A good drink 07/02/2017 04:02 AM CDT
Disclaimer: This subject is targeted at those over 21 years old.

Ive recently learned a couple things about a good stiff drink.

While I dont like Johnny Walker in any color, I absolutely love Dalwhinnie Single Malt
While I on occasion drink Jack or Jim and have no problems mixing them with something, if you mix Bookers, thats committing sacrilege. Bookers is a pure sippin whisky.

So, whats your opinion on a good drink? For all thats holy, please no one say Schnapps.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: A good drink 07/02/2017 01:04 PM CDT
In general: the more expensive an alcohol, the less appropriate it is to be mixed, as the expensive nature is due to the flavors.

This same statement goes for ice, of any stripe, as well.

The exception to this rule is vodka, as modern distillation methods actually produce about 200 proof alcohol, then dilute it. The flavor of vodka is inherently determined by the local water supply. You can, rather famously, turn crap vodka into top tier vodka with a Britta filter.

If I'm not mistaken, Walker doesn't make any non-blended whiskeys or malts. Those tend to be a bit different in flavor than a single malt.

I always felt like there was a time and a place for all things. Cheap American Beer was great for a day long drinking event in the summer sun, like a river float. Full bodied micro-brews were great for a night on the town. Whiskey and water if I wanted something hard, as sugar mixers typically gave me the tar-poops later (TMI but you started it).

In general I liked American Whiskeys for the cheap price point, for sipping and getting drunk. I didn't have the tongue for an expensive one. But I hated Jack or Southern Comfort; too sweet and low in booze, and far too expensive when compared to similar quality and proofs.

I was more of a beer person; the lower ABV made it easier for me to pick the flavors out. Course I haven't had any booze in like 7 years. Had a drinking problem, so had to cut it out. I'm happier, family is happier, but I still enjoy talking about it sometimes.
Re: A good drink 07/03/2017 03:02 AM CDT
>>The exception to this rule is vodka, as modern distillation methods actually produce about 200 proof alcohol, then dilute it. The flavor of vodka is inherently determined by the local water supply. You can, rather famously, turn crap vodka into top tier vodka with a Britta filter.

That I did not know. Im not a fan of vodka, but I may have to try it out. Thanks for the info there.

As for beer, I havent seen the only beer I really like since I moved to the west coast. Strohs. Im no fan of micros or "craft" as some prefer to be called. A bit pricey for me. Bud gives me a hangover you wouldnt believe, and the only time I drink "Panther Piss" (Miller for those that didnt know) is on a day long fishing trip.

Wine, Iv never been able to get into. I do however get a huge laugh at the wine in a can and comes with a straw.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: A good drink 07/03/2017 11:51 AM CDT
>>That I did not know. Im not a fan of vodka, but I may have to try it out. Thanks for the info there.

I was amazed to see how different garbage-tier cheap plastic jug vodka tasted after running it two or three times through a filter.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A good drink 07/03/2017 04:56 PM CDT
Be aware that the vodka filter trick ruins the filter. It's actually cheaper to buy non-trash vodka than to buy trash vodka and a filter. If you can, try Titos. It's made in Texas, so I'm biased, but it's made from potatoes and wins awards. It's also cheap.
Re: A good drink 07/03/2017 05:37 PM CDT
Once had a Brita just for the vodka thing, hah.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A good drink 07/03/2017 08:41 PM CDT

>>try Titos

Dripping Springs is so much better.
Re: A good drink 07/03/2017 09:17 PM CDT
>I was amazed to see how different garbage-tier cheap plastic jug vodka tasted after running it two or three times through a filter.

Hey now, let's not insult the cleaning vodka. It's a vital household tool.

...of course alcohol is simply too expensive here in BC to keep cleaning vodka on hand.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: A good drink 07/04/2017 05:59 AM CDT
>...of course alcohol is simply too expensive here in BC to keep cleaning vodka on hand.

What would you use cleaning vodka for that wouldn't be better used with either isopropyl or something like bleach?
Re: A good drink 07/04/2017 07:26 AM CDT

Many theatrical wardrobe folks use vodka. I'd imagine its because someone is wearing that piece 8 times a week and it's good to deodorize a dry clean only piece that you only send out once a week.

Jalika