Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 06:10 AM CDT
<<Theoretically, would a thief with 2000 ranks in every single skill be worse off than a thief with 2000 ranks in every skill minus one weapon, because the latter thief can actually bump up his confidence via stabbing creatures and use his boosted ranks to kill the first thief?>>

That question is very confusing.

There are 2 weapons usable in backstabing, 5 weapons used in sniping, and 14 weapons usable with ambush moves. (only weapons a thief can't use a guild move with are sling, staff sling and heavy thrown)

Confidence is modified up or down by hiding, stalking and steal. Not just backstab.

So hopefully you can clear up your thought experiment a bit.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 06:21 AM CDT
oh wait reread it a few times and i see what you are asking.

you are asking if the 2000 thing is a cap for actual ranks or actual and modified ranks

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 11:37 AM CDT
I think he's asking if there's a "penalty" if you can no longer raise confidence due to skill caps.

Yes, yes there is. I doubt you'd face many 2000 rank opponents though.
Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 02:23 PM CDT
JMF got it.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 03:43 PM CDT
<<I think he's asking if there's a "penalty" if you can no longer raise confidence due to skill caps.>>

a hard skill cap shouldn't effect confidence one iota though.

confidence is effected by success on a skill check it does care about what level that skill is at as long as you "succeed" (this is assuming that since it teaches to 2000 it will be a difficult enough task to modify confidence)

Yamcer

Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 04:09 PM CDT
>(this is assuming that since it teaches to 2000 it will be a difficult enough task to modify confidence)

Right, this is the part I was addressing. I think it was Zihnj in TF that was complaining that after the last stealth tweak, stealth skills weren't moving well for him in elder armadillos at 1400ish ranks.
Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 06:46 PM CDT
Can Zihnj still boost his confidnece when he's not learning much?

However, I think this theoretical questiosn touches on another problem on practicality, though. Eventually many will come to a point that it would be OOC to train more than the 2 or 3 weapons they use and forwhatever reason gaining confidence wtih those weapons may be more painful than otherwise, such as just coming out after a death.

I think it was said that there would be more ways to increase confidence in the future? Stealing would be a great way, i can totally imagine my thief smirking after a nice haul.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Theoretical Question on Confidence (from Ask the GM) 03/31/2009 07:50 PM CDT
officially, stealing does affect confidence.. granted very little.. would be great to get a bigger boost from that...
but there is at least one other way to get confidence boosted up quick enough..

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!