Working on titles 05/16/2009 03:13 PM CDT
Thank you for the reply. I am happy that someone is actually working on them. I know titles are not exactly the most important thing but I enjoy them. I really appreciate that you working on this Tiesse, thank you.

Mujaki, Paladin of the people
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 12:08 AM CDT
>so I'm hoping to come up with good alternatives. Some things I'm thinking about using as substitutes are stats (mainly charisma), reputation, and confidence. Feel free to post your thoughts in the Den.

Without contemplating too much I can see 2 alternatives:

1) Defined at substitute with stated requirements + X ranks using Y skill. (ex. instead of substitute 125% hiding for Magic, it becomes requires stated ranks + 25 ranks in hiding)

2) What if charisma is used to reduce that percentage? So say set it such that every 4 points in charisma reduces the requirement by 1%, so at 99 charisma you need almost the same ranks in hiding as the skill you're substituting for because that's 125% - 24.75% = 100.25%. With 40 charisma, you're substituting 115% instead of 125%.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 05:24 PM CDT
>>2) What if charisma is used to reduce that percentage? So say set it such that every 4 points in charisma reduces the requirement by 1%, so at 99 charisma you need almost the same ranks in hiding as the skill you're substituting for because that's 125% - 24.75% = 100.25%. With 40 charisma, you're substituting 115% instead of 125%.

I rather like this suggestion. IT makes good logical sense to me. The smoother you are, the easier you can pull off your fake title.
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 05:29 PM CDT
>I rather like this suggestion. IT makes good logical sense to me. The smoother you are, the easier you can pull off your fake title.

I like it too conceptually, but unfortunately in a system that accommodates 2000 ranks, percentage use rarely ever makes sense. Unless it is by design that it will be purposely skewed to be extremely hard/impossible relative to the lower titles to attain the highest titles of the pretend guild, I think the former suggestion makes the most sense, albeit sounding more crude.

The intend with pretend titles has always been "roughly 10 circles above", which is equivilant to 40~60 ranks difference. With a percentage system however, at high levels it can easily escalate to several hundred rank difference.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 05:41 PM CDT
I'd like to be able to use the skills we have amassed already for the sake of RP be used in the pretend title system.

If i have 300 ranks in Basket Weaving, why should I have to have 200 ranks in Breath Holding for the Shoe Horn title in the Cobbler guild, when a Cobbler can get Shoe Horn with 100 ranks of Basket Weaving?

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 05:48 PM CDT
<<I like it too conceptually, but unfortunately in a system that accommodates 2000 ranks, percentage use rarely ever makes sense. Unless it is by design that it will be purposely skewed to be extremely hard/impossible relative to the lower titles to attain the highest titles of the pretend guild, I think the former suggestion makes the most sense, albeit sounding more crude.

That could be fixed by a cap on the amount extra needed. To make Charisma still have meaning at high ranks, the cap would also be reduced with training in CHA. Something like...

Titles require 125% of x skill to replace y skill capped at 100 ranks extra
Every point of charisma reduces the percent required by .5
Every 2 points of charisma reduces the cap by 1 rank.

Insert better numbers as appropriate.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 05:51 PM CDT
<<Every point of charisma reduces the percent required by .5

Erm... that should have read every point of charisma reduces the percent required by .25

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Working on titles 05/17/2009 05:54 PM CDT
>I'd like to be able to use the skills we have amassed already for the sake of RP be used in the pretend title system.

>If i have 300 ranks in Basket Weaving, why should I have to have 200 ranks in Breath Holding for the Shoe Horn title in the Cobbler guild, when a Cobbler can get Shoe Horn with 100 ranks of Basket Weaving?

Considering until recently my combats were slightly above stealths, that would have been really nice. I would've qualified a LOT more pretend titles had I had the option of using the actual skill requirements instead of the pretend ones.

While in some cases I can see skillset might be an issue, but seriously, how many guilded titles out there actually relied on a tert skill for which thieves had an advantage on?

Working on titles part II 05/17/2009 08:52 PM CDT
Not everyone cares that much about charisma. How would charisma fake strength needed for certain titles? If everything depends on charisma it will once again gear us towards a cookie cutter guild.

I just think the titles should not require such an insane amount of skill over the actual guilds needed skill. When it comes down to it if enough people say "Oh everyone calls him the Mammoth Rider" eventually he will be known by it. It is all just an RP tool with no true impact on how well you fight, tend, or cast magic.

I also do not like the fact that some titles are not available to us due to quests, soul state, or whatever. Once again in an RP sense if you can spread the rumor far enough everyone will truly believe you completed the quest.

All in all it is just an rp tool. It can't really hurt anyone. It is not like all the power tilting things people freak out about. No matter what when it comes down to it I will never be able to handle a well cast dragon breath. I am not asking for a counter as powerful as that. I am just asking for an rp tool that would make me and many others happy. BSing comes naturally to traders and thieves (maybe barbarians). Why can't we BS good enough to earn our titles a little easier?

Mujaki, Paladin of the people.
Re: Working on titles part II 05/19/2009 06:53 PM CDT
>BSing comes naturally to traders and thieves (maybe barbarians). Why can't we BS good enough to earn our titles a little easier?

because most of us aren't actual traders, thieves, or barbarians.
Re: Working on titles part II 05/19/2009 06:58 PM CDT
>because most of us aren't actual traders, thieves, or barbarians.

Did you bother to think or look at which folder you were in before posting?

This is the THIEVES folder. Discussion here is about/for THIEVES. And those that are in the THIEVES guild are indeed THIEVES.

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: Working on titles part II 05/24/2009 01:56 PM CDT
forums are out of character, i was speaking of us....out of character, aka, in the "real" world.