Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 09:09 AM CDT

Any chance on a trader spell that does a save vs will or something against would be thieves? Spell contest could result in a few different things, the thief overcomes spell and picks as normal, thief doesn't overcome spell but thinks he has gotten some coins/gems, and thief terribly fails against spell and actually pays his coins to the intended target? The spell could perhaps message the trader of the attempt, or not, I really don't mind either way in this regard.

Thief slips his hand quietly into Trader's pockets and withdraws some coins.

Thief slips his hand quietly into Trader's and withdraws some coins, only to watch in dismay as they disappear into a wisp of smoke .

Thief slips his hand quietly into Trader's pocket and withdraws some coins. Moments later Thief blinks in confusion realizing their own coin purse is lighter than they remember.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 09:20 AM CDT
I like that.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 09:51 AM CDT

I like the idea of exploding coins, personally. I want there to be more than wisp. I want a light show.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 10:11 AM CDT
If traders get exploding coins spell, then there needs to be some pretty hefty penalty to them.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 10:23 AM CDT

Meh. Just make it a skill check. The trader version of hands of justice.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 10:56 AM CDT

I feel exploding coins would sort of go against the nature of the spell idea. The concept is that many lunar spells deal with smoke and mirrors type magic. A will contest against a thief that sends them on their way happily, even if unwarranted, would seem more trader like and even lunar magic like, than a spell that explodes. Further, when you start adding damage would it not move over to targeting instead of utility? The fact that stealing already opens up pvp if trader wants is enough, a spell that blows open a thief would likely warrant retaliation in return.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 11:02 AM CDT
>Further, when you start adding damage would it not move over to targeting instead of utility? The fact that stealing already opens up pvp if trader wants is enough, a spell that blows open a thief would likely warrant retaliation in return.

You know, I'm not really sure how a DR time bomb spell would work. I want to say it would actually be utility since you're not targeting an enemy, debilitating something, or augmenting something (...I guess we could make a vague end run argument that you were 'warding' your pockets for giggles), so I'd think it would be utility.

Or possibly a metaspell on an existing aug/uti/ward spell, like the WM weapons?
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 11:23 AM CDT
I posted up an idea for warmage elemental land mines. similar system could work for trader pockets.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 11:36 AM CDT
Variants of this idea keep being suggested, but I'm not motivated to develop them. Why? Because we already have Hand of Justice which is overwhelming seen as a niche and pointless spell. Why would we want to make the lunar version of it?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 11:42 AM CDT

Who carries more money on average and seen as a juicier target and safer target?
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 12:01 PM CDT
>Variants of this idea keep being suggested, but I'm not motivated to develop them. Why? Because we already have Hand of Justice which is overwhelming seen as a niche and pointless spell. Why would we want to make the lunar version of it?

So we can watch thieves and traders explode duh Raesh. ; )

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 12:05 PM CDT

I do agree that HOJ is a rather niche and pointless spell for Paladins though.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 12:37 PM CDT

> Further, when you start adding damage would it not move over to targeting instead of utility?

Why do you need damage? When I say exploding coin, I don't mean blowing off an arm. I mean an explosion of light. Knocks out of hiding. Perhaps a stun. Perhaps clinging to the individual nerfing hiding and thievery and alerting the guards?
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 12:39 PM CDT

> Why would we want to make the lunar version of it?

Give it a dual purpose. Conjure illusionary coins. They can be stolen (exploding light - protects trader coin) or used with speculate coin for a stun.
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 12:48 PM CDT

Paladins are broke and paying attention.

Traders with caravans are neither of these things.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 01:59 PM CDT
>>Give it a dual purpose. Conjure illusionary coins. They can be stolen (exploding light - protects trader coin) or used with speculate coin for a stun.

Speculate coin is unlikely to survive the conversion to casterland.

>>Paladins are broke and paying attention.

>>Traders with caravans are neither of these things.

... You're not helping your case.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 02:36 PM CDT

> Speculate coin is unlikely to survive the conversion to casterland.

Ability is gone, sure; however, we could use it as a spell that's a hybrid between TKT + shards and BG. You cast the spell to summon the coin (acts like shards created by moonies). You can gesture like BG to shoot one at someone (akin to the old speculate).
Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 02:41 PM CDT
>>Paladins are broke and paying attention.

>>... You're not helping your case.

Passive "trap" magic does/should not require paying attention. Just set it, and forget it (until it goes off or duration ends)

The point is which would be a juicier target for a thief? Easy money.

Re: Illusionary coins 04/05/2015 05:35 PM CDT
My point was that Traders on caravan routes had better be paying attention.

-Raesh

Re: Illusionary coins 04/06/2015 06:21 PM CDT
I just want more ways to stay inside my caravan and not have to lead it when traveling :)

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"

Train? Why? I'll get there eventually...