamster

I don't use Teamster because it sounds too much to me like a 20th century term (I know it's not, but that's how I perceive it). When I see "Teamster," I think of 18-wheelers and Jimmy Hoffa. I'd like to see a loadmaster or hauler title. That's really the only title that would fit me.

* Mapache, singing "windin' your way down on Clanthew street, light in your head and dead on your feet, well another crazy day, you'll drink the night away and forget about everything..."
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/03/2002 12:48 PM CDT
>And can anyone think of other categories that aren't covered by those 7?

Traveler/Mariner

>List what trader-related activities you:

1. Like to do: Contract trading, gem pouch sales, bundle sales, market tables, fill out Veii's forms.

2. Dislike to do: Ride on that dratted gondola with a loaded caravan.

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic) Import/export business, trade route of goods, Jewelry making & gem cutting.

>Considering the following choices, pick one that:

>Teamster, Lapidary/Jeweler, Gem Seller/Fur Seller, Broker, Moneylender, Auctioneer, Financier, Merchant, Craftsman

Of these - Mariner ;)

Using a modified Apu Scale and saying what I would like to do as compared to what I currrently do:

Gem Sales/Furrier - 10 with a Kreg, 8 in a gem shop with other people to talk to, 6 in a gem shop by myself with my mortar and lute.

Craftsman/Jeweler - 10

Hunter - 10 But I need critter appraisal lessons. : p

Teamster - 10 Sometimes this just hits the spot.

Peddler - 9 Travelling with a pack full of supplies, and/or market tables.

Smuggler - 10 -- I dunno, but it sounds interesting and like as though it might involve BOATS!

Moneylender - 0 (This just never works out)

Auctioneer - 1 (to do occasionally but not as a regular thing)

Financier - 1 (See above)

Miryam, Variety is the spice of life

P.S. How do you make a list on here without spaces between the entries?
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/03/2002 01:41 PM CDT
You
put
a
space
infront
of the
line

~Alonce
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/03/2002 02:21 PM CDT
>Traveler/Mariner

What would the Mariner do that isn't included in Teamster (or smuggler) just with boats involved? I guess it all depends on what kind of systems they create for boats, maybe there could be stuff like battling pirates to steal their treasure or discovering new islands with hidden treasure or something. Right now I think all Mariner Traders have for supporting abilities are fishing and selling fish for bronzes :)

>P.S. How do you make a list on here without spaces between the entries?

Hit enter once and start each line with a space

Kinda
This

Apu
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/06/2002 05:59 PM CDT
start

I AM BEAUTIFUL

*Making money...thats not an adjective though right?

item collector, gem collector, jeweller, fashion consultant (hey one can dream right?)

**I love the Trader's Guild! ::does go-go eyes for Godrich, Equity and Ilanya::

I believe the trader's guild has moved forward like a football player does for the goal. We've moved so fast in so little, it makes up for the stagnant times we've had. I think the Trader's Guild is providing the best it has for its guild members.

**Sell Gem pouches, buy gem pouches, shop (a bad thing for traders I know...its the selling part I don't have the patience for)

1. Like to do:

**Shop

2. Dislike to do:

**Spend

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic) Cut gems. More crafty stuff. Smuggle :).

*I"d like to be able to cut gems and make jewelry. Is that so hard to understand?

Teamster/Peddler/Jeweler/Hunter

...first : jeweller
...second : peddler
...third : teamster

**Own my own ship

Additional comments:

**I am Annandale, Lady Proprietress of "My Two Kronars!" ~ The Trader's Outpost

www.mytwokronars.com
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/07/2002 01:43 PM CDT

Pit lovin' Rakash gurrrl!

Oh we're a guild? Only time I see other Traders is at the pits or on the roads, never time to really talk to anyone unless they're waiting at Pits for something to drop!

What trader-related activities you: Commods!

1. Like to do:
Umm, more commds and learn Trading

2. Dislike to do:

Hunt and learn silly fighting skills grunts

Love to buy my own caravan!

~Benetta~
(Who skipped one of two, Katamba is driving me nuts!)

Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/10/2002 10:34 AM CDT
Describe yourself (briefly): cute, short, reddish hair and green eyes.

List up to 4 adjectives that describe your Trader: playful, hard-working, stubborn, tight-fisted

Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild: I think that traders are proud of the guild, and supportive of each other.

1. Like to do: trade, make money, travel

2. Dislike to do: appraise

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic) own a caravan, more tradeskills, own a shop

Teamster
Lapidary/Jeweler
Gem Seller/Fur Seller
Broker
Moneylender
Auctioneer
Financier
Merchant
Craftsman

...first : Merchant
...second : Craftswoman
...third : Moneylender

Additional comments: Oh in answer to the other question...

