The days of old 10/24/2004 05:38 PM CDT
When I first entered the realm, so VERY many years ago, the world was still quite new. Exploration was a way of life for everyone, not knowing what was beyond certain points, but working desperately to become strong enough to find out... The world was young, and innocent. And, I, in my first life chose the path of the Paladin. (I shudder now to think of it) Why a Paladin? Because I thought that the world needed good souls in it to combat the evil. But, the life of a "Tin Can" never truly suited me. I had become a well known Paladin, with many friends, but, it wasn't the right life for me. I felt the urge to do evil deep down in my soul, and didn't take kindly to being punished for it. So, one day, I decided that my life as a Paladin was over and I walked the starry road.

But, that wasn't the end of me.

I began a new life as a thief. A thief named Aleidra. The thieve's guild was still very young, with just a few thieves past the 10th circle at the time.

Now, back in those days, it was very difficult to become a thief... VERY difficult. Finding entrance into the guild was a challenge, and I don't mean just by finding it's location. Oh no... that was only the beginning. For even if you found the entrance, and Kalag approved of your joining, you still had to meet a bunch of very tightly knit thieves, a band of brothers, who would be ready to kill you (Crossbows LOADED and hanging over their shoulders - yes you COULD wear a LOADED crossbow in those days) if they didn't like you. Death was all around you in the thieve's guild. There was almost always a dead body laying around in the guild in those days. (I still feel warm inside when I think of it) Mostly lost little boys and girls who "thought" they wanted to be thieves but didn't know and understand the first thing about it. You see, you could steal from anyone in those days, even those who would be today considered a "Novice"... and there were those who weren't bright enough to put their money away safely in a bank before going in search of a hide-out for a bunch of thieves. And, even face to face with a bunch of rough and rugged thieves, they had the nerve to accuse us of theft when they noticed that their beginning coin was missing. (I smile at this) And, of course, we wouldn't stand to be accused when we were innocent. Death. It was the way of life, and it brought those of us who were accepted as members that much closer together.

I can remember fondly my brothers and sisters. Though many years have passed, many of their names remain with me. Shaydee, Kainan, Deaththought, Nymbull, Alacron, Kraelyst, Soim, Cardinale, Majorly, Vrulle, Amarie (who is dearly missed)... So very many (I apologize for missing you if I didn't name you). We were brothers and sisters, and avenged the death of any among us.

Things were always happening in those days. Rumors of abilities to come to us... Mostly rumors, and then the realities of some of those. It was a wonderful time to be a thief. When stealing gems became available, and carving lockpicks... and then the downfall of stealing from the NPC's when shoplifting came about.

I became a thief because I sought so much more than could be found in any other guild. A bond so strong that can only be found within a group who is looking for protection from their brethren and looking to protect what they have. I found that the thieve's guild is the only place in all of Elanthia that had what I desired. A family.

I walked the starry road when my trek had finished. I left behind a family.

And, now, I'm back once again after a very long 5 year absence. I'm no longer Aleidra. But, I am again a thief.
Re: The days of old 10/24/2004 05:42 PM CDT
It's good to have you back. It's too bad its not like that anymore.

~Deuce~

~The Ever Cynical Elec

~TEH Zombie Ninja Monkey Pirate

You've gained a new rank in backstabbing.

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: The days of old 10/24/2004 08:28 PM CDT
it could be
Re: The days of old 10/24/2004 09:04 PM CDT
Even if those days are gone, I'm back and looking for "some" of what used to be. The friendship, the bond of guildsmen... and if it isn't there, I'll do my best to create it within those I come in contact with.

I didn't post to make it sound as though the old days were entirely gone, nor to make anyone feel as though because they weren't a part of that they weren't as wonderful... Just to say, that is the way it was, it was wonderful, and I hope to rekindle some of what was even in these days.

Everyday we make the realms what it is, and I hope to make it in my own experiences every bit as wonderful as it was so many years ago. There is a reason that people return. I returned, a few times, but my mission is to now reclaim what I felt was lost. I hope to be accepted by the new generations of thieves who now live, but my aim is much like it was so many years ago when levels weren't everything. To experience the adventures, the heists, the fun of truly role-playing the thief.
Re: The days of old 10/25/2004 03:18 PM CDT
>>yes you COULD wear a LOADED crossbow in those days

You still can. It was being able to put loaded ones in containers that was stopped.

Trying to find the guild and getting approval back then wasn't easy.

Jackele
Re: The days of old 10/25/2004 03:38 PM CDT
>Trying to find the guild and getting approval back then wasn't easy.

and now, last I was in the crossing guild, it's more like a club then a guild of thievies. "You want to know when to get such-and-such ability? Sure you get it.."

.....ya..

