Prev_page Previous 1
traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 01:16 PM CDT
traders, the last independent guild of elanthia.

empaths may hunt, barbarians may dance, thieves can focus, and bards get to use lore in combat. (i'm sure i could come up with something for the standard magic using guilds)

i always wonder who the game-lore-master is that approves/disapproves of guild changes.

i remember no other guild fundamental so set in stone like the empath guild/no combat that i have to wonder who actually makes these decisions and whether or not they just hate traders so much that they just refuse to let the guild evolve.
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 02:39 PM CDT
You'll note that team barbarian departed before it was announced that barbarians would be getting quasi-magic skills. Team empath left before hunting became a reality. Sometimes I wonder why players want guild advocates so badly.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 04:01 PM CDT
Too bad they spent time deving Trader owned shops instead of Trader combat abilities?

I would just sit tight and see what comes next.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 04:16 PM CDT
<<You'll note that team barbarian departed before it was announced that barbarians would be getting quasi-magic skills. Team empath left before hunting became a reality. Sometimes I wonder why players want guild advocates so badly.>>

Conspiracy theories won't get anyone anywhere.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 04:23 PM CDT
>>Too bad they spent time deving Trader owned shops instead of Trader combat abilities?

>>I would just sit tight and see what comes next.

Trader shops are all sorts of awesome. POCs are awesome too even if I don't have one yet. But so is Speculate Defense. And I'd be willing to bet that the amount of coding time that went into Spec Defense is only a TINY fraction of what went into developing Shops or POCs.

As for sitting tight and seeing what comes next - we were just told that nothing was coming next, so that's why all of a sudden people are up in arms and asking for clarification

Apu
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 04:44 PM CDT
>>As for sitting tight and seeing what comes next - we were just told that nothing was coming next, so that's why all of a sudden people are up in arms and asking for clarification

You were not told "no Trader development is coming." You were told that I, personally, am unaware of any plans that exist for Trader integration into the Magic skillset. This may or may not be an important issue depending on your preferences in guild development and your opinion of what the Trader's Guild needs, but it is not a generalizable statement.

I'm certainly not going to get in the way of angst, but I ask you to be careful with your attributions. I do not wish to regret responding to you in the first place.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 04:44 PM CDT
>As for sitting tight and seeing what comes next - we were just told that nothing was coming next, so that's why all of a sudden people are up in arms and asking for clarification

I think it is a matter of perception.

Everyone is getting up in arms over Armifer's post, but all he said was his idea was shot down and other than that he has no idea what is in the works for Traders and the upcomming changes. I see that as a good sign since Armifer took time to put together a proposal. I wonder who else might be working on one?

I say sit tight and see what comes next because Traders have been getting love over the last year, and I don't expect it to stop out of nowhere.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 04:46 PM CDT
Armifered.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 05:03 PM CDT
>>You were not told "no Trader development is coming." You were told that I, personally, am unaware of any plans that exist for Trader integration into the Magic skillset.

I thought it would be clear to anyone who has been following all of the various threads, that the second sentence was what I was referring to. I don't mean to put words in your mouth or twist your meaning, I just thought it was clear what was I referring to.

Perhaps it would be more accurate if I change that to "we were told that no Trader development is coming imminently in this particular area that we are discussing at the moment"?

Apu
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 05:41 PM CDT
>>Everyone is getting up in arms over Armifer's post, but all he said was his idea was shot down and other than that he has no idea what is in the works for Traders and the upcomming changes. I see that as a good sign since Armifer took time to put together a proposal. I wonder who else might be working on one?

Yeah I appreciate that Armifer would take the time to draft a proposal for Traders when that isn't necessarily his responsibility. But if the proposal got shot down and is no longer being considered, then as they say, that and a dollar will buy us whatever you can get for a dollar these days.

Maybe other people are working on a proposal, or maybe the Trader GMs are thinking that we don't care about new "magic" abilities so they weren't going to bother with it. We have no idea unless we ask.

