Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/14/2009 08:18 AM CST
>>I believe Backstab itself uses its own exp model. Ambush uses core stealth. (I could be wrong)

This doesn't seem to be the case, with Backstab, I mean. As a 20th Circle Thief with Combats/Stealths closing in on reqs for 30, my Backstabs are constantly stunning Sand Sprites and I'm unable to continue gaining experience in that skill. Can't seem to get it above concentrating even though my BS ranks are still within the teachable range.

By the time I hit concentrating my Hide/Stalk are ML or close and my mind is beginning to get murky.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/14/2009 02:35 PM CST
<<I'll see about dealing with backstab experience separately since it's meant to be an attack.

Excellent news, thanks Z.

Roger
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/14/2009 02:52 PM CST
heh.. Roger, you think 100 rank diff is bad.. I've got about the same deal.. but my hide/stalk is 300 ranks higher than backstab.. (and my hide and stalk still learns well)

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/14/2009 03:50 PM CST
That's because no shops (and only a few characters) in Elanthia are safe from you.

Roger
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/14/2009 04:23 PM CST
well, that is true.. lol..

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/15/2009 06:48 AM CST
My BS (255) still locks faster then my hiding(385)/stalking(355) in geni.

Leuc
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/15/2009 09:34 AM CST
BS at 255, you're on a wall rank. So of course its locking up quickly. Your hiding skill is post wall, so I bet its pulsing pretty nicely and clearing faster than you can gain exp. Stalking is a bit farther post wall than hiding, but the skill disparity (between hiding and stalking) says that the way you train stalking isn't earning you that much stalking exp.

Roger
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/15/2009 07:16 PM CST
Will do after I rank it here in a little and post my results.

Leuc
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/15/2009 07:18 PM CST
I just realized those numbers were guesstimates. BS is 258, hiding IS 385 and stalking is 358.

Leuc
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/17/2009 10:49 AM CST
I hadn't gotten a chance to play with the new stealth till just yesterday.
I wasn't able to move backstabbing past learning in (young) ogres with 116 in it. I thought their cap was like 140ish?
I could lock ME rather quickly though.

-V
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/17/2009 04:35 PM CST
young ogres are notoriously blind. Find a creature with more perception.

Super rockies in shard
Gargs
Swains
Vipers
Vines and Creepers
Marauders

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/18/2009 12:40 PM CST
If from what I hear that learning stealth caps have been brought down to weapon caps on critters is true..
(I don't remember reading that in an official post but I saw someone mention it, and I definitely stopped learning with what I was currently hunting - not ogres btw)
Then shouldn't the reverse be implemented and let something like young ogres teach better now?

Not really complaining, just arguing theoretics.

-V
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/18/2009 01:47 PM CST
>If from what I hear that learning stealth caps have been brought down to weapon caps on critters is true..<

That's not entirely true. But in general most creatures should teach to about where weapons teach. The cap is still based off of their perception.

-Z
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/18/2009 02:05 PM CST
>That's not entirely true. But in general most creatures should teach to about where weapons teach. The cap is still based off of their perception.<

I see.
Well then, carry on.

-V
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/18/2009 02:38 PM CST
I went into young ogres for the first time the day after the tweaks and couldn't get my backstab to move at ~100 ranks and was told it was due to them being "dumb" and having very low perception. Came back up to marauders and found they don't teach backstab quite as well as they did a week ago but still teach pretty well (can get bs locked but takes longer than locking both ME/LE while only backstabbing and jabbing)
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/19/2009 01:21 PM CST
Maybe I'm not understanding here, but if a creature teaches hiding/stalking about equal to weapons, and if we want to use hiding/stalking as our primary stealth, doesn't that mean we'll need to train weapons/defenses a lot higher in order to gain it off creatures?

I was training fairly nicely on sand sprites, but after the change, I couldn't learn past 120 hiding on them.

30th circle is 80 Weapon, 120 Hiding. So if I want to learn 10-20 more ranks of weapons off of Sprites, then I have to find another way to learn stealth instead of in combat.

If I try moving up to silver leucros at 80 weapon, I can't seem to kill them fast enough, so I've forced to train two separate skill sets. I tried hunting just leucros, but with my current defenses, I can't fight 3 at melee. 2 even bang me up.

