Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 03:47 PM CDT
If there were a Trader spell that created a little crafting-related pet, what sort of menial tasks would you want to give it?

GM Grejuva
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 04:02 PM CDT
*Fetch items from the nearest crafting hall (thread, oil, brushes, etc). You hand it some coins, it goes and makes the purchase for you.

*Repair tools given to it.

*Hold supplies (oils, brushes, handles, etc).

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 04:15 PM CDT

I think the above post hits all the highlights - storage, repair, purchasing (especially for crafting outside societies - oops, out of glue, better send my imp back to town for it.).

Pipe-dream ability is to send it off gathering, small volumes/quantities of precious material and below only. But very occasionally it comes racing back, tail wagging, with a scrap of kertig or goldwood. Set it to prep ingredients for alchemy.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 04:35 PM CDT
look for a coin someone may have dropped.

if near fishing spot have it fish.

But yes Squanto mentioned best ones.

I foresee online gaming changing when there are good audio-visual links connecting the participants, thus approximating play in a face-to-face group. Gary Gygax
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=Gamin
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 04:50 PM CDT
It would be nice if you could give it a deed to redeem.

ā€œIā€™m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.ā€
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 04:50 PM CDT
I like the idea of holding supplies/tools shadow servant style, but only accepting crafting items that you could deed? If they couldn't fetch consumables, it would be neat if they could hold stacker items like the ones from Beyond the Barrier as well since those are way too heavy to carry around.

Other ideas:

* Drying herbs: pyramids are a pain without the sun. Maybe the pet could act as a light source for a pyramid during cloudy weather or night time?
* Provide a very small boost to all crafting skills
* Decrease crafting roundtimes or occasionally jump in and do the step for you eliminating roundtime
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 05:08 PM CDT
A pet light source for a pyramid or all pyramids in the room would be amazing.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 05:34 PM CDT
I like the processing ideas.
-Take raw nuggets and make ingots.
-Process branches and logs into lumber.
-Dry/crush herbs.
-Make mechanisms for tinkering from ingots.

Storage of materials would really help. Maybe have them deed/redeem deeds.

Repair tools.

Any of this would be nice. All of it would be great!
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 06:37 PM CDT

> If there were a Trader spell that created a little crafting-related pet, what sort of menial tasks would you want to give it?

It's hard to give good requests as I don't know what kind of pet it'll be, but I love the idea. Ideas and goals and potential justifications below.

Crafting Consumables and tools - Goal: insure you always have low-grade consumables to craft any time, anywhere, and manage item count. Swiss army knife/ Summon Weapon of tools.
- Your pet provides base consumables. Polish, oil, brushes and other consumables. Assuming this is an extra planar pet of some kind which can do things that don't make sense in the normal world of physics. Messaging: Get pet = You grab your pet, which folds in on itself to become a miniature version within your <empty hand>. Picking it up with a full hand will cause it to do a fluff move. Folds into a single point before expanding outwards again or something. Turn pet to <tool> = you push and pull your pet until it takes on the form of a <tool>. You can keep turning it as many times as you want. It's a medium quality tool, max store bought. If it's a consumable (meta spell required?) then there's a line of about it defying physics or otherwise the tools you created are magically unaffected. If left alone for 120 seconds, it'll revert to its natural form. There could even be metaspells or even technique slots to improve the quality of the tools themselves.

Free assembly - Goal: Reduce item count/weight/crafting time.
- You can stock it up with materials that would normally be used for assembly. Messaging: You hand your unfinished blade to <pet>. In a dervish of quick maneuvers, it assembles the blade and hilt before handing it back to you. You can see that there are [x hilts remaining] in the pack on your <pet>'s back. --- <give pet with a purchased assembly material> You carefully tuck a hilt into the pack on your <pet>'s back. It looks mildly annoyed at being shuffled around.

Enlightenment buff - Goal: reduce crafting RT to allow more reasonable training of all/most crafts.
- Your pet gives you a passive buff that reduces crafting RT by 10-20% at all times. This lets traders train more crafts.

Free assembly - Goal: reduce item count/weight/ease crafting
- It will fetch the item you need to finish your product. If it's a small animal, then maybe it steals it.