I'm a halfling female, circle 33, currently trading in Therengia and relearning the craft :)
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/14/2002 02:32 PM CDT
Describe yourself (briefly): My name is Zemon, I'm a Skra' who was born in the Middens 36 years and 36 circles ago to a Bard and Ranger(now deceased). My family was as poor as dirt. Thus my desire for wealth. The funny thing is, I aint that wealthy.

List up to 4 adjectives that describe your Trader: Friendly, Moody, Greedy, Blunt(interpret that as you may)

I only really know a few of you since I tend to stick to myself, however I see our guild as a fairly decent group of folks, each with our own agendas. More or less we all desire wealth I figure, with our own means to that end. Be it funny business or hard honest work. Perhaps a bit of both? Overall, we are a small but determined group with some very resourceful members and a few like me who could use a clue.

1. Like to do: Things that make me rich. Interprov's, Auctions, hunting and traveling. Doing what I can for the local population of where ever I happen to wake up.

2. Dislike to do: Teach. Ride the Gondola in Ithili

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic)...Be the captain of my own caravan and/or ship and transport goods and people to and from port to port. I'd like some servants to boss around that would do minor tasks for me and maybe a dog to train to fetch my slippers.

Teamster
Lapidary/Jeweler
Gem Seller/Fur Seller
Broker
Moneylender
Auctioneer
Financier
Merchant
Craftsman

...first : Teamster
...second : Auctioneer
...third : Gemseller

If there's one I didn't mention, list here: Mariner,

Additional comments:
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/15/2002 03:30 AM CDT
Great idea, this survey has been a good intro to some traders I haven't formally met. As for Malbog,....

A rather rotund male Tog drapped with hides and furs of various types

Big, fat, smelly and fairly friendly

A swank hall where the poncy types gather to get richer, I like it there, the food is ace!

Like to do:

Hunt, sell bundles, run contracts and trade commods

Dislike to do:

Don't dislike much, but what's all the fuss over colored stones?

Would like to do in the future as a Trader:

would like to some day have a Fur trading post of me own

Fur Seller, teamster, craftsman

You mentioned Fur Seller, but what about Furrier, a trapper/trader/craftsman of sorts

Additional comments:

My thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this string - more roleplaying, less BS!
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/15/2002 06:49 PM CDT
I am Nirveli Visolela, the sole Lady Tog Auctioneer. I was born near El Bains to poor immigrants from Ratha but was raised by River Elves. I moved to Crossing in the Year of the Silver Unicorn (364 AV).

I am primarily a Peddlar that is how I gained my first 20 circles with a combination of gem brokerring, scavenging and commdoity speculation. I did my next 10 circles solely on selling goods at the market tables.
Now I dabble in brokering, auctioning and interprovincial trading.

I dislike being tied down to one specific trade and like being able to do whatever strikes my fancy.
I like being able to spend my money.

I look forward to tailoring and gem cutting someday rather than finding merchants to bring my designs to life I hope to be able to do it myself. I look forward to being able to own my own shop someday.

My favorite GMs are:
Godrich who turned the guild around
Equity who gave us so many neat things
Illayana whoes name I never get right
Tessima who is probably sick of seeing my name in her mail box bu t manages not to kill me anyway
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 06/21/2002 01:24 AM CDT
Ya'll done did it now, so you wanna know bout ole Peso, well here goes.

>>Describe yourself (briefly):

Peso Goodbringer of the Peso Pit Stop, here for your every need. Ah enjoy showing the world that you don't need to be a barbarian to pulp the hell outta a creature.

>>List up to 4 adjectives that describe your Trader:

the Pulper, the Cad, the Corrigable, but above all the Fair.

>>Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild:

Ah see us doin a good job of supplyin the world of much needed things to survive in every day life, and because of such, are the most under-appreciated people in Elanthia.

>>List what trader-related activities you:

1. Like to do: Run mah Pit Stop

2. Dislike to do: Worry about money, don't care about it, must pulp.

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic) Own mah own land and/or building/shack/whatever to house my solely owned Pit Stop

>>Considering the following choices, pick one that:

I'll use that Apu system thingy something
Teamster 6
Lapidary/Jeweler 10 if gem cutting comes out
Gem Seller/Fur Seller 8/1
Broker 10, always wares for sale at mah pit stop
Moneylender 0, get a job ya bums
Auctioneer 5 when ah get another 2 levels
Financier 10, ah work hard at financin mah pit stop
Merchant 10, see above
Craftsman 10, see jeweler

>>Pick one that most closely represents what you want your Trader to be (or roleplay as)

...second : Fighter
...third : Gem Seller

>>If there's one I didn't mention, list here:
Fighter, ah added it already.

