Why I joined, left, and came back (long post) 07/09/2002 12:58 PM CDT
I first started playing DR about 3 years ago and my first character was a thief. I enjoyed the game and it gave me something to do in my mass off time from work. (I am stationed in Japan in the Navy, the off time thing was a joke) Anyways, I played my thief up to 20th and he was an impressive thing indeed in my eyes. then I was given a pouch in front of the old bank. a pouch full of master irons. I sold them all and made a good deal of plats. I then bought myself stylin clothes and gear and became the laughing-stock of my naval DR community. They all went on to become respectable players IG while I just made plats. I couldn't hunt with them anymore and didn't want to, I became a rich, rich, filthy rich lil bugger. Anyways, I got tired of that life and re-rolled, played a cleric for a while and got tired of that, so I played a Dark Paladin, Again with the whole 20th thing then I sat at the bank and did nuthing. I stopped playing DR for a while and focused on other things in my life. when I came back and started playing mah lil pallie again all my friends here in japan that I played DR with, the same ones who laughed at me before for all that I did IG, were miserable, and had all given up on thier previous characters also buying new ones from Egroups. Now it was my turn to laugh, I poked fun at them for buying characters and playing someone elses character. I had fun with it. but things changed. One of my buddys had bought a mid-level thief, and was butchering evrything he did, blurting guild secrets, and acting a general fool. I wonderd what the creator would say if he saw what happened to his character's good name. The original player was forced out of DR due to some unforseen circumstances and had to sell his character. This thief had an excellent reputation as a thief, was well respected by peers and had a good name. it pained me to see my buddy butchering such a good thieves life and not even knowing that he was doing it. people would tell him IG but he would shrug it off not thinking of it. I was yet again Tired of MY characters guild (the pallie) and decided it was time for a change again, so I offered to play the thief for a bit to see if I couldn't get back into the knack of thievin again. I had an overall good time, infact way better than the tin can I was playin. My buddy decided to give me the thief after I told him how he was destroying a good name and a good memory to those IG that knew him. So its like this, I left and came back to the thieves guild. And I play a bought thief, scoff if you want or stab me in the back, but don't turn your back on all chracters just because they are bought. I would like to think that I have restored some faith into the good name which I play under now. Once a thief Always a thief, it's like riding a bike, you never forget how and once you get on ya just pick it back up automatically, I hit a few snags here and there but I think that for the most part I have done a good job. I would like to know what you think for those of you who have crossed my path IG so if you could send me an E-mail to Bennettj13@yahoo.com

In case I got a lil off topic there, I came back because of the guild. It always has been and always will be the best one in Elanthia. Not because of the cool abilities we get or our super inside edge on life in the realms ::snickers:: but because of the people in the guild. Mebbe not so much now as it once was, but regardless the people make the guild and the brethren that makes up the thieves guild, though sometimes vauge is still a lil family. one of the closest ones I am allowed to have over here in Japan.

If you see me in the realms, don't be afraid to say hi, but for those of you that would like to look down on me still, don't bother. I have played my character now for quite a while and very few people could even tell that there was a change in my chars behavior now that I play I feel I have done a good job and have been told so by several other players that knew the old char and now me.

Your brother in shadow,
Dhani Furrowfist
Re: Why I joined, left, and came back (long post) 07/09/2002 01:15 PM CDT
First... Welcome Back. :P

<<I wonderd what the creator would say if he saw what happened to his character's good name. The original player was forced out of DR due to some unforseen circumstances and had to sell his character.>>

He didn't have to sell his character. He sought personal gain with his DR departure and sold out. If someone was truely worried about their (ex) characters reputation then it's simple...if you're going to leave freeze the character. It'll still be there years from now if you decide to return and someone isn't running around with him in the mean time destroying his reputation.

Just had to say that...

~Brisbois~