I have 123 Evasion(learned through a class, not off sprites), 102 Multi-op, 83 Leather, and 98 Shield.

18 Ref/Str/Agi

I'm not angry or mad, just trying to understand the goal of making stealth and weapon training the same cap, when two guilds require stealth to be higher than weapons if you use stealth as your primary survival. Wouldn't it be kind of silly if magics capped equal to weapon and you could only effectively learn magic from combat.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/19/2009 02:06 PM CST
our requirements are MINIMUM requirements.. Don't ever settle for minimum requirements as your goal! Circling that way is BAD!

and either way, stealing is a great way to learn hiding and stalking.. that can easily supplement your hiding/stalking fix while you get your weapons up so you can hunt what you want to hunt... and there are a lot of creatures in the realms.. some are blind and melee orientated, some are reversed.. it's the spice of virtual life.

Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/19/2009 06:09 PM CST
>>doesn't that mean we'll need to train weapons/defenses a lot higher in order to gain it off creatures?

As a thief. Backstab can't be learned outside of combat unless you want to forever be in classes for it, but the rest are trainable out of combat (shoplifting) or in combat/hunting without necessarily actually having to expose yourself to hits you can't defend against or having to swing a weapon.

Granted, you'd be a fool not to train combats but it can be done if you are interested just in stealths and aren't a thief. Also, the farther up you go the more likely it is that any critter that can teach you will be able to hit you from afar in some fashion, whether that be with longer weapons, charging/pouncing, spells, webs, or ranged weapons.

TIP: work conservatively when deciding how far up to go with your lacking combats. Teaching ranges incorporate assumptions that you have enough combat/utility skills to handle any mistakes or bad situations you might encounter.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/19/2009 08:17 PM CST
>>30th circle is 80 Weapon, 120 Hiding.

Welcome to the the world that Warmages have dealt with for ages. 30th circle 120 TM, 90 weapon, parry 80.

It starts to get easier once you can move up to creatures that have a much larger range of teaching.

My only suggestion would be, don't train only for what's required of you for circle. If you do, you'll constantly be chasing a particular skill needed for circle.

~Tieriana~

PS. Atleast you have a way to train hiding outside of combat that's not listening to a class.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/19/2009 08:59 PM CST
Does the guard house still teach hiding and stalking to around 100?

A thief believes everybody steals.
Edward W. Howe
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/19/2009 09:03 PM CST
<<Does the guard house still teach hiding and stalking to around 100? >>

no, they got rid of the three or four guards that hung out in there

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/21/2009 02:33 AM CST
>>I believe Backstab itself uses its own exp model. Ambush uses core stealth. (I could be wrong)
This doesn't seem to be the case, with Backstab, I mean. As a 20th Circle Thief with Combats/Stealths closing in on reqs for 30, my Backstabs are constantly stunning Sand Sprites and I'm unable to continue gaining experience in that skill. Can't seem to get it above concentrating even though my BS ranks are still within the teachable range.
By the time I hit concentrating my Hide/Stalk are ML or close and my mind is beginning to get murky.

Having played with the new system for a while, I'm going to agree with this original post's observation. It seems that Backstab exp bits are lacking in comparison to Hide, Stalk, and Weapon.

Hunting like i normally do, on critters that are just at my level (day time i need to use dirt, night with max confidence i don't) Backstab is just not moving like hide and stalk. I get Heavy hits, stuns now and again, I kill things pretty slowly though since I use an Elven Telo. So it will take several strikes to kill a critter, but that should mean more exp bits, right?

Medium Edged: 239 57% mind lock
Hiding: 358 04% mind lock
Stalking: 335 67% mind lock
Backstab: 283 43% perplexing
Overall state of mind: fluid

You smirk to yourself, knowing you are at the absolute top of your game.

You assess your combat situation...

You (hidden and solidly balanced) are facing a red-bristled gremlin (1) at melee range.

H>mark all grem
You carefully size up the red-bristled gremlin, gauging its overall perception.
As you consider stealing from the red-bristled gremlin, you believe it's somewhat of a long shot.
You also eye the red-bristled gremlin over, trying to discern how much wealth it is carrying.
You feel highly confident in the accuracy of your judgement.
As you consider hiding around the red-bristled gremlin, it's about even odds.
As you consider an attempt to stalk the red-bristled gremlin, perhaps it's a little risky.
As you consider a stealthy assault on the red-bristled gremlin, it's somewhat of a long shot .
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Only using avoidance khri.