>>I say sit tight and see what comes next because Traders have been getting love over the last year, and I don't expect it to stop out of nowhere.

I don't really do "sitting tight". Well unless it's a case where the GMs have already addressed that they understand the problems, have ideas for how to fix them, but just don't have time to implement those fixes right now (for example: Mech Lore split, or fixing Trading skill to not totally suck). Then all you can do is sit tight and hope things get implemented.

But how do we know whether the GMs even plan to make new magic/supernatural stuff for Traders? Maybe they think Traders don't really care about a tertiary magic skillset, and that we want more redundant systems like trading with creatures. We have no way to know what they're planning unless we ask, and they have no way to know what type of stuff we'd like to see them work on unless we tell them. Also, what if they've been planning to make a proposal, but they could use more help coming up with ideas? Where does sitting tight get you then?

Apu
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 06:27 PM CDT
>Also, what if they've been planning to make a proposal, but they could use more help coming up with ideas? Where does sitting tight get you then?

Farther than multiple, unfounded complaints.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 07:09 PM CDT
<< Also, what if they've been planning to make a proposal, but they could use more help coming up with ideas? Where does sitting tight get you then?

I have a policy of no longer discussing what project I'm working on unless I have it close to release. The reasons for this are many. If I wanted to work on Project X and mentioned it, but then I get assigned something else, then you all expect Project X and I may not complete it in a reasonable amount of time. GM's leaving staff before releasing a project or finding that the project isn't feasible when they dig further into the code also cause delays or failed delivery on promises. Occasionally, a new idea may strike that someone feels they could get done quicker than another and therefore get you guys a release during a slow time (hirelings were one such idea).

I currently have 3 projects that I'm working on and you won't hear about them until they are near release or released. However, I would never turn down suggestions for the guild. In the 6+ years I've been working on various projects, I have had 1 player send me an e-mail idea that wasn't 'Trader Contest' related. Yes, I have read many ideas on the boards and some of those are still in a list that I choose from when I get a project complete, but there can never be too many ideas as long as they are well thought out.

I would say to not worry about if we are about to propose a specific something, but to instead post your ideas yourself. Sometimes doing so turns out to be really interesting to a coding person.

Best Regards,
~GM Arnimas

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his who enjoys it."
-Benjamin Franklin
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 07:28 PM CDT
>I have a policy of no longer discussing what project I'm working on unless I have it close to release.

This is a disappointing policy, especially since other GMs have been pretty open about their intentions for other guilds.

>describe boar
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 08:08 PM CDT
>>I would say to not worry about if we are about to propose a specific something, but to instead post your ideas yourself. Sometimes doing so turns out to be really interesting to a coding person.

Ok I'll do that once I finish writing up my ideas. I always want to ask though before going thru all that work. Not all GMs are looking for ideas - for example Socharis had the opposite answer for people offering ideas about fixing trading.

>>This is a disappointing policy, especially since other GMs have been pretty open about their intentions for other guilds.

Yeah it kind of is actually, since I would think that people would be mature enough to realize that "I'm working on X" doesn't equal "I promise to release X" - but personal policy is personal, and I'm not one to tell him how to do his job

Apu
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 08:39 PM CDT
<<In the 6+ years I've been working on various projects, I have had 1 player send me an e-mail idea that wasn't 'Trader Contest' related.>>

there's a reason for that, player-side. I used to send a number of very well-thought-out proposals to the thief-GM-at-the-time in regard to lockpick crafting,and other types of systems etc, etc, That GM later left staff, and was nowhere to be found. And when I asked the GM that followed him on staff about it, he couldn't find it, never heard about it, etc. So, I started submitting ideas on the board where, even if the forums aren't "searchable" very easily, at least the idea will be recorded for posterity. Because, as you say, GMs come and go. Bet you can't find the one i sent regarding thief-trader smuggling either.