~Apprentice to Damaris

< You clamp your fangs on a ship's rat's neck repeatedly gnashing it with heavy bites that rips away the adams apple and exposes the larynx.
You bellow a victorious howl that grows louder as it rips from your larynx.
Re: The days of old 09/15/2006 08:36 PM CDT
Aliedra, not sure what your name is now but I'm so glad to have you with us and wanted to thank you for this post! I fondly remember those days also. No it's not like that now, but yes it could be to a degree. The guild is what we make it! I personaly would love to make it more like those older days but today with PvP rules and so many reports it's just not doable to shoot someone for walking in the guild! Even though I do agree... it did bond us because we WERE thieves, rough and ready! it's what you would expect in a thieves guild. I remember walking in with all my coins still on me thinking 'surely fellow thieves won't take them" but they did! I had zero, zilt, nada, nothing! No armor cuz you didn't get starting armor back then. No weapon, no money to buy anything. I had to start my life AS a thief. Luckily for me... someone in the group who stole my coins took em under thier wing and introduced me to the minstril, so I made my coins back with prophit! and got my starting gear purely from stolen money. That's the ONLY way to start a thief! I also remember having a few wounds from saying the <cough> wrong thing at the door. Took me three tries before I got in. No web sites to tell me what to do I just had to figure it out! I got in many a fight, verbal and physical. We scuffled, killed each other had spars and generally mucked about. I'd always pick myself up and end up close friends with who ever did it! We'd form teams and go out stealing. I fondly remember Psitry, Cardinale, SSpiral, Nishu and various others going out and being a "stealing team" with me. I remember ranger Hasten who use to brag about his stealing ranks and that "no one could get in his pockets" so he carried golds around and Psitry and I would steal em all! There was no limited grabs we just got em. when Shard first opened he chased us with Track all the way to the city gates. At the time the city gates shut at night but we were able to get around that in our stealthy ways and lose him! he use to hunt us down on the hunting grounds and kill us just for the sake of it! No one reported and on one cared. It was all part of thief life. when fake titles first came out I actually tricked him into believing that I had given up my thiefly ways and become a ranga... that was until he said in the ranga guild "open pockets" and with in seconds I had all his golds! but for about five minutes... he was convinced!

so what motivated me to be a thief? Various other thieves did... including Sneak who use to steal from my paladin who was just trying to make her way foraging branches outside the NE gate. Vermis who befriended my paladin and showed her that thieves weren't so bad but were actually a very close nit bunch and Starbear who broke my heart enough that I rebelled and joined the guild!

Fond memories, fond times, but we can keep them alive if people start role playing thier way around things!

Shaydee.
Re: The days of old 09/16/2006 07:41 AM CDT
<<<Vermis who befriended my paladin and showed her that thieves weren't so bad but were actually a very close nit bunch and Starbear who broke my heart enough that I rebelled and joined the guild!>>>

Vermis has been trying to get ahold of you (cough)
Good to know you are still about
Re: The days of old 09/16/2006 09:32 AM CDT
good to see ya back.

schvartzgonif

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: The days of old 10/20/2006 11:01 PM CDT
<<<<<Vermis who befriended my paladin and showed her that thieves weren't so bad but were actually a very close nit bunch and Starbear who broke my heart enough that I rebelled and joined the guild!>>>

Vermis has been trying to get ahold of you (cough)
Good to know you are still about >>>

Has he INDEED now. Well he can e mail at Greatalibi@play.net and the e mail will be forwarded to me. Will tell him my pigeon from there.

Shaydee.
Re: The days of old 10/21/2006 09:47 AM CDT
1. The boards are OOC, it's AIM

2. Pigeon is NOT IC either way

~Arwinia

It's mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.
Re: The days of old 10/21/2006 11:24 PM CDT
Shaydee you were the reason I didn't become a thief. You helped one of my characters acquire items from the thieves shop, and was just too nice. I had been thinking of playing a mean little &@$^@%#, but after you being so nice I couldn't run that kind of thief.

mfberg
Re: The days of old 10/22/2006 12:54 PM CDT
1. The boards are OOC, it's AIM

2. Pigeon is NOT IC either way

~Arwinia

actually it's whatever the hell we feel like calling it when we type it. Considering I don't use AIM program, I'm not going to go around say hey my AIM is ... or my Trillian is ...

I go around saying it's my owl. (it's better than a pidgeon.) And Considering that we as little ooc crap going through gweths and such, calling it as such is the least distracting. :-P

btw, I still luv ya. ;-P

Sothios Clan-Csencsits
Aesry Locksmith Union Representative
Re: The days of old 10/23/2006 09:43 AM CDT
>>calling it as such is the least distracting.

you're correct, it shouldn't be referanced outside of whispers at all.

~Arwinia

It's mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.
Re: The days of old 11/07/2006 12:29 AM CST
VERY unlikey it was me Mfberg but as far as I know thief shop items are not thief only any more. But beside the point and reguardless of that....... doubt very much I would have helped a non thief aquire any of them so unless you have a log of the incident I would say you are sadly delusioned!!!!

Keep dreaming.

Since when have I ever been NICE??????

Shay
Re: The days of old 11/07/2006 11:46 AM CST
As far as I remember it was just after the shop opened, but it may not have been you. I may just have highlighted your name as a friend because you threw food at my little 'Tog. Of course I didn't keep logs back then, I didn't think this would be around for 10 more years.

mfberg
Re: The days of old 11/07/2006 04:01 PM CST
If you're a tog its more likely that I did throw food at you.

Shaydee