Memoires of a Shady Elf 09/02/2002 09:12 PM CDT
you see a stack of parchments written in the flowing style of the elves, but in the crude common script on a cluttered shelf in Kalag's library, picking it up you read....

I am Ellyendil Tallomar, born on the 13th day of the 8th month of Skullcleaver the Dwarven Axe in the year of the Silver Unicorn, 315 years after the victory of Lanival the Redeemer. I am 54 years old, quite young for an elf, and have been a member of the shadow guild for almost 12 years. The time before that doesnt matter anymore, only now. The events in the guild are leading me to write this.

I became a thief, because I was an outcast in my own family. Most of my family are Warrior Mages, all disappointed for my lack of talent in the magical arts. So I left and made my way to the Crossings. Hungry, tired, I wandered the streets. Desperate for food I made my way to an inn in the shady side of town. A large cloaked figure seemed to be napping in a shadowy corner, his mutton left unattended on the table in front of him. Quietly I made my way there, and when I thought no one was looking, I snatched the mutton from the plate. Imagine my surprise at the pain that shot through my hand, I couldnt move, the stilletto pierced my hand pinning it to the table. My first introduction to our illustrious leader. He talked to me for a while, having captured my undivided attention. He asked my why I thought I could get away with his meal. Pleading hunger and desperation, he offered me a choice, to never be hungry again or desperate (dead), or to learn to better guage my chances on making it through another day, well fed and safe. I chose the later. He told me to find his lair, if I could he would teach what I needed to know to survive in the harshness of Elanthia.

I searched the streets of the crossing for 4 days looking for his lair. On the 5th day, I saw a shadowy figure enter *********** after following him for a bit he disappeared from view. I searched and searched, suddenly I was dragged into a dark room, voices asking what I was doing, what I wanted. I told them, and they tossed me through a door, right at his feet. He smirked at me, took me off to the side, and said as my reward he would teach me. He told me that we were a brotherhood, not just a guild. Everyone out in the world of light was against us, only suffering our presence for a minor few of our skills that they would use us for. Never trust them he said, you can only rely on your brothers and sisters. Dont trust them completely either for we all have our own agenda, but they will be the only ones who will understand you. Be there for you when times are tough, for they know what you are going through and have been there before. He taught me many things over the years, and his associates in other provinces. The lessons always hard, the results always worth it.

Not all in the brotherhood do I love, or even tolerate, and dare I say some dislike me too. We all cant get along, we are refuse of society. We believe that the laws of the land do not apply to us, even while we sit in jail or the stocks we just wonder how to do it so we dont end up back in jail or the stocks. But there is one law we must obey. The law of the brotherhood, our secrets stay secret, or the revealer dies. We dont not bring attention to the brotherhood, for it makes our daily lives harder if we are known an recognised, vigilant guards or shopkeepers could keep any of us from eating that day. Never betray the guild, that is the worst that a brother could ever do, and betrayl is repaid with death. There is but one way to leave the guild and that is face first in the river, as an example to others. None of our secrets can leave the guild, once you know them, death is the only exit. Lately it seems some of my brothers (sisters too, I have not forgotten you ladies, but brothers is shorter) seemed to have forgotten this.

The blatant shouting of "I am a thief" rings through the city, I ask my brothers to keep to the shadows. They will hear you, life is hard, there is nothing wrong with that, for it makes us strong. But to beat the hammer against our own heads will not make us stronger, fanning the flames of justice by openly using our skills or claiming our brotherhood in the light of day, out of the safety of the shadows and back alleys, does nothing but betray the guild. This sad state of affairs in the brotherhood can only lead to our destruction. I for one will be slipping back into the shadows, watching, waiting. Those that bring light to our activities, pray I am not in the shadows watching, for retribution will be swift, and silent, with none but you the wiser.

The parchment ends there shaking your head, you mull over his words..