As far as traders go, I had a number of combat-related ideas shot down by various GMs over the years, as they never seemed to want traders to be anything other than "mules" - <the idea of making shops at 30th circle highly indicates this idea- no "conspiracy" theory is needed to see that, its quite obvious> , <i used to attend the trader "meetings" and so had direct feedback- but its pretty much indicated.

I still think they could have some nice combat-related things. AND some sort of participation in the magic system as well. Heck, if BARBARIAN abilities will be worked into the "MAGIC" system, there is no reason that traders should be left out in the cold.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 10:06 PM CDT
>>>>This is a disappointing policy

Consider just how much noise and frustration (on both ends) gets generated when a project that's been discussed ends up getting sidelined. It may be disappointing from a data perspective, but it's certainly a good one if you want to avoid talking about projects that may never reach conclusion.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 10:46 PM CDT
>>It may be disappointing from a data perspective, but it's certainly a good one if you want to avoid talking about projects that may never reach conclusion.

Specific projects I can understand, given history. Do you really think it is too much to tell traders where they are going to stand in magic? Are we going to even get anything that uses the magic skill set? If so, is it a backburner or higher priorty thing?

As of right now all we can read into magic stuff is that traders are on the outs and screwed again. And if we are not included in the magic system, how are we included in the enchanting system as was stated?
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 10:57 PM CDT
>>As of right now all we can read into magic stuff is that traders are on the outs and screwed again.

I fail to see what you expected from magic 3.0. A conversion of other guilds is all that is taking place. Traders are the least magic-y of the NMUs. Speculates are joke that shouldn't be converted to anything.

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 10:59 PM CDT
<<As of right now all we can read into magic stuff is that traders are on the outs and screwed again.

Key phrase bolded. That's not what anyone is actually saying.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 11:04 PM CDT
I like how half the non-Traders posting are saying "of course you're getting new stuff, just sit tight, why would you just assume you're being left out", while the other half are saying "of course you're being left out, it's only a conversion of new abilities so why would you be included". And then they all wonder why we have the audacity to ask, since obviously it is all so clear what is going on...

Apu
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 11:07 PM CDT
>>I fail to see what you expected from magic 3.0. A conversion of other guilds is all that is taking place. Traders are the least magic-y of the NMUs. Speculates are joke that shouldn't be converted to anything.

We want to be told that we are going to be included. Not that when magic 3.0 comes out there will be a full system out for us. We don't want to be the only guild left out of a whole skillset, or a skill(enchanting) in a set that is our primary.

And speculates overall may be a joke(though not defense), but some have promise. For what you are saying, there are alot of spells that are jokes. Should they just be scraped and not converted? Speculate coin and defense are the two we have that are ripe for conversion. I don't think it is asking alot if those two were converted over with magic 3.0 even if it is just a stop gap measure.....assuming it doesn't take too much time from fixing trading.
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 11:19 PM CDT
>>As of right now all we can read into magic stuff is that traders are on the outs and screwed again.

LOL, you got POC's and shops, both within the last year. They are working on hirelings and new speculates as has been stated. Traders have receive some awesome systems that revolve around... well, trading.

I really don't think it is fair to say you are getting screwed considering the resources that have gone towards Trader dev this year alone. I honestly feel bad for the GM's who built these systems only to receive a bunch of complaints a few months later.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 11:28 PM CDT
>>I like how half the non-Traders posting are saying "of course you're getting new stuff, just sit tight, why would you just assume you're being left out", while the other half are saying "of course you're being left out, it's only a conversion of new abilities so why would you be included".

Maybe none of your current abilities need converting.

NEW ones will be designed with the current standard in mind.

>>And then they all wonder why we have the audacity to ask, since obviously it is all so clear what is going on...

