Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 05:23 AM CDT
Greetings!

I still haven't figured out the answer to this one myself. I still tell people I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
This week's question is: What profession would you be if you had the chance and know what you know now? No cheating on this one and saying you are already!

I've been a nurse and owned a small business for a few years but I always wanted to be a lawyer. I know, I know...no lawyer jokes. Unfortunately law school didn't fit into the mothers plan which was for me to be a nurse. I've always said someday...but it's still not arrived.

Player of Couri
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 06:01 AM CDT
If I could be something completely unrealistic (for me), I'd be a fashion/costume designer. Yes, I tend to be quite the geek, but I'm such a girl. I'm always utterly amazed at the fantasy/period clothing designed for movies (LOTR, Ever After, Vanity Fair, etc) and wish I could sew more than a simple skirt.

There's a career somewhat within my reach, but I just can't bring myself to follow it -- optometry. I've worn glasses since age 6 (really, really thick ones) and everyone always said I'd be an eye doctor when I grew up. Ever since I had LASIK surgery three years ago, I've been in love. I now work for an ophthalmologist and my husband is in optometry school. But for me to become an O.D. myself... I just don't see it happening. I'd still have to finish my undergraduate degree for three more years and then undergo four years of optometry school. By the time I graduated, I wouldn't have any time to have a life. I'm hoping to travel a lot and then start a family, and by that time it'd be much later than I'm hoping. So I'll just live vicariously through my husband and work alongside him in his practice when he graduates.

~ the player of Gypsy Merchant Nabihle

"Come fairies, take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance
Upon the mountains like a flame." -- W.B. Yeats
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 07:31 AM CDT
>No cheating on this one and saying you are already!

No fair not letting us cheat! In all honesty, in some form or another, I'm doing everything I love... I do web, application and database development during the days because programming and logic is a blast for me, I teach college courses as night because I love sharing that information with others, and often times I perform with a concert band and traditional irish/Ren Faire groups.

But, if I had to pick something outside of that, I'd probably have to go with either a pilot of some sort or a Kung Fu Master.

Wynder/Faethe
--
The Crossroads of Elanthia
http://dr.warcry.com/
Site Manager

For the latest announcements, news, hints, tips, guides and information, stop by today!
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 09:07 AM CDT
>profession would you be if you had the chance and know what you know now?

I'd get my PharmD. Engineering didn't pan out after half a dozen years and I'd like something I could set my own hours on, or at least not have to work ten hours a day, six days a week, until I die. <wry grin>
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 10:31 AM CDT
<<>I always wanted to be a lawyer.

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that being a lawyer is a lot more boring than most people realize. It's a lot of paperwork and reading, and the really good ones don't actually practice a lot of law . . . they end up spending a lot of time bringing in business. However, those moments in court are a heckuva lot of fun and usually make the rest of it worth while.

If I had it to do over and could be anything (and since I can't choose lawyer for the purposes of this answer), I'd probably be an architect. I love designing things, and before law school, I actually had some amount of creativity. Although I dislike mathematics (including geometry), I'm pretty good at it, and would probably have done well as an architect.

_______
Llyldoryn
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 11:58 AM CDT
My first choice if I could afford it a profesional student. After that A marine biologist.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." ~~ G.O.

Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/20/2005 09:14 PM CDT
Something with animals, but not a vet. Did the vet tech thing. Most of it was fun, but some of it I just don't have the stomach for. First choice, operating a stable. Second choice, working with dogs, probably in SAR (Search and Rescue) training/handling. Mostly because I would love to be able to take my dog to work with me. :)
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/21/2005 06:57 AM CDT
A wildly successful published author - and by published I mean specifically, my books on other people's shelves, and my name a household word like, oh, the really good ones. Or even the semi-good ones. I've got stuff "published" online and people see it but... I wanna book, damnit. Several. LOTS!

Yeah, working on it... mostly...

Because Trading is an art, baby.
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/21/2005 06:59 PM CDT
i would have liked to be a professional hockey player. but that dream has been shattered now that's there no nhl. oh, plus i don't know how to skate, having lived in florida my entire life.

i started my career as an engineer. but then i did the math - at a billing rate of $150/hr someone was getting rich and it wasn't me. so i quit that gig.

so, i guess my current job really isn't that bad - telemarketer!

"Simutronics' design motto is 'More Fun. Less Tedium.'"
-Hero Journey FAQ

"Honest men don't make no coin, and coin don't make no honest man..."
-Typhi, or prolly someone smarter
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/23/2005 11:43 AM CDT
What Ilanya said.

I want to be a published author and if not a household name, at least have a devoted following of readers.

A dark brown Zoluren marnet squeaks with excitement as it pursues a small insect across the surface of the water. A final lunge brings the hapless creature into the marnet's mouth where it is rapidly consumed.
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/24/2005 12:37 AM CDT
When I grow up I want to be a Mum.

I'm currently an unemployed housewife due to the fact that I can't find a job that I like and an unable to get pregnant.

I've been everything from soldier, truck driver, shop assistant, office admin, warehouse - distribution, stores, factory worker. And numerous others that I've just forgotten.
But through all that, I'd have traded anything (even the jobs at $24per hour) to have been able to carry a baby to full term and be a Mum.

Kobbie.

I'm juggling, trading and also trading in juggling.
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/24/2005 05:36 AM CDT
Kobmand,

I hope you are able to get what you want someday.

Player of Couri
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/24/2005 08:58 AM CDT
Kobmand,

Hugs -- add my best wishes as well.

-Vaeldriil

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/24/2005 07:23 PM CDT
I wish I could be a mother too but, at 32 I don't think that's going to happen. This year will be my husband and I's 11th childless year :(

A dark brown Zoluren marnet squeaks with excitement as it pursues a small insect across the surface of the water. A final lunge brings the hapless creature into the marnet's mouth where it is rapidly consumed.
Re: Week 12-What do you want to be when you grow up? 04/25/2005 07:54 AM CDT
I wish I could be a mother too but, at 32 I don't think that's going to happen. This year will be my husband and I's 11th childless year :(

My condolences. We only decided on having children about 6 years ago and IVF for only 4 or 5 of that.
We do however have 4 cats and 2 dogs.
They are our children for now.
And we are also able to 'borrow' children from birth to 16 years of age (nieces and nephews - my sisters are very fertile) so that's nice too.

Kobbie.

I'm juggling, trading and also trading in juggling.