Yamcer

Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/21/2009 02:56 PM CST
<<I'll see about dealing with backstab experience separately since it's meant to be an attack.

That's straight from the boss man himself. We just have to be patient, trust in the mighty Z, and wait until he can get into backstab and fix the exp yield.

Roger
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/21/2009 08:24 PM CST
>>So it will take several strikes to kill a critter, but that should mean more exp bits, right?

Unless things have changed in how experience is awarded for a weaponskill (which I believe backstab is counted as a weaponskill for experience purposes even tho it's a survival skill) then not necessarily more attacks would equal more experience. Experience is awarded based on damage done, not number of attacks made.

Example: (disclaimer: numbers made up and i could be totally off on how this actually works)

Scenario 1: Critter has 100 points of vitality. You can do 40 pts of vitality damage per backstab. You can kill critter with 3 backstabs. You gain 40 bits of experience per attack. Yielding 120 bits of experience.

Scenario 2: Critter has 100 points of vitality. You can do 70 pts of vitality damage per backstab. You can kill critter with 2 backstabs. You gain 70 bits of experience per attack. Yielding 140 bits of experience.

In scenario 1 doing less damage but more attacks nets a lower ammount of experience than scenario 2 in which you only took 2 attacks to kill the same creature, but gained more experience.

Skills that fall under this experience model are all weapon skills (not including parry and multi), backstab and targeted magic.

For weaponskill experience it's always best to do the most ammount of damage to a creature that you can possibly do in the least ammount of attacks possible.

Perhaps you may want to try out a more damaging weapon and see if you have similar results as you do with your Telo

~Tieriana~
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/22/2009 05:01 AM CST
<<Experience is awarded based on damage done, not number of attacks made. >>

If i used a heavy puncture sabre I'd one shot kill em all the time. One attack per critter or five or six heavy strikes... i think the heavy strikes would net more exp per critter.

<<Perhaps you may want to try out a more damaging weapon and see if you have similar results as you do with your Telo>>

You might have a point if the ME skill wasn't getting mind locked along with hiding and stalking.

Yamcer

Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/22/2009 06:44 AM CST
> If i used a heavy puncture sabre I'd one shot kill em all the time. One attack per critter or five or six heavy strikes... i think the heavy strikes would net more exp per critter.

I don't know about backstab, but this is NOT the way it works for arrows/bolts. I learn much faster (ie: faster time from clear to lock) by using the best ammo I can get my hands on. This means I 1-hit everything (usually apocalyptic strike). Using crappy storebought junk ammo, I would take 2 or 3 hits to kill, and learn less in doing so. Targeting a body part that are not capped for damage (ie not a limb) is the key here, but shouldn't be a problem with backstab. Again, backstab might be different, but for weapons, you're much better off 1-hitting things than you are nicking them to death (another reason why LE/sling/etc all suck).

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/22/2009 07:01 AM CST
that doesn't seem to be the case with backstab.

I actually learn better, and build confidence better, by attack <ambush> right eye to death, rather than 1-hitting them every time bs with ye olde sabre.

based on the weapons model you'd think it would be different.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/22/2009 08:21 AM CST
Medium Edged: 239 57% mind lock (Wall Rank)
Hiding: 358 04% mind lock (1 Pre-Wall)
Stalking: 335 67% mind lock (Wall Rank)
Backstab: 283 43% perplexing (3 Post Wall)
Overall state of mind: fluid

It doesn't look like it's out of whack to me.

Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/22/2009 08:23 PM CST
>(another reason why LE/sling/etc all suck)

Sorry for the off-topic, but it really isn't fair to group LE and slings together. LE is a very viable weapon choice, slings are not.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/22/2009 10:07 PM CST
I prefer LE to ME for a couple of reasons.

I only use it for backstab, and hunting at level, I typically get a 1-hit kill anyway.