Maybe it is the "OMG WE ARE GETTING SCREWED LIKE ALLWAYS!!!11" posts that are causing the backlash. You guys had a pretty good following with the first two threads on the subject.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/26/2010 11:37 PM CDT
>>I honestly feel bad for the GM's who built these systems only to receive a bunch of complaints a few months later.

Who is complaining about shops or POCs? Those systems are great.

>>Maybe none of your current abilities need converting. NEW ones will be designed with the current standard in mind.

Will they? Where was that stated? How do you know this? That's actually all anyone has even been asking for in all of these threads. If I saw that second sentence from a GM I'd shut the hell up in a heartbeat and stop posting about the issue entirely

Apu
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 12:05 AM CDT
>Who is complaining about shops

It's besides the point, but I'll play along.

Location in Therengia
Level of Traders allowed to use them
Lack of more shops

My point was, with the new Trader systems released recently, QQing over a lack of dev seems really unfair. Yes, there is a lot of QQ and bitterness in this thread (and others) and no I will not point it out for you post by post.

>Will they? Where was that stated? How do you know this?

I said maybe, I don't know as far as existing abilities go. However, I think it is safe to assume that they aren't sure yet and when they are you will get a post like every other guild has or will.

I know the new ones will operate under new mechanics because common sense dictates that any new development will follow the new standard in development (until a new one comes along).

TL;DR
Relax and have faith in the GM's.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 12:33 AM CDT
I am not really keen on some of the branches that this thread has taken. The negativity levels could be lowered a notch or two. Keep the debates constructive and try to avoid attacks on other players, GMs, and their policies.

Thanks in advance.

Zairyche
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have questions or comments, please email me at (Mod-Zairyche@play.net) or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-
Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-
Annwyl@play.net).
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 04:35 AM CDT
<<I fail to see what you expected from magic 3.0. A conversion of other guilds is all that is taking place. Traders are the least magic-y of the NMUs.

Personally I just like my DR to be organized and felt that including all guilds into magic 3.0 seemed to be the best way to do that, especially given how Development is organized by system now.

Nikpack
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 08:48 AM CDT
<<I really don't think it is fair to say you are getting screwed considering the resources that have gone towards Trader dev this year alone>>

true, but 1 year of really good stuff only partially makes up for years of neglect. Yes. Last year at the fest, traders FINALLY got POCs. ya know how long they've been waiting for that? <hint, traders were posting about wanting them back when Gonk was thief GM... 1996 when the game started - 1998>.

And if you followed along that big project which compared the TDPs for various players that submitted their stats <smelly cat had the details>, you would see for yourself the problem that traders have. Per circle, they have, generally, lower TDPs than the vast majority of characters due to being tertiary in both weapons and in magic. Although the mech <lore> rewrite will partially alleviate this, traders too should be included in major game systems. So... even if Armifer's idea was shot down, let's hope somewhere someone is back there proposing an alternative.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 09:56 AM CDT
<<My point was, with the new Trader systems released recently, QQing over a lack of dev seems really unfair. Yes, there is a lot of QQ and bitterness in this thread (and others) and no I will not point it out for you post by post.

I don't think Apu is crying at all. From my perspective he seems to be voicing concern and interest in a guild that he's invested years of his life in. If DR history has shown us anything, it's that AFTER the new system has been rolled out, is NOT the time to express an interest or offer ideas.

As for unfair and bitter, I don't really think that's the case. Passionate I think would be a better word. As players, what else can we give to GMs (who are kind enough to donate their time) aside from our time and honest opinion, or ideas about current development? To me, that's the greatest gift a player can give to them. It may not always be what they are hoping or wanting to hear, but at least they know we cared enough about them and what they are doing to take the time to formulate some type of response.

As for development... yes.. Traders have POC's and Shops, but that doesn't mean those two things should eliminate all other aspects of development that Traders need, in order to reach a more equitable level in relation to all the other guilds.

