Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 12:26 AM CDT
I've been working my trade as of late and have come to some ideas I think would be great for our guild. While some may be "out there" on the possibility scale I'm still going to post them just so people can brainstorm ideas from them. I'd like to see the caravan system expanded to include more than just running routes and having little tricks it can do like drag a dead body around, because I, for one, believe it has so much more potential. I'm not sure if any of these possibilities have been discussed in the past so forgive me if I tread on old ground.

I think as a trader, one should be able to take the caravan out as a means of more than just running routes. A caravan could follow the trader around in combat, and it should. This alone opens them up for much more in the way of usefulness. They already provide bundling rope and gem pouches... so why not expand on that and have them loot items for you and create bundles and pouches for you to sell. I can so see myself commanding the caravan to loot items via the command system (command caravan to loot all\gems\skins\boxes) and having it gather up items for me. Being a trader also allows you to sell loot from creature drops--which is great the first few circles--so why not have the caravan store up loot (to a capacity) and then the trader can go sell it at the pawn shop for trading experience as a viable method of training? Why not then too, could a trader not opt to have instead of a flat bed caravan for looting... a caravan that specializes in holding pots of herbs to heal themselves with out in combat? Heck or a little of both. It could work in such a way that the caravan would keep tally of what herbs are used and the trader is charged when they return the caravan. These additions could open up at certain circles obviously.

Also, there could be a skill that IF your caravan has an interior, and you're in combat, your caravan workers could throw you into the interior of the wagon and ride off a few rooms as a method of escaping certain death from time to time--much like a warrior mage familiar. It's reasonable to think that a caravan driver would jump to action if they saw you getting slaughtered rather than just leave you to die. Or if you die, the caravan could load you corpse and weapons (if any) up and ferry you off to the closest city.

These are just my thoughts. I'd love to know what you guys think. Maybe even a gm could chime in :p
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 12:43 AM CDT
So, first of all, it's creative of you to revisit caravans and Traders certainly do need some attention. In case you didn't know, Trader magic is on the horizon (far horizon?), and my guess is that development attention will fall there first, but there's no reason we can't brainstorm.

>>so why not have the caravan store up loot (to a capacity) and then the trader can go sell it at the pawn shop for trading experience as a viable method of training?

Just a note, this can already be done once you get a caravan box, I believe. You could just lead your caravan into combat and stow the loot in the box. You could also store remedies in there and grab what you need.

>>It's reasonable to think that a caravan driver would jump to action if they saw you getting slaughtered rather than just leave you to die.

So I think you bring up some very good ideas. The only mental issue I'm having is this: would a real merchant really bring his or her caravan into combat? What would that look like? You set up camp somewhere and tell your employees you're going to engage the hostile wildlife? If the messaging is done right, it might work, but at first glance it sounds a little far-fetched. I'd have to imagine it as a hunting party rather than a merchant party.

Overall, what it makes me think is that maybe we could have a way to order a "hunting" caravan as opposed to a trade one. It doesn't have to be different from usual much, except perhaps in the look and descriptives of the employees. Maybe it comes with a driver who is able to do as you suggest. The ideas I particularly like are:

- driver grabs you and you retreat in the caravan when hurt/stunned enough.
- you signal the driver to apply remedies to you, stored in your caravan.
- a particular kind of driver might fight by your side.
- driver adjusts your armor for you to provide a slight boost.
- driver gets you to town if you die, maybe sends a crier with your location.

Of course, most non-magical abilities must come from a guild's signature skill, which in this case is Trading. Does convincing a driver to fight with you fall under this skill? I really don't know. Something to think about.

- Navesi
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 12:51 AM CDT
<<Just a note, this can already be done once you get a caravan box, I believe. You could just lead your caravan into combat and stow the loot in the box. You could also store remedies in there and grab what you need.

I think they meant it would do it automatically. E.g. you could give a command like TELL CARAVAN TO LOOT and it would gather up any loot on the ground and when you next ASK CARAVAN FOR LOOT it gives it to you in tied bundle and pouch format.

<< The only mental issue I'm having is this: would a real merchant really bring his or her caravan into combat? What would that look like? You set up camp somewhere and tell your employees you're going to engage the hostile wildlife? If the messaging is done right, it might work, but at first glance it sounds a little far-fetched. I'd have to imagine it as a hunting party rather than a merchant party.

