just curious 03/07/2007 05:00 AM CST
are there any WWII buffs in this guild? Im asking because in the last year or so Ive suddenly found myself buying all kinds of documentaries and books on WWII. Right now my interests lie around the battle of the Atlantic and the various U-boats. Its wierd because before I started reading these books I used to find all history books boring.

Sok player of Robert
Re: just curious 03/07/2007 05:44 AM CST
In college I was a fan of the history channel and used to leave it on all day while I would do school work and stuff. Think I've seen every "the secret weapons of the luftansa" to "v2 rockets; death from the skies!" show they have. Best one though was the one about the British Gurkas. Those guys are scary.

Farewell, remorse: all good to me is lost; Evil, be thou my good.
~Paradise Lost (bk. IX, l. 171)
Re: just curious 03/07/2007 06:34 AM CST
one of my uncles <now deceased> had 2 destroyers sunk under him while he was serving in the US navy in WW2.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: just curious 03/07/2007 12:17 PM CST
>>one of my uncles <now deceased> had 2 destroyers sunk under him while he was serving in the US navy in WW2.

closest my family got to WWII was my grandfather being an engineer on the b-17 and the b-29. maybe not being a war vet, but he was important part of it in his role.

>>In college I was a fan of the history channel and used to leave it on all day while I would do school work and stuff. Think I've seen every "the secret weapons of the luftansa" to "v2 rockets; death from the skies!" show they have. Best one though was the one about the British Gurkas. Those guys are scary.

while I admit the History Channel does have some good stuff, the real good ones I havent seen them air. Like the 1973 documentary The World at War or Nazis: A Warning from history. good stuff but a bit graphic.

Sok
Re: just curious 03/07/2007 05:24 PM CST
Huge fan of WW II history.

If you ever want to pick up an easy to play, and quick playing (plays in about an hour) WW II table top game check out Memoir 44. Days of Wonder is the publisher and has a decent website that is worth checking out. It is simply one of the best table top games ever designed, WWI, or otherwise.

If you want to get into a signifigant level of detail on the battles check out Osprey Publishing. You can find their books on the cheap through Ebay, half.com, etc... They are really unparalleled in the level of strategic and tactical detail, while remaining easy and quick to read and reference.

And folks always told me my degree in history was going to be useless...
Re: just curious 03/08/2007 12:08 AM CST
one movie I should have mentioned when I named those two documentaries is Das Boot: The Directors Cut. One hell of a movie on u-boats and from what Im told by historians and even mentioned is some of the books Im reading is that that movie is incredibly accurate except for the one scene where the chief engineer looses his mind

Sok
Re: just curious 03/08/2007 04:33 AM CST
<<one movie I should have mentioned when I named those two documentaries is Das Boot: The Directors Cut.

Step 1: Get a small room that 10 people will fit in. 1 Window and a means to turn off the AC / Up the Heat. Make sure the window / windows are blacked out.

Step 2: Get 2 bulbs for the room, a red and a white one.

Step 3: Get you and 9 of your friends to pack into said room and watch the movie.

Step 4: When the boat submerges, switch to the red light and close the window. turning off the AC or turning up the heat.

Step 5: When she again breaks the surface, goto the white light, open the window and do the AC / heat thing again.

It makes for a interesting viewing of the movie. And yes, I've done it.

Hrm... might have to try this at Simucon this year.

Me
Re: just curious 03/08/2007 10:40 AM CST
::squints:: Majorz! Your still around these parts? ::snickers::

I may have to try that one myself in a couple of weeks. Sounds like it would be interesting to say the least.

~Dalkin~
Re: just curious 03/13/2007 11:02 PM CDT
Way back in the day I played a game called P.T.O. (Pacific theater of operation) for the SNES, the game was packed full of information on the war in the pacific... was fun too. Because of that game i know alot of the pacific rim islands...
Re: just curious 03/14/2007 02:45 PM CDT
That game still sets the bar in terms of naval combat games even today.

Denz

Join Dragonrealms:The Fallen
And Play DR the way it was meant to be played

Customer service should never be considered an expense, It's an investment in the future
Re: just curious 03/16/2007 10:13 PM CDT
yea, to bad we will never see a new P.T.O. game released...or a variation of it.