Do we need magic, I'd say yes. Maybe not fireball slinging magic, but at least a way to focus items, and perhaps something to aid us in combat. Nikpack had some great ideas I thought concerning magic as well.

I know that a lot of the current development is probably past the gathering ideas phase, but for those areas where input may still be an option, a nudge in the right direction from a GM would surely be welcomed.

-Zabadoo
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 10:06 AM CDT
>>This is a disappointing policy

I can understand it being disappointing from a player's perspective. I've been there before. Part of the problems GM's face is being told by players on the boards that 'We players want X!'. Then we sometimes spend a lot of time making it and players either don't use it or have moved on to other things that they would prefer. Ratha market tables anyone?

I recall when it was announced at a meeting that POC's were 'soon' and they almost brought one out to show us that very night but then decided not to do it. Then the wait went on and on. I don't want to put everyone through a situation like that. POC's, creature trading, etc.

On another note, I never had an interest in coding POCs personally, it wasn't a system that appealed to me. However, GM Adera mentioned it during one of our meetings and was convinced that you all would like them. We dicussed what Stage 1 would be and I then did some research. I have no idea what happened to the old system and it would have probably taken longer to find and fix it than to start from scratch. Luckily, they were coded in about 2-3 weeks and seemed to be appreciated by players.

I'll break my rule and say that I have plans for Stage 2 on them. I won't go into details of what that involves but it is one of my three projects. Now let's hope RL doesn't interfere and disappoint everyone.

Traders systems are some of the most convoluted and complex in the game. The appraisal code itself seems simple to me compared to how some of the Trader code is structured. If I had my way, I'd have time to code you a new release every month. Unfortunately, time is sometimes an enemy.

Best Regards,
~GM Arnimas

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his who enjoys it."
-Benjamin Franklin
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 10:13 AM CDT
>Who is complaining about shops or POCs? Those systems are great.

Neither are generally available, I think that's a fair complaint.

But mainly, I think this is just a bizarre thread. Yes there's negativity here, but I think it's warranted. It was just revealed that there was trader dev planned, but it was shot down and instead we aren't getting told anything that's even potentially a possibility instead. And while shops and POCs are nice, as gonif points out, traders have been neglected as a guild since the beginning of the game.

If you haven't seriously played a trader character, I don't think you get to tell traders that everything is peachy.

>describe boar
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 10:25 AM CDT
>>And while shops and POCs are nice, as gonif points out, traders have been neglected as a guild since the beginning of the game.

You can't keep throwing out the 'we've been ignored for 10+ years' drivel when the current batch of GMs working on Trader things have put out new stuff for them in the last 2 years fairly regularly. Of course this argument won't go anywhere except GvG so I'm just going to stop there. Just be patient. It's not going to happen over night.

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 10:40 AM CDT
>>I honestly feel bad for the GM's who built these systems only to receive a bunch of complaints a few months later.

>Who is complaining about shops or POCs? Those systems are great.

thoes systems ARE great......this thread wasent created to complain about existing systems that are quite awesome for the scope of their purpose.

read back to the first and third reply for what this topic was about originally.
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 12:09 PM CDT
>>LOL, you got POC's and shops, both within the last year. They are working on hirelings and new speculates as has been stated. Traders have receive some awesome systems that revolve around... well, trading.

>>I really don't think it is fair to say you are getting screwed considering the resources that have gone towards Trader dev this year alone. I honestly feel bad for the GM's who built these systems only to receive a bunch of complaints a few months later.

I am on both sides of the fence here, as I play several guilds simultaneously (Empath and Trader primarily though).

First, Lore guilds NEEDED love and attention. They have been a joke for over a decade.

Think about this. What does 800 in a primary skill get you? It lets you kill very impressive things, survive to kill very impressive things, cast very impressive things, and 800 in any survival is good for a ton of stuff.

Lore?

800 Empathy? So you can percieve everything within 7 rooms (presuming you've got around 600 PP). Uh, yay? You'd have capped Shift long ago with the AGE changes to Shift. There's nothing else needing even close to 800 Empathy, except manipulate friendship.