I agree bringing your caravan into combat seems a little off the wall, since they're not just a cart and wagon but a whole set of them complete with a crew of employees. (See the trade minister speech when purchasing your interior for the confirmation of this.) That said, caravans already have this ability with SPECULATE SPOOK, which is meant as a defense against random engagement on your routes but works just as easily in combat. This ability would be a wound-less upgrade of that ability that triggers automatically.

The other caveat here for both suggestions is that caravans are a huge pain to get out to any hunting area, assuming you can even get it into one at all. I'd prefer any combat development to not be tied to caravans, personally, primarily for this reason alone.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 01:39 AM CDT
This is again just trying to open up the dialogue for possible upgrades to the traders guild as of the last census they count for 4% of all played guilds least played guild. which isn't much at all if you consider the player base.

>> In case you didn't know, Trader magic is on the horizon (far horizon?), and my guess is that development attention will fall there first, but there's no reason we can't brainstorm.

I love brainstorming! As far as the magic goes, yes I do know about it. Raesh made a post in reference to it two days ago. It is on the short list of very large projects they are working towards but not actively on. It's something I'm eagerly waiting for personally.

>>Just a note, this can already be done once you get a caravan box, I believe. You could just lead your caravan into combat and stow the loot in the box. You could also store remedies in there and grab what you need.

>>I think they meant it would do it automatically. E.g. you could give a command like TELL CARAVAN TO LOOT and it would gather up any loot on the ground and when you next ASK CARAVAN FOR LOOT it gives it to you in tied bundle and pouch format.

^^ exactly.

>>The only mental issue I'm having is this: would a real merchant really bring his or her caravan into combat? What would that look like? You set up camp somewhere and tell your employees you're going to engage the hostile wildlife? If the messaging is done right, it might work, but at first glance it sounds a little far-fetched. I'd have to imagine it as a hunting party rather than a merchant party.

I see it as an circle based option, one could rent caravan with the option of having it specialize in helping you in the field rather than hauling shipping crates. I.E. Rent caravan field/hunt/loot/etc... I envision a trader as a more diverse group of people. Money can be made many many ways, and I'd imagine some traders would quite welcome the ability to diversify their trading training techniques to include a more updated pawn shop route. I've always enjoyed hunting regardless of what guild I play so I for one can say that I would be one of them, and can quite easily envision myself gathering loot to sell in the pawn shops for money. While this would not need a caravan, having the option of a huge flatbed with which to move these things around sits well with my vision of a trader hauling their loot from place to place to sell.

>>Of course, most non-magical abilities must come from a guild's signature skill, which in this case is Trading. Does convincing a driver to fight with you fall under this skill? I really don't know. Something to think about.

I don't think it necessarily has to fall under that specific skill... Hauling a corpse with a caravan currently isn't a trader based skill, but we still have it nonetheless. it's the traders guild, with hirelings and such. I can see this falling within the scope of that particular system.

>>The other caveat here for both suggestions is that caravans are a huge pain to get out to any hunting area, assuming you can even get it into one at all.

this is where i see traders having advantage in that area actually; while, yes, it may be a pain to get it into some (obviously not all) hunting areas. The benefit of doing so is you have a caravan with which to load up loot on. The whole, "A penny saved is a penny earned" saying comes to mind here. As a trader, i don't see myself leaving many things that I can turn around and sell if I don't have to. Having an caravan to haul that stuff around for me makes hunting with a caravan a very trader like thing in my book.

-Player of the baby trader Marreous
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 02:06 AM CDT
<< (obviously not all)

I beg to differ. The speed at which caravans move is the pain. Unless the caravan is right beside the caravan stable that you hunt in then it would mean travelling with your caravan for ages just to make use of it in combat. And not just getting it there, but getting it back. E.g. my caravan is currently stabled in Crossing so that I can use it's storage for all of my crafting supplies there, but I hunt in Boar Clan so if I wanted to make use of any of its abilities then I would have to spend at least 45 minutes of travel one way just to get there and another 45 minutes at least just to get it back. And even if I hunted in Zoluren where it's stabled it would take 5 to 10 minutes to get to most hunting grounds, more if it was across the ferry.