Material Gatherer - Goal: Easing the cost of work-order crafting.
- Have it gather raw, not rare, materials based on my current outdoorsmanship and scholarship ability for a task. Something like, "You instruct your <pet> on the finer points of mining and ask it to find a few nuggets for you". <pause 20 seconds>. Quantity and volume depends on how well you've instructed it. If these pets are the zenzics then the trader can ask them for ores and they'll generate a nugget. Or we can give them a nugget or ingot and they'll give us back two volumes with a slight quality drop (% depends on power of the pet/trader's negotiation).

Status Symbol - Goal: Reduce prestige decay, improve money from work-orders, and speed work-order processing (train more crafts)
- Having the pet out is a status symbol. It slows or stops your prestige loss.
- Having the pet out would impress the task-master who can give you special work-orders for a trader of your standing (1 item minimum rather than 2, pays like you turned in 5, bonus trading xp, timer).

Improve material quality - Goal: Make it easier to do hard work orders.
- The pet basically "purifies" the reagent somehow. Maybe give it a long timer, but giving it a crafting material can either increase the quality, or turn the material into one with a higher monetary value (ie: create gold from iron, or haralun from platinum).

Reduce wait times - Goal: Pet removes the time it takes to do some time-based tasks
- Ex: Give it a pyramid and it will dry them immediately.
- Give it a skin, and it will dry it immediately.

Truffle Pig, or equivalent - Goal: Higher chance at high-quality goods.
- Command your pet to force a gathering room to respawn. It'll get tired if it spawns a rare one. Moderately long CD to prevent market flooding.

Pet does prep work - Goal: Trader no longer has to do work to prepare reagents.
- Converts raw herbs to dried herbs
- Converts raw pelts and bones to usable parts.
- Converts threads to cloth.

Pet reclaims materials - Goal: Combine cloth, but the rest is a perk.
- Give a pet two thin cloth and it'll turn it into a regular cloth. Repeat all the way up to heavy.
- Same for thread.
- You can give them a heavy cloth and they'll create two thick cloth, and so on down to thin.

And please make these alterable like shadow servants.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 06:39 PM CDT

And on the consumables, it would also be nice if it could become an anvil and a crucible wherever you are.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 08:28 PM CDT
Others have given these ideas already for the most part; I just wanted to say which would be most important to me. Caveat: I am more of a gatherer than a crafter at this moment (though I hope to change that eventually), so there may be some more crafting-focused ideas that will work well too.

- Redeem deeds. I often find myself in my shop wanting to redeem a deed for a piece of large armor, and I have to run off to do it. Making shop back rooms available for deed reclaiming would solve this problem too, but doing so with the pet would allow crafting in more remote regions.
- Resupply basic materials. When out gathering wood or ore, it's easy to run out of deeds quickly. I'd love to be able to get some directly from the pet, don't mind if I have to pay. Deeds, oil, and brushes are the main ones for me but I'm sure there are others. If it can't be an infinite source, it would still help if it could just store giant stacks of those things.
- Hold tools. Traders are not always the strongest of people, and it would be a huge help just to be able to have storage space for some tools. 30 slots would be more than enough.
- Store deeded materials. If I could fill it up with deeded material when gathering, I could hold more material before returning home!
- Process raw materials. If I could process the raw materials during gathering, I could gather more right away!
- Reduce RT. Of course this would be helpful for any task.
- Prestige Bonus. Allows us to earn more prestige or keep from decaying.
- Truffle finding. It would be neat if, when out gathering, I'd get a few more of the "rare single drop" type event. For example, when mining any metal, there's currently a very small chance that I'll get a tiny piece of some other, rare metal. Maybe with the pet that chance is doubled.

Repairing tools is something I can do myself, but I suppose if the pet could do it I would save the crafting slots. I could also see purifying or gathering basic materials as good for crafting, as well as reducing drying times.

You might also consider letting us "align" the pet toward our particular craft (or gathering), giving it features useful for that craft.

Also, please allow us a refined option for the pet. Well, ideally options for all styles, but my style is more refined so I am requesting for that reason. :)

- Navesi
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/21/2017 09:48 PM CDT

A few more, again, some of these may be OP or contradict each other.

