Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 03:07 AM CDT
But at the same time, first aid has nothing to do with stereotypical Thiefly activities, as much as it helps you live longer. And on that note, it doesn't matter what either of us says because that's just how it works right now! Lets not get into this again.

~Fillia

"It's got that Catcher-in-the-Ryey- I-hate-the-world-and-the-world-hates-me-so-let's-commit-suicide ambience."
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 03:10 AM CDT
Our reqs are based on stereotypes? I wasnt aware a stereotypical moon mage worked first aid, while thieves don't. Who knew knowing how to tend your wounds without magic would not make sense for a non magic using survival guild. Silly.

~~From Hell

"Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."- Alfred Noyes
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 07:05 AM CDT
::covers her ears:: La la la! I can't heeear you!

~Fillia

"It's got that Catcher-in-the-Ryey- I-hate-the-world-and-the-world-hates-me-so-let's-commit-suicide ambience."
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 02:08 PM CDT
<<But at the same time, first aid has nothing to do with stereotypical Thiefly activities.

I disagree. FA is closest we get to understanding anatomy or undestanding harm and health to ones physical state. To be a assassin or killer or one who poisones one needs to be intimate with understanding these things to be truly grat at it.

Jack the ripper is still vry much believed to have been a doctor as one small example.

Then again I could be completely wrong. I'm just a player, this post is just my opinion and this is my disclaimer. I'm clueless and really don't know what the hell I'm typing.
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 02:20 PM CDT
So then, if that's the case, go join the Empath guild. They should be experts, by this point, on how to make someone's heart stop beating.

On that note, knowing how to look for herbs and their many uses is great for poison making, but first aid...is great if you want to gag someone with a string of bandages.

And I'm still not listening!

~Fillia

Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 02:28 PM CDT
<<And I'm still not listening!

head trama can do that.

Then again I could be completely wrong. I'm just a player, this post is just my opinion and this is my disclaimer. I'm clueless and really don't know what the hell I'm typing.
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 04:08 PM CDT
FA counts as a usable survival req for every other guild that has survival reqs. It makes sense for a barbarian to know about first aid but not a thief?

~~From Hell

Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 04:22 PM CDT
Constatine, once again, your point is silly. Us being able to circle on first aid, and skinning just because they're survivals would be like a barbarian getting to circle on light edges. It would be perfectly silly for a big Tog barb to go running around using a light edge and sling. They are inherently unbarbly.
-Wig
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 04:28 PM CDT
>>Constatine, once again, your point is silly. Us being able to circle on first aid, and skinning just because they're survivals would be like a barbarian getting to circle on light edges. It would be perfectly silly for a big Tog barb to go running around using a light edge and sling. They are inherently unbarbly.

Wait, you mean like they can right now?

Blue Fire
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 04:45 PM CDT
I thought barbs could circle on any weapon..be it LE or Sling or LT or staff sling or 2HE.
Re: Reqs 09/06/2004 06:25 PM CDT
<<Constatine, once again, your point is silly. Us being able to circle on first aid, and skinning just because they're survivals would be like a barbarian getting to circle on light edges. It would be perfectly silly for a big Tog barb to go running around using a light edge and sling. They are inherently unbarbly.
-Wig

well Solomon disagrees and the day is commin were FA and all survival will count.

I don't know what new requirments will be but it is to be in theory something like this.

say 100th thief
250 hide
250 stalk
250 steal
200 lockpicking
200 disarm
100 backstab

THEN 50 million survival bits. (random guessed number)

Yes many will have those bits in above litted skills and sya 400 or 500 or some such in them but many others may have 150 skinning or 200 swimming ranks... AND ALL THOSE BITS WILL COUNT. Including in FA...

So stop sweating it... it's commin this year, train FA all you want...

I don't know how many bits I get but I suspect/guess I will circle say 10 or more times. ON THESE! cause I got good base skills already... I actually get a good reason to train em some...

First Aid: 286 23%
Foraging: 242 08%
Skinning: 253 43%
Swimming: 219 04%

in short: FA Will count and will count soon. P-5 and new exp calculations/system for all guilds are next two big things for this year.

Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 02:04 AM CDT
Since the sarcasm in my post was apparantly lost. I'll at least say that yes, I know that barbs can circle on light edges. My point is that while yes, some guilds 'namely thieves' say that you should only circle on primarily thiefly skills, that ideal doesn't hold to other guilds in the same way.

A barb can circle on LE and staff sling as someone pointed out. And yes, as Soim posted, it's probably going away. It just seemed like such a blantant attempt at cookie cutting thieves when it came out, though it seemed to preach that we had choices, when the only choice we had was which 'thiefly' skill we wanted more in.

I for one am glad it's changing, not because I'll be able to circle a few more times, but because if I'm going to circle off only my thief skills, I don't want to be one of a million that do it. I'd really prefer for someone to circle off first aid, so that when I circle off backstab it makes for two totally different characters.
-Wig
Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 02:17 AM CDT
I honestly think the only skill guilds should not circle off of is stealing (minus thieves). Publically accepted guilds whom exist within provincial borders rewarding their members because of knowledge of an illegal activity does not seem to fly, and to my understanding, is why stealing was recently removed from all other guilds req fufilling skills. I hope that remains in the future.

~~From Hell

Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 09:24 AM CDT
<<well Solomon disagrees and the day is commin were FA and all survival will count.>>

<<So stop sweating it... it's commin this year, train FA all you want...>>

While I might not be as in the loop as you, as of yet, I have not seen anything to suggest that the bit system is any more then the vast majority of other pie in the sky systems that are talked about at Simcon and then never appear. You still complain about blowguns which were just around the corner what 2 years ago and have since been totally forgotten? Lets not get started with the bit system is coming and that will fix everything (ala just wait till POCs and then everything will be great in the Trader guild line that they were fed for years with zero releases) so don't worry about the lame reqs or we may find ourselves years down the road with no bit system (but its still coming) and still with nonsensical reqs.
Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 12:26 PM CDT
IIRC, empaths are lore prime and can't advance from the music skills. I'd have to ask someone to verify though.

It's not cookie cutter thieves. It's not ignoring the way that people want to play. Kalag doesn't care what you do so long as a certain range of skills are met. Consider it your 9th survival if it bothers you that much, and there's no rule saying that it can't be higher than your 'primary'. Try training things you want sometime and not just circle chasing, the game will be more fun.

-Krum, who of course is circle chasing trying to meet some number
Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 12:32 PM CDT
<Try training things you want sometime and not just circle chasing, the game will be more fun.

lol, till they nerf your ability to learn stuff you have fun learning. ie hiding for non-survival guilds.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 04:17 PM CDT
<<While I might not be as in the loop as you, as of yet, I have not seen anything to suggest that the bit system is any more then the vast majority of other pie in the sky systems that are talked about at Simcon and then never appear. You still complain about blowguns which were just around the corner what 2 years ago and have since been totally forgotten?

OK I got more to put in your pipe to smoke.

The poison blow gun thing was from a guild meeting with no guild guru or leader at it. It was just filler speak for one guild meeting.

The SOlomon bix exp thing was the TOP thing to be put out at simucon. THe ultimate discussion by the TOp GM and for all guilds.

If you can't see a differance then Pitty you for trying to raise a point because my counterpoint crushes yours. Blowguns may never come. the bit system is commin and commin this year.

Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 04:39 PM CDT
More so the person that intended to work on things like blow guns and rooftops no longer has any official affiliation to our guild. I would not hold your breath.

~~From Hell

Re: Reqs 09/07/2004 05:19 PM CDT
I'm still not convinced Soim. TOP GMs have been promising us stuff for years and years. We'll see.

~Fillia

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 01:04 AM CDT
<<TOP GMs have been promising us stuff for years and years. We'll see>>

Lets all hold our breaths and maybe we will see roof tops, if only in a hallucination before we pass out from lack of oxygen.

~~From Hell

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 02:36 AM CDT
I think I'd just end up seeing cupcakes dancing around my head before I passed out. Not that that wouldn't be pleasant in itself, disregarding that I wouldn't actually be able to eat them...