I really, really don't want any combat abilities tied to a caravan at all.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 02:25 AM CDT

>>I beg to differ. The speed at which caravans move is the pain. Unless the caravan is right beside the caravan stable that you hunt in then it would mean travelling with your caravan for ages just to make use of it in combat. And not just getting it there, but getting it back. E.g. my caravan is currently stabled in Crossing so that I can use it's storage for all of my crafting supplies there, but I hunt in Boar Clan so if I wanted to make use of any of its abilities then I would have to spend at least 45 minutes of travel one way just to get there and another 45 minutes at least just to get it back. And even if I hunted in Zoluren where it's stabled it would take 5 to 10 minutes to get to most hunting grounds, more if it was across the ferry.

The idea of a caravan accompanying you to a hunting area isn't necessarily locked down to be your own custom caravan. Caravans can be rented at just about any outpost from what I recall (it's been a few years since I've played a trader so excuse my ignorance if this has changed.) There's also nothing forcing you to take a caravan with you, it's just a means to add more depth to the traders guild. Assuming anything comes of any of this, if you would want to keep your caravan to strictly running routes there's nothing that says you can't.

>>I really, really don't want any combat abilities tied to a caravan at all.

I don't believe these would be combat abilities, I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding from where I was taking this conversation. The caravan isn't running anything over for you with spiked wheels or anything, it's just a different means for a trader to work their skills while doing something different than sitting in a city selling pouches or in a shop all day, running routes from city to city, or sitting in a society building working orders. And assuming we ever DID get any kind of combat related skill, if it was linked to a caravan would it be such a bad thing? It'd be more than we have currently.
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 02:42 AM CDT
<<The idea of a caravan accompanying you to a hunting area isn't necessarily locked down to be your own custom caravan. Caravans can be rented at just about any outpost from what I recall (it's been a few years since I've played a trader so excuse my ignorance if this has changed.)

It is not possible to do this unless you keep the storage box empty. The custom caravan is still owned by the guild and is considered to be rented until you return it to the guild, even when stabled. It cannot be returned to the guild if there are any items in or on it, and it's not possible to rent anything else while it still rented.

<<There's also nothing forcing you to take a caravan with you, it's just a means to add more depth to the traders guild.

It's an ability no one would use because the caravan requirement would be too restrictive. Indoor hunting areas, impassible athletics barriers, and location are all factors that contribute to it being a horrible thing to tie combat abilities to a caravan. I'd rather development go towards something that people would actually make use of.

<<And assuming we ever DID get any kind of combat related skill, if it was linked to a caravan would it be such a bad thing?

Yes, for the reasons explained.

I'm all for expanding what a caravan can do, but not into combat. The magic system, which is what most of our handful of speculates are being converted to, is where abilities like that belong and I'm excited about the abilities that have been listed as planned: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Category:Planned_Trader_Spells

Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 02:49 AM CDT
The first idea of a loot manager would work better as a hireling type of ability anyway. You could HIRE ESQUIRE or something and it would follow you around (quicker than other hirelings do) and loot stuff for you. Perhaps even provide some minor combat support such as dragging you if you get stunned or knocked down.

Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 02:56 AM CDT
>>It's an ability no one would use because the caravan requirement would be too restrictive. Indoor hunting areas, impassible athletics barriers, and location are all factors that contribute to it being a horrible thing to tie combat abilities to a caravan. I'd rather development go towards something that people would actually make use of.

I can understand that and see how it would be a pain. However, it's not different really than a cleric trying to find undead if they want to have an easy boost to their devotion, or an empath trying to find constructs/undead to hunt. Traders are not a hunting guild that focuses on mauling stuff to death like barbarians. They SHOULD have access to all hunting areas without restriction (non-corporeal entities and blessed weapons being the exception). I'd be ok with picking and choosing where my caravan would go hunt with me.

>>The first idea of a loot manager would work better as a hireling type of ability anyway. You could HIRE ESQUIRE or something and it would follow you around (quicker than other hirelings do) and loot stuff for you. Perhaps even provide some minor combat support such as dragging you if you get stunned or knocked down.

That's a great idea! though, both work equally well for me. It's a means to an end that both end in the same place.
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 03:00 AM CDT
<<I can understand that and see how it would be a pain. However, it's not different really than a cleric trying to find undead if they want to have an easy boost to their devotion, or an empath trying to find constructs/undead to hunt.