Additional comments:
Hop on by the Peso Pit Stop for all your needs and share a drink with ole Peso
end

Peso Goodbringer, Until our next deal
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 12/24/2002 03:41 PM CST
Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild: We're the intelligent elitists whom everyone either wishes they were or wishes they were friends with.

1. Like to do: Trade, juggle & appraise.

2. Dislike to do: Evade anything that enjoys smacking me around.

3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic) Own a villa in the south of Shard, fund a yak farm, display my goodies/antiquities to the realm.

4. Pick one that most closely represents what you want your Trader to be (or roleplay as)
...second : Financier
...third : Moneylender

Laticia Isadore, the aspiring Yak Mogul
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 12/24/2002 06:01 PM CST
<<Describe, in your own words, your (or traders) perception of the Traders Guild: >>

For my trader, the guild is the "family business", as he roleplays being part of Sraan Mhhg, which was the predominant merchant clan among the S'kra Mur. The clan, the ru'at, and the coins.

<<List what trader-related activities you:>>

<<1. Like to do: >>

I actually enjoy contract trading. Its interesting to get out on the road and hear all the conversations on the road as I go by.

<<2. Dislike to do: >>

Appraise stuff.

<<3. Would like to do in the future as a Trader: (specific or generic)>>

Own my own merchant ship and be able to trade back and forth to the islands. I still think of that would be sort of like the old "Federation" game -- except naturally the trader ships would be sea-based rather than space fantasy. That was sort of my intention when I first started playing, and roled up a trader as my first character.

4. Pick one that most closely represents what you want your Trader to be (or roleplay as)

Hmm, I'd have to say none of those listed <moneylender,financier,merchant>--unless you make it a traveling merchant, not a storekeeper. To me I like the idea similar to the RL historical Venetian Venici. They explored new lands and traded at the same time. Sort of like the old silk trade to the east.

Bagsodoks
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 12/25/2002 02:56 AM CST
I wanna play too.

1. Like to do:

-Make money..show off with my money..flirt with S'kra woman using my money..hmm..if I could eat these platinums coins I would too.

2. Dislike to do:

Hunt, what was Imaar thinking?! Blood on my freshly clean, Banker's Blend scented tunic?! Eee gads!!

Own an island..maybe a provice..hmm..maybe just take over Musparl'i ..yeah I'll settle for that.. I'm still thinking about running for mayor of Musparl'i if not..then just be the great looking, always rich, always unresistable S'kra that I am. And have mini-Stired's running around my diamond floored mansion.

First: {not on your list} King.
Second: Sea-Merchant na..sounds to wimpy, I want to own a pirate ship, take over every province..and all that piratey stuff..cept for the peg leg..I like my scaly toes..
Third: [If I cant get those two] I wanna own a gambling resort, slots, gor'tog fights..S'kra woman mud wrestling.. you name it.

Not Shaken.
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 01/08/2003 06:20 AM CST
hehe, gotta throw in my two coppers..

1. Sell stuff! even when i'm rarely doing contracts i'm checking out my inventory on mules <g> damn but if only i could drag one of those table markets out with me, hehe

2. That bloomin combat stuff, i've been putting it off for 'ages' now, we live such a different life from those other barbaric guilds.. i dont want to get my finery bloody.. grumble..

3. OWN A SHOP! rwar .. and a ship.. ohh, defintly, sail off to far seas, and come back, dock, and unload my goods for my shop (beams), hire mercenaries to defend my ships from those doirty pirates, and then unload me goods using caravans and such whilst the populace are shouting somthin like "yay, Opulent has arrived with new goods" hehehe .. long way to go .. but its my personal number 1 dream.

4. Merchant. defintly. Sail the high seas looking for riches and goods to bring back! dang, got me all hyped up now..
Re: Hey, what kind of Trader are you? 02/11/2003 12:46 PM CST
1. Like to do:

Earn a living, build a castle with all my platinum coins.

Making fun of Canten.

Have a new currency named after me.

Get my own ship to sail around the seas with my other saucy wenches.

Hunting is good too :)

2. Dislike to do:

Cooking, cleaning. I'll just afford someone else to do that for me <nod>

Watch Apu own a shop and buy it from him immediately <ducks>. That will be awesome when you guys can get your own shops though.

-Ruffles