~Fillia

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 05:20 AM CDT
You obsession with cupcakes is really very unhealthy, if not disturbing.

~~From Hell

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 05:20 AM CDT
That said, I'm going to go polish all my rifles as I whisper sweet nothings to them.

~~From Hell

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 12:36 PM CDT
Hey! That's not fair! If you have more than one, you should donate one to me. I miss my little Blaine. :(

~Fillia

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 01:48 PM CDT
I'll take two!
Mine's lonely.

-Markhor
Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 08:19 PM CDT
>Jack the ripper is still vry much believed to have been a doctor as one small example.

Sorry Soim. Luv ya, and your logic is generally good. But jack the ripper was neither a thief, as we see them, nor an assassin. I agree with your main point, but that was not a good example.
Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 09:28 PM CDT
<<Sorry Soim. Luv ya, and your logic is generally good. But jack the ripper was neither a thief, as we see them, nor an assassin. I agree with your main point, but that was not a good example.

point taken... but I could have said look to history... Many a crook got stabbed or shot. To avoid reports being filed or going to a physician they took care of wounds thereselves. A form of first aid brought about by being a crook/thief.

Re: Reqs 09/08/2004 09:56 PM CDT

yep im waiting on new requirments to see how I fair.

You have 4828 survival ranks. thats in 14 skills
Survival Average: 380 (Total: 3808 in 10 included skills)
that means I got like 1020 ranks that don't count now in survival
but will LATER... Sweet...

Re: Reqs 09/11/2004 06:09 PM CDT
I read through these posts and only see...bit system...survivals I dot use...and confusion...someone dumby it down and explain whats going to happen for me? thanks

The mind behind Jostak

I have the power to take everything from you, including your life.

what's lost can be found, what's locked can be opened, what's your's can be mine
Re: Reqs 09/11/2004 08:36 PM CDT
>someone dumby it down and explain whats going to happen for me? thanks

The same thing we had before Jostak....

~Apprentice to Damaris

[Silvergryphon] "why are there 10 people dead in the cemetary?"
[Navak] "Well, it's a cemetary..."
Re: Reqs 09/11/2004 10:24 PM CDT
>>bit system<<

The most basic version: A higher rank takes more bits than a lower rank. Using completely made up numbers, for example, going from 20 ranks to 21 ranks may take 2,000 "bits" but going from rank 100 to rank 101 may take 20,000 bits. The 100-101 rank will be worth more than the 20-21 rank as far as circling requirements go.

GameMaster Risek
Thief Development Assistant
What you think is real is your reality. - Robert Kiyosaki
Re: Reqs 09/12/2004 02:35 PM CDT
>>More so the person that intended to work on things like blow guns and rooftops no longer has any official affiliation to our guild. I would not hold your breath.

... and had no official affiliation with the Thief Guild when those projects were originally picked up.

I distinctly recall the response to a "World Developer" working on blowguns.

-Natala
"If you were right and I was wrong
Why are you the one who's gone
And I'm still here."
-- Vertical Horizon "I'm Still Here"
Re: Reqs 09/12/2004 03:07 PM CDT
Natala has a good point. She was never officially associated with our guild. She just did a lot of things for us when she could have been working on say...the Ranger or Cleric guild instead. Or twiddling her thumbs. So it's not fair pointing accusatory fingers at her.

~Fillia

Re: Reqs 09/12/2004 03:11 PM CDT

points at Fillia... well everything is your fault then... <snicker>

I just felt like pointing a finger. Truth be told everything is my fault. Well not completely if you too precautions and wore the aluminum pyramid mind shields my mind ray May have been thwarted...