- Mobile Crafting. Psychic link to the pet. We can have it craft using our commands with our tools with materials we left it (we get the RT to give the order) anywhere we are. Put it inside of our caravan. We can be in combat, traveling with the caravan, or listening to a class in an RP event, and then tell <pet> to pound ingot. RT: 19s.

- Fixing mistakes. If we create a flaw in the thing we're making, it has a %chance to fix that flaw for us. That allows us to work at the edge of our ability to do mostly hard work-orders.

- "Tutorials". Improve our ability when studying a pattern (effectively a +crafting skill that stacks with other +crafting skills).

- Assigning Workorders. Higher value. Lower quantity (primarily to focus on trading), and it could even give us the materials to use.

- Teacher. Kind of crazy idea, but let it teach us random skills while we craft. It reduces the penalty for being a primary crafter. We can give it a skill set, and then it gives us enough bits to reach persuing in random skills of that skillset. One skill at a time, for balance.

- Shared prestige. When we complete one workorder, we get prestige with every craft.

- Tool Empowering. We give it a tool, it empowers the tool with some +bonus, and gives it back to us. CD = Duration. It can exceed speed caps.

- Item Exchange. Another way to speed up work orders. We craft an item that uses x volumes. We turn our book to a new item with volume z, give the pet the book, give it the crafted item, and then it gives us a sack with y items of the item mentioned in the book (of lower or equal skill) where y = x/z rounded down.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/22/2017 02:07 AM CDT
Thanks all. Lots of interesting ideas to explore.

>>Also, please allow us a refined option for the pet.

Could you explain this one?

GM Grejuva
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/22/2017 06:37 AM CDT
I think she means how it looks? That was my take-away.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/22/2017 08:23 AM CDT

> I think she means how it looks? That was my take-away.

Mine too, and +1 for demeanors, if possible. I can work around it if this would mean no pet, because I LOVE this idea, but it's a nice to have.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/22/2017 04:03 PM CDT
>>Also, please allow us a refined option for the pet.

>Could you explain this one?

Basically, I am asking for an option for the pet to look graceful, refined, or ultimately just not silly. If we have to have a rat making a nest in our hair to gain the benefits, that would put me in a difficult spot. Similarly for a pig, or a singing boggle, or what have you. I realize the chances of those things are slim but I wanted to make my voice heard just in case!

- Navesi
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/22/2017 04:45 PM CDT
Visually style-wise a pet along the lines of Bit from the original Tron movie would be cool.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Hypothetical Spell 10/22/2017 08:46 PM CDT

> Visually style-wise a pet along the lines of Bit from the original Tron movie would be cool.

I could get behind this. Something along the lines of Jarvis, alfrid, or Mr Belvedere would be nice too. Or maybe a demeanor verb that changes the messaging. You could have the Tsundere pet, the silent protaganist pet, the solemn butler pet, or the insane jester pet. Again, assuming some of these may be transformations or skins to be purchased later.

However, I kind of hope that we end up with a pet Zenzic or Starcrasher or other extraplanar pet.

Speaking of which, few more ideas following this theme of physics defying awesomeness

- Bonus Starlight Aura - Following the theme of instruments giving mojo to a bard, the pet could "shower us with praise" when we complete a work-order, refilling a part of our starlight aura.

- Rift to a forge - The planar creature can open a rift that takes us to the nearest (or even random) forge or crafting society. We could peer through it.

- Free deeds - The pet will deed or redeem things we give it, removing the need or cost of deed packets anywhere.

- Material morphing - The pet will convert materials of one type into materials of another type. Hold ore, ask pet for bones, the pet gets the ore and converts it into a bone of the same rarity with slightly reduced quality.

- Second register - The pet can act like a deed register, or upon summoning it the first time it will permenantly increase our register to 100 rather than 50.

- Shop maintenance - Not exactly crafting, but we could have the pet open up our shop for us if we're far away and give us access to the shop verb. Or it can open a rift to our shop's door from anywhere. It remains open for 5 minutes, allowing us to go in and out or in and stay. Only we can enter. Anyone else dies miserably. Moon mages of course will throw themselves at it without mercy, but we'll make due. Maybe charge us a cleaning fee, for fun.