I like the 1 second rt and the ability to go immediately back into hiding.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/23/2009 10:33 PM CST
>>If i used a heavy puncture sabre I'd one shot kill em all the time. One attack per critter or five or six heavy strikes... i think the heavy strikes would net more exp per critter

ok, heavy punc sabre vs low/mod punc whatever...

we're assuming that 1 point of vitality damage = 1 point of exp

Critter has 100 vitality. heavy puncture weapon with backstab does 140 damage takes one shot to kill. Yields 140 exp.

Critter has 100 vitality. Low/mod puncture weapon with backstab does 20 pts of damage. takes 5 shots to kill. Yields 100 exp.

And yes I do believe that the damage difference between low/mod -> heavy is that great of a difference.

Reguardless. Critters have fairly static ammounts of vitality modified by hit location and the stat spread that critters are given. If it takes you 6 hits to do 100 vitality damage or 1 hit to do 100 vitality damage is irrelevant. yer still doing 100 vitality damage. the 6 hits is just taking you longer.

Also consider, because you are making 5-6 attacks from hidden that means that you are hiding/stalking 4-5 additional times(compared to 1 hide/stalk and 1 bs) on a critter gaining that much MORE experience in those respective skills which will cause your mind to murky faster. If you take less hide/stalk actions to kill a particular target you'll be killing faster, more efficiently and learning BS more evenly compared to your hide/stalk.

And just to make sure my position is clearly stated. If this is not how Backstab is working then it needs fixed to work in the same manner as weapons. Weaponskill experience should equal backstab experience while hunting assuming equal ranks in both skills. This is stated with the quantifier that weaponskill experience and backstab experience are going to appear different due to primary vs secondary pool sizes.

Actually, after typing that above, Are you SURE that your Weaponskill exp and Backstab exp are actually different? Is your weapon locking before backstab due to rank differences and pool size differences? May I suggest utilizing multiple weapon types to help aleviate this issue?

~Tieriana~
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/23/2009 11:17 PM CST
<<we're assuming that 1 point of vitality damage = 1 point of exp>>

You are assuming the attack is only to some sort of hit point pool. One of the good things about backstab (and viper poison) is the fact you can destroy the back, neck, or head and it doesn't mater if the critter has 1 vitality or a million, it is dead. (would be neat if undead could survive missing vital spots)

I've never been good with the whole wall rank thing. i don't follow them well and i probably don't understand them well. I posted numbers so people with a greater handle on it could point it out if they felt that might be the cause. Which Rmel did.

I have a feeling exp for backstab is coming from only one critter, where hide and stalk contest the whole room. I could be wrong in that assumption though.

For damage, i went and used a heavy puncture saber. Slaughtered gremlins in one strike, over and over. It only slowed down my hiding exp to the rate of my backstab exp, i didn't even mind lock hide and stalk. That could be a good thing, more time to hunt since i won't stop for a murky mind. But RL time wise... slower.

Something just seems a bit off with learning Backstab as a skill.

Yamcer

Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/26/2009 07:17 PM CST
>Critter has 100 vitality. heavy puncture weapon with backstab does 140 damage takes one shot to kill. Yields 140 exp.

>Critter has 100 vitality. Low/mod puncture weapon with backstab does 20 pts of damage. takes 5 shots to kill. Yields 100 exp.

Not really correct, from what I understand. For one, there is a cap on exp granted from a single blow. (Spam attacks such as CL or throwing blades circumvent this via multiple exp rewards.) Especially at higher ranks, I bet you won't get as much "overkill" exp. Plus, minimum exp for a brushing strike can be significant, especially when overhunting. I can lock weapons in armadillos without doing a single point of damage. Beyond that, I doubt the exp reward scales linearly with damage.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/26/2009 07:56 PM CST
>>JMF90's Post

I know it's not a linear scale. It was an assumption made for demonstrative purposes in hopes to explain somewhat of how the weaponskill experience system works.

I think my example shows the basics of how the system works. I know it does not show all of the intracacies of the system tho. Such as bottom cap for making the attempt even tho you miss (within a certain range) and all the rest of the nuances that go into the system.

~Tieriana~
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/26/2009 09:24 PM CST
It's more than minor nuances that I bring up. I'm saying the entire basis of your argument is incorrect due to oversimplification of the issue.
Re: New Stealth Tweaks and Backstab 01/27/2009 09:44 AM CST
I'd have to agree with JMF90 here. There are situations i lock BS quicker with <attack right eye> and doing little to no damage than one-shot BSing.