Re: Reqs 09/12/2004 03:16 PM CDT

<<I just felt like pointing a finger.>>

reminds me of the joke.

guy walks into the candy store and purchases 5 butterfingers. Gets to his car and looks in the shopping bag only to discover that he must have left one of them on the counter. So he walks back in the store, and the clerk happily gives him the finger.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Reqs 09/15/2004 01:08 PM CDT
> The most basic version: A higher rank takes more bits than a lower rank. Using completely made up numbers, for example, going from 20 ranks to 21 ranks may take 2,000 "bits" but going from rank 100 to rank 101 may take 20,000 bits. The 100-101 rank will be worth more than the 20-21 rank as far as circling requirements go.
>
> GameMaster Risek

Well, Risek, that tell me what a BIT is.
Now what's the BIT SYTEM? This thread, vague as it has been, is the first I've heard of it.

From what I've heard, it sounds like our current system of requirements is going to be replaced with something that counts all our "bits" in a given skill set and we just have to match a total. Is this anywhere near accurate?

-Markhor
Re: Reqs 09/15/2004 07:30 PM CDT
Mark this sounds like another one of those behind the sciene, you wont see a diffrance kinda thing.

~Apprentice to Damaris

< You clamp your fangs on a ship's rat's neck repeatedly gnashing it with heavy bites that rips away the adams apple and exposes the larynx.
You bellow a victorious howl that grows louder as it rips from your larynx.
Re: Reqs 09/15/2004 07:51 PM CDT
>>From what I've heard, it sounds like our current system of requirements is going to be replaced with something that counts all our "bits" in a given skill set and we just have to match a total. Is this anywhere near accurate?

A bit is the most basic unit of experience in the game. From the player point of view, you see ranks and percentage parts of ranks. From the code's point of view, the experience you're awarded and that you process into ranks is in the form of what we call bits.

We've had two major approaches to requirements so far.

1) Overall ranks in a set
This tended to push players in the direction of working their lowest skills, because it'd be easier to rank in those, and every rank was treated equally.

2) x ranks in your top y skills
This is our current system, and it makes it very difficult to do things like change what skills you use to circle. (Like if you somehow get to 100th circle with about 25 ranks of climbing, and you decide you want to use climbing to circle, you'll need to train a whole lot of climbing before it even begins to count.)

To understand what we're trying for now, you need to understand one more thing about the nature of ranks.

Every time you increase in rank, it requires more bits to increase again. To use completely made up numbers, to go from rank 5 to rank 6 you might need 200 bits, but to go from rank 6 to rank 7 you might need another 250 bits.

The new experience system will basically be an overall requirement that takes into account how many bits a particular rank actually represents.

This way, the fact that getting rank 201 of hiding is vastly more difficult than getting rank 26 of climbing is taken into account. You get credit for the extra work that your higher skills require.

On the other hand, any experience you gain in climbing can immediately count toward circling. So if you've been circling using lockpicking and you just can't bear to ever touch another box, the training you do in climbing counts right away, rather than only counting after your climbing ranks pass up your lockpicking ranks. You're not stuck going "I hate boxes so much, but I just can't bear to train the 200 ranks of climbing it'll take before I could circle again without using any boxes."

It might take you 10 or 15 ranks of climbing to get the same amount of credit you'd have gotten from 2 ranks of lockpicking, but those lower ranks also come a lot faster.

I hope that makes a bit more sense.

-Natala
And I'm still here."
Re: Reqs 09/15/2004 08:06 PM CDT
Natala, is there an ETA or even a possibly for HWN 04 for that release? If thats the case, I can hold off on circling till than. ::snickers:: But I like that idea...alot...

~Dalkin~

If its got two legs and you hear a thud...don't panic...I just killed another one.

>>>>Agonar, apparently taking an uncharacteristic trip to the north, strolls by, winks at Marlena, giggles oddly to himself, and continues his journey onward.
Re: Reqs 09/15/2004 08:47 PM CDT
>>Natala, is there an ETA or even a possibly for HWN 04 for that release? If thats the case, I can hold off on circling till than. ::snickers:: But I like that idea...alot...

If an ETA comes out on this one, it'll probably be from someone like Solomon or Jeremael. I'm not deeply involved with it enough that I could make an estimate, and I wouldn't be the right person to be giving one anyway (plus I've learned that my estimates are never NEVER right).

-Natala
And I'm still here."