Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/10/2009 11:51 PM CDT
The dirt containers for our various abilities are cool, getting the dirt from them is showy, but in a subtle way.
My question is this: is PUSHing <container> to get our dirt meant to take us out of hiding? Typically I use dirt to overhunt, so I'm not able to rehide at melee. I keep some dirt in my special container still, but I've just started to SLIP the dirt from my backpack because I can get the dirt from it and stay hidden. Is this intentional, or...?

yes, there is a skill check based off hiding skill.

if your skill is that low than yes use slip till you can make the hiding skill check.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 01:06 AM CDT
>hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
HR>push vial
You come out of hiding.
You push the release catch on your silver vial, releasing some dirt into your hand.
>look
[The Crossing, Magen Road]
The whitewashed building before you is stark and functional. A sign mounted on it is hand painted and carved with cunning skill. White-robed figures and all manner of injured and infirm people stream in and out of a double door, leaving thin trails of blood on the spotless pavement. You also see a wide arch and a large wooden barrel.
Obvious paths: east, south, west.

My hiding must be REALLY bad if I'm failing checks against a barrel :(
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 01:13 AM CDT
I didn't even know there were other forms of those bags, are they all in the same shop or different?

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 03:29 AM CDT
They're all in the same shop, the uh...table I think? Yeah, I think it's a table that has the belt purse, vial, etc etc on it all hold dirt and work with the PUSH verb to get dirt out.
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 05:05 AM CDT
>My hiding must be REALLY bad if I'm failing checks against a barrel :(

It's not really against the barrel, more a case of a minimum amount of skill to be able to PUSH dirt from the container without coming out of hiding. I understand your point that there is nobody (at least that you can see) in the room to notice the action, but this answers the age old conundrum 'If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a noise?'

Synyster Shadowmaiden
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 05:16 AM CDT
the skill check isn't to see if you get spotted, but to see if you can actually do it in hiding.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 07:20 AM CDT
>hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

>push my purse
You stealthily push the release catch on your belt purse, carefully releasing some dirt into your hand.
>

you just need more hiding skill.
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 07:21 AM CDT
however, slip doesn't work the other way to put dirt back In the purse:

>slip dirt in my purse
You can't put that there!
>put dirt in my purse
You come out of hiding.
You briefly twist the top off of your belt purse, dumping some dirt inside it.
>hide
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Regarding Our Dirt Containers... (from ask the GMs) 04/11/2009 12:33 PM CDT
It kicks in at 150 ranks, or a little less while using darken.