How about 800 Trading? Uh, yeah, you can get some impressive contracts, I presume. Which still doesn't mean a whole lot when any other guild that has to do combat (nearly all of them) can collect skins and gems and coin for pretty much the same reward/time.

On the other hand, I am not amused by fellow Traders who presume that there is a conspiracy to keep Traders down out of the magic set, since....we've never been in the magic set, unless it was before I started playing over 8 years ago.

That said, Abison has an interesting point regarding Enchanting. I'm not fond of the happy-joy-joy feeling that rewriting all crafting to be in Lore, which it all SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE, is miraculously going to make up for years and years and years of being the (expletive) of other guilds.

But I prefer adopting a quiet wait and see approach.

Naniaki

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 12:11 PM CDT
>>Traders systems are some of the most convoluted and complex in the game.<<

Psst, if you wouldn't mind, I wouldn't mind learning what the formula is for the Trader bonus for selling gems and skins. I'll be figuring it out sooner or later, but it would save me some fewer headaches, headbangings, and less crying to friends on AIM if you told me.

Naniaki

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 01:00 PM CDT
>I don't think Apu is crying at all

I never said Apu specifically, he just happened to respond to my post and I responded in return. Sorry if it seemes I was attacking Apu though, that was not my intention.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 01:12 PM CDT
>this thread wasent created to complain about existing systems that are quite awesome for the scope of their purpose.

>read back to the first and third reply for what this topic was about originally.

So you want me to read the reply's and not your OP to get the point of the thread? OK.

The first reply is stating that Traders would be better off if they had a new GM team.

The third reply was Conspiracy theories won't get anyone anywhere.

~Sulakhan

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 04:13 PM CDT
>>So you want me to read the reply's and not your OP to get the point of the thread? OK.

sorry, i was assuming you knew what you were doing and i didn't know you had to be told specifically how to conduct your forum exercises.

yes, please read the original starting post.
Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 05:10 PM CDT
<<I am not amused by fellow Traders who presume that there is a conspiracy to keep Traders down out of the magic set, since....we've never been in the magic set, unless it was before I started playing over 8 years ago.>>

which was right around the time of the first "rewrite" of magic 2.0. That particular one left thieves, traders, and to a very lower extent, barbarians <because they don't like to use magic anyway> "out in the cold" in regards to magic.

No, thieves and traders could never "prepare/cast". However, both could, and did rub runestones to "prepare" spells that way. <ye olde example - shapeshifter casting Lightning bolt on a well known thief back in the day with a wand.> Now, thieves are getting an "in" back into the magic system with 3.0. And - so are barbarians - using their own "guilded" abilities. <khri/roar&dance> respectively. The major complaint in this is ... why traders are still "left in the cold" with this.

as for playing a trader, i put in many years on a trader <up thru 80s in circle in prime - in fact, a trader is the very first guild i rolled up in>, but like the other poster stated - there really isn't much more to do as you progress in trading skill. Bigger contracts, yes. But any of my similar circled combat characters <not including the empath as I really haven't trained her combats much- my tf empath though could make coin with the avenger back when i played there though, and if i still did could probably make decent coin in constructs> can make more money hunting in the same time period. And - other guilds can leave the game if something comes up in RL that I have to attend to. Traders are much more time-intensive and if you have to attend to reality, the contracts expire, the caravans die, and you get bad mojo from the guild for starvin' 'em. :-(.

Re: traders, the last independent guild of elanthia 10/27/2010 05:25 PM CDT
<<and that amount of trading experience effects nothing but prices in trading? (does it even effect this? i'm sure abison said it did sometime ago or something....)

It does. It also increases the number of commodities your caravan can hold, along with CHA. Since the boards have limited potential in a given time-frame however, this benefit doesn't age well.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Prev_page Previous 1