It is very different than that. Caravans are just way too mechanically slow and cumbersome to have any place in combat. Period.

Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 03:39 AM CDT

>>It is very different than that. Caravans are just way too mechanically slow and cumbersome to have any place in combat. Period.

I'm not sure it's that black or white. Everyone has a different idea of what a "trader" entails. I'm not saying you're wrong, just not agreeing that you're right entirely. I wouldn't mind the hireling doing the work, but like I mentioned I also don't mind the idea of a caravan, it really comes down to personal taste.

Keeping on the subject of trader improvements, what would you like to see added to the guild in the form of skills or abilities?
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 04:01 AM CDT
Spend a week taking 10 seconds every time you move from room to room whenever you head to your hunting area and again when you head back and get back to me if you still think it's a good idea. No cheating and starting from the nearest major city. Do it from wherever you last left your caravan. E.g. you're in Shard and want to hunt nearby but last used your caravan in Crossing because that's where you do routes? First travel up to Crossing like you would have to do to collect your caravan and then slowly travel back down to Shard 10 seconds at a time. Then slowly walk back up to Crossing so you can do your routes again when you're done hunting. It gets old. Fast.

<<Keeping on the subject of trader improvements, what would you like to see added to the guild in the form of skills or abilities?

I already linked it.

Oh, and if hirelings could be updated to have follow mechanics like pigs and rats instead of follow mechanics like caravans that would be groovy.

Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 04:39 AM CDT

>>Spend a week taking 10 seconds every time you move from room to room whenever you head to your hunting area and again when you head back and get back to me if you still think it's a good idea. No cheating and starting from the nearest major city. Do it from wherever you last left your caravan. E.g. you're in Shard and want to hunt nearby but last used your caravan in Crossing because that's where you do routes? First travel up to Crossing like you would have to do to collect your caravan and then slowly travel back down to Shard 10 seconds at a time. Then slowly walk back up to Crossing so you can do your routes again when you're done hunting. It gets old. Fast.

Ahhaaa, but see this is where it could be different. I'm talking about working trading through looting items in combat and turning them in, using your caravan to haul big loads of loot for you thus.. trading the loot for money and experience. If a trader were to take that method then they wouldn't have to be running trade routes and thus... the caravan would be close to your hunting area since you hunt in the same places.

>>Oh, and if hirelings could be updated to have follow mechanics like pigs and rats instead of follow mechanics like caravans that would be groovy.

I havn't used hirelings yet but if they're like caravans it'd be nice. Heck if caravans followed the same mechanics it'd be nice!
Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 05:05 AM CDT
<<Ahhaaa, but see this is where it could be different. I'm talking about working trading through looting items in combat and turning them in, using your caravan to haul big loads of loot for you thus.. trading the loot for money and experience. If a trader were to take that method then they wouldn't have to be running trade routes and thus... the caravan would be close to your hunting area since you hunt in the same places.

This is no different than what exists now. We pick up the item ourselves and sell it to the appraiser for money and trading experience. Adding a caravan just adds middleman bloat to it. And caravans are more than just routes. They're storage which is often location based. I.e. back stock for your shop.

<<Heck if caravans followed the same mechanics it'd be nice!

It would completely break contract and commodity running.

Re: Updating caravans. 06/12/2016 03:50 PM CDT
I agree that caravans are currently quite cumbersome and would be difficult to get into combat. Perhaps in renting a hunting party instead of a merchant caravan, there might be some leeway mechanically. For example, maybe it could use the new "pig/rat" mechanics to follow, or perhaps even respond to a SUMMON command (less realistic but gets around a lot of playability issues).

>>This is no different than what exists now. We pick up the item ourselves and sell it to the appraiser for money and trading experience. Adding a caravan just adds middleman bloat to it.

Honestly I think having a storage box available could be a big help to inexperienced traders, who would quickly get burdened.

All that said, I'm not 100% married to the idea of involving a caravan in everything a trader does. I like the idea but I'd want to situate everything into the suite of magic and non-magic abilities, make sure everything is balanced. But given that Traders are magic tert and becoming a combat guild, it's nice to think about possibilities for non-magical additions to combat.

- Navesi
Re: Updating caravans. 06/14/2016 07:13 PM CDT
I'm still waiting on my caravan selling table so I can go to far away locals...

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"

Train? Why? I'll get there eventually...